* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:44 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
Riffs wrote:
I find (Tony Martin's) singing just doesn't suit the kind of music Iommi is best at creating.

You are so painfully wrong that I don't know if I should feel sorry for you or mock you.

As good as that performance is, I think that you're taking Riffs' dislike of TM just a bit too personally, Opsius.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:46 pm 

Riffs, it's just weird that you love Dio but hate Tony Martin when they are very similar. It kinda seems like you haven't heard the Martin era at all.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:48 pm 

That's a great performance, but give me early-80's-era Dio over that any day.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:52 pm 

Actually Ralf, Riffs has said before that he likes Martin as singer. It's just that he thinks that TM doesn't have the appropiate kind of singing voice for Sabbath (which I don't agree with, but still).

I guess I kind sort of understand him, as I have a similar problem with Ralf Scheepers. I mean, I love Rob Halford's voice, yet I can't stand Scheepers, nevermind that the latter is almost a carbon copy of the former. There's just something about RS that I find to be highly grating. Don't know if I'm being clear enough here.....

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:21 pm 

Martin is a fine singer, but not totally appropriate. And while he is similar to Dio, Iommi was still writing things that sounded sabbath-y when Dio was in the band. A lot more experimenting and traditional heavy metal was being produced with martin in the band. And I think that may have unfairly cast a strange light on how Martins voice is perceived.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:29 pm 

ralfikk123 wrote:
Riffs, it's just weird that you love Dio but hate Tony Martin when they are very similar. It kinda seems like you haven't heard the Martin era at all.

I bought all the Martin-era albums as soon as they came out, except Forbidden. I've listened to all this stuff countless times. I've also seen him live and everything. I'm not saying it makes me an expert (it doesn't) but I know the stuff really well. I just don't enjoy it much. There's something missing when Martin's there. I don't think they're all that similar, BTW. Ronnie had a lot of tricks up his sleeve and way more grit.

Anyways, all those old Ozzy, Dio and Martin albums are old news and we can enjoy them or not. But I'm interested in what one of the greatest band of all times is doing right now so I'd rather not derail the thread any further. We each have opinions on the old material and how the singers compare or not.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:18 am 

ralfikk123 wrote:
Yes I agree with Terri too, but my main reason for asking was that, how can you like Dio but hate Tony Martin when the two have such similar voices and styles. Seems a little odd. But yeah, let's focus on the album.

It's not odd to like one, but not the other.

I really like Tony's vox. There are songs from every era of Sabbath that I love.

But Dio's sound is just more distinctive than Tony Martin's. I can pick RJD out more easily than TM. And his lyrics were a real contribution to the mix, even though sometimes that too became overbearing.

You could probably plug Tony into a hundred different power metal acts, and he would sound really good. Dio might not work all that well, except in a few. But in Sabbath, the mix of his fantasy writing and the easily-identifiable voice, over Tony's more standard stylings, just puts RJD over the top for me.

It's not that I personally like one and hate the other, but I can see someone else feeling that way depending on what they like.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:58 am 

I like "God is Dead" just fine... it's middling Sabbath, but middling Sabbath is still pretty alright. The atmosphere is certainly there...

Yeah, Ozzy can't sing worth a shit, but he never could and he doesn't need to, because even the early albums didn't live from a "good" vocal performance, but from the eeriness of his voice... it just fits well. Expect the whole record to be better than "Never Say Die!", "Tyr" and "Forbidden" (my least favorite Sabbath albums) now... I'm quite happy with that.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:58 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NPbOFGZm18

Holy shit. This is it.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:17 pm 

Element_man wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NPbOFGZm18

Holy shit. This is it.

Okay, so the intro is a little like the eponymous track, but after that, it goes in a completely different direction. This is so much better than God Is Dead?, it actually gives me hope for a decent album. Which is good, because GID? went and shat all over that hope.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:20 pm 

Peroy wrote:
I like "God is Dead" just fine... it's middling Sabbath, but middling Sabbath is still pretty alright. The atmosphere is certainly there...

Yeah, Ozzy can't sing worth a shit, but he never could and he doesn't need to, because even the early albums didn't live from a "good" vocal performance, but from the eeriness of his voice... it just fits well. Expect the whole record to be better than "Never Say Die!", "Tyr" and "Forbidden" (my least favorite Sabbath albums) now... I'm quite happy with that.

While I would argue that Ozzy could sing back in his original stint in Sabbath, its inarguable that he could sing more then than he can now. He can't hit high notes at all anymore. Live he's just absolutely abysmal.
Hehe, foreskins.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:55 pm 

Crick wrote:
Peroy wrote:

While I would argue that Ozzy could sing back in his original stint in Sabbath, its inarguable that he could sing more then than he can now. He can't hit high notes at all anymore. Live he's just absolutely abysmal.

Yeah, but I'm not gonna see them live anyway and it works pretty fine on the record...

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:02 pm 

On the record I think he's fine, if not impressive.
Hehe, foreskins.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:22 pm 

Still kinda want to see them when they come to Indianapolis this August.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:39 pm 

Considering they have all this voice technology, they could just somehow program his voice to sound like the old albums. I mean they did that thing with Lennon's voice for the OLPC commercial.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:29 am 

Ralfick..you're not seriously thinking that that is a good idea, are you?

"End of the Beginning"...yeah, the song has a more interesting second half, but most of it still sounds like they're wallowing in their eponymous song and "Electric Funeral" at the same time. Gosh, I'm so impressed. :P..new Sabbath just makes me want to listen to Count Raven, and that's quite somethign as the Swedish band still annoys me sometimes, though I've grown a little warmer toward them in recent times. I'm not going to say these two new songs are complete garbage but come on, this is the band that released Sabbath Bloody Sabbath forty years ago! They should be far beyond this kind of stuff by now.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:48 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
"End of the Beginning"...yeah, the song has a more interesting second half, but most of it still sounds like they're wallowing in their eponymous song and "Electric Funeral" at the same time.

Yes, you're completely right. It's got loads of similarities to older classic Sabbath songs. You know what though? I don't even care. Because this sounds like classic Sabbath and that's what I want to hear at this stage in the game from these old bastards. This tune gives me hope that the rest of the album will have some cool, evil shit on it alongside some bluesy jams.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:54 pm 

I wonder why a band so old would rip off themselves in order to release a new album, when the source material is infinitely superior? why not doing some new songs NOT based so blatantly is their most known classics? At least TDYK sounded fresh, like they were trying honestly to make new stuff.

The money of the gigs and record sellings is always strong, I guess.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:44 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Ralfick..you're not seriously thinking that that is a good idea, are you?

My username is right there and you spelled it wrong :(

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:49 am 

After just seeing them live (in Sydney)...

Wow!

A lot of people write Ozzy off for being terribad etc...but coinsidering his age and history, he can still do the songs justice...and the two new tracks (God is dead, EOTB) fit in quite well, even if the reference the "old Sabbath" in the same way Death Magnetic worked for Metallica...

As for the album name...its better then the "tremble tremble" names that most metal bands seem to have these days...

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:56 am 

Yeah, it was a good show in Sydney. The eponymous song and War Pigs just went off.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:46 am 

Space_alligator wrote:
even if the reference the "old Sabbath" in the same way Death Magnetic worked for Metallica...

Good comparison. DM was shite and wannabe thrash, just like these new 2 songs are wannabe 70's Sabbath.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:48 am 

Death Magnetic had some good stuff on it, and I doubt this album will be that bad either. Sure, it'll probably be a 60-70% on MA's review scale, but eh, I doubt it will be shit. Just not great either, unfortunately.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:04 pm 

I'm kinda bummed they seem to be skipping Montreal on this tour.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:19 pm 

They added dates here in Australia long after the initial tour was announced. You might find they'll do the same there Riffs.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

DeathFog
Temporally-Displaced Fossil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:21 pm 

The newly announced song sounds way too similar to Black Sabbath. They seem to be running out of ideas.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:30 pm 

DeathFog wrote:
The newly announced song sounds way too similar to Black Sabbath. They seem to be running out of ideas.

After 45 years ??? Noooooo.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:38 pm 

They play god is dead on ozzy's boneyard last night, it was alright, though I would prefer another heaven and hell album.

CatFlatulence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:00 am 

The new track sounds like a horrible knock off of something off of Ozzmosis, with a shit ton more protools on Ozzy's voice. Nothing about it sounds reminiscent of Black Sabbath.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:09 am 

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind wrote:
DeathFog wrote:

I'm fairly certain he means the song Black Sabbath.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:39 am 

I don't see how that alters EWTM's point.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

DeathFog
Temporally-Displaced Fossil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:21 am 

Subrick wrote:
Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind wrote:

I'm fairly certain he means the song Black Sabbath.

I indeed meant the song Black Sabbath. They seem to be heading in the direction of their first 6 albums. If the rest of 18 albums were in the same vein, then recycling would be more or less inevitable, but it is 6 out of 18 and the last one was in 1975. On the other hand, considering that they haven't written anything like that in decades, it might be hard to generate such material now.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:47 am 

CatFlatulence wrote:
The new track sounds like a horrible knock off of something off of Ozzmosis, with a shit ton more protools on Ozzy's voice. Nothing about it sounds reminiscent of Black Sabbath.

Care to go more into depth about why you think this?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:22 pm 

As a heads up, Best Buy is releasing an exclusive version of the album with an extra bonus track in addition to the three already available on the deluxe edition titled Naïveté in Black. For what it's worth, I actually think that's a little clever.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/13+(Best+Buy+Exclusive)+-+CD/8980119.p?id=2699899&skuId=8980119&st=Black%20Sabbath%2013&lp=1&cp=1

Can't find anything concrete about bonus tracks included on the album in Japan, but I'll make an educated guess that there will be one given they recorded quite a few songs in total.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:15 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pkmTaT6hhY

New song Loner

I really like the riffs! But I hope the singing will be better on the album version. He's terrible out of tune most of the time.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:29 am 

Ozzy is so out of it it's not even funny. What the hell man. I've never heard him sing an entire scale out of key like that.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:49 pm 

Ugh..... With every new song that is released, I feel less of a need to get this album.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:06 pm 

What's to like here?!? I'm genuinely curious! The Loner is a third rate imitation of N.I.B done badly. Have you people not heard the old albums??
This is worse than Lulu. I believe they at least achieved what they intended with that album. Did Sabbath intend for this album to be good? In that case, they failed!

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:11 pm 

Opus wrote:
This is worse than Lulu.

*record scratch*

Okay man, let's keep our cool. You can't really compare that clusterfuck with this. New Sabbath is merely mediocre, and is in fact far from the absolute trainwreck that Lulu was.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:20 pm 

The video wouldn't load all the way for me, but eh, sounds pretty middle of the road like the other songs. Like Opus said it's basically N.I.B. Nothing great, but eh, it's hard to hate this stuff when it sounds like the old Sabbath. I doubt this will be very good but at the same time, there are worse things they could choose to sound just like. Just saying.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next