Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:55 pm 

If anything, Varg's postings are very entertaining. I enjoy reading them.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:50 pm 

I can't stand his instrumental shit, so count me out. His last couple albums were kind of lackluster as well though. Seems like he was quick to exhaust his good ideas and wear out his welcome. A work ethic is always admirable, but this dude really needs to take a break.

Aftermath1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:05 am 

This could be great. We'll find out soon when the album leaks two/three months early like the last three...

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:25 am 

Asti78 wrote:
This guy should stop releasing shitty music once per year, especially under the band name. He should create a new project instead of throwing the name "Burzum" into the mud

I quite agree, but as far as I understand, he does so to "feed his family"... Aren't the royalties from his classical albums enough? I mean, they are regularly re-released and must be sold in quantities.

Besides, I didn't know that he lives (apparently) in France, that's a scoop.

Last edited by KFD on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:45 am 

He couldn't be doing any worse than Suckthrone

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:14 am 

^Yeah yeah, we get the fucking point. You don't like the new Darkthrone album. Good on you for having attained such heights of insight and wisdom. :|

It troubles me a bit that people are comparing Ulver with 'electronic' Burzum. The 'electronic' Burzum albums are barely electronic, far less ambient. They are mainly noodling around on cheap keyboards, using them to simulate real/acoustic instruments. Ulver is quite different; the only reason I see for people on a metal forum comparing the two is a lack of further points of comparison. It would be like comparing Bob Dylans vocal style to Diamanda Galas, simply because they both sing. Its pointless.

Veracs wrote:
A guy dicking around on his laptop can sound better than all Ulver, awful shite.

Evidently you are unaware that 90% of electronic music is created by dicking around on laptops.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:25 am 

raumr wrote:
Why should he change the band name? As long as he made music intended to be released under the Burzum name, why would he change bloody name? I never got this logic. I've seen the same opinions being made about Theatre of Tragedy, Ulver, Darkthrone,..., and every other popular band that does not make every album in the same style (which, of course, does not need to be bad).

I suppose there's a certain point at which continuing under the same name makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:40 am 

STORMM wrote:
I will also be interested in hearing this. His early ambient pcs such as Tomhet were quite excellent in the genre. The last few albums have done nothing for me and the so called ambient tracks on those were total shit so I hope he sticks to his words and keeps it based on this early works.

Sadly I dont expect a "new" Tomhet, though It would be great. After having listened one of the mentioned groups I dont know what to expect... :S

asphaalanx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:47 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Sounds fine, Tangerine Dream rocks.

Yes. Thank you.

I suppose Varg can do what he likes with the Burzum name, if it's at all like TD I'll be checking it out.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:20 pm 

No news regarding release date or anything, but this t-shirt popped up in the Plastic Head webstore bearing the album's name:

http://www.plastichead.com/cat_images/large/PH7854.jpg

Please let that be the cover art.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:21 pm 

Asti78 wrote:
This guy should stop releasing shitty music once per year, especially under the band name. He should create a new project instead of throwing the name "Burzum" into the mud

He does that simply by existing. This is fine.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:33 pm 

PurpleDoom wrote:
No news regarding release date or anything, but this t-shirt popped up in the Plastic Head webstore bearing the album's name:

http://www.plastichead.com/cat_images/large/PH7854.jpg

Please let that be the cover art.

Looks like Graveland meets The Somberlain... Cool!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:23 am 

The t-shirt art looks cool but what's up with the font?

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:51 am 

shouvince wrote:
The t-shirt art looks cool but what's up with the font?

It's the one used on his wife's (and him's) blog.

The cover art looks incredible btw.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:22 am 

looks like any other metal album cover

ASTONISHING, INCREDIBLE, CAN'T WAIT, I'M DUMB

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:20 am 

He might be batshit crazy, but he still makes excellent music, and I'm sure this will be great.

I also don't get all the Ulver hate. Sure, the last 3 or 4 albums haven't been perfect, and I really don't get the latest one, but Perdition City and Lycanthropen Themes were excellent and each of the consequent albums had at least a handful of great tracks even though they didn't work particularly well as whole albums.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:22 am 

It looks cool, but I wonder if it will go well with relaxing, electronic music. That cover work looks like it better represents charging heavy metal.

Chaosmonger wrote:

"I'm edgy, I'm sarcastic, I'm outside the brainwashed masses... Silly mortals, being easily impressed by artwork."

When did anyone ever claim that it did not look like any other metal cover? You're sarcastic strawman just underlines your silly kne-jerk reaction when someone are excited about something - you can't either shut up or comment the picture, instead you parody those that appreciate it... oh nevermind.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:52 am 

He is trying to hard to be different and cares too much about what other metal bands are doing. His last 2 albums were "Lullaby Metal" The last song on Fallen was good, but his clean vocals are just so lame. Burzum and Darkthrone are dead, I don't get why they are so offended that people liked their black metal music. They were not the first or the only black metal bands of their time who paved the way for other bands, but they should be proud/honored by what they helped black metal become instead of hating everyone so much. I will probably get shit for this, but that's just how I feel about it.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:53 am 

EpicSceptic wrote:
He might be batshit crazy, but he still makes excellent music, and I'm sure this will be great.

I also don't get all the Ulver hate. Sure, the last 3 or 4 albums haven't been perfect, and I really don't get the latest one, but Perdition City and Lycanthropen Themes were excellent and each of the consequent albums had at least a handful of great tracks even though they didn't work particularly well as whole albums.

Man, from time to time a band is targeted as 'cool to hate'. In metal is a cyclic thing.

Their only really mediocre album is Wars of the Roses IMO.

~Guest 22710
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:10 pm 

Cover looks a bit like a dark version of Maiden's death on the road

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/0/5/3/105366.jpg

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:23 pm 

We don't even know if that's the cover yet, do we? As of right now it's just some new t-shirt design.

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:33 am 

That Burzum t-shirt looks great. May have to buy one, and of course the new album. I will continue supporting Varg. Good man. Good music.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:39 pm 

raumr wrote:
It looks cool, but I wonder if it will go well with relaxing, electronic music. That cover work looks like it better represents charging heavy metal.

Chaosmonger wrote:

"I'm edgy, I'm sarcastic, I'm outside the brainwashed masses... Silly mortals, being easily impressed by artwork."

exactly

AsinineUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:15 pm 

No more Burzum albums.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:13 pm 

Oh he's going to put out Burzum until he dies. Even if the music slowly degenerates into the moaning from the pain of his terminal cancer by an elderly man while his cat walks across the Casio people will buy it up as "innovating" and "ambient." He makes a living from this shit.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:25 am 

I don't know, I could see him putting Burzum to rest and continuing under another name. In his interviews and blog posts, he comes across as tired with the name and its attachments. Not that if he started under another name they wouldn't carry over, but he'd have the motivation of a fresh start.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:47 am 

I'm on the fence on this. Belus and Fallen were okay. Belus actually was a great album, it had the atmosphere. Fallen had some two good songs and the rest was garbage. Umskiptar was an outright disappointment. Very boring album with few good moments. I guess I have to hear the new one first before I buy it.

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:01 pm 

The problem with Black Metal (as with most music) is that like Fenriz says, they all start off from the same starting position but eventually end up going in different directions. Its very hard to hear any original bands these days which stick to the same script and even harder for these bands to keep putting out given the state of music today.

Personally i've given up on the elitist attitude in listening to ONLY anything from '91 to '99 as I see myself in twenty years time still being stuck in the same mindset with no personal progression. I can emphasise for the bands who feel they have sold out simply because the style changed as music has, adaptation can either be a good or bad thing the worst example of this to use being Slipknot. Corey Taylor simply gave up being "angry" and replaced this with more structure through experience.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:16 pm 

Metallumz wrote:
The problem with Black Metal (as with most music) is that like Fenriz says, they all start off from the same starting position but eventually end up going in different directions. Its very hard to hear any original bands these days which stick to the same script and even harder for these bands to keep putting out given the state of music today.

Don't capitalise genre names. You see, Black Metal refers to the Venom album, whereas the genre is merely black metal.

What do you mean by the part I've bolded in your quote?

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:35 pm 

Its in my experience that establishing a fan-base has nothing to do with what label you're on but rather where, when, and who you tour with. For the most part there is the musician side of Black Metal and then there's promotion, production, and management. For the best part of his career Varg is fortunate enough to have been included within the 'circle' that enabled him to have almost-free press freedom and the step needed to climb into distributing his music, could we envision a character such as Varg being this popular many years down the line had he not been given such coverage in the press.

Likewise in todays media market the fame comes from such shows as X-Factor, The Voice, all that crap that doesn't focus on musicianship but rather a glamorised karaoke contest which is lapped up by the idiot public. Its thanks to this that Metal in general is having such a hard time making any advancements because simply the artists don't want to pay out their own pockets if a watered-down scheme can give them near-instantaneous coverage and fan-base.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:44 am 

It looks like it will be the album artwork. We know that Varg has changed his mind about titles, covers and tracklists, but I hope this one stays! Looks epic!

Source:
http://www.burzum.org/eng/discography/o ... stan.shtml

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:38 am 

Is that Papyrus? :ah-ha: :durr:

The cover art is nice, certainly.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:00 pm 

If that's the legit and final cover art it's pretty awesome.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:05 pm 

Woah, amazing artwork!

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:09 pm 

Yeah, that's some legit badassery right there. I really want to hear some samples of the music now...

Necessitarian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:42 pm 

The cover is much more 'metal' than what he has had on his post-prison metal albums.

That's about the extent of my insight.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:51 pm 

I really liked Belus but I was really dissapointed with Fallen and especially Umskiptar. This one has me excited again though. I love his electronic stuff on Hliðskjálf and the album cover looks fucking awesome.

Can't wait to hear it.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:01 pm 

I find myself extremely dissapointed of the fact that this album is being released in summer and not winter.

(?)

Gastjale
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:02 pm 

Pre-ordered the album, as I belong to the minority who actually likes Burzum's dungeon synth / ambient albums. Even if Umskiptar was a slight disappointment compared to the atrociously wonderful Fallen or rather strong Belus, it wasn't a bad album, by no means. Just a tad overlong and perhaps a bit too minimal, even for a Burzum album. Knowing Varg's compositions, minimalism will play a strong role in the upcoming album, but in his ambient works it doesn't bother me that much. Even if the album is different from the other non-metal albums of his, I'm pretty confident that it'll fulfill its purpose, although I'd like to question its "uniqueness" already at this point. Still, one can never be too sure.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:03 pm 

I heard the entire album is Christmas Carol cover songs, but since it has the name Burzum and a somewhat cool cover it will sell like hot cakes and be his best yet! :boo:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next