Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:55 pm 

There were so many funny things dude. Pretty much everything involving the black guy, the main chick thinking Great Dictator was a pro Nazi movie, North Korea trying to take credit for the attack, Finland being the only country to not have a secret weapon etc
Also if you don't think reverse blackface is funny and you then suggest a Uwe Boll movie...

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:09 pm 

There wasn't much I found funny in Iron Sky. Pretty much every joke was either 'Americans are dumb' or 'look how over the top these Nazis act.' That reverse blackface thing was horrific to look at, too. The characters were boring and mostly I just thought it was disposable. Nobody will really think it's funny a few years from now.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:35 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
Nick Fury

Sam Jack as Fury is so .. um .. someone help me here. Awful? Mis-cast? um .. "bad"? bad will do until a proper replacement is found.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:56 pm 

The reverse blackface was supposed to look shitty. That's why it was funny. Holding up is a big problem with topical humour. I truly don't get the hate, as I found it immensely enjoyable and it was a good stupid comedy without ever going full retard.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:09 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
There wasn't much I found funny in Iron Sky. Pretty much every joke was either 'Americans are dumb' or 'look how over the top these Nazis act.' That reverse blackface thing was horrific to look at, too. The characters were boring and mostly I just thought it was disposable. Nobody will really think it's funny a few years from now.

Don't take this personal, but it seems to me that just like Rubber the movie's humor just went over your head. Satire is usually a bit more complex than just making fun of stereotypical characters, even if ridiculous stereotypes are featured prominently. The fact that they are ridiculous and cartoonish should be a hint to most people. If you think the movie wants to tell us that Americans are dumb, you didn't pay enough attention.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:26 pm 

Alright, well if you want to tell me it went over my head, explain exactly what it was that I missed. I'm honestly curious to hear your answer, because I am familiar with what satire is, and neither Rubber nor Iron Sky is a good example of such a genre. Believe you me, I didn't miss any of the jokes or references that Iron Sky was going for, I just didn't think any of them were funny or clever at all. But really...if you found something else in the movie, I'd love to hear it, cause I sure couldn't be further away from you in contrasting opinions here.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:39 pm 

This just in: people can have different senses of humor. More at 11.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:12 am 

Just finished The Loved Ones. It's an Australian horror film from a few years ago. I really enjoyed the movie. When the movie wants to be funny, it's quite funny, and when the movie wants to be dark, it is DARK. Highly recommend it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:26 am 

failsafeman wrote:

But inhumanist's remark wasn't of the 'diffrnt strokes' variety; it was a direct attack on Emp's ability to grasp humor, hilariously implying that the sewer slumming stupidity of Iron Sky and that shitty Mr. Oizo... thing was somehow high brow. So I think Emp is well within his right to call him out on it and I'm definitely interested to see what inhumanist manages to conjure up.

Furthermore, isn't this entire forum dedicated to the subjective appreciation of art? Isn't humor just another facet of aesthetic appreciation? If not... well... why not? What makes humor somehow impervious to criticism?

Meanwhile, if people want to see an incredibly wacky and weird satire that's actually not shit (in my opinion, of course--diffrnt strokes an' all), check out François Ozon's Sitcom.

Necroticism174 wrote:
Also if you don't think reverse blackface is funny and you then suggest a Uwe Boll movie...

...but it wasn't "reverse blackface." Do you even know what blackface is? Speaking of the black dude, the only thing I'll remember from Iron Sky in a year or two is that it carries the single worst deployment of the Jive Turkey trope I've seen in the last decade. No hyperbo.

Stoic, Rampage and the director's cut of Postal are all good films; the first being very, very close to a masterpiece. I strongly recommend all of them; I also strongly recommend you avoid all of his other films, because they mostly suck.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:51 am 

darkeningday wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

But inhumanist's remark wasn't of the 'diffrnt strokes' variety; it was a direct attack on Emp's ability to grasp humor, hilariously implying that the sewer slumming stupidity of Iron Sky and that shitty Mr. Oizo... thing was somehow high brow. So I think Emp is well within his right to call him out on it and I'm definitely interested to see what inhumanist manages to conjure up.

Um, yeah? It's exactly that part of inhumanist's comment that I was responding to. He seemed to be implying that because Empyreal didn't like Iron Sky, he didn't understand it - the corollary of that implication is that understanding necessarily leads to enjoyment, which is of course absurd. We can talk about the structure, pacing, dialog, acting, etc. and dissect every single joke until we're blue in the face, but that's not going to suddenly make Empyreal laugh at jokes he didn't laugh at before.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:38 am 

Actually I wasn't talking about his enjoyment but about him implying the movie is stupid based on his ridiculously simplified summary of its supposed humoristic scope that doesn't at all match with my experience.

Yeah, I'll just chicken out of this discussion cause I really need to figure out Kant's aesthetical theory right now. Way to stir shit up, past-me. :brick:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Last edited by inhumanist on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:51 am 

Of course I was exaggerating when I said 'every joke was about dumb Americans.' That's not true, obviously there were more, but overall that was sort of the film's tone and point. It was trying to say that American culture had grown so up its own ass that, under certain circumstances, they would fall for the same tricks that Nazi Germany did in the 30s. Which, admittedly, is a pretty funny idea. But other than that, the movie was a waste of time, just like Rubber. There just wasn't much going on there beyond a few gimmicks and silly ideas. Just not my kind of humor at any rate.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:39 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4CY5HrD71g

A third Pitch Black film, simply titled Riddick, is coming out this Fall. Honestly, this looks like an improvent over Chronicles of Riddick.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:28 am 

Saw some bad movies.

Toxic Avenger part II: Does it retain the fun, humour, and enjoyability of the first one? Nope. It sucks. Most of the comedy falls flat, it's really boring even at only 90 minutes, the story is forced and lame. Yeah it's over-the-top, but it just feels sloppy this time around.

Broken Arrow: I like John Woo quite a bit, so I was expecting this to be awesome. It wasn't. There's a few good action scenes (obviously, considering the director) but the story is a real clunker, Travolta overacts but wouldn't quite hit the sweet spot until his next film with Woo, the female character is lame. A real loaf of baloney. Overall, my least favourite Woo movie.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:27 pm 

Watching 2001 Maniacs solely out of boredom. Robert Englund is infinitely too good for this movie.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:28 pm 

I watched that yesterday. It was awesome, fool.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:35 pm 

"Nude Nuns with Big Guns". It's on Netflix. Watch it :P

I'll be a nice guy, though, and bring it to everyone's attention that most of the actresses aren't very attractive at all. It's just an over-the-top action/thriller with a very simple plot, some hilarious dialogue, tons of blasphemy, and tits. What separates it from other B-movies that I've seen is the fact that the people who made it didn't intend for it to be taken seriously.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:59 pm 

I've eyed that movie so many times. It's good to know that it's not INSANELY TERRIBLE, which was my first judgement. Maybe I'll watch it really crunk with some friends.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:56 pm 

Don't Go in the Woods 2010 - ???/5

One of the weirdest movies I've ever seen. Directed by Private Pyle from Full Metal Jacket (yes, really), this is a slasher horror film with no budget for gore effects but a lot of budget for musical songs, as it is about an indie rock band. The music is mediocre to awful, the characters are ludicrous and the story is flimsy at best. But honestly, what else did you expect. The whole idea is just so batshit insane that a lot of the fun of this movie comes from just scratching your head, wondering what the hell Mr. Vincent D'Onofrio was thinking when he signed on to direct this. It's terrible, a complete trainwreck, but it's so fascinating because it IS trying to do something different. While it failed at that, it sure did so in such an interesting way.

The Croods - 4.25/5

A hilarious animated film about a family of cave-people venturing out to avoid the end of the world as they know it. There are a lot of clever moments in this, and almost every joke hits straight on - just a laugh out loud festival of good jokes, much funnier than films like Paranorman or Wreck It Ralph, which focused more on a blend of drama, adventure and comedy. This has its dramatic moments near the end, and it does them well, but most of the film is just hilariously funny. Sometimes it's kind of generic, like the jokes that focus around the little monkey sidekick character, but even then it's still fairly well done. Most of this is just great, witty and wholesome humor that can appeal to anyone, and the movie bounces along at a boisterous pace that will keep you engaged all the way through. Also noteworthy for one of the best Nic Cage performances since the 90s.

Miller's Crossing - 4.5/5

This is a very early Joel Coen picture, and it's also one of the cheesiest, most cliche examples of a mob film I have ever seen...literally every over the top cliche is embraced in this, from the numerous side-switchings between different mafias, every single character smoking and drinking in every scene, and lots of deep-voiced, stoic-faced monologues about who's stealing from who. It's like a carnival of every trope you can think of for movies like this. And it's so, so enjoyable. I haven't had fun with a movie like this in ages...it's weird because most mob movies aren't fun fun, more cerebral and epic, but Miller's Crossing takes its bloody, vengeful plot and turns it into a really entertaining picture. Gabriel Byrne is great, Jon Polito is a ton of fun and Marcia Gay Harden is great as your typical sultry, over-serious dame in a mob movie. This is a great, kick ass flick you should see if you haven't.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:23 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

Broken Arrow: ..Travolta overacts..

"I know! Ain't it cool?!"

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:06 am 

Miller's Crossing is great. Coen's can do almost no wrong in my book.

Olympus has Fallen: Fucking AWESOME movie. No jokes. This is what the last Die Hard should have been in that it actually felt like a fucking Die Hard movie. The action was surprisingly super brutal, the pacing was relentless, the plot was fine for this kind of thing (the Korean's super elaborate and cool plan being noteworthy). Just a really fun movie. Gerard Butler somehow convincing as the lead, which was a pleasant surprise because he generally sucks. You can actually SEE what's going on in the action scenes. Particularly hilarious to note was the whole AMERICA, YEAH! KOREA FUCK YOU! undercurrent present during the whole movie. Tragic music plays while their flag falls in slow motion, then they eventually triumph etc etc Like, there's literally a scene where a chick is getting dragged and she screams ''AMERICA'' It was the perfect combination of so many action movie tropes. There's lots of leaps of logic and some kind of bad CGI, but it's all in good fun.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:29 am 

First movie I watched today was Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever. I've never seen the original, but I watched this one solely because Ti West's name was on it. Even though it isn't really his movie since it got re-shot and re-edited quite a bit without his approval, it was alright. There are still a few Eli Roth douchebag characters that you want to punch in the throat like Giuseppe Andrews's cop character and the best friend character, but the leads are at least kinda likable, which is a Ti West tradition. The stuff they do with blood and other bodily fluids in this movie is hilarious, particularly in the prom when the virus spreads to all the students at such an unrealistic pace that it could only happen in a horror film. Special mention in that scene goes to two characters making out and subsequently puking blood in each others' mouths.

Between this and the second movie I watched, I tried to watch a Youtube movie called Head Case. I shut it off after 30 minutes. I could not fucking stand it, it was so annoying and stupid. Don't watch it, even though it has Linda from Slumber Party Massacre in it.

Second film I watched was Silent House. Up until the ending I was really, really digging the movie. The acting was good, it was fucking intense and suspenseful, the method of doing the film as one long take led to some cool cinematography, and Elizabeth Olsen you just cannot help but like as a character. Then the climax started on the third floor of the house, and even through a portion of that it was still pretty chilling and goosebump-y. However, the last 10 minutes happened, and within those 10 minutes it makes the entire previous 70 minutes almost completely impossible to understand. I hate it when movies do this, how they'll start out really good, carry it through most of the rest of the movie, and then screw it all up with an ending so completely ridiculous and mindscrewing that David Lynch would get confused. It negated most of the rest of the film for me, by sole virtue of making it absolutely incomprehensible.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:41 am 

Subrick wrote:
First movie I watched today was Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever. I've never seen the original, but I watched this one solely because Ti West's name was on it. Even though it isn't really his movie since it got re-shot and re-edited quite a bit without his approval, it was alright. There are still a few Eli Roth douchebag characters that you want to punch in the throat like Giuseppe Andrews's cop character and the best friend character, but the leads are at least kinda likable, which is a Ti West tradition. The stuff they do with blood and other bodily fluids in this movie is hilarious, particularly in the prom when the virus spreads to all the students at such an unrealistic pace that it could only happen in a horror film. Special mention in that scene goes to two characters making out and subsequently puking blood in each others' mouths.

Cabin Fever is one of the worst horror films I've seen and I've no intention to watch the sequel. The way the disease spreads and all the haphazard killings it evokes a sense of amusement rather than horror.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:17 am 

I wouldn't call Cabin Fever a horror film. It really is more of a bizarre and absurd comedy with lots of gore and little sense to it. Like the douche who hunts squirrel with a BB gun because they're gay, or the cop who wants to paaaartyyyy maaaaan!! Or better, the taekwonpancake kid.

Necroticism174 wrote:
there's literally a scene where a chick is getting dragged and she screams ''AMERICA''

:lol:

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:27 am 

I wasn't too keen on Miller's Crossing. The cast isn't that great and it hits all the clichés in a not very interesting way. I think I liked it more as The Glass Key. Definitely one of the poorer Coen films.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:48 am 

kingnuuuur wrote:
I wouldn't call Cabin Fever a horror film. It really is more of a bizarre and absurd comedy with lots of gore and little sense to it. Like the douche who hunts squirrel with a BB gun because they're gay, or the cop who wants to paaaartyyyy maaaaan!! Or better, the taekwonpancake kid.
That is almost as silly as this. Almost.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:31 am 

Silent House was absolutely deplorable. Awful movie with almost nothing good about it...you know how people say shaky cam/found footage movies hurt their heads, well Silent House did that for me. The camerawork was just unbelievably bad. Plus the story was shit, so there was also that.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:23 am 

I liked the simplicity of the movie up until the ending. Just a home invasion in a powerless house and she's trying to evade the intruder. Then that ending happened where simplicity was shat all over and kicked in the face with a steel toed boot.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:43 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Saw some bad movies.

Toxic Avenger part II: Does it retain the fun, humour, and enjoyability of the first one? Nope. It sucks. Most of the comedy falls flat, it's really boring even at only 90 minutes, the story is forced and lame. Yeah it's over-the-top, but it just feels sloppy this time around.

Go ahead and skip the third one as well... it's awful. The fourth one though, Citizen Toxie, is fantastic and highly recommended if you liked the first!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:41 pm 

I in the FFA wrote:
Any of you guys ever watched the Joker Blogs? You know, those videos made by fans which are set in the Nolan version of the Batman universe. They explain what happened with the Joker between The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises, and they're extremely well made. The dude who plays the Joker is practically a dead ringer for Ledger's version of the character.

So yeah, maybe it's more appropiate to post this here.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:51 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Silent House was absolutely deplorable. Awful movie with almost nothing good about it...you know how people say shaky cam/found footage movies hurt their heads, well Silent House did that for me. The camerawork was just unbelievably bad. Plus the story was shit, so there was also that.

I remember seeing that in the theater and nearly falling sleep twice. Kinda sad when someone behind me seemed shocked when the little "ghost" girl was outside. Everything about the "one shot" gimmick was lame, especially when they admitted that it wasnt.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:44 am 

I know I'm late here, but isn't it kind of obvious that casting Jamie Foxx (especially after Django) and to a lesser extent Sam Jackson is a marketing ploy to appeal to as broad a target audience as possible?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:47 am 

Oh my God guys. I went to a one night only screening of John Dies At The End organized by some of the people who run Fantasia film festival tonight and it was brilliant. The movie isn't getting a theatrical release otherwise so they decided to take matter into their own hands, and i'm so glad they did. They opened with trailers for a few movies which they're giving similar treatment to (including American Mary, which looks epic.) and a short film called Bio-Cop (which was literally perfect. I laughed so hard. It played brilliantly on so many tropes and was probably even better than the movie itself.)

As for the movie itself, it's like nothing you've ever seen before and certainly one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen. In turns hilarious, subsersive, gory, sometimes immature, and always so much fun, it was a joy to watch. It unfolds almost like a stream-of-consciousness dream and throws so many outlandish concepts at the viewer while still never losing the plot and remaining understandable through it all. I really don't want to give anything more so I'll leave with this, Don Coscarelli has outdone himself in sheer entertainment. My only problem is that so much happens and it moves from one crazy thing to another so quickly that by the end it gets hard to be so fully invested because you're almost drained.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:54 am 

Yeah, I've heard about that one. I'll definitely check it out based on what you wrote.

lurkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:08 am 

Meh. John Dies At The End was pretty forgettable I thought. The only memorable scene was the one where that prophet-type-guy tells Dave what dream he had the previous night (something about a bundle of dynamite going off to a clap of thunder from outside: how did your mind know that clap was coming, it lined up the dream ready for it! How did it know?), cut to Dave's face, he's maintaining a sceptical look, but we hear his thoughts in voice-over: "Holy shit!"

I just looked up IMDB to remind myself what rating I gave it (6/10) and the user review showing on the page started with "When I heard that the director of Bubba Ho-Tep had made a new movie, I had to see it." Really? Bubba Ho-Tep was a deplorable bundle of sh*te mate. This was marginally better only because I didn't actively hate it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:32 am 

I've wanted to check out that book for a while. Good to hear the movie was good.

And Bubba Ho Tep was hilarious. So absurd...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:49 am 

Been reading some reviews of the new Evil Dead. It's getting a very positive reception, something I did not expect at all solely because it's a horror remake. It's got a 78 on Rotten Tomatoes.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:29 pm 

Anyone excited about the remake of Carrie? The original is a cult classic but I'm sure Chloe Moretz will do justice to the role. She already looks BLOODY awesome on that poster. :love:
Spoiler: show
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:32 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
Anyone excited about the remake of Carrie? The original is a cult classic but I'm sure Chloe Moretz will do justice to the role. She already looks BLOODY awesome on that poster. :love:
Spoiler: show

Ack! Too close! TOO CLOSE!! I CAN'T BREATHE GODDAMMIT

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:42 pm 

I've been meaning to watch John Dies At the End because it's directed by Don Coscarelli. Bubba Ho-Tep wasn't a masterpiece but the Phantasm films were (with the exception of the third). It would be nice to see a film not produced by a major studio for once, too.

That said, the book is written by a guy that writes for Cracked.com, so I'm having my doubts.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 391, 392, 393, 394, 395, 396, 397 ... 818  Next