Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:57 pm 

HellishHound wrote:
Could you guys recommend me some real sleazy sounding heavy/speed metal like motorhead meets trad metal?

Peer Günt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BGW8_8DByk

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:00 pm 

Witchgrave was pretty awesome I'd like alittle but more intelligible vocals but they were great. Haven't listened to peer gunt yet but their wiki page says they're hard rock?

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:18 pm 

HellishHound wrote:
Could you guys recommend me some real sleazy sounding heavy/speed metal like motorhead meets trad metal? I know it's not really a good description but it's the best I got. My birthday's tomorrow and I need some metal I can drink a beer too haha thanks in advance guys.

Check out:

Iron Dogs
https://soundcloud.com/irondogs

Superchrist
http://hellsheadbangers.bandcamp.com/album/holy-shit

Intoxicated
http://hellsheadbangers.bandcamp.com/al ... hellpatrol

Speedwolf
http://hellsheadbangers.bandcamp.com/al ... with-death

Witch Cross
http://hellsheadbangers.bandcamp.com/al ... -for-fight

The Impalers
http://theimpalers.bandcamp.com/album/demo-2010

edit* I'd also rec Syphilitic Vagina's Black Motor Covenant ep
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:27 pm 

Definitely check out Vulcain too, they're often called 'France's Motorhead'.

Also Baphomet's Blood. Sounds like it ought to be some black metal band, but in reality it's an absurdly fun dirty heavy/speed band with huge Motorhead influences, also early Running Wild influences. Singer sounds like Lemmy taking a shit.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:54 pm 

I think the vocalist of Blizzard sounds more like 'Lemmy taking a shit' to be honest:

It seems that too many metalpunk bands try to pull off a Lemmy voice but it doesn't work very well. Inepsy is an obvious exception.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:03 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
I think the vocalist of Blizzard sounds more like 'Lemmy taking a shit' to be honest

That just sounds more death metal than Lemmy to me, frankly.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:33 pm 

Listening to some old gems, Grudge's sole album finally clicked with me (thanks fsm), although ultimately I don't think I'll ever really get into LotCA, just too shrieky and weird. Slauter Xstroyes is doing more for me as well, I'm listening to the debut rather than Free the Beast, it seems a bit more accessible. Those riffs are definitely pretty fucking godly. Blasting some Cyperus too, thanks Xeogred. Definitely some cool stuff here that I overlooked/needed more time to digest.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:38 pm 

AcidVoodoo wrote:
Which bands would you guys recommend that have a sound similar to Manilla Road, you know traditional trashy sounding with an epic feel to it? Thanks in advance.

There are a lot of bands that have tried to emulate MR's sound, but they generally go for a more traditional metal approach. Nobody's really tried to emulate their thrash albums, which admittedly is a shame. However, if you like MR, check out Longings Past, Battle Ram's 2003 demo, Wotan's debut, Ancient Wisdom's demo, Wrathblade's debut, and everything from Epic Irae/Quicksand Dream. Definitely some good stuff there.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:39 pm 

Been listening to Conception again. In Your Multiude is such a great album. Love the energetic riffy approach the band went for on that one. Its other albums aren't bad either but just not as consistent sadly.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:31 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Been listening to Conception again. In Your Multiude is such a great album. Love the energetic riffy approach the band went for on that one. Its other albums aren't bad either but just not as consistent sadly.

The razor-like riffs in those first couple of songs on IYM are some of the nastiest Roy Khan sang over. Probably my favorite Khan album next to Black Halo.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:36 pm 

Thanks for all the recs guys, going through them now.

I've heard syphilitic vaginas and speedwolf before, but both are awesome bands!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:43 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
Listening to some old gems, Grudge's sole album finally clicked with me (thanks fsm), although ultimately I don't think I'll ever really get into LotCA, just too shrieky and weird. Slauter Xstroyes is doing more for me as well, I'm listening to the debut rather than Free the Beast, it seems a bit more accessible. Those riffs are definitely pretty fucking godly. Blasting some Cyperus too, thanks Xeogred. Definitely some cool stuff here that I overlooked/needed more time to digest.

Funny enough I vastly prefer LotCA myself to Grudge. Grudge is still awesome but a very rare mood deal for me, when I'm always up for some LotCA. Come to think of it it just hit me that's like some of the only stuff out there a bit comparable to Dark Age's EP and vice versa. Stuff like this is a damn home run for me! Dark Age probably wins between those two for me though, a bit more Sacred Oath-in-your-face with the lead guitars.
:np:

Vocals like the LotCA / Dark Age stuff are fucking amazing to me, haha.

AcidVoodoo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:56 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
AcidVoodoo wrote:
Which bands would you guys recommend that have a sound similar to Manilla Road, you know traditional trashy sounding with an epic feel to it? Thanks in advance.

There are a lot of bands that have tried to emulate MR's sound, but they generally go for a more traditional metal approach. Nobody's really tried to emulate their thrash albums, which admittedly is a shame. However, if you like MR, check out Longings Past, Battle Ram's 2003 demo, Wotan's debut, Ancient Wisdom's demo, Wrathblade's debut, and everything from Epic Irae/Quicksand Dream. Definitely some good stuff there.

Thanks man, I'll check them out.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:38 am 

Eternal Champion seem like another good up and coming band, happened upon this song, the band aren't on the archives yet but apparently they're releasing an EP soon. If it's all as good as this song, it'll definitely be some good stuff. Pretty solid epic metal in the vein of Battle Ram and Wrathblade.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:13 am 

Quote:
Eternal Champion

That sounds very, very awesome. I hope the rest of the tracks as good as that.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:13 pm 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Nahsil wrote:
Scalzi was rude when I saw them live :( tried to talk to him but he brushed me off (could have been because they were on a tight schedule though).

That is, until I yelled "SKULLFUCKER, FUCK HER IN THE HEAD" because one of the guitarists was wearing a Brocas shirt. Scalzi went on a rant about how the Brocas guys were old enough to be my grandparents, and he was old enough to be my uncle. Then he started calling himself Uncle Mike. :lol:

Ended up smoking a J with the bassist Adrian though, he was nice. We talked about Rainbow!

Was this a new event? I feel like I've read this exact story a couple years ago, but from the perspective of another fan in the audience, with the same Skullfucker thing happening. :lol:

Nah, I've told the story before. It's one of my favorite band anecdotes ;)

This band Eternal Champion is playing with Manillla Road/Speedwolf/Satan's Satyrs at Chaos in Tejas, pretty fucking cool:

http://youtu.be/8HN4uFLrDbc

I am ultra impressed. Can't figure out who they sound like, but really digging it. Cauldron Born? Isen Torr? Medieval Steel? Hahah, not exactly. Excited for a really good Texas trad metal band, we have a massive lack of trad metal around here.

By the way, anyone have Borrowed Time's cd-r demo from 2010? Or a rip of it? I got one when I went to MDF, but I'm confused because it doesn't match the tracklisting on MA, and it's also got some strange sound artifacts...is it my rip? Not sure where I put the actual cd. Mine has the 4 songs it's supposed to have and also a 9 minute live track where they play Burning Mistress/Sailing.

edit: since I haven't been very active in here might as well cram a bunch of shit into one post! I've been on a fantastic diet of Othyrworld, Talisphere and Oracle today. \m/
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:25 am 

New Rocka Rollas song!! Simple straight forward metal, nothing fancy: I'll leave the suprises until the album comes out :) not that it's so much more fancy than simple metal but at least there's some longer songs and calmer parts and shit that wasn't even thought of on the debut:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO20o5avMoQ
Enjoy!!!

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:43 am 

So I hadn't looked up much going on with Satan's Host recently and had a look on youtube today and found this Whole Show uploaded two days ago from a recent gig with decent sound quality, also mentions straight up that they have an "upcoming album" which gives me hope the new one is released soon.

On another note someone uploaded this poor quality video of them in the 80's playing Black Steele.

EDIT: What's with Harry's new mustache haahha.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:54 am 

Just out of curiosity, are there any good traditional metal bands from The Netherlands?

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:41 am 

Yes, there are several in fact. Angus and Vault are probably the best in my opinion, Dark Wizard and Valkyrie are pretty good too. Check out the debut albums from Angus and Vault, Dark Wizard's debut EP, and Valkyrie's demo.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:07 pm 

IAV: You can't worship the horned one properly without a 'stache. Everyone knows that.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:08 pm 

Guys, as some of you may know, Animetal USA likes to play other bands' riffs on their covers. Do any of you know if the riff at 3:22 belongs to another band? What band is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj_JYKb8N0o

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Btw, if you know any other song with this type of riffage, please, show them to me. (You know, as Kill the King by Dio)

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:35 pm 

If anybody wants to do me a favor, I'm hankering for new trad metal and I'd like to know if I'm missing anything essential:

http://imageshack.us/f/542/trad1.png/
http://imageshack.us/f/27/trad2.png/

some of my stuff went the way of the dinosaurs when my old HDD died. I need to get Lords of the Crimson Alliance again.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:33 pm 

Do you mean new as in modern, or just new to you? Because people were just talking about Dutch metal a few posts up, and Vault is one of my favorite trad metal bands. No joke, they're one of the biggest hidden gem bands in all of metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tCXTxq4-BM

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:54 pm 

New to me. Actually looking more for 80s/90s stuff than modern stuff. I'll check Vault out.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:46 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
Yes, there are several in fact. Angus and Vault are probably the best in my opinion, Dark Wizard and Valkyrie are pretty good too. Check out the debut albums from Angus and Vault, Dark Wizard's debut EP, and Valkyrie's demo.

Thanks, Joph!
Big help as always!

-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:43 am 

Check out Martyr and Defender (bit more USPM-ish) too for more top notch Dutch stuff. When the Netherlands did it right they were damn good.

Defender are still my favorite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f12rZZGaGJI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxXA7uyew9k - cool as hell how lead driven this one is, can anyone think of other songs similar in style?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWbujC5XHxg

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:48 am 

Thank you Xeogred! Defender slays!

-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:26 am 

Nahsil wrote:
If anybody wants to do me a favor, I'm hankering for new trad metal and I'd like to know if I'm missing anything essential:

some of my stuff went the way of the dinosaurs when my old HDD died. I need to get Lords of the Crimson Alliance again.

Don't have most of my music with me at the moment, but a few bands which don't seem to be present on that list:

Aerian Rage - fairly rough, USPM-ish metal, recently got some of their demo work rereleased by StormSpell. Sample.

Midnight Darkness - solid, though not entirely consistent, heavy metal. When they're good, though, they're definitely worth a listen. Sample.

Genghis Khan - very good aggressive USPM, seem to have gone on to form a band named False Witness which I haven't listened to as yet. Sample.

Throes of Sanity - presumably somebody read 'The Republic' and thought it was exceptionally metal. 'The Upheaval' is a strong album about one's will belonging to the abstract unknown among other things, and does well at a fairly unique style with influences from both prog and USPM but not really fitting in either per se. Sample. The whole album seems to be online in mp3 format on the band's ]website.

Omega - this is often counted as NWOBHM, which might be why it didn't get into that list, but nonetheless it's some fairly unique, slow metal, with strong lyrics and just about the most appropriate cover art possible. Sample.

Malibu Barbi - the name is misleading. So is the demo name, namely 'Rude Girls.' If you're still with me, this is a Leather Leone non-Chastain album, so if you liked Chastain or Original Sin it's probably worth a look. Fairly straightforward, aggressive stuff, and not bad at it. Sample.

Raising Cain - also in something of a blue-collar USPM mould, but with more of a 'white collar' tilt at times. Feature a Conklin-alike on vocals. Have only been able to listen to their demo, so not sure about how their albums went. This is one of their more straightforward songs.

There's probably a few more appropriate recommendations, but they aren't coming to mind at the moment.

Xeogred wrote:
Defender are still my favorite:

Defender are great. Anesthesia's 'Prelude to Ruin' is probably one of the few things which reminds me of their kind of melodic speed metal style.

Last edited by 2Eagle333 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:10 am 

Two new Speedmetal acts have come my way giving away their stuff for free. One is a band from Mexico called Hellmidian with a demo that has great production, riffing, and a competent singer. The other is called Vigilance from Slovenia and they do a more 'nwobhm, meets Exciter' type sound with a vocalist sounding more from the UK circa 82-83 than from Slovenia.

Hellmidian:

Listen: https://soundcloud.com/hellmidian
Demo: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hellmidian/186052394783646 (To show its legit, Link is at top of their FB page)

Vigilance:

http://vigilanceofficial.bandcamp.com/album/steeds-of-time Free download.

Enjoy!

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:14 am 

2Eagle333 wrote:
Nahsil wrote:

Don't have most of my music with me at the moment, but a few bands which don't seem to be present on that list:

Aerian Rage - fairly rough, USPM-ish metal, recently got some of their demo work rereleased by StormSpell. Sample.

Midnight Darkness - solid, though not entirely consistent, heavy metal. When they're good, though, they're definitely worth a listen. Sample.

Genghis Khan - very good aggressive USPM, seem to have gone on to form a band named False Witness which I haven't listened to as yet. Sample.

Throes of Sanity - presumably somebody read 'The Republic' and thought it was exceptionally metal. 'The Upheaval' is a strong album about one's will belonging to the abstract unknown among other things, and does well at a fairly unique style with influences from both prog and USPM but not really fitting in either per se. Sample. The whole album seems to be online in mp3 format on the band's ]website.

Omega - this is often counted as NWOBHM, which might be why it didn't get into that list, but nonetheless it's some fairly unique, slow metal, with strong lyrics and just about the most appropriate cover art possible. Sample.

Malibu Barbi - the name is misleading. So is the demo name, namely 'Rude Girls.' If you're still with me, this is a Leather Leone non-Chastain album, so if you liked Chastain or Original Sin it's probably worth a look. Fairly straightforward, aggressive stuff, and not bad at it. Sample.

Raising Cain - also in something of a blue-collar USPM mould, but with more of a 'white collar' tilt at times. Have only been able to listen to their demo, so not sure about how their albums went. This is one of their more straightforward songs.

There's probably a few more appropriate recommendations, but they aren't coming to mind at the moment.

Destiny's End - Breathe Deep The Dark - because it is a James Rivera project...and really well executed USPM!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCa3kGBOd4E

Militia - Strength And Honor - the first record from this Texas speed/power band that actually formed in 1984. The album is long overdue and doesn't disappoint. If you like Helstar, you'll love 'em.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq_eorKFUtU

Hallows Eve - Monument - Very impressive (and essential) speed metal with shades of thrash and a whole train of catchy songs. Killer cover of Queen's "Sheer Heart Attack" too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmUIk2paYsI

-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:18 pm 

Heh, Breathe Deep the Dark was one of my very first metal albums. Huge fan. Must be in my power metal folder.

Anyway thanks guys, got lots of stuff to check out!

On another note, the more I listen to MR's new one the more I like it. Better than Playground imo.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:28 pm 

After listening to some Tad Morose I feel like revisiting some of its albums again. I've got a feeling it won't be worth it but man, Urban Breed is so good I just want myself to like the band I guess. :p

EDIT: No idea why this didn't click before, as this is pretty cool stuff. There are some small flaws: The chorus of the self titled track is kinda lame, ''Intro/Lord on High'' should have been two seperated parts and the gruff vocal lines on ''Where The Sun Never Shines'' aren't that appopiate. The rest is fucking great though.

Last edited by colin040 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WarriorFenix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:16 pm 

I read about a side project involving the guy from Alestorm who did the vocals and keyboards (Christopher Bowes) called Gloryhammer and was abit skeptical how it would be seeing the novalty of Alestorm has long wore off and some of the hilarious tracks names suck as "The Unicorn Invasion of Dundee", my expectations werent overly high. But then i listened to it and wow is it good. Really good Rhapsody like power metal :)

Probably my favourite song on the album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVdbCiTYQV0

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:20 pm 

Yeah, I heard some of that. Quite easily some of the worst power metal I've ever heard. Fuck Napalm records.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:20 pm 

Alestorm have never had much talent.

Digging this Throes of Sanity, liking the slight prog edge.

Reminds me of Mercury Rising's Building Rome. Love me some good '90s power/prog.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:52 pm 

colin040 wrote:
After listening to some Tad Morose I feel like revisiting some of its albums again. I've got a feeling it won't be worth it but man, Urban Breed is so good I just want myself to like the band I guess. :p

EDIT: No idea why this didn't click before, as this is pretty cool stuff. There are some small flaws: The chorus of the self titled track is kinda lame, ''Intro/Lord on High'' should have been two seperated parts and the gruff vocal lines on ''Where The Sun Never Shines'' aren't that appopiate. The rest is fucking great though.

Gee, it's almost like some albums need time to grow on you. :roll:

edit: Seriously though, no offense but you always make this point of talking about how mediocre they are for you. It's just funny how you finally gave em another chance after a period of time and you like it now. Some music's just like that.

Last edited by Empyreal on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:57 pm 

colin040 wrote:

I had the same reaction. I have no significant issues with the music, he's just clearly my favorite part, and I wish I was into the project more over all because of that.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:14 am 

Empyreal wrote:
colin040 wrote:

Gee, it's almost like some albums need time to grow on you. :roll:

edit: Seriously though, no offense but you always make this point of talking about how mediocre they are for you. It's just funny how you finally gave em another chance after a period of time and you like it now. Some music's just like that.

I gave them a third chance this time and I'm glad I did. :p

The choruses of ''Servant of the Bones'' and ''Intro/Lord on High'' are freakin' immortal.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:02 am 

Man, Vault's No More Escape rules hard. Wish I would have checked them out sooner.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 384, 385, 386, 387, 388, 389, 390 ... 625  Next