Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:54 pm 

Gave "Shoot Today - Kill Tomorrow" a listen now anyway... yeah, that song's quite unremarkable, unfortunately. Comparable to some of the more average songs on "In War and Pieces".

Well, I'm still anticipating the full lenght release...

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:16 am 

They are streaming a new song called Stigmatized here: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=188564

Sounds pretty awesome and whats up with these fucking cool vocals from Tom Angelripper?!

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:36 am 

Whoa. That song sounds fucking awesome. Easily their best since the 2007 album.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:03 pm 

Stigmatized = Awesome

The vocals are 100% different, but I think that's just damn cool, personally. I must be weird because I loved the previous album as well, but if this song is anything to go by, I'm going to like this album a whole hell of a lot as well.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:13 pm 

Haha, one of the main riffs is just one of the riffs from Angel of Death played a bit higher.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

DreamOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:55 pm 

The song reminds me A LOT of "The New Elite" from Master, which is a good thing ;)

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:42 pm 

Now that's more fucking like it! Digging the hell out of Tom's vocals in this song and let's hope it's not the only one he takes this approach with, or is at least more varied throughout the album than just using the Araya-like yelling we're used to by now.

Although it's about as straightforward of a 3-minute burner from modern Sodom as can be expected, there's a tangible difference between what Makka is bringing to the band compared to how metronome-like Bobby had become. Granted, I'm not anticipating a Witchburner-level of a performance but I'm open to being surprised on that front.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:14 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Haha, one of the main riffs is just one of the riffs from Angel of Death played a bit higher.

There is nothing about this I am not okay with.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:09 am 

The first riff REALLY reminds me of some other Sodom song. Can't point my finger on it though. Anyway, definitely better than the bits of S.O.D.O.M. we could hear in the trailer (not surprisingly lame) and Shoot Today, Kill Tomorrow. Nothing special though.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:04 am 

Oddeye wrote:
They are streaming a new song called Stigmatized here: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=188564

Sounds pretty awesome and whats up with these fucking cool vocals from Tom Angelripper?!

Yeeeeeeessss! \m/

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:24 am 

Nnngg, not really blown away by this song, either... ... ...

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:37 am 

The new song reminds me a lot of newer Soulfly, except better. He even kind of sounds like Max Cavelera's half-hearted harsh vocals, but better. I'm digging it, but it's pretty straight forward... like new Soulfly.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:52 pm 

This song kicks ass. Thrash done right, new bands should take note.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:02 pm 

Vulvectomy - Orgasmic Sensation Through Fecal Ingestion

I love it when the final track on an album is my favorite. Quality start-to-finish, this one. :D

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:06 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:

I love it when the final track on an album is my favorite. Quality start-to-finish, this one. :D

That's a terrible album and the wrong thread... :P

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:17 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:

Sodom have taken a rather unfortunate direction.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:55 am 

Peroy wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:

That's a terrible album and the wrong thread... :P

Incorrect on one count (the former), correct on the other (the latter). :grumble:

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:47 am 

I finally gave "Shoot Today - Kill Tomorrow" and "Stigmatized" a listen. I've never heard Angelripper's vocals being so guttural before. Is that actually him? I assume it is, and I hope he continues that in future albums. Anyway, some were disappointed with the former song, but I quite enjoyed it.

I'm definitely looking forward to this one a lot more now.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:49 am 

Those are some nice vocals by Angelripper!! I like Stigmatized a lot. Sodom has been solid on record even in the 00s, though their latest was kind of flaccid in comparison. This one? Seems pretty energetic and vicious. Not bad guys, bring on the album!

mantelmann
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:24 pm 

The full album (without the bonus tracks) has leaked and is on Youtube now, it seems.
I didn't really have high expectations after In War and Pieces, but Epitome of Torture -the second half in particular- turned out surprisingly good.

The only thing that really bothers me is the title track.
It's not 'epitome of torture'. Not 'epi-tome of torture' (as even a lot of native English speakers would think) either.
It's fucking 'epi-tomb of torture'. Please don't play it live, ever.

Will definitely pick it up next week anyway, 'Cannibal' alone is worth it.

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:23 pm 

On a first listen it's kinda boring if you ask me. Pretty intense and all, but it lacks character and soul. Maybe it'll grow on me. But the sound definitely doesn't help.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:26 pm 

Gotta agree with the comment above me. I found this to be even more boring than the new Hypocrisy album. But then again, I'm not a huge Sodom fan to begin with.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:52 pm 

Full album is currently here though will likely be removed soon so enjoy it while you can. I'll get back on my opinion about it as I just started listening to it. Beginning really reminds me of Necromicon's newer stuff, particularly the vocals though which is not a bad thing.
Necronomicon - Magic Forest (re-recorded)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrPESGr3F4g

Sodom - Epitome of Torture (full album)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Lp80n2KB8

Exigence

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:07 pm 

Yeah, after one listen, did nothing for me. Can't remember a single riff. No character or identity aside from Angelripper doing his overly reverbed shouts as usual.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:40 am 

Lots of "boring" comments here. I think Sodom's still on a winning run here. It won't top some of their classics, but I think it'll still be a great album if the leaked songs are anything to go by.

I won't listen to the whole album. I'll wait. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:49 am 

I think it's pretty funny that a lot of people will think this rips and be loads better than their 90ies punky stuff simply because this is all-out aggressive thrash. At least their 90ies stuff stood on their own.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:56 am 

Burned through it once. It's a'ight, I like it, though I don't foresee it landing on any "Best of 2013" lists come end of the year.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:18 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
At least their 90ies stuff stood on their own.

That it does! Tapping the Vein and Get What You Deserve are the best ones from the 90's, but the others hold their own, too.

BastardHead: That's probably going to be my assessment when I hear it, as well.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:39 am 

Now I'm listening to the thing anyway... and I'm going extremely hard for My Final Bullet with its incredibly catchy chorus. Why couldn't they have released that song as a teaser instead of Shoot Today - Kill Tomorrow... ?

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:12 am 

It's a more melodic album than I expected... and Tom's vocals are great. This guy gets better and better with age, it's crazy...

The album itself... well, it's good. A bit better than "In War and Pieces" perhaps. Upper Third of the Sodom catalogue, around the level of Code Red, i'd say. At least after one listen.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:12 am 

Here's the video for 'Stigmatized'.
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/32290 ... ideo-here/

o_O It's weird and at the end it says 'to be continued'.

vk66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:58 am 

Yep, a weird video, indeed. Them playing live always made for better ones.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:58 am 

So this album has been officially out about 2 weeks. I listened to Shot Today - Kill Tomorrow and it was a turn off. I still decided if find the album at a store I will buy. But honestly I wasn't in a hurry. Yesterday I found a copy. At first I was disappointed but the album is growing on me. Especially My Final Bullet, Stigmatized and Into the Skies of War.

But goddamn I can't listen to S.O.D.O.M. or the title track with that terrible Epi-tomb pronunciation. That had to be intentional. So what does everyone else think. The topic has been dead for some time for an otherwise respected band.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:42 pm 

Delta_Wing wrote:
So this album has been officially out about 2 weeks. I listened to Shot Today - Kill Tomorrow and it was a turn off. I still decided if find the album at a store I will buy. But honestly I wasn't in a hurry. Yesterday I found a copy. At first I was disappointed but the album is growing on me. Especially My Final Bullet, Stigmatized and Into the Skies of War.

But goddamn I can't listen to S.O.D.O.M. or the title track with that terrible Epi-tomb pronunciation. That had to be intentional. So what does everyone else think. The topic has been dead for some time for an otherwise respected band.

Can't stand those anthem-like acronym songs (S.O.D.O.M.)..that one I can't listen to. Makes me instantly want to listen to another album. It's a quality album overall, but my enthusiasm for Sodom has waned over the years. Obsessed By Cruelty and a couple earlier albums are still my favorite. That moment when I first put the needle to my first-pressing vinyl of Persecution Mania was awesome and I remember it to this day - those guitars! This album is just another album, though I'd love to see Sodom live, as I haven't yet had the opportunity to do that.

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:24 pm 

I love Sodom and got a ton of albums and both double DVDs by them, and I really think they've been a band on autopilot for a while now, they just run through some generic motions that would fill a time slot at a huge metal fest, lots of predictable plodding songs to sandwich in between the expected classics.

I think if they went full speed for one new album I would be way into it, or even try to match the style of The Final Sign of Evil, cause I cannot fucking stand their nu-metalish sounding groove parts that go on way too fucking long, its boring and embarrassing.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:50 am 

If you take all of the albums post M-16 and compare them (I.e. S/t, In War and Pieces, and EoT) then Epitome of Torture in itself is a decent album, not as good and with more filler material than the self titled. But EoT is far better than In War and Pieces, because overall it's a more aggressive output, with stonger song wirting and less melodic leanings.There is a modern feel to this latest album again, but to call any of these later Sodom outputs embarrassing or groovy nu metal is undeserved. EoT definitely has some good moments but I don't think we will see an album that's all killer and no filler out of Sodom again. Still EoT is getting better with every spin I can even excuse the crazy pronouciation of Epitome, but S.O.D.O.M. is just down right bad.

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:35 am 

Personally, I prefer In War and pieces. Sure it's less aggressive, but so what? I always had a soft spot for Tapping the Vein and Get What You Deserve for their all-out aggression and intensity, but they had good songwriting. Epitome of Torture is just boring compared to them. Couple of good tracks, but that's it, the rest is pretty damn unremarkable. In War and Pieces had some bits I didn't enjoy, but overall I thought it had kinda good feel and sound (despite sounding too modern for my tastes), it had feeling (which wasn't just sounding ''br00tal''), from okay to pretty damn nice riffing (although more in the middle of the spectrum) and Tom's vocals were quite good honestly. He was pissed off but wasn't trying too hard to sound brutal and all. In War and Pieces had way more personality to it. Here, it's just gray and boring intensity.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:59 am 

To say that EoT is brutal just to be brutal is BS. There is plenty of melody found here. Into the Skies of War, Katjuscha and especially My Final Bullet have plenty of melody. In War... simply was to mello for my liking and I don't listen to Sodom for mello songs. Don't confuse lack of aggression for lack of melody. Persecution Mania is brutal and melodic at the same time. That's how I personally liked
Sodom.Just because I'm not hating on this new album and like it better than In War and
Pieces doesn't make that album a terrible out put, it's just a little boring for my
Tastes. To each their own.

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:09 pm 

I never said there wasn't any melody to be found. Sure some songs are more melodic than others, but the first four songs (with others) are just intensity without any payoff, even with melodic bits. Brutal stuff doesn't exclude melody at all. And I really don't get the confusing lack of aggression for lack of melody... or did you meant confusing aggression for lack of melody? Which I didn't confuse at all. But honestly, I don't find the Blackfire albums pretty brutal. It's speedy thrash, there's maybe a handful of ''brutal'' songs like Electrocution. Or maybe it's because they got a more massive production later on that I think that. And I'd hardly consider In War and Pieces mellow... I mean compared to anything Sodom released. In fact, I don't consider it that less intense than Epitome of Torture, it's just that I think it had something else going for it.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:17 pm 

I meant aggression doesn't mean lack of melody. Lol good catch. I can't go on MA at work anymore so typing all this off my phone sucks.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next