2) Fear of the Dark 43%  43%  [ 46 ]
3) The X Factor 34%  34%  [ 37 ]
4) Virtual XI 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 108
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Deaderthebetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:37 pm 

The Ed Hunter Tour doesn't count, otherwise I'd be tempted by Bruce's rendition of "Sign of the Cross" and especially "Man On The Edge" on top of everything else.

For me it's no question, Fear Of The Dark, which I think has gotten better with age.

Last edited by Metantoine on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poll added.

Wedge_Antilles
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:38 pm 

The X Factor for me.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:46 pm 

No Prayer for the Dying, no question. Not their most inspired but even the cheesy songs are fun, and the title track through Fates Warning comprise three great high melody and full-energy rockers as great as their earlier counterparts. Even though I don't understand the hate it gets, I have to admit that there must be something to it when my mom singled it out as a weak album on a long Maiden-marathon-fueled roadtrip. It does lack the "classic" that most of the 80's albums and Fear of the Dark produced admittedly, but that's not really a factor for me.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:47 pm 

"The X Factor". For me not only the best Maiden of the 90s, but the BEST Maiden. Period.

Deaderthebetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:52 pm 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
No Prayer for the Dying, no question. Not their most inspired but even the cheesy songs are fun, and the title track through Fates Warning comprise three great high melody and full-energy rockers as great as their earlier counterparts. Even though I don't understand the hate it gets, I have to admit that there must be something to it when my mom singled it out as a weak album on a long Maiden-marathon-fueled roadtrip. It does lack the "classic" that most of the 80's albums and Fear of the Dark produced admittedly, but that's not really a factor for me.

Yeah I didn't get the hate for No Prayer either, I always like Bring Your Daughter...To The Slaughter, the fact that it didn't get airtime on MTV in the US is bullshit.

Wedge_Antilles
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:58 pm 

Peroy wrote:
"The X Factor". For me not only the best Maiden of the 90s, but the BEST Maiden. Period.

I know quite a lot of people rag on Blaze, but I dig his vocals. I think they go well with the darker themes and overall atmosphere of the album, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:07 pm 

Wedge_Antilles wrote:
Peroy wrote:

I know quite a lot of people rag on Blaze, but I dig his vocals. I think they go well with the darker themes and overall atmosphere of the album, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Yep. I'll admit that Blaze may be an "inferior" singer in a sense compared to Bruce Dickinson, however I got no problems with him on that record whatsoever. Also those songs just hit me the hardest and stayed with me for over ten years.

I'll accept that "The X Factor" is a divisive record and not for everyone, but I'm happy it seems to be not hated as much anymore as it was a couple of years ago. So it's nice that it's today generally not regarded as a gigantic fuckup of "St. Anger" proportions... I heard people say some nice things about it.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:15 pm 

Peroy wrote:

Powerslave and Seventh Son come incredibly close, but I think I actually agree with you on this. I first heard this album when things started getting darker in my own life and it has certainly stuck around in the following years. It may have a few flaws and I understand why people don't like it, but it is a thoroughly powerful release.

Also, why isn't this a poll? :P

Deaderthebetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:23 pm 

Peroy wrote:

"St. Anger"

'cringe'

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:26 pm 

Alright then :roll:

Saying The X Factor (it is their best of the 90s for sure) is their overall best is total rubbish and shite, mates!

Let's not turn this into a St Anger thread, please.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Deaderthebetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:29 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

Saying The X Factor (it is their best of the 90s for sure) is their overall best is total rubbish and shite, mates!

How would I go about posting a poll like the poster before you asked? Maybe I don't have enough posts or something, I don't know. I wanted to start one.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:32 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

No, I just used that as a point of reference. It shall not be mentioned again. :P

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:40 pm 

I was tempted to vote for Virtual XI just to make sure it doesn't get completely forgotten, but my heart told me to go for Fear of the Dark. I've had more personal listening experiences with it.

Still, Virtual XI was fantastic. So many chant-along moments!
WHAT IS REAL?! FUTUREAL!
NOOOOO, NO WE CAN'T LET THEM TAKE ANYMORE!!
DON'T YOU THINK I'M A SAVIOR? DON'T YOU THINK I COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE?

etc.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:41 pm 

Fear of the Dark. As good as Man on the Edge and Lord of the Flies are, they are nothing compared to the greatness of Be Quick or Be Dead, Judas Be My Guide, and Fear of the Dark.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:45 pm 

Fear of the Dark has my vote. First Maiden song I heard was off this album (the title song.) I feel in love with it and the album. Best 90s album from the by far. Plus, its got so many other classics on it (BQOBD, ATSS, FHTE). No Prayer for the Dying comes a close second though.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:46 pm 

ralfikk123 wrote:
Fear of the Dark has my vote. First Maiden song I heard was off this album (the title song.) I feel in love with it and the album. Best 90s album from the by far. Plus, its got so many other classics on it (BQOBD, ATSS, FHTE). No Prayer for the Dying comes a close second though.

My favorite song on FOTD is "Childhood's End"... that one often seems to get lost in the shuffle, so I want to give it a shoutout.

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:47 pm 

No Prayer all the way. It's Maiden getting down and dirty and I love the album. Has memorable tracks too.

Every other album was just boring for me.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:49 pm 

I actually think that the studio version of Fear of the Dark is pretty utter shite compared to virtually all the live versions. It's crazy how Maiden pulls off sounding significantly better live than in the studio with some songs.

@VampireofTheNazareth How did you love No Prayer and not FOTD? They're twins!
I too love No Prayer but the chorus of Tailgunner reached Invaders level of shitiness.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:51 pm 

Okay, I don't want to derail the thread, but how is Invaders shit? Why do I keep on hearing this. It's a killer song with an awesome bass line and all around hyper fun.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:51 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:

I strongly disagree, for I also vastly prefer NPFTD to FOTD, for that record has significantly less filler and almost every song is irresistably catchy.

savagevelocithrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:53 pm 

90's Maiden albums are really bad, but if i have to pick one, i choose "The X Factor", since i like Blaze Bayley voice a lot, and "Man On The Edge" is one of my all time favorite Maiden's songs. "Fear Of The Dark" will be second, but only for "Be Quick Or Be Dead" and the title track, and maybe, if a im with the right mood, "From Here To Eternity". The rest sucks pretty hard.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:58 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Fear of the Dark. As good as Man on the Edge and Lord of the Flies are, they are nothing compared to the greatness of Be Quick or Be Dead, Judas Be My Guide, and Fear of the Dark.

My thougths exactly, there were a few great songs on the Bayley-fronted albums, but those three FotD songs alone make it the most valuable out of the four 90s albums (extended to 4 or 5 depending on who you ask, though frankly I feel BQoBD stands proud above them all anyway). The other three may be more consistent and perhaps more solid as "albums as a whole" (although in NPftD's case, it's a consistently B-grade rock 'n' roll-ish affair), but there's no question Fear of the Dark is the one to get out of those four if you can only have one. Even if a solid half of it is made of manure.

Edit: To clarify, I voted for 'Fear of the Dark' (sorry, Antoine :D ).

Deaderthebetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:05 pm 

Thanks to admin for adding Poll.

Virtual XI with 0 votes so far as could have been predicted.

Deaderthebetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:15 pm 

Vote for Virtual XI now

FOTD shoutout: Childhood's End -Amazing guitar solo, solid song

NPFTD shoutout: No Prayer For The Dying - Shades of Fear Of The Dark (the song) two years early.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:19 pm 

They're all pretty lame, but X Factor is easily the best of them, even if it's still one of the weaker albums overall...if it was half as long, maybe I'd consider it better perhaps.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:17 am 

The X Factor. Fear of the Dark would be second.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:23 am 

I do quite enjoy the Blaze albums, but it's too hard to go past Fear of the Dark. Not only for THAT title track, but for the ripping opener of "Be Quick or Be Dead" and the rather emotive tear-jerker "Childhood's End" among others.

I feel like I'm overdue for hearing all these albums again, however.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:40 am 

The X Factor. I like the bleaker atmosphere and songs in general.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:12 am 

Is there a none of the above option?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:39 am 

Poisonfume wrote:
I too love No Prayer but the chorus of Tailgunner reached Invaders level of shitiness.

Haha no they are not. They are very different.
However, all albums from Piece Of Mind until Seventh Son followed a similar or at least familiar pattern. No Prayer For The Dying is actually not far from those... But Fear Of The Dark is a whopper of a filler album. Easily the worst.

Of those in the poll, I would say No Prayer is best. I like the Blaze albums, but they are very poorly produced (No Prayer too, but I like the Fear Of The Dark production, especially the snare! very untypical McBrain snare). Fear Of The Dark has some moments, but mostly bad fillers.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:36 am 

The X Factor!

I really hate FotD! I actually prefer NPFTD over it and yet it is incredibly inconsistent. Virtual XI has a few strong moments as well but the 1990's were generally weak for Maiden.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:57 am 

Voted for The X Factor as well. The bassline on "Blood on the World's Hands" is enough to drag it to the top.

Peroy wrote:

o_O
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:24 am 

Fear of the Dark, for me. It feels really solid and complete, with some of my favourite leads and melodies - Afraid to Shoot Strangers, for instance. I enjoy most of the songs as much as I enjoy the earlier 'Maiden albums - I probably listen to it more than Seventh Son, and a hell of a lot more than No Prayer For the Dying, although I've listened to the latter so little that I feel I aught to give it a whirl now.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:26 am 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
However, all albums from Piece Of Mind until Seventh Son followed a similar or at least familiar pattern. No Prayer For The Dying is actually not far from those... But Fear Of The Dark is a whopper of a filler album. Easily the worst.

Of those in the poll, I would say No Prayer is best. I like the Blaze albums, but they are very poorly produced (No Prayer too, but I like the Fear Of The Dark production, especially the snare! very untypical McBrain snare). Fear Of The Dark has some moments, but mostly bad fillers.

By 'fillers' you mean 'songs I didn't like'. Say it how it is, Rocka_Rollas! :P

BlackFlag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:31 am 

It's a hard choice, but I'll go with X Factor. IMO, it is the most consistent of the four. Second would be No Prayer, although Hooks in You is probably the worst Iron Maiden (serious) song ever, followed by From here to Eternity.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:34 am 

Poisonfume wrote:
Rocka_Rollas wrote:

By 'fillers' you mean 'songs I didn't like'. Say it how it is, Rocka_Rollas! :P

Hmmm, you're right... It actually has bad songs.
Fillers aren't neccesarely bad, but I would say they are fillers because there are so many songs on that album, that they could easily cut out a few of the songs and still have much better overall album.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:41 pm 

Fear of the dark, its the first album of Iron Maiden I heard and the only 90's maiden album I like too.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:23 pm 

I voted for Fear Of The Dark, "From Here To Eternity" is really underrated, i love that song.

Also, The X-Factor sucks. Highly overrated.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:24 pm 

I've only heard Fear Of The Dark and that album mostly sucks. Can't vote.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:31 pm 

No Prayer For The Dying has always been my fave Maiden album so it's an easy decision for me... so many of my fave maiden tracks are on this album, Run Silent, Run Deep, Fates Warning, Mother Russia, No Prayer, Public Enema... awesome album...

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next