Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:49 am 

You should probably header that "RE: Evil Dead Remake" or something. While I don't care about stuff like that, someone here probably does.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:44 am 

Just saw the new Evil Dead and it was fantastic. I was doing some research on IMDB after watching and couldn't help but notice Karl Willetts is casted as a long haired redneck. Didn't catch it during the movie can anyone confirm or deny whether it's Bolt Thrower's Karl Willetts?

Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1288558/
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:38 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Fuck you pretentious fucks. That movie looks awesome and you know it.
Just like Pinneaple Express and Superbad were awesome.

Good god. Pineapple Express was some of the most painfully boring footage I've seen. Superbad at least had a couple of laughs even if the plot was pretty awful writing. Though I suppose it was just an excuse for all the jokes so can't fault it for that. I didn't watch this YouTube video, but judging by the comments, it's not something I found funny.

The pretentiousness argument is quite dated on the internet and is on especially thin ice when it comes to metal.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:14 pm 

As a remake, this film just didn't live up. I appriciate the nods the sequel flms. Still, the original was doing new things when it came out. This is is doing things we've seen befoe from both Possesson films and torture films. Also, the soundtrack was way too over dramatic.

As a Horror film, it's a good film. There were parts that made me cringe and tense up. I liked the junkie storyline. The special effects where amazing. And it kept me guessing from begenning till end.

I give it a 7 out of 10.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:06 pm 

Evil Dead remake: Good movie. A lot better than I expected, to say the least. It could very well be the best remake/reimagining/whatever movie I've seen. The script is decent (with a bit too many similarities in what the deadite says to the Exorcist, but I guess that can't be helped when it comes to possessions.) I thought their reason for being at the cabin was well thought of. The piano theme after the opening is bothering me though. I swear it's from another movie. it looks suitably gritty as hell, and there's buckets of blood and guts. Just buckets. Fucked up shit happens. Even more of a splatterfest than the original. The acting is ok, with only the brother and sister getting any real character development, but I thought it was pretty funny that the blonde girl literally doesn't open her mouth to speak until about 40 minutes in, and what she ends up saying is pretty inconsequential. Stupid decisions are made, but we get some justifications this time. They took a bunch of creative licenses with the story, but I was very disappointed in one of the additions (the spiritual dark ''other'') and the tree rape soon. As a movie of pure terror, it somewhat succeeds with it's relentless pace. As a remake of Evil Dead? I would say it rivals the original.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:01 pm 

Question about the Evil Dead ending

Spoiler: show
When it began to Rain blood at the ending, did anyone else think Slayer?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:03 pm 

That was my first thought :-D
Spoiler: show
I turned to my friend, threw the horns and headbanged.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:28 am 

Saw the new Evil Dead. Was actually impressed. I think the original had a much more even balance of the occult/possession angle of the film along with the gore (the new one does seem more intentionally gory, though some of it is rather inventive), as well as that incredibly surreal/absurdist/otherworldly atmosphere that the new one lacks. I reallly liked the new junkie/detox subplot, and thought it was hilarious that the prepackaged blonde chick barely spoke (don't know if that was intentional). The post-credits scene was blatant and ridiculous, but I loved it.

In short, see it once- maybe twice.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:20 am 

MacMoney wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:
Fuck you pretentious fucks. That movie looks awesome and you know it.
Just like Pinneaple Express and Superbad were awesome.

Good god. Pineapple Express was some of the most painfully boring footage I've seen.

Yep. Was shit. I only liked Bill Hader's bit at the start.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:18 pm 

Watched You Don't Know Jack, a movie starring Al Pacino as Jack Kevorkian and chronicling his struggle to bring awareness and legalisation to assisted suicide for terminal patients.
It was compelling, to say the least. Yes, it was biased, but it got me thinking. They used some of the real patient interviews Kevorkian did, and those were the parts that were the most affecting and almost hard to watch. Kevorkian was a compelling character, and Pacino portrayed him perfectly. It was great to see him do something this good after a series of shitty movies like that one he did with Matthew Mconaughey.
I'd say it's worth a watch.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:29 pm 

:ugh: As if we hadn't already had our fill of worthless, shit-take remakes...

http://www.slashfilm.com/justin-lin-att ... -wolf-cub/

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:32 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:

:annoyed:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:33 pm 

Oof, Justin Lin.

But you know, as ridiculous as this is going to sound, I'd still rather have a glorified music video director handling this project over the pretentious, self-indulgent fuck that is Darren Aronofsky.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:41 pm 

At least the writing crew sounded kind of interesting...

What enrages you about Aronofsky? He's not my favorite director, but I've found his stuff to be consistently interesting. I didn't think The Wrestler was at all pretentious or self-indulgent. Black Swan was pretty over the top, but I could roll with it. Requiem for a Dream (just mistyped "for a Cream"... post-masturbation depression) I could see being characterized as aimless and sort of exploitative/pointless. Mmm...The Fountain I thought was pretty neat, again kind of over the top but I could hang. Mmm... Pi I haven't seen in a long time so I can't really speak on it properly. I don't really know anything about Aronofsky as a person, so if you're bringing that side of things into the equation I'm guaranteed to be ignorant of any of that.

That being said, I wouldn't trust him to handle Lone Wolf and Cub. That's just sounds really...off.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:07 pm 

I haven't seen The Wrestler or The Fighter yet, but I have seen all his others. I'd lump him into the same general category as P.T. Anderson, i.e. revisionist filmmakers who try desperately to break the mold (which, in itself is admirable enough but not really a reason to make a two hour movie) but can only do so in such an irritating, self-indulgent, intentionally obscured manner that I quickly grow weary of trying to make any rational sense of it all and just toss 'em out with the eggshells. And that says something, as I've been a lifelong Maya Deren fan.

But keep in mind that I'm also far more interested in the writing aspect of film, and both of those directors have less than no interest in crafting memorable, punchy dialog and complexly established plot payoffs.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:14 pm 

I think The Wrestler is the only one on that list (apart from Pi, which I haven't seen) that gives me some hope. Though, of course my bias is based on the gloomy depression of the original movies. His others are pretty glossy and while they're emotional in content, they fall pretty short of "gripping" in execution. The Wrestler was easily my favorite of that list. It had good texture, atmosphere, and realism, which I hope he can bring here. Please, dude .. please. Don't Broken Arrow me.

I wish Malick had handled The Fountain instead. I think in his hands the more drawn out portions would have been more substantial (or at least had more interesting cinematography) whereas they just tended have an aftertaste of "sap". eh .. we'll see. I'll definitely watch Ogami soullessly slaughter. I just hope he can bring the soulless.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:17 pm 

The only film of his I haven't seen is The Fountain. I thought Pi was at least interesting though too drawn out, and Requiem for a Dream, albeit overrated is a great, stylised trip of a film. The Wrestler was so-so, didn't find myself connecting to any of the characters and Black Swan is frankly a mess. Don't get the praise for that one at all.

Don't even bring up Malick, some of the most boring movies I've seen.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:21 pm 

That could be because you lack a poet's soul, but only possibly. ;) I can understand your dislike, though I can't relate. I just happen to really like his format. I don't find it boring in the least. That isn't to say he's my favorite or that it's FOREVER AWESOME. The Tree of Life, for example was pretty soft with a few good sections (ending was stupid), Days of Heaven was ok but lost me in the last half hour (which was a pretty long half hour). The Thin Red Line and The New World are by far my favorites, and The Thin Red Line was among my favorite movies for a while.

Last edited by Grave_Wyrm on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:23 pm 

Oh man, the Thin Red Line is among the ones I've seen and it's my least favourite war movie ever. I get what he was attempting to do, but how do you even make such subject matter THIS BORING?
I hear Badlands is really good but I can't bring myself to watch it.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:24 pm 

hehe .. well probably because the man whose eyes we were supposed to be seeing through thought the whole thing was complete and utter bullshit.

edit: I haven't seen Badlands, either. I'll take that bullet for you and let you know if you should force yourself, but I'm guessing we both know the answer to that. :)

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:31 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Please, dude .. please. Don't Broken Arrow me. ....
eh .. we'll see. I'll definitely watch Ogami soullessly slaughter. I just hope he can bring the soulless.

...But he's not directing the Lone Wolf & Cub thing, someone else is ;). You don't need to worry!

@darkeningday Fair enough! I think I get you. I tend to enjoy Aronofsky and Anderson (P.T., not Wes....fucking can't stand Wes Anderson and want to hurt him lots), but I wouldn't go out of my way to be an apologist for them. :) I do definitely recommend you check out The Wrestler, though. You'd probably dig it. It's very down-to-earth, realistic, and emotionally genuine. It's sad and really rather tragic, but not at all capricious or indulgent. Very no-bullshit, despite its humorous aspects.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:07 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:

Whatever keeps him away from the next Terminator.

darkeningday wrote:
Oof, Justin Lin. But you know, as ridiculous as this is going to sound, I'd still rather have a glorified music video director handling this project over the pretentious, self-indulgent fuck that is Darren Aronofsky.

Drawing a line in the sand here, surely Aronofsky is not suitable for a project like this, but Pi is the only pretentious, self-indulgent example I can positively agree with. This isn't one of your petty gripes like with what you have for Christian Bale, Day?

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:34 pm 

Well I've only seen the Wrestler out of those listed, but I can sort of get what he's getting at the "desperate to break the mold" thing, since it's basically a regular old underdog story of "character is down and out > character has a life changing event for the better > character falls back into bad habits and seems all is lost > character inspiring improves themselves again in the finale", except that cuts off the final act. I'm not sure if I'd call it pretentious or anything, it's just two thirds of a regular sports movie.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:39 pm 

hahhaa ! I'm a dumb ass. :durr:

Last edited by Grave_Wyrm on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:40 pm 

...wait, how is that trying desperately the break the mould, genghis? Just because the ending is kind of unconventional (except actually kind of conventional nowadays)?

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:54 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
I haven't seen Badlands, either. I'll take that bullet for you and let you know if you should force yourself, but I'm guessing we both know the answer to that. :)

Didn't do much for me.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:06 pm 

Yeah...me neither.

Just saw Mountain Patrol: Kekexili for the third time and it was pretty awesome again. Made me realize I haven't even thought about checking out any of Chuan Lu's other films. Seems like he might have some interesting stuff to offer. Man...it's been a long fucking time since I did anything with Asian cinema. Super out of touch with it at this point.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:59 am 

Just finished watching Beneath the Planet of the Apes again after 12 something years. It's a lot worse than I remember.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:08 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
Oof, Justin Lin. But you know, as ridiculous as this is going to sound, I'd still rather have a glorified music video director handling this project over the pretentious, self-indulgent fuck that is Darren Aronofsky.

Drawing a line in the sand here, surely Aronofsky is not suitable for a project like this, but Pi is the only pretentious, self-indulgent example I can positively agree with. This isn't one of your petty gripes like with what you have for Christian Bale, Day?

Yeah, probably. But I did actually walk out of the theater three-quarters of the way through The Fountain because goddamn. This was more than half a decade ago though, so maybe my opinion would be different today?

@Under_Starmere: You ever seen Hard Eight (I think it was re-titled something way less awesome for its home video distribution, but I'm posting on a mobile so it'd be a major pain to look it up)? I like to name-drop that film when people hazard that I have some sort of deep-seated vendetta against P.T. Anderson when I start harping on how much Magnolia (Short Cuts rip-off), Boogie Nights (Hardcore rip-off) or The Master (admittedly kind of original but only because no one but PTA is ballsy enough to make a $35 million project about pretty much nothing) totally sucks. It's snappy, a lot of fun and packs a helluva punch in the third act. Check it out. Punch Drunk is fine too, but I'm sure you've seen that already.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:38 am 

darkeningday wrote:
You ever seen Hard Eight? It's snappy, a lot of fun and packs a helluva punch in the third act. Check it out.

I concur and yes it is called Hard Eight, although originally titled Sydney. Samuel L. Jackson and John C. Riley really make that film, whereas Philip Baker Hall gives a rather ho-hum performance and is barely expressive. I like the little bits of comedy scattered throughout, John's story about his matches being a quick point of reference, even the unintentionally comedic moments centred around John's plight, they all elevate the film to be entertaining rather than coast along the straight and narrow. It never really feels weighted down and emotionally exhausting like Magnolia does, making it much more appealing for repeat viewings. That's not to say that I don't like Magnolia and all that is Frank T.J. Mackey.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:44 am 

@dd Who knows, your opinion on The Fountain might be different nowadays. I do think that it's the sort of thing you have to see in its entirety for it to to make any sort of goddamn sense. The three separate/related arcs all sort of tie into/mirror one another at the finale and it's definitely something to behold... a rather epic end to a convoluted picture. I felt it was a payoff that justified the film's somewhat confounding nature. And a pretty cool show of plot-writing, no less. I dunno, I'd say give it another shot. If you still hate it, I'll eat this post!

As for P.T. Anderson, I have never seen Hard Eight, so I can put that on the queue. Just remembered There Will Be Blood. That was another one that sat oddly with me. I felt it was somewhat hampered on two counts (the really unconvincing acting/casting on the part of the young preacher character and the fact that the film only covered the first half of the original story it was based on, leaving the ending feeling rather unsatisfying), and despite seeing it twice in the theater I could never find the enthusiasm to froth over it as much as some were doing (fucking "milkshake" speech circle jerks :ugh:). A tarnished masterpiece there. I wasn't aware of the rip-off aspects of his other films you noted, so that's interesting...just more evidence that being a film buff only leads to bitterness and disillusionment :P

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:20 pm 

I don't really like pretentious stuff like Aronofsky's style usually is, but I haven't really hated or even disliked anything he's done somehow. Life of Pi is the only exception because I simply couldn't understand a word being said...but yeah, The Fountain was moving and pretty powerful, The Wrestler was a great sort of character study and Black Swan was effective and eerie, if a bit too annoyingly 'faux-dark' if you want to call it that. Overall I don't really have a problem with his stuff. Requiem for a Dream I remember not liking that much, but it did have a very profound sort of effect on me afterwards, so I can't say it was completely worthless - I've been meaning to re-watch that one.

But yeah, his stuff is nowhere near as bad as awful attempts at these 'avant garde' sorts of films like Donnie Darko, The Box or Bronson. :puke:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:28 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I don't really like pretentious stuff like Aronofsky's style usually is, but I haven't really hated or even disliked anything he's done somehow. Life of Pi is the only exception because I simply couldn't understand a word being said...

Uh, I assume you mean Pi. Ang Lee did the Life of Pi movie. To briefly weigh in on Aronofsky, I watched Pi years ago and hated it. It's just terrible, pseudo-intellectual garbage that tries to weave conspiracy theories, Jewish mysticism, and all sorts of other crap together, without really making any sense of it. I think he was trying to go for a Foucault's Pendulum sort of thing, but without Eco's intelligence. It turned me off of Aronofsky totally. Much more recently I saw the Wrestler, and actually liked it a lot. I sort of expected it to be condescending to pro wrestling, but it actually was pretty respectful of the sport and a poignant character study too. It let most of its points make themselves, and focused entirely on the main character, without getting all pretentious.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:35 am 

Yeah, Pi; that was it. I tried to watch that and literally couldn't understand what the characters were even saying, so I just turned it off. Didn't seem like I was missing much, either.

The Wrestler is basically nothing like any of his other movies. It's totally different, and also the best one, too. I remember being really affected by that movie's very somber tone and Mickey Rourke's acting; definitely the best I've seen him. There have been a lot of cool movies like that coming out - The Fighter and Warrior are two others. Maybe they could be a LITTLE more original with the titles though.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:39 am 

I loved The Wrestler. Not only was it one of the movies that made start really getting into movies, it rekindled my interest in professional wrestling after pretty much all but not watch it for about a year.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:26 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Yeah, Pi; that was it. I tried to watch that and literally couldn't understand what the characters were even saying, so I just turned it off. Didn't seem like I was missing much, either.

That's it. You're grounded.

Go read the book and watch the movie and think about what you did!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:59 pm 

You know which movie I'm talking about, right? i.e. NOT "Life of Pi"?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:55 pm 

Shrink: Watched this at random on Netflix cause it had Kevin Spacey in it. He gives a good performance but this movie is pretty much an indie mess. There's too many characters, some are introduced and have like 2 scenes, only to have their arc feebly resolved towards the end, a lot of the emotion feels manufactured, the post-rock soundtrack is overbearing when there's so little happening and you don't really get a sense of these character's motivations besides Spacey and one studio exec, hyper neurotic character. I don't wish I hadn't seen it cause it's so middle of the road, but it was such a nothing movie.

Adaptation: Dope movie. What you would expect from Charlie Kaufmann. Between this and Being John Malkovitch he's got a firm hold on weird, far out, yet self-aware material. It's a strange movie to watch, and not even hugely enjoyable but the monologues are interesting, and Nicolas Cage is the bomb playing two completely different character. Many different musings to be found here.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:00 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
You know which movie I'm talking about, right? i.e. NOT "Life of Pi"?

Hehe, go back to anime, Zelki.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:22 pm 

Pretty much all of Charlie Kaufman's movies are the same, but they're all so good, and each has a slightly different genre twist to it. Adaptation was a drama/mystery, Being John Malkovich was a bizarro-world comedy and Eternal Sunshine was an epic romance. They're all pretty hilarious though, and I can never decide which one is the best.

edit: I haven't seen Synecdoche, New York yet. Dunno how that one fits into the pantheon.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 394, 395, 396, 397, 398, 399, 400 ... 818  Next