Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
asphyXy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:45 am 

There is currently no organized method of tracking writing credits for individual songs, and I've noticed it being done several different ways on the Archives. For example, the newest Suffocation release has the writing credits listed right on the lineup page. Some albums have it under the "other staff" category, others have the writing credits at the top of the lyrics of each song, and a vast majority of albums don't have the writing credits listed at all. I think there should be a "Credits" link next to "Lyrics" link, where you can add names for "Music" and "Lyric" writing credits.

How about it?

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:44 am 

I've moved this topic to the "Site-related tasks" subforum, since it's more relevant here.

Now, you're right, there technically should be an "Info" section for each song (which ideally lists session/guest roles per track, too) but even if such a feature gets implemented, it makes sense to still have the credits listed in an artist's roles. The recommended approach is to always have lyrics/songwriting credits listed in the "Main line-up" tab, unless it's an artist different from a main line-up member (such as somebody else from another band writes the song or its lyrics... uncommon, but not unheard of).

Remember NOT to credit artists for cover tracks only, though. :p

asphyXy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:00 am 

In terms of neatness, I think having an Info link next to the song title on the track list page would be better. If songwriting credit were to be placed under the Main Lineup tab, the songwriting credits should be separate from the "position" field.
Take a look at the lineup tab on Suffocation's new album (blech!): http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Su ... lam/359844
This approach also adds "songwriting" to each artist's individual page: http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Derek_Boyer/7192 I think it would be more suitable for the "Misc staff" tab (or really, a separate tab for "Writing Credits")

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:41 am 

It's not that ugly, c'mon. :lol:

But seriously though, if we were to have an entirely new section per track to display that sort of data, it makes no sense to restrict it purely for songwriting and lyrical credits. We may as well use it for displaying any per-track credits any other artist might have (such as here, where Eon is also credited with additional synth on track 6).

Sure, we'd have a reflection of two different bits of info, but I personally don't see any harm in that...

asphyXy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:26 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
It's not that ugly, c'mon. :lol:

But seriously though, if we were to have an entirely new section per track to display that sort of data, it makes no sense to restrict it purely for songwriting and lyrical credits. We may as well use it for displaying any per-track credits any other artist might have (such as here, where Eon is also credited with additional synth on track 6).

Sure, we'd have a reflection of two different bits of info, but I personally don't see any harm in that...

I suppose you could do that. Maybe for the "Info" link on each song, you could have fields for Writing Credits - Music, Writing Credits- Lyrics, Guest Musicians, and Additional Notes (which would encompass the per-track credit like you mentioned).

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:06 pm 

A separate tab in the line-up for songwriting, lyrics, composing, whatever it's called, would be great. It would allow for songwriting credits to be listed in a separate tab on the artist page as well.

The per-song credits thing sounds nice, but how would that work in terms of normal band members? Would Dio be credited with lead vocals for every track on every Dio release?

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Reply to topic