Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:26 pm 

Is it just me, or is Drogon significantly bigger now? I mean, how much time has exactly passed since the events depicted on the last season?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:39 pm 

That longest trailer was more compelling. Bech .. "Daario". They cast a scrawny one who lacks a colored beard!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:02 pm 

I was about to post trailer #2 till I saw Morrigan having posted it already. The long-er trailer was quite cool. I cannot contain my excitement.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:25 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
That longest trailer was more compelling. Bech .. "Daario". They cast a scrawny one who lacks a colored beard!

Did you complain about Illyrio not having a forked yellow beard too? :rolleyes:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:13 am 

Looking forward to seeing a few cut plotlines from last season. In particular, the Reeds, Vargo Hoat and Qyburn, and Ramsay, all of which have been rumored or confirmed by now. As disappointed as I was last season with a number of changes and oversimplified points of importance (in particular: the entire Harrenhal and Winterfell plots and the handling of Halfhand).

I'm in the minority of folks who didn't mind the Qarth changes. I'm the type to view film adaptations as separate entities from their source material, so while the Qarth plot was entirely withdrawn from the events of the book, I actually enjoyed it (minus the HORRIBLE HORRIBLE handling of the House of the Undying). As out of character as some of the events were, they worked for me in the context of the film adaptation. I think it's safe to say we'll be seeing "Whitebeard" this season, but what about Strong Belwas? Not sure if he'll be cut or not.

The trailer looks impressive so I think there is hope for redemption here. Regardless of unnecessary changes, this is still one of the best shows on television right now. I think many changes have been well executed and there is a lot the show does right even when it gets the books wrong

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:16 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Did you complain about Illyrio not having a forked yellow beard too? :rolleyes:

I eyeroll at a lot about this series. Weren't you saying he wasn't much like in the book? ;)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:21 am 

I complain about a lot of things that aren't like in the books. A character's appearance that might work on paper but that would look supremely goofy on TV being changed for something more believable-looking isn't one of them...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:30 am 

Pretty stoked for this. Everyone I know that read the books says the third season is crazy compared to the first two.
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:00 am 

Morrigan wrote:
I complain about a lot of things that aren't like in the books. A character's appearance that might work on paper but that would look supremely goofy on TV being changed for something more believable-looking isn't one of them...

I also wasn't being entirely literal. At least Illyrio had a beard. I thought the casting and design there was decent. Daario should at least have one, forks or no. Basically I only rankle at the design choice because I really liked Daario. He brought her storyline out of the doldrums it went into after Drogo died .. was not feelin' it. But he was a good character, and I'm basically expecting to be underwhelmed by this dude.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:02 am 

Hah, fair enough. I think that other than Dany, you're the only one who likes Daario though... :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:04 am 

Huh .. that's odd. How come? Yeah, I thought he was pretty interesting. I wasn't into him at first, obviously. In the end I really liked how straight forward he was and how defensive of her he got. Who knows .. maybe it's all a sham, but he basically brought her back to life, and I liked how all those parts were written. I dunno .. maybe he's a shallow character, but I dug it. Martin didn't really handle her portions all that well, I felt, until that part of the story.

Last edited by Grave_Wyrm on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:46 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Is it just me, or is Drogon significantly bigger now? I mean, how much time has exactly passed since the events depicted on the last season?

They definitely look bigger, so he's presumably aged a little.

Anyone else bothered by the dragons? They are unfortunately one of the worst parts of this series for me. Nothing takes me out of the immersion of a cinematic experience more than poorly rendered CGI...I get that it's not on a blockbuster budget, but they look far too artificial and cartoonish as they are (especially in contrast to Daenerys).

Though to be fair, it's probably virtually impossible to render baby dragons that look even remotely realistic.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:35 am 

@Poisonfume; considering that dragons are mythical creatures, it's safe to say that there's a limit to how realistically they can be depicted. Personally, I don't mind the CGI, as it's well done and not prominent enough to bother me.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:43 pm 

In the books they grow fairly fast once they start getting fed properly and being able to hunt, if I remember correctly, so the size is in the ballpark. But I know what you mean. It would be nice if they weren't so OBVIOUSLY cg. I guess there are other dragon movies that have done better, but those had larger cg budgets, I'm to assume. So there's a bit of a hard limit there as to how good they're going to be. Not to say that it's not distracting. I feel the same way.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:25 pm 

Messiah_X wrote:
Looking forward to seeing a few cut plotlines from last season. In particular Vargo Hoat

No "Thappireth", he's been replaced by some new character named "Locke".

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:03 pm 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
Messiah_X wrote:
Looking forward to seeing a few cut plotlines from last season. In particular Vargo Hoat

No "Thappireth", he's been replaced by some new character named "Locke".

I was aware of them doing away with the lisp (a move that makes sense, even if I wanted to hear the thaphireth line), but why change his name? Locke? Will he die and come back to life to trick Ben into killing Jacob?

Seriously, I know Vargo isn't hugely important in the great scheme of things, and this season he wouldn't have a whole lot left to do besides
Spoiler: show
cut off Jaime's hand and then die a bit later

I'm sure they'll use this Locke character for Vargo's functions and to introduce Qyburn, but it would have been nice to include the Brave Companions, especially Shagwell who I always liked. Reminds me of The Joker, only in a more medieval fantasy fashion. Again though, did they need to change Vargo's name? Couldn't he still be Vargo without the lisp?

Maybe there was another character who's name sounds too much like Vargo and we viewers are too stupid to tell them apart, like we were with Osha and Asha.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:52 pm 

I don't know the reasoning behind it, all I can think of is that they're doing this Locke the same thing as Ros. Multiple lesser character storylines glued into one, could work or not. So far I've been massily irritated by Ros.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:23 pm 

I hope this doesn't derail the thread. I just finished the first book yesterday. I was gonna pick up the second book from my school's library but someone has borrowed it out (Borrowed out The Hobbit instead.) The book is much better than the TV show. I've decided to not watch the third season until I read the book. I regret not reading the books before the show, but can't go back now.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:46 pm 

Nothing wrong with that man, many people discovered this amazing series through the TV show. I agree the books are better, but that is always the case. To be fair, Season 1 did just about as good a job as could ever be done in a book-to-film adaptation, my only annoyance being the way they cut out the dream sequences, several of which were very relevant. Season 2 on the other hand got a bit off track, and in that case the book was VASTLY better.

in_human_form
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:57 pm 

I'm rewatching Season 2 after reading all of the books and my opinion of the show has dropped. It's still quite good, but many aspects of the books were simplified or simply eliminated for the sake of TV, clarity, and so on. Asha's name change to "Yara" caught me by surprise and I almost laughed when Theon first said her name. The show does certain things better than the books, however. These include the conversations between Varys and Littlefinger and other interactions between characters that did not get a POV in the books.

Regardless, I'm excited (if a little apprehensive) for the coming season!

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:04 am 

Since they've split the third book into two seasons I have no apprehensions about the quality, basically all my complaints about season two were purely formed by the writers having to rush through too much too fast, leaving the whole thing messy, hopefully it'll be able to settle back into that comfortable but still exciting tempo the first season had now.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:22 am 

in_human_form wrote:
I'm rewatching Season 2 after reading all of the books and my opinion of the show has dropped. It's still quite good, but many aspects of the books were simplified or simply eliminated for the sake of TV, clarity, and so on. Asha's name change to "Yara" caught me by surprise and I almost laughed when Theon first said her name. The show does certain things better than the books, however. These include the conversations between Varys and Littlefinger and other interactions between characters that did not get a POV in the books.

Regardless, I'm excited (if a little apprehensive) for the coming season!

This pretty much sums it up for me. There are a lot of things the show does right, and a lot it does wrong, but overall it is quite good. To elaborate, in my opinion there is A LOT of detail in the books, some of which is unfilmable, some of which would be stupid in live action, and some of which just can be simplified for budget reasons without dropping the quality much. I really like the way they show some "behind the scenes" POVs which couldn't be included in the book due to characters like Robb and Varys not having their own chapters. Some side characters have been pretty nicely fleshed out, and I especially like the handling of Varys and Littlefingers' political dances. I also thought Theon's character (NOT his entire plot) was handled better in the TV series. They made his betrayal a realistic inner conflict between blood and friendship instead of the way the book just had him turn on the Starks without hesitation (but still portray him as a sympathetic character later on).

On the other hand, they've had some pretty bad fuckups along the way, especially with some parts being changed too much or oversimplified, unnecessary name changes, and Ros.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:38 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe. That 1995 spoof is pretty funny. It has one glaring flaw, though: no sex at all. The text is the steamiest thing there. :nono:

Well, back in the 90s you couldn't even get away with saying "fuck" on standard cable.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:21 pm 

But it's supposed to be an HBO show, not standard cable... :scratch: I'm not talking full frontal here, just anything implying or depicting general steaminess. Even the intro to Xena had more "unng, female passion" shots than this.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:34 pm 

I guess that's part of the joke?

in_human_form
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:58 pm 

Game of Thrones: wholesome family fun! All your relatives--from your weird eunuch uncle to the dwarfish devil monkey under your bed--will have a jolly good time!

Last edited by in_human_form on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:05 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
But it's supposed to be an HBO show, not standard cable... :scratch: I'm not talking full frontal here, just anything implying or depicting general steaminess. Even the intro to Xena had more "unng, female passion" shots than this.

It should've just been all nude/ sex scenes, only with Cinemax instead of HBO. :-P

Third season will hopefully rule just as much as the first two seasons. Second season was MUCH better after watching a couple times, for sure. The "Blackwater" episode especially was such a visual treat on screen again. And for those who got the DVD/Bluray, listening to George R.R. Martin's commentary during that episode was so damn cool.
Especially when he describes both the book and TV shows "battles" similarities and production difficulties (like not including The Chain due to budget, or most of the warriors not being on horseback, no ships crashing, day to night fighting, etc). Really awesome stuff.
Very cool that he wrote the script for that episode too.

Also, I just started A Storm of Swords a week ago. I hope shit gets real, really soon. :)

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:17 pm 

in_human_form wrote:
dwarfish devil money under your bed

haha! Now there's an early 90s movie for ya! A Gremlins for anti-capitalists.

Wedge_Antilles
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:14 pm 

Can't wait. I've recently fallen in love with this show. I've also just picked up a copy of the first two books, and just started reading A Game of Thrones last night. I definitely like it so far.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:53 pm 

Season 3 premiere tomorrow, post your cosplay here

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:14 pm 

Well, I'm not nerd raging yet. Some big changes were made (Robb at Harrenhal, the whole Whitebeard thing) but I'm going to reserve judgment until I see how it plays out. I'm actually not disappointed at all in the way they brought Whitebeard/Barristan in. It would have been impossible to keep the same actor for most of the season, give him a beard, and try to portray him as a character with a hidden identity. I'm also not displeased with Qyburn's introduction, subtle as it was it fits the subtlety of that character. I'm looking forward to seeing how that all plays out. Not quite sure what to think of Mance Rayder yet. I was all for the choice of actor, and I like his plain-ness (just like the book, Jon thought Tormund was the king), but the dialogue about the new cloak fell flat (totally left out that mysterious evasive dialogue about how Mance left the Night's Watch because he wanted a new cloak). Mance is charismatic, he just isn't as CHARMING as his literary counterpart. Kind of makes me wonder how they're going to handle
his "undercover bard" plot much later in the series

nasum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:48 am 

Just watched it.

Well, they changed quite a number of details, and a bit bigger detail about Barristan Selmy/Whitebeard. While I agree with above post, I also have to ask this question for people who have read books

So, Jorah recognizes Barristan and is positive about it. But why is he positive about it? Shouldn't he be shocked and panicked about meeting him so far away in Astapor? Barristan knows Jorah is a spy, or can conclude in 5 seconds he's a spy who's been informing Robert about Dany. Jorah should presume Barristan knows, or be suspicious about it since he's Kingsguard and is probably informed about it, which turns to be true in books. So, given this, how does Jorah manages to fuck up so Dany kicks him out? Logically he'd just wait for an opportunity to cut his throat or try to tell Dany about him being spy so she forgives him before Barristan tellls her about him once he is sure she's fit to be a queen? And also, this probably means they won't have to do redeeming for her during siege of Mereen (or was it Yunkai?), so they'll probably make her kick out Jorah once Barristan tells her about him being double agent.

Well fuck, I managed to solve how they're gonna make it in series while I was typing all of that above, now making it unnecessary :crash:

It's probably his idea of metal. That Black Sabbath and Trouble stuff doesn't have enough gangsta giving the finger.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:12 pm 

nasum wrote:
Just watched it.

Well, they changed quite a number of details, and a bit bigger detail about Barristan Selmy/Whitebeard. While I agree with above post, I also have to ask this question for people who have read books

So, Jorah recognizes Barristan and is positive about it. But why is he positive about it? Shouldn't he be shocked and panicked about meeting him so far away in Astapor? Barristan knows Jorah is a spy, or can conclude in 5 seconds he's a spy who's been informing Robert about Dany. Jorah should presume Barristan knows, or be suspicious about it since he's Kingsguard and is probably informed about it, which turns to be true in books. So, given this, how does Jorah manages to fuck up so Dany kicks him out? Logically he'd just wait for an opportunity to cut his throat or try to tell Dany about him being spy so she forgives him before Barristan tellls her about him once he is sure she's fit to be a queen? And also, this probably means they won't have to do redeeming for her during siege of Mereen (or was it Yunkai?), so they'll probably make her kick out Jorah once Barristan tells her about him being double agent.

Well fuck, I managed to solve how they're gonna make it in series while I was typing all of that above, now making it unnecessary :crash:

I assume they will make changes which don't stray too far from the big picture. Keep in mind that in the books there was a lot of tension between Jorah and Whitebeard even before his identity was revealed. Also keep in mind that Barristan knew Jorah from the first moment he met them in Qarth. He chose to reserve judgment for quite a while before the big reveal, but he knew who and what Jorah was from the start. The only big difference at this point is that they both recognize each other from the start. I'm guessing they will use this new dynamic to build tension between Jorah and Barristan which will eventually come to a head when Barristan spills the beans about Jorah the spy. This dynamic was present in the books (Barristan with the honorable approach, Jorah with his "ends justify the means" approach) and can be explored from a slightly different angle with the two of them recognizing each other from the start. However, like I said, the main reason for this change is the fact that they could not viably use the same actor and hide his identity behind a big beard. I suppose they could have had him in a cloak the whole time, or wearing a mask, or whatever, but that would have been stupid. I don't mind this change.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:08 pm 

What'd you guys tink of the Giant?

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:17 pm 

I thought the giant was pretty well done. Pretty accurate to their description in the books (Not too tall, giants in ASOIAF are described as 10 to 12 feet tall, and they got the squashed facial features and ragged furry look down pretty well). Pretty cool that they included them, I was expecting they would hold off on them until later, or possibly just use them as additional CGI models during a battle scene.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:39 pm 

The giant was great.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:01 pm 

Yeah, the episode was pretty great. They did the right thing with Selmy, not everything is adaptable or should be.

Haha! http://slacktory.com/2013/03/game-of-fu ... f-thrones/

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:50 pm 

As with last season I thought it was pretty poor. Not sure why I persevere as its really not for me, might just wait for the next book.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:16 pm 

Can't they just up and murder that kid already? I swear, he's infuriating.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:26 pm 

So far, so acceptable. We'll see how it goes, but I'm optimistic that they'll handle things well. I did like the giant, though I'd imagined them much more animal-like.

Also, why isn't Astapor all full of ziggurats and pyramids? They're starting to make all the various foreign cities look more-or-less the same, sort of a generic Near Eastern look.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next