Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:20 am 

Seems like you guys are loving the new album. I think I need to get this asap.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:29 am 

Great to read all the positive comments regarding the new album. It only makes me want it even more though I will still hold back until the cd arrives. Come to think of it, I actually feel a bit relieved after spending so much on the ltd edition cd knowing it will be up to stndard. Any of the leaks have the bonus tracks on them?

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:34 am 

STORMM wrote:
Great to read all the positive comments regarding the new album. It only makes me want it even more though I will still hold back until the cd arrives. Come to think of it, I actually feel a bit relieved after spending so much on the ltd edition cd knowing it will be up to stndard. Any of the leaks have the bonus tracks on them?

Mine is like this:

Quote:
21/04/2013 23:31 392.122 folder.jpg
21/04/2013 23:31 2.694.617 Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn - 01 Evernight.mp3
21/04/2013 23:31 6.844.951 Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn - 02 Flammifer.mp3
21/04/2013 23:31 9.117.813 Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn - 03 Old Mornings Dawn.mp3
21/04/2013 23:31 9.213.944 Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn - 04 The White Tower.mp3
21/04/2013 23:31 9.154.594 Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn - 05 Caradhras.mp3
21/04/2013 23:31 8.037.807 Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn - 06 Of Pale White Morn.mp3
21/04/2013 23:31 7.716.396 Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn - 07 The Wandering Fire.mp3
21/04/2013 23:31 9.185.105 Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn - 08 Earthshine.mp3

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:27 am 

really pleased with the positive comments
going to be hard not listening to this until my Vinyl comes!
but i'm totally anal about not listening to albums i've pre-ordered :D

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:37 am 

@Basquestorm - bonus tracls must not have leaked yet, their titles are The Darkening of Valinor & With Fire and Sword. Thanks for the listing bro.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:13 pm 

Holy cow, I honestly wasn't expecting all of this positive feedback. I expected it to be a solid Summoning album worth of purchase for sure but you guys are making it out to be their best material yet. I'll reserve judgment until I hear it myself but I'm pretty sold on the descriptions I've heard so far (especially mentions of prominent guitars, which is why songs like "Long Lost to Where No Pathway Goes" stand out as being my favorite type of Summoning song).

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:17 pm 

THERE IS NOTHING FOR ME TO NITPICK ABOUT THIS ALBUM! :grumble:

Fucking 'tastic!
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Horace Bones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:24 pm 

I’m not going to download the bonus songs or a better quality rip. This current rip will suffice until my package from Napalm arrives.

I love Summoning’s discography, but I think OMD might be their crowning achievement. It is ridiculously flawless. It sounds so fucking primal, almost sort of tribal really. I can’t remember who mentioned it, but I can definitely sense a Dead Can Dance influence. Summoning’s last few releases all had that sweeping epic and bombastic feel to them. They sounded like songs you’d listen to at the tail end or very end of some long bloody battle. OMD sounds like songs you’d listen to as you march into battle…almost sounds like war drums in a lot of songs like in Of Pale White Morns and Darkened Eves. Caradhras’ vocals are absolutely epic in itself…the guitars in The White Tower, Christ man. I couldn’t even tell you which song I thought was my favorite. OMD is just one big conglomerate of pure unadulterated awesomeness.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:40 pm 

I must have listened to something different then...

Just finished all songs on Youtube. That was an severly underwhelming experience for me. It's not bad, that's for sure, but none of the songs could nearly rival my faves "Might and Glory" and "Land of the Dead" from Oath Bound or Stronghold's "Like Some Snow - White Marble Eyes". I didn't get a similar feeling to when I listened to those for the first time at all... the incredible melodies are just not there. Sure, production's fine and all (as far as one can tell from Youtube uploads), but still... something's missing.

A collection of acceptable, if somewhat hollow songs...

So, Oath Bound still stands strong as my favorite (and imo the best) Summoning release...

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 pm 

Peroy wrote:
Just finished all songs on Youtube. That was an severly underwhelming experience for me. It's not bad, that's for sure, but none of the songs could nearly rival my faves "Might and Glory" and "Land of the Dead" from Oath Bound or Stronghold's "Like Some Snow - White Marble Eyes". I didn't get a similar feeling to when I listened to those for the first time at all... the incredible melodies are just not there. Sure, production's fine and all (as far as one can tell from Youtube uploads), but still... something's missing.

Right, right. Sounds like I definitely need to hear it then, since those are some Summoning songs I particularly don't like.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:52 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Peroy wrote:

Right, right. Sounds like I definitely need to hear it then, since those are some Summoning songs I particularly don't like.

Excellent...

chaos_orb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:01 pm 

Just preordered the special box, although 39€ incl. shipping is a lot of money, but i'm afraid that it will be sold out soon. I would have preferred a version with only the bonus tracks and without all the other stuff that is in the box at a cheaper price.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:07 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Peroy wrote:

He's also a guy whose signature is a quote made by himself defending In Flames, so counting him as the album's only detractor so far continues to cement the reputation the album's started to make for itself.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:10 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
He's also a guy whose signature is a quote made by himself defending In Flames, so counting him as the album's only detractor so far continues to cement the reputation the album's started to make for itself.

Yes, that's me... but I think I can take that out now, since the other guy's not quoting me in his sig anymore... :)

Doesn't change anything about my reaction to the new Summoning, though...

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:31 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Holy cow, I honestly wasn't expecting all of this positive feedback. I expected it to be a solid Summoning album worth of purchase for sure but you guys are making it out to be their best material yet. I'll reserve judgment until I hear it myself but I'm pretty sold on the descriptions I've heard so far (especially mentions of prominent guitars, which is why songs like "Long Lost to Where No Pathway Goes" stand out as being my favorite type of Summoning song).

The sample earlier didn't do a whole lot for me but reading these comments is definitely painting a better picture of this release. Looks like I'll have to hear it over the weekend. "Long Lost to Where No Pathway Goes" is also my favorite Summoning song, so hearing more like that with lots of harmonies is always going to be a plus.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Horace Bones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:31 pm 

Honestly, I don’t think you can compare OMD to previous Summoning releases. It sounds like a whole different beast…there’s a lot more “stuff” going on than just guitar, synth line, guitar, drum machine, vocals. The drum machine differs in sound on almost every track, sounds almost like a tribal war drum. And I think I hear violins?

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:42 pm 

I am 6 songs in and wow, best album of the year easily. This is transcendent and if there ever was a word beyond epic I would use it. I believe it to be the best summoning album and lays waste to the Caladan Brood album which I like, but this is in a class of its own. Seriously I don't even know how I am going to listen to anything else this year. Oh and anyone worried about the black metal element of summoning getting lost has nothing to fear at all, if anything it seems like more focus has been put into the vocals and guitar orchestration. Incredible.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:56 pm 

Calm your tits, ladies. The best Summoning album is still Dol Goldur imo. Give this upstart release a while to sink in and then decide if it dethrones the time proven classics. That's not a decision you make after 2 listens. Don't let your excitement cloud your judgement.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:13 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Calm your tits, ladies. The best Summoning album is still Dol Goldur imo. Give this upstart release a while to sink in and then decide if it dethrones the time proven classics. That's not a decision you make after 2 listens. Don't let your excitement cloud your judgement.

Admittedly it has two of Summoning's best songs, probably, and two excellent ones besides that. I'd rank it as my favourite, but it should rather have the Nightshade Forests EP instead of Angbands Schmieden and the last three songs.

odinofasgard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:23 pm 

I'm 4 songs in and so far this sounds amazing. I don't know if I'll be able to call it their best album yet, but I still am really enjoying this. Also, expecting a grand finale song like some of their other albums.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:53 pm 

Its amazing as expected!!

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:13 pm 

You sons of bitches! I promised myself I would not listen to this until I had my copy. That meant no downloading leaked versions! And look what's being downloaded in my queue right now: OLD FUCKING MORNINGS DAWN. I blame everyone in the last two pages of this thread.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:21 pm 

ThePoop wrote:
You sons of bitches! I promised myself I would not listen to this until I had my copy. That meant no downloading leaked versions! And look what's being downloaded in my queue right now: OLD FUCKING MORNINGS DAWN. I blame everyone in the last two pages of this thread.

Don't blame me...

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:14 am 

Thank Ilúvatar! I thought this day would never come!

Now I just have to maintain my willpower and not listen to this leak, waiting until I'm literally holding it in my hands to listen to it out of some false sense of moral superiority...

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:23 am 

Inkshooter wrote:
Now I just have to maintain my willpower and not listen to this leak, waiting until I'm literally holding it in my hands to listen to it out of some false sense of moral superiority...

Good luck man. I couldn't make it. Be strong.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:19 am 

ThePoop wrote:
Inkshooter wrote:

Good luck man. I couldn't make it. Be strong.

If he does it, there will be a more epic achievement than Summoning´s album. :D

Until now I have listened to two songs in youtube, and I am still resisting! mainly because the sound quality is rubbish, anyway Caradhras is fucking amazing.

I am still very doubtful about purchasing the special edition, I dont find it very useful, they should release a digipack edition with the bonus.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:02 am 

All the hype in this thread prompted me to check out a couple of songs on youtube, and GOD DAMN. I don't have your willpower Inkshooter, and in this case I'm so, so glad I don't. :drool:

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:22 am 

Inkshooter wrote:
Thank Ilúvatar! I thought this day would never come!

Haha I am with you here Inkshooter, I have only heard the very first teaser trailer and that is all! It is killing me holding out but after forking out for the limited cd it would be wrong not too. Anyway, it has been a long time since I saw an album get as universally praised on here as much as this one, it is really great to see after such along wait.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:15 am 

STORMM wrote:
@Basquestorm - bonus tracls must not have leaked yet, their titles are The Darkening of Valinor & With Fire and Sword. Thanks for the listing bro.

No problem, man.

ThePoop wrote:

LOL!

At this moment, I can ONLY say that the first 3 songs are a PERFECT Summoning album start!
Although I need more time to digest the next ones.

Last edited by BasqueStorm on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:36 am 

So I have the album now and so far I'm liking it. On "Flammifer" and the (programmed) percussion on this is neat. Tribal, as was mention. That, and the melody with that guitar distortion under it, makes this a Summoning that's less bombastic and one more ethereal.

For those still thinking they'll wait it out, come to the dark side. I waited 7 years, and it sounds great.

After one whole listen, my pick for best song is "Caradhras". Those harmonies, man.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:59 pm 

Seems pretty damn good so far. I'm not really familiar with Summoning, but yeah, pretty epic and magisterial. They seem like a band with a real vision and scope to their music, and it's nice to see metal that doesn't fall back on cliches.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:24 pm 

ThePoop wrote:

You suck bro. Just sayin'. No balls.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:32 pm 

Yeah Summoning are definitely a strange beast. There's a black metal backbone for sure, but their use of programmed drums (tom-heavy, slow, little to no cymbals) and heavy reliance on sort of symphonic synths that don't even remotely pretend to be emulating traditional instruments makes their sound quite unique. Other than worship bands that take an obvious influence from Summoning, the closest thing I could compare them to would maybe be something like Falkenbach, but even then they're really different.

If you ever listen to Protector's other projects like DVKE or Ice Ages, you'll realize that his particular approach to writing and performing music is pretty idiosyncratic and probably the main reason why Summoning sound as unique/interesting as they do.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:38 pm 

Yeah, just finished - the last couple of songs were really strong, and "Caradhras" was also a monolithic track. Will be interesting to listen to this again when I'm not so distracted by searching for jobs. And check out more of their albums while I'm at it.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:36 pm 

Great new interview with both members: http://northwind-promotion.org/summoning-interview/ I found this bit funny about discussing the importance of programmed drums in Summoning:

Quote:
But I really am very satisfied with this huge flexibility that we have with our electric solutions. We can change any note, any pitch, any loudness anytime we want and exactly how we want it. We don’t have to talk with directors, or have some discussions with people who disagree with the way we want it to sound. We are no mainstream band that likes to show off with some huge orchestras as well and are really proud that we can manage to create all those albums just as a duo and not as a high budget company.

lol... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHWtLOryW_E

Horace Bones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:09 pm 

Interesting read.

I thought my overzealousness of OMD’s initial listen would have worn off by now, but I’ve been listening to OMD for 3 days straight …at home, at work, in the car, before I go to bed, …and I still can’t wait till the next time I get sit down and listen to it. Most of Summoning’s albums I had to listen maybe 3-5 times and let it soak in before I could distinguish if I really enjoyed it and which songs on the album I preferred. With OMD it was instantaneous. Every track hit me with, “This is fucking awesome!” …And actually I was pretty skeptical about this release and had rather moderate expectations going into it seeing as Oath Bound wasn’t particularly my favorite album. Hell, I even thought the OMD trailer wasn’t anything special really. But man, Old Morning’s Dawn is indeed something special.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:46 pm 

The new album is possibly their best yet. No shit.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:47 pm 

Just heard a YouTube upload of the title track. This is sounding really good! The drums I think are way better; even though they are programmed they are sounding more realistic, rather than the "thud....thud CRACK!....thud....thud CRACK!" that I've heard them do too many times. It gives the song a nice flow and groove that makes it feel like it passes by rather quickly, without it sounding like 9:30 song. Plus the guitar groove and synth line is incredibly catchy, although I still personally wish they would at least try an orchestra on a few songs. I just think it would sound way better. But that being said, the song still has tons of replay value. I can't wait to hear a higher quality version of it.

I'll listen to the rest of the songs a little bit later, but I'm excited!

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:33 pm 

"Caradhras" is the only one I've YouTubed so far and sweet fucking tits is it good. Really trying to hold off on hearing it, at least until a better leak comes along. :P

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:37 am 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Plus the guitar groove and synth line is incredibly catchy, although I still personally wish they would at least try an orchestra on a few songs.

Summoning wrote:
We are no mainstream band that likes to show off with some huge orchestras as well and are really proud that we can manage to create all those albums just as a duo and not as a high budget company.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next