Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:18 pm 

Can someone recommend cold, atmospheric black metal in the vein of Setherial's Nord? Please avoid Sacramentum, Vinterland and other obvious names.

~Guest 307470
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:55 am 

Milo wrote:
Can someone recommend cold, atmospheric black metal in the vein of Setherial's Nord? Please avoid Sacramentum, Vinterland and other obvious names.

Personally, I've always thought Dawn's Slaughtersun to be of the same vain as Setherial's Nord, except a lot better on every level. A lot more sophisticated. Or hell, In The Nightside Eclipse by Emperor.

Can anyone think of any black metal artist more sophisticated than Emperor??

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:01 pm 

Sonic Atrocity wrote:
Milo wrote:

Personally, I've always thought Dawn's Slaughtersun to be of the same vain as Setherial's Nord, except a lot better on every level. A lot more sophisticated. Or hell, In The Nightside Eclipse by Emperor.

Can anyone think of any black metal artist more sophisticated than Emperor??

Obtained Enslavement came close on their finest album, Witchcraft.

AmberSilkAmbiguity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:57 pm 

Hidden in the Fog are very close to Emperor's elegance and sophistication. Try their last offering.

-Benedict de Spinoza

Mythics
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:07 am 

Not that I really care about the band, but does anyone know why Moloch (Ukr) is banned from MetalArea.org? Been a bit curious about it.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:16 pm 

Could someone recommend me bands that sound similar to landscape? I've never heard a black metal band sound like this. The whole 80's b-movie horror meets black metal sound going on is pretty unique and awesome. So, yeah any bands similar to this would be awesome and oh I already know dungeon synth and that's not really what im looking for.

Here's the m-a page for those not in the know: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Landscape/22409

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:45 am 

I may have a couple to recommend to you, whether they are a close match for you or not is up for you to decide eh?

Instinct from the UK might be worth a look, though this (awesome) track is more metal than ambient, but their early stuff, if you dig around, will have at least some appeal for you. Damn good underrated band...

Evilfeast, however, might be right up your alley. Heavy on the key-driven, atmosphere, but decent enough as it still contains plenty of shadow.

My collection

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:25 pm 

Looking for bands similar in style to Barathrum. I'm talking early Barathrum that was high on atmosphere, thick and plodding riffs and evil. eerie (like the album) ambiance.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:01 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
I may have a couple to recommend to you, whether they are a close match for you or not is up for you to decide eh?

Instinct from the UK might be worth a look, though this (awesome) track is more metal than ambient, but their early stuff, if you dig around, will have at least some appeal for you. Damn good underrated band...

Evilfeast, however, might be right up your alley. Heavy on the key-driven, atmosphere, but decent enough as it still contains plenty of shadow.

Thanks! I only have access to Internet at my University currently, but I appreciate it immensely and I wills check these recs out as soon as I can

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:19 pm 

I haven't posted for awhile, but I find this completely unknown 1 man band from Thailand to be very interesting. I got a couple of his releases from a friend in Thailand. They (he) sort of sound like a mix between Drudkh and Leviathan. Anyway I'm curious to see what some of you think. Some of their other stuff is a lot more raw than this.

ionstorm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:05 am 

Abyone advice band name like Dodheimsgard (prefer fast riff & drum not a slow,ambient band.)

Keine_Ahnung
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:12 am 

Hi. I'm looking for folk black metal along the lines of Windir, instrumentally and vocal-wise. Any ideas?

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:04 am 

Keine_Ahnung wrote:
Hi. I'm looking for folk black metal along the lines of Windir, instrumentally and vocal-wise. Any ideas?

Are you familiar with the other Sognametal bands? Sigtyr, Feigd, Cor Scorpii, Mistur. If not this is exactly where you want to start. All influenced by Windir and the local folk melodies as Valfar used.

Keine_Ahnung
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:49 pm 

Thanks, man. Didn't know we have some kind of a Windir scene going on.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:38 pm 

Does anyone have something good in the style of very early mayhem? Deathcrush, the demos etc.

Warlocks_amulet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:28 pm 

Looking for stuff similar to Ulver's Bergtatt album, excluding the obvious, Drudkh, etc.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:28 pm 

Warlocks_amulet wrote:
Looking for stuff similar to Ulver's Bergtatt album, excluding the obvious, Drudkh, etc.

Not familiar with that Ulver album, but am with Drudkh. Check my video post above /\

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:01 pm 

Warlocks_amulet wrote:

The very underrated, unknown German band Wolfhetan are very influenced by that particular Ulver album.
Check them out-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhDLVWul8bI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3usiPpyWmoo

Crucifux
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:53 pm 

Anything similar to Blut Aus Nord's and Behemoth's first albums? Something with that specific lo-fi fuzz, but really melodic.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:48 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
I haven't posted for awhile, but I find this completely unknown 1 man band from Thailand to be very interesting. I got a couple of his releases from a friend in Thailand. They (he) sort of sound like a mix between Drudkh and Leviathan. Anyway I'm curious to see what some of you think. Some of their other stuff is a lot more raw than this.

a bit clean cut for me but still, i quite like it.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:59 am 

I've looked through basically all of the well-known bands in black metal, and i find that their earliest albums tend to be their best. Does anyone know anything like this?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:02 am 

Stuff like the Norwegian classics with first albums that are the best of their discography and aren't well known. Tall order. :P

Lunar Reign's "Pacta Conventa Daemonum" fits the bill perfectly. One of my personal favs. Also consider Blazemth's "Fatherland".

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:20 pm 

Celtic Frosted Flakes wrote:
I've looked through basically all of the well-known bands in black metal, and i find that their earliest albums tend to be their best. Does anyone know anything like this?

Urkaos captures a lot of the old Emperor spirit in their music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4X-GLZcehU

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:52 pm 

Thanks, guys.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:55 pm 

I'll also check out those bands, thanks. I've been looking for more material in that style. Very little of second wave worship is nearly as good as the original; the quality bands always have their own style.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:19 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I'll also check out those bands, thanks. I've been looking for more material in that style. Very little of second wave worship is nearly as good as the original; the quality bands always have their own style.

Which bands? I know you have good taste in black metal, so I will check them out too

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:46 pm 

Lunar Reign, Blazemth, Urkaos.

PillarofModern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:54 pm 

Can someone recommend one-man projects (that are better than burzum lol, and no funny parodies like vegan black metal chef...getting already tired of anal blasphemy). I'm not really experienced in Black metal but the one-man project intrigues me.

EXTRA CREDIT:
Also, there's this one one-man-band project on metal-archives that I encountered through the "random band" button...a picture of a guy in a plague doctor mask-which is REALLY FUCKING COOL if anyone can find that or remember that please reply lol.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:07 pm 

Plague doctor: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Triste/64176

One mans I like: Judas Iscariot, Xasthur, Countess, Arckanum, I Shalt Become, Tjolgtjar, plenty more I'm sure.

PillarofModern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:11 pm 

Thanks, i will check out all of them one by one. However, this wasn't the plague doctor i was looking for lol but thanks :D

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:45 pm 

PillarofModern wrote:
Can someone recommend one-man projects (that are better than burzum lol, and no funny parodies like vegan black metal chef...getting already tired of anal blasphemy). I'm not really experienced in Black metal but the one-man project intrigues me.

Lutomysl, Folkvang and Pagan Hellfire are my favorite and still very active 1 man bands

There's also Leviathan and Sapthuran both from the USA

PillarofModern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:55 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
PillarofModern wrote:

Lutomysl, Folkvang and Pagan Hellfire are my favorite and still very active 1 man bands

There's also Leviathan and Sapthuran both from the USA

Thank you man \m/

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:25 pm 

Sapthuran, good one. Should have remembered myself, got "In Hatred" right here.
Quite an unheralded band.

PillarofModern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:56 pm 

Lol you should post their best songs too lilt the ones you would prefer for a noob to hear for first impressions

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:44 pm 

Hi guys, im looking for something in the vein of Taake, mainly their latest output (in a perfect world there would be more banjo solos in black metal jaja). The rock and roll feel is what im after, note that its not in the punk vein of, lets say, some of Darkthrone songs. Its different, black metal riffs with rock and roll tempos, decent production, good drumming, consistency, cold atmosphere while not beign atmospheric at all. Hope im clear :/ thanks!

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:13 am 

PillarofModern wrote:
Lol you should post their best songs too lilt the ones you would prefer for a noob to hear for first impressions
it's hard to go wrong with those bands IMO, just do a search on YouTube and check out some of their top songs. I can message you some good links tomorrow though

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:51 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Which bands? I know you have good taste in black metal, so I will check them out too

Well, by quality bands with their own style I meant great black metal bands that mostly don't ape the second wave classics that much, even when they're doubtless highly inspired by them.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:31 am 

PillarofModern wrote:

Alright if you haven't already then check these out:

Spoiler: show

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:42 am 

Pagan Hellfire sounds rather good. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. :)

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:59 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Pagan Hellfire sounds rather good. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. :)

No problem :) I'm surprised you never heard them (him) quite a beast of a 1 man band. He also did the drumming on the last few Folkvang releases.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 231  Next