Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mushbil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:31 pm 

I'm planning on purchasing a new vehicle in the coming months and building on building a audio system from the ground up. This will be a learning experience as this will be the first time I put together such a system, so I am doing a little research on the each type of speaker, required components, etc. So I'm hoping for any helpful hints from anyone who has experience with aftermarket stereo's.

I'd like to tailor it primarily toward metal, but I'm a sucker for the occasional bass filled edm track. Should I be looking for speakers that excel in a certain frequency range or ones that perform all across the board? Will I have to keep my cd's on hand or will I be able to maintain a similar quality level with an auxiliary input from an iPod?

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:30 pm 

Ipod input is fine. It depends on the quality of the mp3 file on there. For example a 128 or 160bitrate will sound quite flat but a 224 or 320bitrate will sound much better and I can't tell the difference between a 320 and a cd.

Alpine is a company I like. I have a 12inch type X subwoofer which was sufficient on it's own for my old civic but I had stock speakers. For metal I would go for a 12inch subwoofer. 10inch is the mostp recise but the least amount of boom so tends to be recomended for classical, and 15 inch is the most boomy but hte least amount of quality so is best for rap. Rock and metal falls inbetween so 12inch is good. Also make sure you get a good box for that sub as that can drastically effect the sound.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:09 am 

If the car you plan on buying is something from the past few years, you should be good with the audio system. Ive got a 2002 Nissan Maxima and its got a Bose system, but I was having huge problems with the cd player(the wiring made the speakers go out). I ended up buying this:
http://www.amazon.com/Naxa-NCA-670-Deta ... va+nca-670

CD's hardly even worked on it(skipped, etc), but when I plugged an mp3 player in it, it was amazing. There's a "loudness" button, where it really adds to it. Theres also another setting that you can adjust everything, giving even more bass.

I got a 64 gb zune hd for christmas a few years ago, and along with that cd deck, and I cant recommend it enough.

evil528e
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:54 pm 

I recommend Pioneer, Kenwood, or Alpine HU's, and Focal speakers if you can afford them. I have a Kenwood HU, front JL audio, and rear used MBQ speakers... which I hate. I wanna save for Focal. www.crutchfield.com has a TON of really good audio info.
http://www.facebook.com/stikrz <----because it's free!

MetalHeadNorm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:46 pm 

For head units I recommend Kenwood or Pioneer.

For actual speakers I recommend Pioneer or Polk Audio.

What do you mean by that? How quickly I reply?

Reply to topic