* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ira Divina
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:30 am 

Okay, hey everyone,

I hope some of you can help me.

Ever since I started playing the drums (that was about 2 and a half years ago), I've been wanting to play proper Blast Beats, but, so far, I haven't found a technique which seems to work out for me.

So, my question is... what technique do you for Blast Beating and do you have any advice for me?

Thank you for your responses~
Seyn Todt in Schwartz!

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:28 am 

alternate between kick/random cymbal - snare.. do this really fast. Now you are blasting :P

alternatively, play everything at once (kick, snare, cymbal)...

try to use your fingers for faster parts (like you would in fast fills), so that youre not completely dependent on wrist action, try to use your wrist more for accents. as far as theory goes blastbeats aren't that hard :P the tricky thing is to remain consistent in terms of power and speed. The best way to improve that is to practice, practice, and practice some more (preferably with a metronome)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:39 am 

also work on increasing your stamina. Don't fall into the trap of some drummers where they will blast literally 3 seconds and then throw in a fill or something basically to give themselves a break from blasting. A good long blast is stronger than a ton of fills during what should be a streamlined piece.

I can easily withhold a 30min blast with no fills. Probably could go longer but after that I am beyond bored.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:24 pm 

USE A METRONOME (or a just play along to the radio if you're easily bored with monotone sounds as I am,) and start slow just try to keep it steady and even through the song. As SLK said, endurance is extremely important and working your way up to full speed gradually will help much more than just starting off full bore. I started by playing "thrash beats" (double timed back beat) over old Boston albums and the like. Once I could make it through a song without much strain I started doing 4 bars of the thrash beat then 2 bars double timing. As you get more solid with that try doing 4 bars of each, then 6 and so on

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:25 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
also work on increasing your stamina. Don't fall into the trap of some drummers where they will blast literally 3 seconds and then throw in a fill or something basically to give themselves a break from blasting. A good long blast is stronger than a ton of fills during what should be a streamlined piece.

This. If you can't maintain a blast for more than a few seconds then don't bother til you can. Don't be afraid of taking a longer time to learn to do it right. I'm no drummer, but this is from the perspective of another musician, many of whom you will undoubtedly jam with, given the general worldwide drummer shortage.

Ira Divina
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:43 pm 

Appreciate it.

I'll remember when practicing.
Seyn Todt in Schwartz!

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:56 pm 

I fell off with my drumming a few years ago but something that helped me at the time was starting slow and incrementally increasing the tempo. All I ever did was the basic kick & hat / snare pattern but I practiced it at a pretty slow tempo for a bit and then kept nudging my metronome up a few BPM every day.

Goran
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:21 am 

What's the max single stroke bpm for your individual limbs?

Maybe it's not a coordination issue but merely a question of technique and speed.
In which case, exercise each hand and foot individually as well.

Ira Divina
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:56 pm 

210 bpm quarters work without problems, I guess I can play 240-260 with no actual problems, too, but I never measured them.
Seyn Todt in Schwartz!

Ira Divina
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:30 am 

Bump?
Seyn Todt in Schwartz!

Goran
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:04 am 

Ira Divina wrote:
210 bpm quarters work without problems, I guess I can play 240-260 with no actual problems, too, but I never measured them.

Let's say we have something sounding like a blastbeat from 190 bpm (16th notes).
That means one hand has to play 8ths at 190, or 4ths at 380.

So yeah, seems like you need to improve on your individual hand speed first.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:26 pm 

If you play the "alternative" blastbeat type (kick-cymbal then snare, kick-cymbal then snare and so forth):

When you go above the 280 BPM tempo, your right hand (if you're right-handed) might get tired, so I suggest you just hit the cymbal one in two times instead of every time. When you're comfortable enough, hit the cymbal every time, but harder on the first time, so that the second hit use less energy. About the snare, just let the stick bounce on it.

There's no magic formula, you have to practice and accelerate the tempo as soon as your blastbeat is regular.

Reply to topic