Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:44 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Those guys' comics are to comics what Alcest is to black metal. Along with Gaiman.

Not really familiar with Alcest (or Gaiman) but hey, what can I say? I like Warren and Garth. Warren's themes are of particular interest to me, and Garth is like the Tarantino of comics (though I remember you saying that you hate Tarantino, so that probably doesn't mean much to you :-P).

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:48 pm 

Garth Ennis >>>>>>>>>>> Tarhacktino

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:10 pm 

Well, I wouldn't say that, in no small part due to the fact that they work with different media. The comparison stems more from the similarities in their personal styles; both have a series of pet themes which they adhere to with an iron grip, both usually write similar protagonists for their stories, and both usually make "love it or hate it" stuff. Plus, The Boys is like Inglorious Basterds + Superheroes :-P

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:19 pm 

The past two weeks I have been reading The Walking Dead Compendium 1 and 2. They contain every issue up to volume 17. I have volume 17 coming in the mail this week. The show inspired me to start reading them. I have become frustrated with the show. After reading the comics I have come to realize the show is as loosely based on them as possible. I would explain more but I don't want to spoil anything for anyone. I am more than three quarters of the way done with Compendium 2. I am trying to stretch it until Vol.17 arrives.

I know I am going to be done with The Walking Dead sooner then later so I have been looking into what to read next. I decided to order Crossed Vol.1 along with Vol.17 of the Walking Dead. I am totally new to the whole "Comic Book/Graphic Novel" thing. These grittier, graphic, and violent stories are what I am more interested in than super heroes and such. To my own ignorance I did not know these types of comics existed. I have been looking into anything by Garth Ennis. Seeing his name pop up in this thread is reassuring. I am contemplating checking out The Boys, Preacher, and Stiched. Anyone familiar with any of these comics? I am curious to see what others have to say about Crossed as well. I am excited to read it.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:14 pm 

Preacher was the comic that got me into comics, so to speak. I can't recommend it enough, but the last half of it's run does drag on a bit. Ennis's run on Punisher Max is also a must read (despite the title, there's no super-hero high-jinks). As for other, more serious titles, I recommend you check out Unnamed Soldier and DMZ, both Vertigo titles (a subsidiary of DC, I think) and both very gritty in their own right. Also, if you can manage to get your hands on it, grab Metabarons.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:51 am 

I read Black Summer this week. An awesome superheroes story with a twist. It's basically a weird, more realistic Watchmen. It's basically about a team of enhanced dudes who are dealing with what the most powerful dude did (he killed the president and all his advisers). It's not a spoiler since it's the first page haha. I'm a casual comic book fan but this one is highly recommended and thanks to Failsafeman for the rec, I'll explore what Warren Ellis did too. His take on Iron Man (Extremis) inspired the script of Iron Man 3, I read the first 2 parts.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:53 am 

Tim Vigil's Faust: Love of the Damned! Nuff said, apart from A+

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:26 pm 

Didn't read through the whole thread yet but some of my favorite comics were the Annihilation series and the Deadpool - Merc with a Mouth series. Planet hulk was great too but I haven't read much in the last couple years even though I have a ton of new stuff I need to get through

darkentries
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:34 am 

favourite comic book series....Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:58 am 

darkentries wrote:
favourite comic book series....Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

Ah, yes, I almost forgot about them :beer:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2