Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:27 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
I definitely liked it more on my 2nd or 3rd listen, but I think it's a different style than most of the black metal bands we like. I'd give it another listen or two and see what you think.

You're right in that it has badass riffs, but what I love in Monuments is the atmosphere and dark melodies. Maybe Maledictum needs to be approached more like a Tsjuder or Marduk album, or something.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:32 pm 

Yeah maybe... I don't know what it is, but Marduk really never sticks with me. Their first 4 albums are great, but everything after that has 1 or 2 awesome songs and that's about it. Serpent Sermon sounded pretty good, but still never really listened to it more than once. Actually saw it on sale for 10$ at the mall, but didn't get it haha.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:25 am 

DEPRESSIVE BLACK METAL:

Im new to the genre, im just familiar with Silencer, Lifelover, Shining, Life is Pain and Happy Days. Please do enlight me as i fairly liked the stuff i listed. Im looking for underground, lesser known jewels of this subgenre, dont avoid the obvious (i mean...lesser known bands that someone fond on the subgenre would know) as im pretty new to this.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:54 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
Yeah maybe... I don't know what it is, but Marduk really never sticks with me. Their first 4 albums are great, but everything after that has 1 or 2 awesome songs and that's about it. Serpent Sermon sounded pretty good, but still never really listened to it more than once. Actually saw it on sale for 10$ at the mall, but didn't get it haha.

That sums up Marduk. Dark Endless is great, but their more black metal efforts are generally less than impressive. Yeah, Serpent Sermon had a few promising moments though.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:50 am 

IanThrash wrote:
DEPRESSIVE BLACK METAL:

Im new to the genre, im just familiar with Silencer, Lifelover, Shining, Life is Pain and Happy Days. Please do enlight me as i fairly liked the stuff i listed. Im looking for underground, lesser known jewels of this subgenre, dont avoid the obvious (i mean...lesser known bands that someone fond on the subgenre would know) as im pretty new to this.

First off, I would recommend Hypothermia. It's the solo project of Kim from Lifelover and Life is Pain. So much good stuff in that discography with Rakbladsvalsen being my personal favorite. Trist (the one from the Czech Republic) is another great one. Long songs with very dark depressing riffs, sparse vocals. The atmosphere is great though. For some projects that have a little more variety to them Make A Change... Kill Yourself and Forgotten Tomb both have better musicianship in my opinion, than the average DSBM act. Also Be Persecuted from China. Definitely some quality stuff, especially in their last album.

If you like Lifelover, I suggest Apati. A lot of the riffs are like depressive rock, similar to Lifelover.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:35 am 

IanThrash wrote:
DEPRESSIVE BLACK METAL:

Vanhelga is an awesome swedish band with 1853 from Lifelover. Their second full-length "Höst" is really good.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:20 am 

IanThrash wrote:
DEPRESSIVE BLACK METAL:

Wigrid is one more in the traditional sense of depressive black metal, more moody burzum minus ambient if anything else, but it's black metal, it's depressing and it's good:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fnne1C3Owk

Weakling, again is more caustic, manic losing-grip on sanity type melancholic bm:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ0oeqrZuQI

Heretoir is more black metal mixed with depressive rock:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U55YbjXYaKs

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:59 pm 

Thanks guys, high quality stuff so far, im gonna check all the recommendations. Hypothermia is sick, great band man.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:11 pm 

Never heard Hypothermia, I will check them out. When I'm in the mood for DSBM I also like Wigrid, but it's been 8? years since a new album and he's still active? WTF. I like Blodulv (split up) and Blood Red Fog (very active) a lot too. Blodulv is more of a bare bones traditional black metal that just sounds really fucking depressing, it's good shit.

ahmedssmb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:22 am 

Some good fucking underground raw black metal bands to share with people who know well how to understand the true Art

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:02 pm 

^Many thanks, these will go on my cellphone for sure so i can check em out at school...

DraakUla
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:18 pm 

I wouldn't call Corpus Diavolis raw black metal, but their Revolucia album is pretty good

ahmedssmb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:17 pm 

DraakUla wrote:
I wouldn't call Corpus Diavolis raw black metal, but their Revolucia album is pretty good

For me they're "Satanic Black Metal" (It was defined as this too on the label where i ordered it), as you can notice this from the track titles or the samples added from the movie "Rosemary's Baby", To be honest it's perfect.

also the album (Occult Black Metal); "The Quite Eye Of Eternity" from the band "One Master" is highly recommended.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:22 pm 

Thanks for the recommendations on the last page folks. :)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:00 pm 

Sick6Six, I'm listening to Barshasketh, and it sounds quite good so far. Thanks! Reminds me of earlier Todtgelichter, with some a little more energetic riffs.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:19 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Sick6Six, I'm listening to Barshasketh, and it sounds quite good so far. Thanks! Reminds me of earlier Todtgelichter, with some a little more energetic riffs.

No prob! that album has actually grown on me quite a bit. I've been listening to it once every day or two and it's gotten better with more listens. Their first album is awesome too, but the second one is a step up for sure. I got both their albums and a shirt direct from the main guy in the band for a total of like 19£ with shipping included all the way to the US. I've talked to him a bit and he's very cool and appreciative of the support. Also if you haven't already, check out "The Will of Night" album by Pagan Hellfire, it's a lot more raw and simple than his latest release, but it's really awesome too :hail:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:43 pm 

Thanks, I did mean to delve further into Pagan Hellfire's stuff. I was indeed under the impression that the latest album was more polished and intricate than the earlier material, but I've never had problems with simple, raw black metal as long as the riffing is good, and the atmosphere is intact.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:43 am 

I really like the more epic black metal bands with better production with stuff like Immortal (including there side project), Enslaved, Bathory. What are some good epic black metal bands that make you feel like you are in the snowing of norway during the time of viking and stuff. Vocals can be either be Black metal or clean or both. I like better production, I don't really like that low fi stuff bands like mayhem does. Guitar solos are a plus.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:04 am 

^^ Have you checked out I? It has members of Immortal and Enslaved. Pretty epic stuff, and a few songs to me sound straight up like Immortal playing Bathory. It's fairly clean as far as production goes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPWM2nYPD-g

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:51 am 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
I really like the more epic black metal bands with better production with stuff like Immortal (including there side project), Enslaved, Bathory. What are some good epic black metal bands that make you feel like you are in the snowing of norway during the time of viking and stuff. Vocals can be either be Black metal or clean or both. I like better production, I don't really like that low fi stuff bands like mayhem does. Guitar solos are a plus.

Keep an eye on these guys, debut coming soon...

http://ifing.bandcamp.com/album/ifing

You should also try the last Finterforst album, very epic in a Moonsorrow type way, change of direction for them but excellent all the same.

I assume you know the Bathory worship bands such as Ereb Altor, Bloodshed Walhalla, Morrigan, Mayhemic Truth etc etc

The uk's Ildra might also appeal to you. Sort of a mix of Bathory meets Moonsorrow. There are quite a few acoustic folk interludes on the album though but they sound great.

Also Windir might also fit the bill hear, especially the last two albums.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:26 am 

IanThrash wrote:
DEPRESSIVE BLACK METAL:

A few more for you IanThrash, Nyktalgia, Sterbend, Thy Light and Strid who are one of the earliest in the style.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:44 am 

IanThrash wrote:
DEPRESSIVE BLACK METAL:

nocturnal depression, Abyssic hate, Gris, Striborg, Wedard, Woods of desolation, Austere, coldworld , An Autumn for crippled children, Xasthur, thy light, Sterbend and Black hate are all the bands i'm enjoying at the moment in that genre...maybe not so much 'thy light'

there's quite a few bands on here http://selfmutilationservices.com/

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:26 am 

I'd like to know some good blackened thrash bands, with more emphasis on the "black" part. Kind of like early Bathory, you know?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:05 am 

Impiety perhaps?
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Impiety/3583

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:37 am 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:

All stuff I've suggested before, but definitely some of the most epic black metal IMO and some of my personal favorites:
Griffar and Drakhian (Drakhian is a member of Griffar, but has a solo album that reminds me a lot of ATHOW)
I always thought of the band Lutomysl as being one of the most "epic" sounding bands, especially his last 4 releases.
The new Folkvang and Pagan Hellfire albums, was just talking about these a few posts ago :)

Here's a few rehashed youtube links:
Spoiler: show

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:42 am 

Celtic Frosted Flakes wrote:
I'd like to know some good blackened thrash bands, with more emphasis on the "black" part. Kind of like early Bathory, you know?

These maybe?

I absolutely fucking love this Dodsferd song...

Now I need to work :beer:

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:21 pm 

Thank you, Sick6six and Shouvince! Awesome bands! In return i give you Vanhelga, one of my favorite black metal bands as of now:

https://soundcloud.com/obscure-abhorrence/vanhelga-sorg

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:00 pm 

I'm not enjoying this Vanhelga. This kind of black metal works for me only if the melodies are particularly good, catchy or otherwise clever, like Cosmic Church. This is simply boring; quite irritating even. That song Lugn is among the better ones on Höst.

Is the first album substantially different?

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:28 pm 

Here's one for all you black metal connoisseurs out there,

Crown of Asteria - demo. very well done, and all by one woman - Meghan Wood
:bow: excellent stuff

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Cro ... iscography

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:40 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I'm not enjoying this Vanhelga. This kind of black metal works for me only if the melodies are particularly good, catchy or otherwise clever, like Cosmic Church. This is simply boring; quite irritating even. That song Lugn is among the better ones on Höst.

Is the first album substantially different?

I like the sort of heavily distorted riffs combined with the melancholic keyboards. But then again I am a huge fan of minimalistic music.

I'd say the debut isn't that different, but it isn't the same either.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:38 pm 

Okay, I'll be brief. So I don't know diddly-shit about Cascadian black metal aside from having heard Wolves in the Throne Room's debut; after sampling a few bands I've come to the conclusion that I like the riffing style and super-long, trance-like length of the songs but the specific breed of folk/ambient these bands use bores the shit out of me. Can you perhaps direct me to some consistently fast-paced Cascadian bands with minimal non-metal stuff in favor of riffs upon riffs upon riffs?

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:08 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Okay, I'll be brief. So I don't know diddly-shit about Cascadian black metal aside from having heard Wolves in the Throne Room's debut; after sampling a few bands I've come to the conclusion that I like the riffing style and super-long, trance-like length of the songs but the specific breed of folk/ambient these bands use bores the shit out of me. Can you perhaps direct me to some consistently fast-paced Cascadian bands with minimal non-metal stuff in favor of riffs upon riffs upon riffs?

So the first 'Cascadian' band I would recommend is Leech. Any of their demos are awesome, while still being a bit lo-fi they have some of the better songs I have heard in this style. The long untitled song from "We Pass Like Night, from Land to Land" and "10 Black Hymns" are more 'riffs upon riffs.'

Addaura is another good band. Very similar to WiTTR without much folk/ambient. Also check out Vattnet Viskar and Fell Voices. Both of them really are great at making that trance-inducing cascade (pun not intended) of riffs. Also, Woman is the Earth is not bad. Definitely use a lot of the styles cliches but they do it well.

Leech:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E9jsES-QUU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAh7k1a_eQ4

Addaura:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rSar9GFwME

Vattnet Viskar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C82wVtQBXkc

Fell Voices:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Ert0V_jXs

Woman is the Earth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnN2gaS8QSA

Last edited by ThePoop on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:26 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:

Leucosis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WTsZi3OmdU
First band that came to mind.

Entropia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2HC-kZ4IQg
Fresh band from Poland.

The Great Old Ones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O_kcYXoIQY
Personally, I fucking hated this album. I think it's generic as fuck and generally unimpressive. But they fit your request. MUCH prefer Leucosis.

Lake of Blood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkhr9RompSo
Under-rated, solid band.

ahmedssmb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:03 am 

STORMM wrote:
PillarofModern wrote:
thank all of you for recommending fucking delicious black metal, keep at it haha :D btw Drudkh is awesome

If you enjoy Drudkh you prob will enjoy this little beauty -

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Wa ... eln/302147

Also I reccommend you check out the latest Imperium Dekadenz album, great release.

Imperium Dekadenz, aside from their latest release, i own ...Und Die Welt Ward Kalt Und Leer (2006), which is very good.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:44 pm 

I've been into French BM for a long time, but mostly stuff from this millennium, such as Peste Noire, Mortifera, Sühnopfer, Autarcie, etc. For some reason I never got into the LLN until now. Though I am definitely not going to try and collect everything (as I am not a millionaire), I was wondering what you guys would say are the most essential releases of LLN? I already ordered the first three Mütiilation albums (Vampires...; Remains...; Black Millenium). So what other essentials should I be looking out for?

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:22 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QcIVPm11Jg

looking for stuff like this. Especially that epic break at 4mins in.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Flugeldufel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:54 pm 

The only non-Mutiilation LLN release I've got is Vlad Tepes/Belketre - March to the Black Holocaust. I'd definitely recommend it if you're into the former. And if you haven't heard them, you should get anything you can from S.V.E.S.T. Best French black metal I've heard in years.

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:02 pm 

I'm looking for noisy, droney black metal like the following:
Aluk Todolo "Occult Rock"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow1g4xd7gTM
Trist "Hin" from Hin-Fort
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ah4cVlBR0

The longer, more repetitive, denser, more atmospheric, more droney, the better.
So not things like Drudkh or WITTR, they're not really what I'm looking for. And even Walknut is just barely on the edge.
Ambient parts are fine, but I also want the incredibly noisy blasting sound (as in Trist).

Thanks!

ahmedssmb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:13 pm 

BeholdtheNicktopus wrote:
I'm looking for noisy, droney black metal like the following:
Aluk Todolo "Occult Rock"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow1g4xd7gTM
Trist "Hin" from Hin-Fort
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ah4cVlBR0

The longer, more repetitive, denser, more atmospheric, more droney, the better.
So not things like Drudkh or WITTR, they're not really what I'm looking for. And even Walknut is just barely on the edge.
Ambient parts are fine, but I also want the incredibly noisy blasting sound (as in Trist).

Thanks!

Would you like this.

UnholyBlasphemerAgainstGod
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:21 pm 

I'm looking for black metal with a creepy, horrifying atmosphere. Kind of like Dodsengel's mirium occultum. I don't mean like that crap, The Axis of Perdition. TAOP just sounds like noises to me, it's so boring, I actually fell asleep to it once. No, I'm looking for musical black metal.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 231  Next