Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:05 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Uh no? The show has a great cast and good writing, I'll follow it. Mads Mikkelsen is fucking awesome. Thanks to Necro for the tip and yes, Dhavernas is <3333333

I don't know what to believe in anymore!

So I guess I'll wait until more episodes come out so I can get an in-depth look.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:59 pm 

Believe in yourself, Zelkiiro. Always.

Spoiler: show

Eh, Lecter isn't THAT great thus far. Mikkelsen isn't doing a very vivid job at the character or anything. His suits are more interesting than he is, most of the time. I'll still keep on with the show for a while, though, it's fun.

Can't see what you guys are seeing in Dhavernas, to me she's very whatever. :P And Lawrence Fishburne is really starting to show his age. It's kind of funny.

About to watch the last episode of Spartacus. Me sad :(

EDIT: And it was epic. Awesome series. Can't wait to watch it all again.

HUMANBEANSv2
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:33 pm 

i have to chime in and give my praise to HANNIBAL, its cast, direction and camerawork/lighting really help elevate it above most of what's on network TV currently,
it's got a very dark tone but a crisp layer of sheen over everything, that reminds me a bit of DEXTER or AMERICAN PSYCHO,
and some imaginative writing concerning modes of death for the victims

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:06 am 

I'm worried by the fact that it's on network TV, but I'll give it a chance.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:36 am 

It airs late and is quite violent. It doesn't show that it's such a show.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:56 am 

HANNIBAL and THE FOLLOWING, best new shows this season!!!!

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:36 pm 

Anyone check out Defiance last night?
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:17 pm 

Looks promising, some clichéd scenes mixed in, but I'm cautiously optimistic so far.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:23 pm 

Does it get better after the first fourteen minutes? Those were some treacherous fourteen minutes...
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:52 pm 

I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode of Hannibal. I really had no interest in watching it and haven't paid any attention to the hype. But on a whim I gave in and it could possibly be one of my new favourite shows, depending on if the next episode delivers. What I enjoy most is it doesn't have those annoying flashback moments which seem common now with most shows, sure when he sees a crime scene he sees it happen for a minute but it doesn't remove or detract from the flow of the show. Plus humour is not present, too often shows have a comic relief to make the dark subject matter easier to swallow.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:46 pm 

I watched the first episode of Defiance yesterday and I liked it a lot. It's the 1hr25 pilot and I was quite impressed with how good it was. I like the setting (near future earth where many new Alien civilizations), you don't know all the details but you're not so lost either. The cast is pretty good (it included Julie who was in Dexter before) and the dialogues/story are alright albeit predictable sometimes but that's the first episode and it's a good introduction. The characters are interesting and there's a good amount of depth to them (the elvish Tarr family are gonna be pretty interesting). I also liked the use of the alien languages, not too much and well done. The show is a good combination of sci fi (slick special effects) drama and some comedy, I'll follow it for sure and I don't know, I found the first 14 minutes interesting, it served as a good intro for Nolan and Irisa. I'm pretty excited with this new show, I hope it won't disappoint.

It was so obvious that
when the lawman died, Nolan would be the new sheriff in town! That's very similar to Eureka...(meh show)

6000 posts!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:13 pm 

Defiance felt rushed, cliche in several aspects, and some of the acting/dialogue was pure cheeseball, like trying to be Firefly without much of the wit intact.

That said, it definitely had its moments and I'll keep watching. TV needs more good science fiction; I hope it grows into its own.

And yeah that was super cliche/obvious.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:23 am 

Orphan Black is legitimately good sci-fi; watch that instead.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:24 am 

Why not both?

Defiance certainly had its clichéd and pre-packaged moments, but I like the setting/atmosphere and the casting was decent. The pilot kept me entertained more than it did not. Maybe I'm easily satisfied, but I'd just love to see stuff happening and unfolding in the established world of the show and am interested in how they proceed from here on, story-, mood- and quality-wise. There's potential.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:00 pm 

darkeningday wrote:

At least include some content in your posts instead of being a pretentious asshole like you always do! I'll check out Orphan Black, I've been meaning to anyway...but it's really not the same style and not quite comparable and I know you're aware, it's like saying "ew don't watch Battlestar Galactica, watch X Files instead!"

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:28 pm 

Sort of surprised you guys are so excited about Hannibal ;). I mean it's passable and kind of neat in certain aspects, but...eh. Definitely hoping it gets better. So far the best thing about the show is Lecter's tie collection.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:35 pm 

I really like that they slowed way down last episode to let the gravity and fallout of events sink in.
Hannibal knocking out Caroline Dhavernas was also brutal and unexpected. The name of her character escapes me.

Last edited by Necroticism174 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:12 pm 

Well thanks for that spoiler, haven't seen episode 3 yet.

But yeah, the show is decent, not amazing. Nowhere near as good as The Americans.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:36 pm 

Whoops.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:21 pm 

Spoiler tag? :P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:26 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
So far the best thing about the show is Lecter's tie collection.

You saying that alone got me to want to watch the show .. I'm apparently an easy/selective attention sell.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:43 pm 

Hehehe. Well they are nice ties...

Just checked out the first episode of Orphan Black. Seems pretty neat so far. darkeningday looks like Felix. But...you know...like a manly, really broed out version. Totally straight, not-gay Felix at all, totally not gaaaay :thumbsup:

Also, anyone here watched the newer Ricky Gervais show Derek? I've been checking it out over the last couple days (didn't even know of its existence till this week) and I like it a lot so far. Don't recall any of you peoples mentioning anything about it before.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:09 pm 

I'm in the middle of the Orphan Black pilot. Liking it so far, writing and acting are both quite good!

Reminds me of Utopia in the sense that they're both stylish new British thriller-dramas. Seems like the Brits are taking over with some great TV lately. NWOBTV?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:26 am 

Metantoine wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

At least include some content in your posts instead of being a pretentious asshole like you always do! I'll check out Orphan Black, I've been meaning to anyway...but it's really not the same style and not quite comparable and I know you're aware, it's like saying "ew don't watch Battlestar Galactica, watch X Files instead!"

I'm sorry; I misread Nahsil's post as him thoroughly disliking it. I must've overlooked the latter part of his post during my early-hour skimming of M-A. I haven't actually finished the pilot of Defiance for myself but... the first half did not sit too well with me. I'm hoping it improves.

Glad you guys are digging Orphan Black! The second episode isn't as solid as the first but the third might actually be the strongest entry so far. Looking forward to watching tonight's episode as soon as I find the time for it. And U_S isn't actually the first to draw that comparison but... honestly? I'm flattered. Felix is a hawt d00d. Oh, and do note that Orphan Black is a product of BBC America, meaning that it's actually a US/Canadian co-production :P . IIRC, the entire cast is actually Canadian born.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:15 am 

Nahsil wrote:
I'm in the middle of the Orphan Black pilot. Liking it so far, writing and acting are both quite good!

Reminds me of Utopia in the sense that they're both stylish new British thriller-dramas. Seems like the Brits are taking over with some great TV lately. NWOBTV?

Orphan Black is really good! I have no idea why there are people making it comparisons to Ringer (the one with Sarah Michelle Gellar). The entire storyline is completely far from it

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:45 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Glad you guys are digging Orphan Black! The second episode isn't as solid as the first but the third might actually be the strongest entry so far. Looking forward to watching tonight's episode as soon as I find the time for it. And U_S isn't actually the first to draw that comparison but... honestly? I'm flattered. Felix is a hawt d00d. Oh, and do note that Orphan Black is a product of BBC America, meaning that it's actually a US/Canadian co-production :P . IIRC, the entire cast is actually Canadian born.

:o but the accents!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:51 pm 

They're just THAT good. :lol:

I guess the woman who plays the foster mother of Sarah's child is Irish, though.

Slaytanic55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:05 pm 

Has anyone here checked out that new show on History Vikings? I've been watching it, and it's actually pretty solid. Sure, there are historical inaccuracies, but when you're basing a show on the life of a historical figure that was highly mysterious, written extensively about in Sagas, and questionably even existed, you're going to have to make some shit up. However, I do like how the producers included some lesser known historical facts, like the eating of psychedelic mushrooms in Uppsala. Overall, I'm glad to see some actual history on the History channel, and not just semi-literate rednecks shootin' dem gatahws :lol:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:47 pm 

I like Vikings. It's fun.

Wolfhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:42 am 

Slaytanic55 wrote:
Has anyone here checked out that new show on History Vikings?

Sure, great series with many historical details not fantasy like "Game of Thrones". And what is the most important - "Vikings" are about pagan era. Wardruna's music fulfiles the movie.

TRADE LIST: viewtopic.php?p=953460#p953460
WANT LIST: viewtopic.php?p=2545473#p2545473

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:32 pm 

Anyone else had the displeasure of watching the Zombieland: The Series pilot? After enduring Kirk Ward as Tallahassee, I can not imagine this show ever working without Woody Harrelson, and to a lesser extent Jesse Eisenberg. Their witty back and forth dialogue along with their effortless interacting really made the movie, without it it's just subpar rehashed material that's only a couple of notches higher than the Bill and Ted series.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:05 am 

I have no intention of watching Zombieland. They should have made brand new characters with their own personality quirks.

It's a shame, really. Everything was already in place for them to make a great series and they fucking blew it.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:29 am 

I watched the Orphan Black pilot today and this is indeed rather well done. Thanks for the rec.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:39 am 

In just looking at the promo photos for the show I can tell that I would hate it if I were to watch it. I mean...

Seriously?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:58 pm 

The latest Vikings episode was fun.

shroooooooooms!

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:58 pm 

Subrick wrote:
In just looking at the promo photos for the show I can tell that I would hate it if I were to watch it. I mean...
]http://entertainment.ie/images_content/rectangle/620x372/ZombielandTVShow.jpg
Seriously?

Yeah, the replacement for Columbus sounds like Justin Long, even has the same mannerisms. Maiara Walsh is disposable, Kirk Ward comes across as obnoxious and a total try-hard, and the little one tries to come across as cute and funny but it's so forced that it barely registers an emotion. Watching the show is like a dream you wished you never had.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:05 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
I watched the Orphan Black pilot today and this is indeed rather well done. Thanks for the rec.

Yeah, great show, I watched the 4 episodes this week, pretty damn good. The lead actress is so damn good, she's doing many different accents! And I must say I was very underwhelmed by the 2nd Defiance episode :(

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:20 pm 

I don't even REMEMBER the second Defiance episode. What happened again? Oh yeah, the spelunking stuff and stuff.

I do hope it gets better though.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:50 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Subrick wrote:
]http://entertainment.ie/images_content/rectangle/620x372/ZombielandTVShow.jpg
Seriously?

Yeah, the replacement for Columbus sounds like Justin Long, even has the same mannerisms. Maiara Walsh is disposable, Kirk Ward comes across as obnoxious and a total try-hard, and the little one tries to come across as cute and funny but it's so forced that it barely registers an emotion. Watching the show is like a dream you wished you never had.

So... What you're saying is that it is quite like the movie?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:45 am 

:lol:

I picked up the first season of Fringe at my local video store because I'm a masochist and I enjoy watching things I'm bound to hate. I was surprisingly not underwhelmed by the pilot, but I suppose my expectations were hovering around Hades (though not Tartarus--I still have standards) so it wasn't exactly a difficult bar to get over. I was less enamored of the next seven or so episodes, which basically felt like lighter, simplified X-Files, only with each entry concluding without any sort of satisfactory resolution (or, in many cases, any sort of even basic explanation). Still, it's not nearly as ghastly as I'd expected from its galling promotional material, which tried to spin it as "X-Files for the Ke$ha generation." Has anyone seen the entire series? Does it show constant improvement, where this increasing mass of unexplained loose-ends and logic gaps all satisfactorily lead up to something unique and exciting, or should I bail out before I start investing large chunks of non-refundable time into it?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 182  Next