Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:12 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Ah yeah glad someone mentioned Happy Days. How could I forget. Where's the Fonze?

For what it's worth, there's also a band called Days of Our Lives.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:02 am 

Thirsty Blood, from Indonesia? I think the idea was to call themselves Bloodthirst, but when you use Google translate "darah haus" and "haus darah" could easily get mixed round.

Not really their fault but the band picture certainly is.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Thirsty_Blood/81874

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:18 am 

Indonesia is notorious for producing nonsensical Engrish band names.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:46 am 

hey wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
Ah yeah glad someone mentioned Happy Days. How could I forget. Where's the Fonze?

I think both those names are great. Never heard the bands, they are probably bad. But I really like the ironic names.

sushiman wrote:
Thirsty Blood, from Indonesia? I think the idea was to call themselves Bloodthirst, but when you use Google translate "darah haus" and "haus darah" could easily get mixed round.

Not really their fault but the band picture certainly is.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Thirsty_Blood/81874

Why couldn't they just call themselves Darah Haus, sounds much cooler! I don't get why all bands need to have English lyrics and names. English is a pretty boring sounding language if you ask me. And if you are really bad in the using the language you really shouldn't use it. Just Look at a band like Shining, the Swedish lyrics are a million times better than the English ones.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:05 am 

hey wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

Great, this couod be a trend. We just need an Angsty nu Metal band called "Father Knows best" and we can have the trilogy of TV Show names.

I found a metalcore band called "Tomorrow comes Today". That is pretty bad. Big then again, by metalcore standards I guess it is 'passable'.

Indonesia and Malaysia both have bad names. I'm patiently awaiting the album release of Symphonic Death Metal band "Jessica".
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:29 am 

693 wrote:
Why couldn't they just call themselves Darah Haus, sounds much cooler! I don't get why all bands need to have English lyrics and names. English is a pretty boring sounding language if you ask me. And if you are really bad in the using the language you really shouldn't use it. Just Look at a band like Shining, the Swedish lyrics are a million times better than the English ones.

Couldn't agree more man. Siksa Kubur, for example, named themselves in Bahasa Indonesia and sing in that language too. The name means "torment of the grave', but the Indonesian version is more memorable.

English is an amazing, intricate language with boundless possibilities for expression - however, I do agree that I would like to see more bands using their own language for band names, albums, song titles and so on. Especially those of major metal exporters like Finland, Sweden, Japan, and so on. For example, the bellowing death metal vocals, in Japanese, of Gotsu Totsu Kotsu, just sound fantastic.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:38 am 

sushiman wrote:
693 wrote:

Couldn't agree more man. Siksa Kubur, for example, named themselves in Bahasa Indonesia and sing in that language too. The name means "torment of the grave', but the Indonesian version is more memorable.

English is an amazing, intricate language with boundless possibilities for expression - however, I do agree that I would like to see more bands using their own language for band names, albums, song titles and so on. Especially those of major metal exporters like Finland, Sweden, Japan, and so on. For example, the bellowing death metal vocals, in Japanese, of Gotsu Totsu Kotsu, just sound fantastic.

But you have to consider, that often, lyrics in a band's native language, that sound great to the foreign listener, may sound pretty awful to the native speaker. Being german, I find that's quite often the case with a lot of bands that use the german language (noteable exceptions are Rammstein and Eisregen, whose lyrics are often chock full of witty wordplay and a certain sardonic glee that wouldn't translate as well in english).

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:07 pm 

Peroy wrote:
But you have to consider, that often, lyrics in a band's native language, that sound great to the foreign listener, may sound pretty awful to the native speaker. Being german, I find that's quite often the case with a lot of bands that use the german language (noteable exceptions are Rammstein and Eisregen, whose lyrics are often chock full of witty wordplay and a certain sardonic glee that wouldn't translate as well in english).

Very true. Depends on the band either way. I think German is an awesome language though, I can listen to any amount of it in metal form. One day I'm going to try and learn it properly so I might have a different response for you then. Still, I do enjoy the way bands like Rage and Tarot say wisions and wirgins instead of visions and virgins XD

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:10 pm 

sushiman wrote:
Peroy wrote:
Still, I do enjoy the way bands like Rage and Tarot say wisions and wirgins instead of visions and virgins XD

There's a difference ? :P

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:45 pm 

Peroy wrote:
There's a difference ? :P

My best friend is German... he occasionally calls my wife Wanessa, haha.

On topic again, another stupendously bad band name is this recent Czech post-black outfit I reviewed called ██████. Yep, a black strip. They pronounce it as "nic" which is Czech for "nothing/void/null". The demo isn't actually that bad.

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:24 pm 

693 wrote:

I have a theory that it's because most people who listen to metal have an understanding of english. So, if they name their band in their native language, it may sound cooler for either the english speakers and/or those who have the same mother tongue as you, but also, there could be the possibility of getting an unintentionally embarrasing name that a lot of people will understand if they happen to use a word in their native language similar to english.

Witness the band Hat (norwegian for hate) for example. Those who speak norwegian will have no problem with the name, but anybody who doesn't but does know english will read...well, you know.

Also, people from my country who are proud of their heritage but know their english will most likely never name their bands after the Huanca or Wanka culture. British people can see why.

Supposedly, "great king" in mandarin chinese is read something like "da wang".

These could happen between any language. Say, an italian band decides to use the word "pennes" (feathers) to name their band (Phoenix's Feathers or something like that...be imaginative). Trust me when I say that any hispanic guy will read "dicks" (penes) before they realize what the italians were trying to say.

In short, english is definitely not the coolest sounding language, but I'm certain that it's the safest one when naming your band.

Also, people seem to really love that black strip band. It seems they can't help bringing it up every few posts O:

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:57 pm 

Menternor wrote:
Witness the band Hat (norwegian for hate) for example. Those who speak norwegian will have no problem with the name, but anybody who doesn't but does know english will read...well, you know.

Even better example: "Furze" (which google translate tells me is norwegian for "gorse"... I don't know what that is, never seen that word before) means "fart" in german... not the noun, but the imperative verb. So, yeah, I guess I'm gonna fart along to the music, if the band tells me to do it...

Megadeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:33 pm 

I don't understand how someone wanted to name their band Begging for Incest.

Peroy wrote:
Menternor wrote:

Even better example: "Furze" (which google translate tells me is norwegian for "gorse"... I don't know what that is, never seen that word before) means "fart" in german... not the noun, but the imperative verb. So, yeah, I guess I'm gonna fart along to the music, if the band tells me to do it...

Furze isn't a Norwegian word. It's either a made up word, it's a funny name they learned in German lessons, or it's a word for gorse, as you said. But furze isn't the Norwegian word. Gorse is a flower also known as furze, called gulltorner in Norwegian and Stechginster in German.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorse

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:49 pm 

Megadeth wrote:
Furze isn't a Norwegian word. It's either a made up word, it's a funny name they learned in German lessons, or it's a word for gorse, as you said. But furze isn't the Norwegian word. Gorse is a flower also known as furze, called gulltorner in Norwegian and Stechginster in German.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorse

Well, that's google translate for ya...

So Stechginster it is... ... ... that's not very metal, is it... ? :P

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:04 pm 

Just look in Metal Archive's "Latest Bands" page and you'll see at least one name (if not the whole list on certain days) of groups with names that totally eat mule ass.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:35 am 

Menternor wrote:

There's also a Hats Barn, which just makes me think of some kind of discount hat shop.

sushiman wrote:
On topic again, another stupendously bad band name is this recent Czech post-black outfit I reviewed called ██████. Yep, a black strip. They pronounce it as "nic" which is Czech for "nothing/void/null". The demo isn't actually that bad.

Is it some new rule that this band must be mentioned at least once by a different poster on every page of this thread?

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:58 pm 

Bands that put full stops in their name. This includes "..." who have probably been mentioned already, but for a non-metal example, Portugal. The Man; the name was nonsensical enough to begin with but the full stop just gets on my tits.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:51 pm 

Forest Whitaker was just added to the archives as a band.

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:51 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Indonesia is notorious for producing nonsensical Engrish band names.

South America isn't so far behind.

Here's Evil Damn...I'm pretty sure they meant Evil Curse.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:57 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Forest Whitaker was just added to the archives as a band.

This makes me very happy.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:09 pm 

I think one of the most retarded I've seen is Goat the Head.

What??? Goat isn't a verb. How do you goat a head? Is it referring to someone named Goat, who is apparently the head of something? Is it supposed to be "go at the head" but there's just a typo for whatever reason? The more I think about it the more it pisses me off.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:30 am 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
Strapping Young Lad is an incredible name.

Metallica, music aside, is incredibly feminine sounding. Not that feminine qualities are bad, but juxtaposed with their music it's pretty incredibly fucking bad.

Metallica's name was a stroke of pure genius. If they had another name they probably would have never made it big. It's catchy, memorable, and immediately evokes the way they (used to) sound.

HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
Also, Space Eater. Just kinda stupid to me. Maybe I don't get it.

But the band kicks ass...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzbxuGEW4Rg

Good idea: Naming your band after a Gamma Ray song.
Bad idea: Naming your band after one of the worst songs Gamma Ray ever wrote.

But they're a modern thrash band with an actually good singer instead of some guy who walked in off the street so I'll forgive them.

Menternor wrote:

Every time I hear of that Hat guy who used to be in Gorgoroth I think of Mr. Garrison's sock puppet from South Park.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:00 am 

I dont think Space Eater is a bad song...but to me naming your band after someone else's song (unless youre a cover band) is ALWAYS a bad idea, I sure as hell wouldnt do it...it's too easy and unoriginal.

And Metallica still sounds the way their name evokes

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:10 am 

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:
I dont think Space Eater is a bad song...but to me naming your band after someone else's song (unless youre a cover band) is ALWAYS a bad idea, I sure as hell wouldnt do it...it's too easy and unoriginal.

Overkill, Mayhem and Enslaved probably disagree.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:48 am 

inhumanist wrote:
Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:

Overkill, Mayhem and Enslaved probably disagree.

And those are all great band names.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:49 am 

ok good point on overkill but what songs did mayhem and enslaved name themselves after?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:45 pm 

Glad you ask!

Venom - Mayhem With Mercy
Immortal - Enslaved In Rot

Source: MA

Callum_Carcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:00 pm 

Party Cannon, though I know it's intentionally juvenile and anti-scene.

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:06 pm 

Speaking of bands with terrible names inspired by some other band's song...

Genital Grinder

What's even more shocking is that there are actually 4 bands with that name in the archives O:

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:03 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Metallica's name was a stroke of pure genius. If they had another name they probably would have never made it big. It's catchy, memorable, and immediately evokes the way they (used to) sound.

Exactly. For the huge part of society that has no interest in metal (and rock/music revelant to it) at all, if they know at least that metal is "loud rock music", if they are to name drop a band, ~99,9% of them can only name Metallica.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:55 pm 

Then Kame Silence
http://www.metal-archives.com/band/view/id/48154

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:05 pm 

Just found another one from the Random Band button:
Scarin' Myself
http://www.metal-archives.com/band/view/id/3540339134

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:40 pm 

Imagine I have a speed metal band. I want to call it High Speed. But to be "different" and "non-conformist" I stick to Swedish: Hög Fart.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:46 pm 

Random band button gave me this:

Let It Flow

*giggle*

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:08 pm 

Opus wrote:
Imagine I have a speed metal band. I want to call it High Speed. But to be "different" and "non-conformist" I stick to Swedish: Hög Fart.

Hög Fart, that's pretty catchy.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:45 am 

I'll just leave this here...
http://www.metal-archives.com/band/view/id/30658

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:05 am 

a dutch thrash band called magnetron?? Its Microwave in english ;)

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Magnetron/89897

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:13 am 

In English "magnetron" actually refers to the piece of machinery inside a microwave oven that produces the microwaves.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:19 am 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
In English "magnetron" actually refers to the piece of machinery inside a microwave oven that produces the microwaves.

then its even more ridiciolous haha

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:17 am 

Magnetron: The Transformer that time forgot.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next