Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:39 pm 

I just want to say thank you for accepting my review of Aeon`s latest album. Whoever that mystery man is.

Mr_Allergic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:34 pm 

I also never got over that ridiculous review of Deathspell Omega's album by Kruel. It's pure nonesense. Noktorn's review of that album is also packed with unrelated crap, even though he gives a few reasons to dislike the album, but 0%? Makes it seem very unserious. If I remember correctly Noktorn even admits that they have created a new "trend" within black metal with their style, which has to mean they are original to some extent, and in a good way too for most who hear that album.

I also notice often that Noctir reviews a lot with very low scores on albums that are viewed as great by most who like the genre, probably just to drag the overall score down. Latest example I've seen is his review of the incredible album Salvation by Funeral Mist. It seems like that guy is very narrow-minded when it comes to black metal. Is it because of jealousy or something? Why does he have to state his opinion if he doesn't even truly like black metal? Answer if you will Noctir, why do you care to make so many excessively negative reviews when you know it's only that negative when heard with a very narrow, subjective perspective like your own?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:51 pm 

Mr_Allergic, don't jump into assumptions just because someone doesn't like the mainstream stuff. Noctir is quite dedicated to black metal.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:27 pm 

And yet, more people think they can dictate how other people rate albums, as if there were some universal standard, and as if personal opinion and feelings never went into ratings. Snore.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:57 pm 

Mr_Allergic wrote:
I also never got over that ridiculous review of Deathspell Omega's album by Kruel. It's pure nonesense. Noktorn's review of that album is also packed with unrelated crap, even though he gives a few reasons to dislike the album, but 0%? Makes it seem very unserious. If I remember correctly Noktorn even admits that they have created a new "trend" within black metal with their style, which has to mean they are original to some extent, and in a good way too for most who hear that album.

I also notice often that Noctir reviews a lot with very low scores on albums that are viewed as great by most who like the genre, probably just to drag the overall score down. Latest example I've seen is his review of the incredible album Salvation by Funeral Mist. It seems like that guy is very narrow-minded when it comes to black metal. Is it because of jealousy or something? Why does he have to state his opinion if he doesn't even truly like black metal? Answer if you will Noctir, why do you care to make so many excessively negative reviews when you know it's only that negative when heard with a very narrow, subjective perspective like your own?

On the other hand, his obvious troll reviews are easy to ignore, if you take a look at the author's name... ;)

But yeah, prettY much my thoughts, too...

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:16 pm 

Mr_Allergic wrote:
Is it because of jealousy or something?

Never say this sort of thing, it's annoying as fuck. If someone doesn't like something, it's not because of a whole bunch of unrelated reasons, it's because they don't like it. Putting forth these sort of "You just don't like it because you're jealous/elitist/want to look cool/etc" arguments are annoying as hell for the recipient since they basically handwave away every argument the writer has made in favour of something the reader is assuming.

As for the ratio of negatives, some people enjoy writing negative reviews, they can indeed be cathartic. Also I think actually involves an largely different skillset, and as such the author may not really find writing positive things as natural, or find their own writings unenjoyable when outside that comfort zone.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:13 am 

And really what are you accusing him of being jealous of? Their playing ability? That he can't play like them? I would assume that someone who reviews music must like some kind of music, so why would he even want to play something he doesn't like when he could play something that...you know, he does like? I for one would rather be a member of Sunn O))) than a member of Dream Theater.

Mr_Allergic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:20 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Mr_Allergic wrote:
Is it because of jealousy or something?

Never say this sort of thing, it's annoying as fuck. If someone doesn't like something, it's not because of a whole bunch of unrelated reasons, it's because they don't like it. Putting forth these sort of "You just don't like it because you're jealous/elitist/want to look cool/etc" arguments are annoying as hell for the recipient since they basically handwave away every argument the writer has made in favour of something the reader is assuming.

As for the ratio of negatives, some people enjoy writing negative reviews, they can indeed be cathartic. Also I think actually involves an largely different skillset, and as such the author may not really find writing positive things as natural, or find their own writings unenjoyable when outside that comfort zone.

Sure, I could have spared you for that one, but I was quite annoyed myself and wanted to provoke some answer. Many of Noctir's reviews do not reflect any skillset at all. Let me use the Salvation review as an example. Half the review is about the lyrics, such as the "it is not truly evil to know the bible" whining like Kruel also used as a silly argument. Sentences such as "they might have realized that drumming is supposed to be a background element in black metal." shows how narrow minded this guy is. Who is he to say that? The most annoying thing about reading his excessively negative reviews is that he ignores so much of what makes albums great and unique, and focuses on quite insignificant aspects like for example how much sampling was used before and after a song, the hype/popularity of the album or the nature of the lyrics. If you are going to focus on lyrics like that, you might miss a lot of good music like some NS black metal.

People like this often give the impression that they think most good black metal bands are either a Darkthrone/Burzum clone or "not following the proper black metal recipie", so it's either too much or too little no matter what. Of course, there is no universal standard for % rating, but people actually usually follow some norm to some extent atleast. When you see 20%, it usually means that it was an agonizing experience to listen to the album. His review of Salvation does not reflect that at all. Maybe in his mind 20% is a right below decent score, but few think like that.

So I do wonder how Noctir's logics work when he writes reviews and listen to music. The score seems extremely unserious and hurts how the score functions as a pinpoint for the quality of the music. I for one get provoked by his reviews because I feel like I want to explain to him what he is missing in the album or have him explain properly why so meaningless aspects of the album matter so much to him. So I have to keep ignoring his reviews.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:57 am 

That was a very well worded argument, which I can empathize with. With that being said the best thing is to just leave it be as everyone has an opinion, however different or flawed it may be. That's the point of everyone being able to put out a review on the site, the fact that all opinions are valid. So despite how much I agree with you there's no other course of action rather than actively ignoring an opinion you know from starters that contradicts your own.

Mr_Allergic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:41 pm 

androdion wrote:
With that being said the best thing is to just leave it be as everyone has an opinion, however different or flawed it may be. That's the point of everyone being able to put out a review on the site, the fact that all opinions are valid.

That's true, I just wish his opinions didn't hurt the overall score as a pinpoint tool. People who view Salvation on this site for the first time cannot see that it's the superior album of that band (in the general opinion) by first glance anymore just because he had to state his opinion. Nothing to do about it, though. On the other hand I'm glad we have a reviewer like autothrall in black metal, as his reviews are always accurate and trustworthy.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:08 pm 

Mr_Allergic wrote:
androdion wrote:
With that being said the best thing is to just leave it be as everyone has an opinion, however different or flawed it may be. That's the point of everyone being able to put out a review on the site, the fact that all opinions are valid.

That's true, I just wish his opinions didn't hurt the overall score as a pinpoint tool. People who view Salvation on this site for the first time cannot see that it's the superior album of that band (in the general opinion) by first glance anymore just because he had to state his opinion. Nothing to do about it, though. On the other hand I'm glad we have a reviewer like autothrall in black metal, as his reviews are always accurate and trustworthy.

There's the problem right there, people care about the overall score way too much! Take the new Cattle Decapitation album for instance, it has something like 97% on 10-11 reviews (last time I checked). It must be the best album ever right?! Because no one reviewed it negatively it must the holy grail of metal right?! Right???

Last week or so Subrick posted a 30% review on Beyond Creation's album, to which I replied him here that his points didn't make any sense. Mind you that I didn't bitch about the score but rather the wording and arguments put out. But another user complained because now the overall score was 15 points (or whatever) lower, and now the most perfect album with a near perfect score didn't have that e-penis anymore.

Overall ratings are for people who don't read reviews or that don't have an attention span big enough to listen to the whole album twice and see if it's good or bad. But hey, that's just me. ;)

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:39 pm 

The Cattle Decapitation album has a 95% with 13 reviews. The only "negative" review of it was autothrall's 70%, whereas every other review of it is 90% or higher, as well as six 100% scores.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:45 pm 

Umm... this might be a stupid question, but what's the actual point of the people who whine about albums having several very favourable reviews and a high average rating?

I mean, is there a reason why a release absolutely needs to either be knocked down a few rungs, or is there an universal need for a dissenting opinion? This is a frequently recurring discussion, in any case.

I never really understood this. I guess you people will illuminate my mental basement...

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:30 pm 

Napero wrote:
Umm... this might be a stupid question, but what's the actual point of the people who whine about albums having several very favourable reviews and a high average rating?

Probably the same of when people complain about one negative review among a flock of stellar ones?!

I really have gone beyond the point of caring/pissing averages, although in all honestly I've complained here about that Cattle Decapitation album. Ironic isn't it?! However I've done some reorganizing in my life over the past months and I've come to the conclusion that it's alright if an album "seems" universally loved. I really don't care, although I might mention it occasionally out of spite, eh.

I think people need to spend more time with the actual music and less with the albums' average scores.

PS: I've missed your snarky remarks Nappy. ;)

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:51 pm 

Napero wrote:

I mean, is there a reason why a release absolutely needs to either be knocked down a few rungs, or is there an universal need for a dissenting opinion? This is a frequently recurring discussion, in any case.

I never really understood this. I guess you people will illuminate my mental basement...

I'm actually pretty suceptible to this sort of thing, watching as something I find quite poor get praised to death does make me want to wander up and shit on it a little, although I'm not one for the dramatic "worst thing ever" knock it down a rung sort of thing, so usually I'm satisfied when someone puts out a "this isn't so great" review, like a few recent ones for Pallbearer. I'd like to think I'm not the only person who feels a millitant need to get involved when you see half a dozen people saying to opposite of what you think about something, just so I don't feel like such a retaliatory asshole. Although I have to say I'm still tempted to have a go a Wintersuns newey, even though there are 30 reviews for it, simply because no one as gone far enough.

Oh and on the Noctir subject, I don't actually know the gyys reviews, from memory they are quite poor, I was more just commenting on the type of reasoning you used. Not giving detailed or meningful points is lame, although I actually thing Kruel justifies his 0% perfectly well, its just that his justiication is lame.

fucknicethings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:10 pm 

I took some time to write a review. I'm just curious to know if there's anything at all redeeming about it, and where I could possibly improve. I've had an interest in reviewing music for the metal archives for a while.

Quote:
MARCH TO THE BLACK HOLOCAUST

This is what black metal is supposed to sound like. It's an an experience of raw blackness and hatred, the likes of which few other bands can even touch, besides the brethren of vlad tepes and belketre, fellow les legions noir member mutiilation. This is some of the most memorable music I have ever heard. It's not for the superficial casual listener though. However, those who really are looking for this sound should look no further.

Vlad tepes has a very old school style, the likes of bathory's debut, with lots of distortion smothered on top, this is very low fi music. I like to think of it as an envelopment of the ear, with music that is very harsh, and drowns the ear with the sounds of filthy distortion, and sour melodies. Belketre's sound is so raw, black and grim, and it balances so well with the vlad tepes tracks. The two bands play a very different style, but both's styles come off with gusto and unique style.

Those who listen on behalf of themselves, not on behalf of the band, should find something as grim as they could hope for. I say this because this band's style is grim and hateful. In spite of you, the listener, the album is anti human, and you are human. If you deny yourself the ability to enjoy dense, noisy material, you will likely not enjoy it. This band is the greasy dingleberry of a dimmu borgir member's putrid, filthy asshole.

This is an album for the ages. It's an album I revere as one of the top black metal releases in existence. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who is just getting into black metal though, because their hipster faces would likely be torn the fuck off.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:14 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Although I have to say I'm still tempted to have a go a Wintersuns newey, even though there are 30 reviews for it, simply because no one as gone far enough.

I shouldn't get into it again, but the problem with reviews of that is not that nobody went far enough.

fucknicethings wrote:
I took some time to write a review. I'm just curious to know if there's anything at all redeeming about it, and where I could possibly improve. I've had an interest in reviewing music for the metal archives for a while.

The comparison to old Bathory and layers of distortion is good, but otherwise you're not really saying a lot about the music. The comparisons to other LLN bands aren't great because they're too vague to say much to those who know them, but say little to those who know them. Your points about who you wouldn't recommend it to come across poorly, avoid those completely. Needs a lot of work, check out some other reviews on the site and see how people talk directly about the music - Ilwhyan does a good job of reviewing black metal. There's also a thread for getting feedback on reviews in this forum. :P

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:22 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:
Although I have to say I'm still tempted to have a go a Wintersuns newey, even though there are 30 reviews for it, simply because no one as gone far enough.

I shouldn't get into it again, but the problem with reviews of that is not that nobody went far enough.

I think Matt's trying to say that he dislikes it even more than most of the negative reviews on there are saying, not that the content of the reviews isn't in depth enough.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:53 am 

Yeah, basically nobody out of 30 people have hated it as much as me, and every time someone else puts out a review with less endless spite than I have for it, I get more compulsion to write an angry, terribly formatted spewing of vitriol. Each new one making my barely literate scorn bubble to the surface, eventually causing me to explode in an instantly rejected flurry of cursing. But if somebody did happen to put out one that exactly summed up my thoughts, I'd be cool with it and I'd go along with my day as usual.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:58 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I get more compulsion to write an angry, terribly formatted spewing of vitriol.

Zodijackyl rejects.

lord_ghengis wrote:
barely literate scorn

:lol:

I see that you are serious in your hatred. Perhaps projectile-expelling some of the emotional chyme and wiping it up with a word document will help a bit. This could be wrung out and the slurry distilled into the purest acid of derision -- a searing 0%.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:00 pm 

Not a terrible idea, but then you'd have more people coming out of the woodwork to tell lord_ghengis how jealous he is of Wintersun, and how a 0% isn't a fair rating because at least the members of the band can play their instruments competently. :p

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:48 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/S ... /eetfuk666
Quote:
“Silent Leges Inter Arma”, a phrase taken from one of Emperor Cicero’s most famous quotes, is supposed to mean “Under the weapons, the laws keep silent”. Rostock-based German band of the same name released their eponymously-titled full-length album recently through Eisenwald with fans and new listeners alike garnering to see if their music can really be a “weapon”. Upon listening to the first track “We Are”, which showcases the band’s heavy style and intricate technicality, one immediately realizes that this band does not think much of playing safe.

I did not know that Cicero had been an Emperor. Neither the quote nor the translation are correct, in case someone is a bit nit-picky. And also this paragraph does not make much sense.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by oneyoudontknow on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:53 pm 

LOL, a quick look at wikipedia can tell you Cicera was never an emperor haha! Man, I know we can't all be Rome history specialists but come on :(

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:22 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Not a terrible idea, but then you'd have more people coming out of the woodwork to tell lord_ghengis how jealous he is of Wintersun, and how a 0% isn't a fair rating because at least the members of the band can play their instruments competently. :p

1% ? :)

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:11 pm 

Currently busy writing down things for my upcomming rewritten review of Virgin Steele's latest record. Looking back at it, I just don't think that I've described things too well.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:05 am 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Silent_Leges_Inter_Arma/Silent_Leges_Inter_Arma/352709/eetfuk666
Quote:
“Silent Leges Inter Arma”, a phrase taken from one of Emperor Cicero’s most famous quotes, is supposed to mean “Under the weapons, the laws keep silent”. Rostock-based German band of the same name released their eponymously-titled full-length album recently through Eisenwald with fans and new listeners alike garnering to see if their music can really be a “weapon”. Upon listening to the first track “We Are”, which showcases the band’s heavy style and intricate technicality, one immediately realizes that this band does not think much of playing safe.

I did not know that Cicero had been an Emperor. Neither the quote nor the translation are correct, in case someone is a bit nit-picky. And also this paragraph does not make much sense.

Good call :lol: I have informed the user and removed the review, pending editing and factual accuracy.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:33 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Good call :lol: I have informed the user and removed the review, pending editing and factual accuracy.

That's why I left the quote out of my review. I never trust translations of languages I don't know. Which is everything but English. I must say, I'm getting pretty good at Engrish too.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:09 pm 

As usual ... sadly, also the band name has an error. See my comment in the additional notes of the site and release.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:09 am 

colin040 wrote:
Currently busy writing down things for my upcomming rewritten review of Virgin Steele's latest record. Looking back at it, I just don't think that I've described things too well.

Best method is to write as much as you want/can of a review and then come back to it a day or two later and read over what you have. You'd be surprised at how much fluff you can excise and coming back to it with a fresh mind helps bring other opinions and thoughts to the surface.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:53 am 

zeingard wrote:
colin040 wrote:

Best method is to write as much as you want/can of a review and then come back to it a day or two later and read over what you have. You'd be surprised at how much fluff you can excise and coming back to it with a fresh mind helps bring other opinions and thoughts to the surface.

Yep. Right now I wrote some of my ideas about the album on a word file. I'll revisit it in a few days and see what else I can come up with. Then, I'll eventually put it in a good order as a review should be like.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:14 am 

We need to seriously discuss the amazing new Nickelback reviews. Awesome reading. I am still thoroughly amazed that it so long for the kings of brutal slam death metal, who also dabble in raw black metal, to get onto the site!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:18 am 

Goatfangs's review of Curb.

/thread

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:29 am 

On an actual serious note, will the mods be accepting reviews for non-Nickelback albums throughout the day?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:12 pm 

The new Alice in Chains review: http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/A ... _Dei_Ameth
It's juvenile, abuses expletives and lame metaphors but whatever. Just pointing out an inconsistency here: '' Stone, the song itself is total throwback to riffs we have heard before, but the way Layne manages to re-arrange them into something new is nothing short of genius. ''

Layne is dead, buddy.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:23 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
The new Alice in Chains review: http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/A ... _Dei_Ameth
It's juvenile, abuses expletives and lame metaphors but whatever. Just pointing out an inconsistency here: '' Stone, the song itself is total throwback to riffs we have heard before, but the way Layne manages to re-arrange them into something new is nothing short of genius. ''

Layne is dead, buddy.

For the album, as the reviewer put it, "The Devil Brought Dinosaurs". Wow, that was bad.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:38 am 

Quote:
Can I for the record start this review by saying something completely immature and not of my age? I can? Sweet, ok here it goes: Alice In Chains is a band that gets my dick harder than a rock encased in concrete covered in steel first thing in the morning. There, I said it and I am serious, and for the record, I'm no homo

:nono:

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:05 am 

Ha wow, that is atrotious, funnier than a lot of the stuff inthe crappy deim.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:26 pm 

I think the fact that he feels the need to clarify that he' "no homo" is just as bad as him thinking that Layne is still alive and in the band despite apparently being one of their biggest fans.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:43 am 

That new De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas review makes my piss boil. Varg should've killed Attila aswell, because his vocals were the album's weakest link? I couldn't read past that. I'll probably write more once I've calmed down.

Edit: I can't really read the review, it makes me angry the instant I try. This guy bought a pirate DMDS that contained something else than the actual album.

Last edited by hakarl on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:00 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
I think the fact that he feels the need to clarify that he' "no homo" is just as bad as him thinking that Layne is still alive and in the band despite apparently being one of their biggest fans.

It's like...if you're so insecure in yourself that you feel the need to clarify you're "no homo", maybe you shouldn't have spent the opening of your review discussing your dick. :nono:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 520  Next