Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thergodrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:35 pm 

Okay, I'd like to know how can anyone emulate that absolutely sick guitar tone through guitar, since I'm looking forward to record a demo by my Hellhammer/old Samael devoted doom metal band and that tone has always been a reference to me...

I guess turning down to minimum the bass and mids and putting the treble knob at maximum is a good beginning, but any further info would be highly appreciated. Other amp settings, recording software, amp emulators or effects (I know Warrior used that classic Ibanez Tube Screamer but a friend of mine who had purchased it years ago once told me that it isn't that helpful to achieve THE sound...), and hints would be as well.

My gear: Epiphone SG, Zoom 505 II pedal, Line 6 POD XT Live, VOX wah.

And sorry for the grammar.

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:33 am 

A key thing Tom did/does is to roll the tone knob almost all the way off on the guitar. This certainly helps to get close.

I found when I was going for the CF tone to definitely keep the mids and bass, not roll them off.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:08 am 

mike40k wrote:
A key thing Tom did/does is to roll the tone knob almost all the way off on the guitar. This certainly helps to get close.

I found when I was going for the CF tone to definitely keep the mids and bass, not roll them off.

True. There is no such thing as rolling anything off to get a good sound.

jedimasterhassan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:19 pm 

it might be difficult to emulate that sound with all digital gear, tom's whole setup was an ibanez iceman (with celtic frost, with hellhammer he used an ibanez flying v, but really any decent humbucker guitar would do) use the neck pickup-this is very important, as far as i know he never rolled his tone knob all the way up, he used the neck pickup to get that really bassy tone. then through an ibanez iceman - everything cranked, and then that into a marshall jcm 800. the jcm 800 is the key to his basic tone, but the ibanez cranked really pushes it over the edge. i've also gotten a near identical tone through a fender amp as well, really any amp with a good heavy overdrive. with your gear i'd say the best thing to do is find a setting that sounds close to a marshall (or if theres a vintage brittish setting maybe) and just crank the gain, and use your neck pickup, that should get you fairly close

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:11 pm 

im pretty sure he also always has used an ibanez tubscreamer.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:26 pm 

somefella wrote:

Nonsense.

jedimasterhassan wrote:
it might be difficult to emulate that sound with all digital gear

No, it's perfectly feasible.

One of the biggest factors that goes into shaping his distinctive in-and-out-of-tune tone is the combination of scale length, string gauge and tuning that he uses. Also, feedback.

Thergodrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:40 pm 

I'm almost 100% that he used EADGBE tuning (please correct me if I'm wrong), but which other hints could you tell me about string gauge and scale length?
Lately our rehearsals are more hellhammered because of that tone knob totally rolled down and the combination of trebles and mids, but any other help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks dudes.

Illuminati322
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:51 pm 

I have a friend, a novice guitarist and retroactive Frost freak, whose been striving for a similar approximation of Warrior's tone. I'm glad I stumbled across tis thread as I can relay the information contained therein to him.

RabbitOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:58 pm 

somefella wrote:
mike40k wrote:

I disagree. Turning the tone knob to zero rolls off the high end, which I find quite useful for getting that Eyehategodesque sludgy sound.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:11 pm 

To the original poster:

Forget about the Zoom 505, you will never get anything close to that specific tone with it.
Here's the gear I use to obtain it:
- XOX electric guitar, body pick-up, tone knob turned down at 90%
- B-52 ST 6012 tube combo amp, with maximum modern distortion.

I would say that any Gibson Les Paul copy with a modern distortion tube amp could work just as fine if you turn down the tone knob.

With your current gear, I would advise you to select a California-type amp mod (Mesa-Boogie emulation) on the Pod. Modern distortion, not vintage overdrive. No high gain either.

Reply to topic