Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:02 am 

Bands like:

Symphony X https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaN3pwBsRf8
Adagio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyfvOdL3RrM
Jag Panzer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtkdJspdAmw

etc. Preferably not tooo cheesy on the power metal side. Preferably more progressive or thrashy when it picks up. I'll check out other genres too if the classical is interesting

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:08 am 

I've heard a lot of people say the Necrophagist album Epitaph has heavy classical influence, which is also why they dislike it mind you, but it might be a bit heavy for what you are looking for:

Then, again on the heavy side of things, there is Fleshgod Apocalypse:

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:55 pm 

Mekong Delta would be an obvious choice, having covered a whole Mussorgsky album, plus various other classical songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w90MBg7JoA

Edit: Oh wait, I just saw who posted this thread... You already know! :-D

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:09 pm 

Saving few keystrokes for first USPM person entering this thread: Helstar - Nosferatu

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:47 am 

obtained enslavement - black metal with a huge classical influence

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:35 pm 

Check out End Zone of Russia. First album was prog/thrash on the side of Mekong Delta with some strong classical leanings and death metal elements (mostly vocals), their second was mostly (entirely? it's been years since I've last listened to it) instrumental classical metal, and their last is sort of power/groovy and unfortunately with a weak singer and production because otherwise it was probably their best fusion of aggressive metal with classical elements. Lead guitarist also plays the flute on occasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQD97C2tXXw (not the best representation for the album; the rest has more classical stuff)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0q1_pRuV1M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHBoAQ5YfQM

hailmarduk666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:04 pm 

I didn't see the mentioning of "Winds" from Norway. It features Hellhammer (Mayhem, Shining, Emperor, etc.), and is extremely classical in the riffing, and has pretty excellent clean vocals. The album "The Imaginary Direction of Time" is a fantastic record. Definitely worth the look.

Megadeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:40 pm 

Haggard

Or if you'd like some guitar masturbation, Richard Andersson's Space Odyssey

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:37 am 

wrathchild_88 wrote:
Mekong Delta would be an obvious choice, having covered a whole Mussorgsky album, plus various other classical songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w90MBg7JoA

Edit: Oh wait, I just saw who posted this thread... You already know! :-D

I did already know them :) and I have paid for several of their songs on itunes. That one was new too me though, and very fun to listen to. I like their interpretation. Thanks!

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:56 am 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Check out End Zone of Russia. First album was prog/thrash on the side of Mekong Delta with some strong classical leanings and death metal elements (mostly vocals), their second was mostly (entirely? it's been years since I've last listened to it) instrumental classical metal, and their last is sort of power/groovy and unfortunately with a weak singer and production because otherwise it was probably their best fusion of aggressive metal with classical elements. Lead guitarist also plays the flute on occasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQD97C2tXXw (not the best representation for the album; the rest has more classical stuff)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0q1_pRuV1M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHBoAQ5YfQM

Are you kidding? That first track just blew my mind. Perfect! progressive, thrashy, classical, technical and awesome. Thank you. I will enjoy this for a long time. Listening to the others now.

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:29 am 

Megadeth wrote:
Haggard

I like it, very nice contrast in this song

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:32 am 

hailmarduk666 wrote:
I didn't see the mentioning of "Winds" from Norway. It features Hellhammer (Mayhem, Shining, Emperor, etc.), and is extremely classical in the riffing, and has pretty excellent clean vocals. The album "The Imaginary Direction of Time" is a fantastic record. Definitely worth the look.

Yes. The first one I listened to is Winds - Time Without End, just beautiful. Thank you.

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:34 am 

Anyone more out there? great stuff so far

I'm curious to hear some Baroque influenced metal in particular :)

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:46 pm 

"Something Wild" and "Hatebreeder" by Children of Bodom can be considered neo-classical metal albums, along with any other tags you want to put on 'em. Follow the Reaper also has a few songs in a similar vein, such as "Kissing the Shadows."

Very early In Flames, i.e. the albums "Lunar Strain" and "Subterranean" have an undeniable classical influence in the lead guitar. Hell, most of Jesper's melodies sound pretty Baroque. Check out "Stand Ablaze" off of "Subterranean" to see what I mean.

This is probably not what you're looking for, but John Zwetsloot of early Dissection was very fond of the classical guitar. I don't think anything off of "The Somberlain" is what you're looking for, but perhaps try Cardinal Sin with their sole EP "Spiteful Intents."

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:08 am 

This is almost a classical piece played in a metal fashion:

Another one from Arcturus

AzamatBagatov
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:27 am 

Nachtreich is more classical/neoclassical than metal but definitely have some metal influence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt1GQbTkLqs

AmonAmath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:04 pm 

No better band than Spawn Of Possession. Not very progressive or thrashy. Technical death metal, but not your standard type that just consists of insane riffs and solos played in odd tempos with random stops thrown in. This song in particular is a masterpiece in composition that would really hold its own beside classical composers. Too many bands (like Fleshgod Apocalypse) use orchestral instruments as a gimmick, almost as if they were composed entirely separately from the rest of the song. SoP integrate them perfectly, so much so that you often don't notice them despite being perfectly audible. Throughout the song, you'll notice counterpoint, harmonies, time sig changes, tempo changes, and some wonderful solos, not just technically, but compositionally. Fucking genius.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:43 pm 

I'd be legitimately hard-pressed to think of a metal band more immediately classically influenced than Aquilus, who are just astonishingly beautiful, especially for a one-man band. If any of you are familiar with Melancolia, imagine them but with a more professional execution.

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:12 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
I'd be legitimately hard-pressed to think of a metal band more immediately classically influenced than Aquilus, who are just astonishingly beautiful, especially for a one-man band. If any of you are familiar with Melancolia, imagine them but with a more professional execution.

That was pretty enjoyable for me, thanks!

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:20 pm 

AmonAmath wrote:

I did find that more enjoyable than other SoP songs i've heard. Still, a little too much for me in parts. I'm not a fan of too many death metal bands to be fair. It's not the voice, i like bands with harsh voices, it just doesn't have the same groove as some thrash or prog metal. Maybe my ears still aren't ready for it. Def an acquired taste.

AmonAmath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:16 am 

Baroque1 wrote:
I did find that more enjoyable than other SoP songs i've heard. Still, a little too much for me in parts. I'm not a fan of too many death metal bands to be fair. It's not the voice, i like bands with harsh voices, it just doesn't have the same groove as some thrash or prog metal. Maybe my ears still aren't ready for it. Def an acquired taste.

OH! On the off chance you still trust my judgement, maybe try Xerath. They aren't so much classically influenced as they just use classical instruments in their music pretty frequently. Progressive groove metal. They do chug a bit, but don't sound as thick as Meshuggah and generally sticking to a pattern. Harsh vocals. They've got some insane groove. Now that I think about it, they remind me of a cross between Symphony X and Meshuggah. Anyways, hope you enjoy this. If not, don't listen to anything other suggestions I have. Ever.

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:38 pm 

AmonAmath wrote:
Baroque1 wrote:

OH! On the off chance you still trust my judgement, maybe try Xerath. They aren't so much classically influenced as they just use classical instruments in their music pretty frequently. Progressive groove metal. They do chug a bit, but don't sound as thick as Meshuggah and generally sticking to a pattern. Harsh vocals. They've got some insane groove. Now that I think about it, they remind me of a cross between Symphony X and Meshuggah. Anyways, hope you enjoy this. If not, don't listen to anything other suggestions I have. Ever.

Well I enjoyed that one a lot, so I'll definitely be listening to other suggestions from you. Haha. Don't get me wrong, the SoP song was a good suggestion, since I like classical influenced and technical. I like the first half of it or so, it was just, harsher than I'm used to. I need to grow into it. I like the Xerath song! I'll be checking out more of their stuff and probably buying that one. Thanks.

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:42 pm 

XcKyle93 wrote:
"Something Wild" and "Hatebreeder" by Children of Bodom can be considered neo-classical metal albums, along with any other tags you want to put on 'em. Follow the Reaper also has a few songs in a similar vein, such as "Kissing the Shadows."

Very early In Flames, i.e. the albums "Lunar Strain" and "Subterranean" have an undeniable classical influence in the lead guitar. Hell, most of Jesper's melodies sound pretty Baroque. Check out "Stand Ablaze" off of "Subterranean" to see what I mean.

This is probably not what you're looking for, but John Zwetsloot of early Dissection was very fond of the classical guitar. I don't think anything off of "The Somberlain" is what you're looking for, but perhaps try Cardinal Sin with their sole EP "Spiteful Intents."

I do hear the influences, and I'm surprised! I've only listened to somewhat more recent In Flames I guess, the album Colony, Cloud Connected, their new album etc. I wish they had more of this style mixed in on their recent tracks. Colony was a good album though.

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:44 pm 

Arcturus was interesting in parts, but, not really for me. Maybe a bit too simplistic on the classical parts for me. I'd check out more of their stuff though. I like the first one more of the two.

Reply to topic