Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:48 pm 

So you have a favourite band, how far would you go to follow them? How much money would you spend on them, how far would you travel with them, would you transform your house into a kind of shrine to them?

Share stories about how far you have gone, or would go, in your pursuit of a band you enjoy.

I live in Australia but I moved to Netherlands for a few years in 1999. When I got there, I realized that Iron Maiden were touring and playing a show there in about two weeks (Ed Hunter tour). Of course, I had long missed out on presale tix because they went on sale long before I arrived there. So I decided to turn up at the concert venue on the night and 'see what happens'.

As soon as I got off at the Metro station at the venue, it was apparent there were scalpers. One came straight up to me and said '400 guldens'. That is over 250 Euro, and around 400 US? I didn't even give it a second thought. I pulled out wads of cash and gave them to him, too relieved to actually find a ticket to even try and haggle a better price or look further.

And then, as a bonus, I got in and realized Megadeth were opening for them.

Best 400 dollars I ever spent :)

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

dragmire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:01 pm 

For my favorite bands I would buy their album(s), a shirt, and see them live whenever they came within 50 miles or so. That's pretty much it. I probably wouldn't lay out $400 unless there was a one-night only Mr. Bungle reunion or something.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:02 pm 

Well seeing as Darkthrone are my favorite band I don't have to go anywhere seeing as they don't tour (though Fenriz said recently he might rethink this policy!) however if they did tour I would go to the end's of the Earth and beyond my friend, and spend whatever I had to.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:05 pm 

I drove a little over four hours, well outside my comfort zone (which is less than two hours, and most shows I go to these days are a half hour away) to see Therion play at the Jaxx in Springfield, VA.

It was a phenomenal show though, and I stuck around to get autographs from the band and even chat with Christofer Johnsson. It was around 2:30 when I left the place. I got home past 7 AM. Took longer to get home because I went the wrong way on the Baltimore bypass and didn't realize it until I was well over halfway to where I needed to be anyway since it's really just a big fucking circle.

I would fly to Australia to see Mournful Congregation if I had the chance, and I'd love to go to Europe to see a few shows and see what the atmosphere is like. Therion would be on the top of my list, of course.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:05 pm 

Cool idea for a thread, I hope it takes off! :)

My favorite band are Lykathea Aflame, and while I'm pretty sure they only ever played shows in the Czech Republic so there's no way I could have gone and seen them perform live, I'd estimate that I've spent around $230 on various pressings of their album and band shirts, plus another $70 or so on Appalling Spawn merch. I'm hoping to buy Blood Music's test pressings of both bands' albums soon, which should cost me another couple hundred dollars.

EDIT: Someone suggested I take a picture...

Not pictured: another poster (not signed) which is in my room somewhere, and two shirts which are probably in a dirty clothes hamper.

Last edited by MalignantThrone on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:20 pm 

dragmire wrote:
I probably wouldn't lay out $400 unless there was a one-night only Mr. Bungle reunion or something.

Absolutely agree. The only downside, living in Australia, bands don't always tour. The last time Maiden had come to Australia was the Fear of the Dark tour, and I missed that anyway, so at that stage (Bruce had just reunited and no one knew how that would go), it didn't look likely that Maiden would ever return to Australia again. It had to be done.

But there is a limit. One of my favourite bands is Rush. As far as I know they have never toured Australia. Therefore, the only way to see them would be to fly to the US or to Europe. That basically results in a $2000 AUD expenditure to see them play. Possible but I have to draw the line somewhere. Two grand is too much these days, I have other responsibilities.

Goatfangs wrote:
I would fly to Australia to see Mournful Congregation if I had the chance, and I'd love to go to Europe to see a few shows and see what the atmosphere is like. Therion would be on the top of my list, of course.

That would incorporate a hell of a holiday my friend. Seeing another country/continent with the added bonus of seeing a show :)

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:16 pm 

Being in Western Australia, there's a horrific amount of expense involved even to get as far as Sydney to see a show, let alone Europe. I'd love to see Blue Oyster Cult's first ever Australian shows coming up soon, for example, but it ain't gonna happen. So I don't mind having paid 80 bucks for an Immolation CD considering it's still cheaper than a concert ticket to see a big act.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:05 pm 

However, I may have been exaggerating earlier because of my Fanboyism. realistically with Darkthrone I'd probably go as far as Europe and pay any necessary costs associated with that.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:36 pm 

Yeah being in the country of Australia makes it harder, its a four hour drive for me to any gig, which i do often but its well worth it, but costly in the end. Obscene Extreme is this weekend! pretty keen for that!

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:41 pm 

I went to London for Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats, but that wasn't so bad for me as I'm from Scotland. There were some Americans there, which was pretty hardcore.

If Timeless Miracle announced a show, I'd go. No matter where it was or how much it would cost.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:49 pm 

I would probably lose my shit if Reverend Bizarre is reuniting and travel to Finland. Going there to meet Napero is probably more likely though!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:50 pm 

I'd pay to fly to Japan and see Sabbat live, but only if they were playing The Dwelling in its entirety.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:17 pm 

Every concert I go to is hell on my body. It's not so much the money, but it's a 2+ hour drive on a good night, and I'm in LA; there's even traffic coming home. So it's about 3 hours each way and I work 6 days a week. I saw Nile last week and got home at 3 am, then have to be back at work at 6 for 9-10 hour days. So yes I do alot for my favorite bands, including collecting their shirts, CDs, vinyls, etc

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:33 am 

Would travel anywhere and pay anything to see a Forefather gig...
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:37 am 

I would fly to europe to see blind guardian. Actually I would go anywhere for the chance to see them live.

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:45 am 

Although I was in England anyway at the time, I did take a rather long jaunt from a countryside village and a fairly long tube ride into London to see Heidenfest 2010. Considering I only just recently understood the DC metro system, the London tube was just a fucking nightmare, but I got to see Equilibrium and Twilight of the Gods so I'm happy.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:11 am 

My favorite band Njiqahdda doesn't play live, however they've said if the right circumstances were to arrive then they might consider doing a show. If that were to happen I would make my way to wherever the fuck that would take place whether by plane, train or automobile. Possible by foot if it came down to it.

The farthest I've gone to date was to see Mayhem. But I didn't have to do anything too crazy...

evil528e
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:45 pm 

If money were no issue, I would tour to different countries to see them. I had this issue years ago when Emperor played in NY, but I had no money to go see them.

Other than that, the furthest I have gone for Korpiklaani and Fintroll was from Va Beach to Raleigh (about 4 hours). Now that Volume 11 in Raleigh closed, I don't know what to do, as I have no place to stay in Springfield VA.

On a cool note, I saw Absu headlining here in Chesapeake Saturday night. Kickass show. The Day of the Beast, Ectovoid, Vorgum, Oakmoon supporting. A good of occult black metal.
http://www.facebook.com/stikrz <----because it's free!

Zakillah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:59 pm 

In 2010 I took 2 days off work, travelled to Prague by train in the morning of concert day, stayed there the night.
Travelled back to Vienna at noon and from there to my parents place, which is 1 hour away.
Next day in the morning I drive ~350km by car to a festival to see the band again.

Thats 2 day off, ~450 Euros total spent.

I drove ~700km to a festival next year to see them again.
I dont think I´d go much further then that, thats crazy enough.

Oh yeah, the band is Bolt Thrower

Littlewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:28 pm 

Been to Wacken twice, in 2005 and 2006 (had to see Emperor). It was cca 1700 km journey there and even more back from there, 'cause we decided we should visit Denmark (Danish border is only 70 km to the north from Wacken), and since we came that far...
we spent a shitload of money, mostly on gasoline, tickets, food & drink, bought some memorabilia and T-shirts, but I'm sure glad I did it and I'd do it again if my health permits it...

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:49 pm 

My favorite band is Blind Guardian, and I've been lucky in that I've never had to expend much effort to see them. I only had to drive to Atlanta, which is about two hours away, and since that's where most shows I attend take place, it was nothing out of the ordinary. The longest commute I've ever made was for MDF, with Baltimore being about 8 or 9 hours from here, but that doesn't really count since it's a festival.

I will say that I'm getting pretty desperate to see Yngwie, who never plays near here. If time wasn't an issue, I'd probably be willing to drive about 4 to 6 hours to see him. Who knows if it'll ever happen though.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:59 pm 

I'm prepared to die for metal.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:19 pm 

If Celtic Frost reformed with the classic lineup of Warrior, Ain and St Mark I would fly anywhere to see them play live. Also to a lesser extent if Emperor regrouped. Otherwise the farthest I've gone to see bands was about 150 miles (to Bloodstock Festival, actually).

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:25 pm 

Unfortunately it's not yet completely my decision, but when I start living by myself and earning my own money - I'm pretty sure nowhere in Europe can stop me.

The furthest I've been this far was around 500-600km I think, something like 6-7h by train (Dream Theater in both cases).

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:23 pm 

Driven to Chicago a few times to see Maiden, and doing it this summer for Bolt Thrower. Flying to Wacken this summer but not for any one band, though Candlemass comes close, but to go to the festival.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:27 pm 

I travelled 12 hours two years in a row to see Emperor in NYC in 06 and 07. Before they announced US shows I was fully prepared to fly to Norway to see them at the Inferno Festival, though I should have done it anyway. My collection of their shirts/cds/vinyls/posters is well in excess of $1000 and it was worth every penny (still building this collection as well). I drove 13 hours to Atlanta to see Ihsahn at ProgPower in 2011 and even better was the fact that I got to meet him as well. I also look forward to driving 4/5 hours to see him at Maryland Deathfest this year and hopefully meet him again. You'll never meet a bigger Emperor/Ihsahn fanatic than myself, guaranteed.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Emanon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:43 pm 

For a show with more than one of my very favorite bands, I might go to NYC. Which is about 200 miles away or so.
Darkness, like a cloak of saffron velvet, surrounds him. Stark trees of stone support the moon and stop the sky from falling in around him. He stands upon his mountain throne, his arms held high, he’s all-alone, ashen face turned towards the sky.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:58 pm 

My concert life is pretty boring these days. I did go from Milwaukee to Atlanta to see Blind Guardian and Gamma Ray. Worth it. Got to see Edguy out of the deal, too -- and Angra. Nice.

I drove all night to see one of Black Sabbath's reunions. Long time back -- '91 or '92. Big bonus: Rob Halford fronted for "new" Sabbath (Dio wouldn't play with Ozzy there). That was special.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:13 pm 

I'll buy shirts, other sweet cool merch, the whole discography, and a case of beer for the band at most.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:14 pm 

You can't buy beer, Ralf, you're 18 and American ;)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:15 pm 

juicebitch wrote:
If Celtic Frost reformed with the classic lineup of Warrior, Ain and St Mark I would fly anywhere to see them play live. Also to a lesser extent if Emperor regrouped. Otherwise the farthest I've gone to see bands was about 150 miles (to Bloodstock Festival, actually).

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:47 am 

I would give a Klondike bar to see my favorite band.

However, I would not travel across the country and pay the ridiculous train fare just to see one band. I just hope for festivals or local shows.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:42 am 

I know a friend and I are planning to see Pain Of Salvation in Chicago next month. I haven't extensively traveled for a show since high school but I suppose that could change now that I'm working part time.

raveneyeslikemirrors
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:54 am 

I once took a trip from South Carolina to Boston in order to see Kayo Dot play live back in 2004. I was fortunate that my father's company gave out deeply discount tickets and that my employers had a worksite up there where I could work and stay for a little while. It was quite a trip and I feel a little guilty that I had to put up one employee for a place to sleep and transportation... he was very nice to me. But I got to see Kayo Dot do their show, and I got to get a tshirt plus go out and have tea with Toby and Mia shortly before the show. Toby even drew a picture in my journal. That was pretty wild.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:43 pm 

Fortunately I haven't traveled much to see Morbid Angel live with David Vincent on vocals in november 2012.
Only 250 km plus return :-D

"You make it easy."

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:02 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
You can't buy beer, Ralf, you're 18 and American ;)

Oh, the technicalities ;)

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

evil528e
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:26 am 

DaBuddha wrote:
I travelled 12 hours two years in a row to see Emperor in NYC in 06 and 07. Before they announced US shows I was fully prepared to fly to Norway to see them at the Inferno Festival, though I should have done it anyway. My collection of their shirts/cds/vinyls/posters is well in excess of $1000 and it was worth every penny (still building this collection as well). I drove 13 hours to Atlanta to see Ihsahn at ProgPower in 2011 and even better was the fact that I got to meet him as well. I also look forward to driving 4/5 hours to see him at Maryland Deathfest this year and hopefully meet him again. You'll never meet a bigger Emperor/Ihsahn fanatic than myself, guaranteed.

Awesome. I wish I had the money and resources for that. But broke with 3 kids (1 special needs) it's hard to make that happen. Emperor is my favorite BM band as well.
http://www.facebook.com/stikrz <----because it's free!

~Guest 166992
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:52 am 

I'm a big Darkthrone fan, I own so much merch including a skateboard, haha
about 4 years ago I got their logo tattooed on my arm, Soon I will be getting "hiking metal punks" tatted under the logo. I would die for that band.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:57 am 

I'll drive like 2:30 hours of shitty roads in some hours just to go see this show:

http://www.salasonora.com/events/numen/

Quote:
(13/04/13) Numen + Aiumeen Basoa + Lux Divina en la Sala Sonora de Erandio

P.S: I could use the motorway but I want to drive and will pay for it just once on my way back.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:43 pm 

I didn't go that far distance wise, maybe like a 4-6 hour drive? But I did brave a lot of things I hate: public shitting, camping, extreme heat, meeting new people, and a brief brush with a tornado. Easily worth it, even for a truncated Manilla Road set. I'll never forget the feeling when they played The Riddle Master.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next