Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metaldude23
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:44 pm 

Hi, I wasn't sure to post this in the promotional or for the musicians topic. So, sorry if I posted it wrong. I would like it if you guys would listen to my song I made, there's another one coming soon near the end of the month. Lyrics are in Dutch, the band is called IJsrijk, which basically means something like Empire of Ice. So yeah, this is for the metalheads who enjoy DSBM and atmosphaeric black metal. I hope you like it!
Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfSx8nG1kU0

Goran
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:36 pm 

Nice, I dig the tune. Are you otherwise active in the local (Belgian) scene?

The (Dutch) band name is quite cheesy though. :-D

Metaldude23
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:00 pm 

I'm not really active, but the singer is. He's got other bands such as Gates of Argonath, Incest Analfest,... He also used to be in a band called Schrywoud. Besides IJsrijk, which i refuse to admit to be cheesy :D, I don't have another band. I am planning on making some Funeral doom metal though. Thanks for the feedback!

Goran
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:58 am 

I see. Good luck with your projects.

Metaldude23
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:46 am 

Thanks mate!

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:49 pm 

I'd give it a score somewhere in the (edit:) low 60s. It was reasonably well done, production was ok, but didn't seem atmospheric so much as sustained. It had good harmonies and the vocals did their job. But, it didn't sound depressing to me .. like, at all, honestly. It reminded me more of the sun on a not-terribly-cold day. I don't understand Dutch, so I have no idea what the content is, but while the atmosphere is decent, I didn't feel the sadness or really any sense of loss to speak of. So that just ends up being an incompatibility with the sub-genre's label, perhaps.

+ i should have probably given it a lower score because of its lack of any particularly discernible sadness, considering its label, but I tend to go really soft on new work. I doubt this is particularly helpful in the long run.

Metaldude23
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:10 pm 

No problem mate, thanks for the feedback! I'll take your advice in account!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:58 pm 

I wouldn't describe this as DSBM or atmospheric black metal, doesn't really fit into either of those subsets.

The production and sound is clean for black metal, the performances are reasonably tight. The guitars get buried a bit, especially under the cymbal at 3:00 (hi-hat?) - that one cuts through and the drums also cover up the guitar around 3:50. Everything in the song is performed well, there aren't any glaring flaws, but at the same time, it's good enough that the criticism is about the music as a whole. The guitar falls flat. The riffs get stagnant and lost, the tone isn't saturated and doesn't really give it a feel like black metal needs. I'm not quite sure what type of sound you're going for - describing it as DSBM/atmospheric seems odd since it doesn't sound like you even touched on DSBM and the guitar feel is completely lacking in atmosphere. I think a lot of this could be changed by working with mixing the ambient frequencies of the guitar sound in more, and trying to manipulate the tone to convey the feeling of the music better.

Metaldude23 wrote:
Hi, I wasn't sure to post this in the promotional or for the musicians topic.

Since you're interested in feedback, it's fine in the musicians forum. It's usually helpful to mention a bit about the process of making the music, and anything specific you're looking for feedback on. If you're just promoting finished stuff, then it's promotional.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:49 pm 

^ Right. That's the kind of thing I need to not be hesitant to say, because that was very much how I felt.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:47 am 

I like the song, but I agree with Zodi. The production and guitar tone don't quite fit the feel of DSBM- it's too straightforward, clean, direct. It doesn't have that hazy, enveloping atmosphere. Have a spin of some Abyssic Hate, maybe you are trying to do something entirely different but it strikes me the guitar sound they use would suit your music.

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:44 pm 

I would call this black metal/folk, without a doubt, although I can see how it aims to be atmospheric. I think people would appreciate its aesthetics more if you labelled it that.

Honestly, I really enjoyed everything in this, and although it wasn't incredibly poignant in the long run, I still really love all the song-writing and vocals here, and think the production is great.
I'd be interested to hear you do other stuff like this.

Reply to topic