Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:05 am 

Can someone concisely and accurately define all the fractious, sub-genre's of metal to this OSDMetaler? Back in the day, we had Thrash, Death, Black, Crossover and that was about it. Now it's like every band has it's own crazy sub-genre classification. Makes it hard to track what's what...

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:45 am 

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/ ... metal.html

This list probably has what you need. I haven't read it all but it seems pretty complete.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:53 am 

^ Saw "Australian War Metal", "Baroque Metal" and "Circus Metal", then I stopped reading. That list is hopefully satire, because it can't be that stupid...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:01 am 

Reading that list just gave me AIDS. :(

For the description of "Grindcore", some overzealous Asperger wrote:
Influenced by thrash metal, and also hardcore and punk, that takes its name from the "grinding" sound made by the atonal riffs 'grinding' into one another.

... lol, see, this is written proof the author was obviously pulling things out of their arse. Grindcore takes its name from Mick Harris's description of Swans' debut album, "Cop". :facepalm: The description he gave caught on, and became what's now known as grindcore. Good grief.

No, sadly, this sounds like less a satirical thing and more an amalgamation of poorly-conducted research and personal opinions. :rolleyes:

Quote:
"Australian War Metal"

Lol'd. Australia's a healthy history of black/thrash metal bands with war/military-themed lyrics, yeah, that's true. That isn't a genre though. Image

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:01 pm 

Quote:
Ice Metal
Incorporates sounds, imagery and themes related to ice zones, specifically Scandinavia. See Sonata Arctica.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:00 pm 

Hard Rock... is a subgenre of heavy metal?

Synth Metal? Party Metal? Nu Metal? What devilry is this?

last.fm

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:47 pm 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_subgenres

List here can at least give you a general sense of what's what, though some of the entries are ridiculous. Just look for the genres you're interested in.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:47 pm 

Sonata and Immortal do the same thing then!

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:06 pm 

Ukrainian Baggie Metal

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:30 pm 

"Power Metal

Features fantasy or science fiction themes. The most famous bands include Helloween, Blind Guardian and Hammerfall, all of them continental European, and Jag Panzer coming from the US. "

Good to know that there's really only one famous USPM band.

"Thrash Metal

Incorporated hardcore punk's speed with traditional metal. Slayer, Overkill and early Metallica and Megadeth. As is true for many of the terms in this list, the moniker "thrash metal" was not always embraced by its supposed representatives; early on, Metallica referred to themselves as "power metal" (conflicting with the above definition of this term). Conversely, many more or less obscure bands, like Kreator, came up with equally obscure classifications for themselves, such as hate metal. Such labels were often soon forgotten or reused for something else. It was not the big four, it was actually the big five, Megadeth, Slayer, Exodus, Pantera, and Metallica. "

In what world is Kreator an obscure band?? And Pantera as one of the "big five" :lol: o_O :durr:

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:43 pm 

Includes Pantera into the big 4 but doesn't include groove metal, says Black Sabbath is blues rock, considers hardcore to be a metal genre.....

Yep, this guy definitely knows what he's talking about.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:19 pm 

Maybe i should have read it, my eyes just went to "black metal" and then i posted the link, i mean wtf really.

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:36 pm 

Wow, that UG article was fucking dumb. But if you want a list of the stern genres:

* = Concrete sub-genre
+ = Fusion Sub-genre
- = sub-sub based off an ambiguous idea, usually described in it's name (ie Technical riffing or bombastic Viking Marches)

Main Metal Genre's

*Heavy Metal

*Speed Metal

*Doom Metal - Chunky, slow/mid-paced ominous riffing, focusing on minor melodies, generally with a melencholic or epic atmosphere. Most popularized by the first four Sabbath Albums (think the title song, Black Sabbath)

+Death/Doom and Dark Ambient = Funeral Doom Metal
+Drone = Drone/Doom Metal
+Gothic Rock = Gothic Metal

*Sludge Metal (Doom + Hardcore Punk aggression, simplicity and rawness)
+ Sludge + Post-Rock = Post-Metal

*Stoner Metal (Doom riffs + Psyche Rock lead playing, with fuzzy, stony atmospheres and Hard rock balls and attitude)

*Thrash Metal (Speed + Hardcore Punk)
+more Hardcore Punk = Crossover Thrash

*Groove Metal/Post-Thrash (Thrash + NY Hardcore. Pantera, more or less. Dumbed down, chunky riffing but with smashing thrash drumming)

*Power Metal (Speed metal with heightened melodic and epic sensibilities. utilizes soaring, clean vocals, with tons of duel leads and Beer-hall like choruses. Think Iron Maiden on crack)

*Death Metal
-Technical Death Metal
-Brutal Death Metal (Death Metal that focuses on extremely heavy, rhythmic assaults, with incredibly low, guttural growls)
+Metalcore = Deathcore and viceversa
+Heavy/NWOBHM = Melodic Death Metal

*Black Metal
-Viking Metal
+Post-Rock/Shoegaze = post-Black/Blackgaze
+Ambient = Ambient Black Metal

*Folk Metal (Black/Power/Melodic Death + Folk music melodies and rhythms. Generally there's an emphasis on catchy and beer-hall-like choruses of power metal with black metal's aggression, occasional vocal style and heathen imagery with melodic death metal's heaviness and production. Albeit, some bands may lean more towards one of those three genres. )

-Pagan/Celtic/Viking/Medieval/Oriental/Pirate Metal are often lumped into this category.

Genre's with unspecific Metal bases:

*Symphonic Metal (generally applied to Black, Power, Gothic/Power, Death and Folk Metal that use their respective riffs around grand, Midi symphonic orchestrations.)

+Industrial/Industrial Rock + Metal = Industrial Metal (Generally applied to Thrash, Groove, Black and Death. Uses robotic speed and drumming, distorted vocals, while also using tons of clipping and sampling.)

+Progressive Rock + Metal = Progressive Metal ( Death, Power, Heavy, Sludge, Black that uses all or some of the following features: odd time signatures, rarely repeat riffing/songs are extensive, connecting concepts, technical guitar playing, complex song structures, often using keyboards and soundscapes and generally pushes the boundaries of said genre. )

Associated, but generally not Metal genres:

*Grindcore (Powerviolence/Hardcore Punk + Death metal)

*Crust Punk (Powerviolence/D-Beat + Black/Thrash/Death metal)

*Metalcore (any combination of metal and hardcore, if the band leans towards metal it is metal, if it leans towards hardcore, it's hardcore. Trivium, LOG and DRI are metal while Atreyu, Converge and Everytime I Die are not)

*Alternative Metal (Alternative Rock + Groove/Post-Thrash/Industrial Metal)

*Nu Rock/Metal -originally known as Aggro-Rock- (Alternative/Funk Rock + Alternative Metal + Hip-Hop)

*Industrial Rock (mistaken as Metal, but an offshoot of Industrial music and alternative Rock)

*Hard Rock

*Proto-Metal (Psychedelic/Hard Rock)

Slight variations on Sub-genres that are ultimately not really full sub-genres.

*NWOBHM: A term used to describe Metal bands formed from Britain from 1978 to around 1986. Bands ranged from Traditonal, Speed, Black and Doom metal, so it can't really be described as a genre and more like an time and places specific aesthetic.

*Depressive/Suicidal Black Metal: generally just black metal based around depression and suicide. It's only real defining trait is a common use of a tortured howl-vocal style.

*Bestial/War Black Metal: I'm not 100%, but I seem to see it as a type of black Metal that fuses the rawness of black metal with thrash's drumming and death metal's brutality.

*Epic Doom Metal/Epic Anything Metal: Tends to just mean some sort of Trad/Power metal influence in the vocals, lyrical content and mood.

*Euro Power Metal: Power metal that usually lies towards extremely melodic, crystal clear power metal like Stratovarius, Gamma Ray and Sonata Artica .

*US Power Metal: Mostly means Power metal with a dash of thrash edge and aggression, mostly like American bands Metal Church, Iced Earth and Jag Panzer

*Dark Metal: I personally have my own definition of the genre, but it has been used to describe a multi-tude of metal styles (and what would one expect with such a synonymous term with metal). My general understanding of it is a mixture of doom and black metal, with some sort of added ambient/atmospheric element. Recently, I and others have used the term to describe bands that mix Black/Doom with neo-folk music, such as Agalloch, October Falls and Flight of Sleipnir, but it's still quite ambiguous.

*Djent: is a type of Technical/progressive Metal or Metalcore that focuses on heavily digitallized and distorted guitar tones from processed power chords, with elastic, start-stop syncopated guitar riffs often interwoven with polyrhythms.

*Glam Metal: More or less just Heavy Metal (Motley Crue, Dokken, Twisted Sister), but more commonly just Hard Rock (Posion, Cinderella, Faster Pussycat), that emphasizes on pop hooks.

*Death N Roll/Black N Roll: Death or Black metal that adds hard rock inspired sounds, aesthetic and riffs. I don't know, maybe these deserve their own spots as genres. Then again, on listening to most of it, maybe rather not...

*White Metal/Christian Metal: Just pro-Jesus Metal. Not really different at all except lyrical content. "Hank Hill (in this case to Stryper): "Can't you see you're not making Christianity any better, you're just making Heavy Metal worse."

*Slam Death Metal: A type of Brutal Death metal that focuses on "slammy", slower, smashing palm-muted riff breaks.

Edit: added a fuckton of stuff on

Last edited by absurder21 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 8 times in total.
~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:22 pm 

You don't really need a flow chart, just some contextual understanding. As a metalhead, it should be easy for you to catch on with a little listening. What people call "brutal" death metal can be recognized as being different from death metal that isn't called brutal in a way that can be understandably associated with the description of brutality and so on. A few things like sludge aren't immediately intuitive from the name alone but aren't complicated. You can get all the theoretical knowledge from skimming a couple wikipedia articles but as a metalhead, even that isn't necessary. If you see a strange term just check out an example.

A lot of people like to use fractional or fictional descriptions for a single band or small cadre of groups sometimes, often their own bands. They aren't really saying that these obscure and esoteric combinations are equivalent to the main genres of metal, it's just something people like to do for fun and to stand out in the wide world of metal social marketing.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:10 am 

absurder21 hit the nail on the head, although I wouldn't say grindcore is exclusively derived from powerviolence/hardcore punk. Powerviolence is, in itself, a derivation of hardcore punk... it might be more accurate to describe grindcore as an offshoot of powerviolence/crust punk. Though there's no cold, black-and-white definition of grindcore, as the basis can vary from punk, to noise rock, to (obviously) death metal. Think of it as taking the tempo and brashness of already abrasive genres of music and blasting them in fast-forward. ;)

But yes, grindcore's roots stem from the hardcore punk scene, so many grind bands (rooted in punk riffs or not) still carry that trace of DIY/street ethos.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:40 am 

Iron1 wrote:
Can someone concisely and accurately define all the fractious, sub-genre's of metal to this OSDMetaler? Back in the day, we had Thrash, Death, Black, Crossover and that was about it. Now it's like every band has it's own crazy sub-genre classification. Makes it hard to track what's what...

I don't imagine you have any physical copies of Ironchrist's demos lying around do you? (Sorry to derail the thread).

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:28 am 

Celtic Frosted Flakes wrote:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/subgenres_of_metal.html

This list probably has what you need. I haven't read it all but it seems pretty complete.

'Ice Metal', 'Party Metal' !!?! Dafuq! :boo:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:11 am 

I remember once being told a story that grindcore took its name from grindhouse horror movies - rough, abrasive and cheaply done. It's almost certainly false, but I find it quite charming as fabricated stories go.

qTp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:19 pm 

Iron1 wrote:

http://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Metal/
on the right you can select the various sub-genres and read the descriptions

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:29 pm 

This is the greatest of the list:

True Metal

The rest is just false metal!

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:49 pm 

That's one of the tamer ones in that list. And besides, it's not a complete ass-pull unlike ice metal or circus metal.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:56 pm 

Yeah, "Ice Metal" definitely had me scratching my head. But then again, so did "Oriental Metal."

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:59 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Yeah, "Ice Metal" definitely had me scratching my head. But then again, so did "Oriental Metal."

'Oriental Metal' is a quite familiar term by now as it is associated with bands like Orphaned Land, Amaseffer and Myrath frequently.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:28 pm 

The oddest thing, as far as I can tell, is that hundreds of people have read the list, and nobody has left the comment equivalent of spitting your mouthful of coffee all over the desk. In fact, someone has said "Good list, but hardcore and metalcore aren't metal"... sort of like telling off a serial killer because he's wearing unfashionable shoes, considering that the list has "ice metal" on it.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:21 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
The oddest thing, as far as I can tell, is that hundreds of people have read the list, and nobody has left the comment equivalent of spitting your mouthful of coffee all over the desk. In fact, someone has said "Good list, but hardcore and metalcore aren't metal"... sort of like telling off a serial killer because he's wearing unfashionable shoes, considering that the list has "ice metal" on it.

Fixed that.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:14 pm 

It's called pity.

Reply to topic