Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:08 pm 

c_zar, have you heard Legionarii? The songs I've heard of theirs reminded me of Triarii and the like.

~Guest 298739
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:29 pm 

What exactly is Martial? From what I've seen and heard, it seems like a combination from Folk and Classical or something. My next question is Martial Industrial just Martial with Industrial influences or just a name? I can't imagine combining the two from what I've gone through though.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:28 pm 

@Nhor:
instead of writing it down myself, just take a short read here (in case you haven't done so)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_industrial
I personally don't see much (albeit a bit) folk in Martial music but define the genre foremost on the use
of march-like drumming, marching rhythms and a war-like atmosphere with using classical instrumentation
and dark ambiental sounds, but the wiki entry sums it up quite okay I'd say...
And yes - martial industrial is like you say; mixing samples of speeches, war noise etc. among the other
ingredients. However very often both styles go hand in hand

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:37 am 

Some in here are looking for the more organic side of the neofolk family. Take a look at Fire + Ice. They have a very stripped down, basic Sol Invictus and 80s/90s era Current 93 style. As well there is Strength Through Joy, who are sometimes unfairly put aside as Death in June clones. (They do deserve that complaint, but only to a certain extent.)
I'm not sure this group would call themselves neofolk, but Romowe Rikoito's music should appeal to fans of the genre. It's romantic in a lamenting-the-loss-of-heritage kind of way; and they use all real instruments, no industrial type sampling. Use of the extinct Baltic Prussian language now and then adds to the sense of detachment and despair.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:36 am 

Anyone know of a decent starting point for Les Joyaux De La Princesse?

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:56 pm 

I'd say either Aux Petits Enfants de France, In Memoriam or Die Weisse Rose. There isn't a terrible amount of deviation in style between albums (significant but not extreme), so you can really dive in most anywhere, you'll still get more or less the same sense of atmosphere. But any of those would set you up nicely, they're some of the more quality-consistent releases of his.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:04 am 

Numerator_41 wrote:
Anyone know of a decent starting point for Les Joyaux De La Princesse?

I'm with Under_Starmere regarding "Die Weiße Rose". It's (imo) their/his most accessible release.
However "Exposition Internationale - Arts Et Techniques - Paris 1937" is close behind and features
some great songs. Other albums like, say, "In Memoriam P. Henriot 1889-1944" are probably too
noisy/sample-based to really enjoy for starters...

grooveris
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:11 am 

Hi,

Sorry for posting in the wrong thread, but since it did not work in classifieds, I will try my luck here.
Guys, if someone of you is looking for some used but like new martial/neofolk stuff (CDs), let me know (pm). Arditi, Triarii, Blutharsch, etc. Thx

VincentVanGone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:12 pm 

Anyone have recommendations for bands similar to Tenhi?

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:24 am 

Any bands similar to Krynitza ? Preferably east-european bands using the flute and/or the violin. Do the "smiliar bands" on the last.fm page fit? Because it seems they're more of the hum... "war sounding" bands, at least from their looks, and that's not what I'm looking for.

SSatanicSSatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:23 am 

I am looking for pioneering folk/world music or at least oldish world/folk music. I do not listen to much folk/world music and it is a genre(Well more like genres) I should listen to more. I enjoy many folk releases. I love Ulver's album Kveldssanger. I dig Karl Sanders' side project. Omar Khairat is great. I have quite a diverse taste in folk music. I would prefer Folk/world music that is either European or Mid-Eastern but any oldish(As old as possible please) folk/world music will do. I am not looking for martial industrial, not that it is a bad genre or anything.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:58 pm 

SSatanicSSatan wrote:
I am looking for pioneering folk/world music or at least oldish world/folk music. I do not listen to much folk/world music and it is a genre(Well more like genres) I should listen to more. I enjoy many folk releases. I love Ulver's album Kveldssanger. I dig Karl Sanders' side project. Omar Khairat is great. I have quite a diverse taste in folk music. I would prefer Folk/world music that is either European or Mid-Eastern but any oldish(As old as possible please) folk/world music will do. I am not looking for martial industrial, not that it is a bad genre or anything.

It may be worth considering whether you want "real" folk music (i.e. acoustic music made by musicians with a "real" folk background) or neofolk (i.e. folk-influenced acoustic music made by musicians from a metal/punk/rock background). Whilst these are obviously sweeping statements, I feel they generally do hold true. Neofolk tends to be much simpler and less subtle than "real" folk, with more emphasis on creating a dark/romantic/gothic/medieval/pagan atmosphere.

With this distinction in mind, in terms of "real" folk artists I would recommend:

(Irish): Altan, The Chieftains, Clannad (early), Planxty, Arty McGlynn.

(Scandinavian): Groupa, Hedningarna, Garmarna, Väsen

(English): Blowzabella, Kathryn Tickell, Eliza Carthy

(European): La Musgaña, Ilgi

(Middle-east): Rabih Abou-Khalil ("Nafas" & "Tarab"), Essa Kassimi, Aziz Herawi

(African): Toumani Diabaté, Boubacar Traoré, Ayub Ogada, Karamoko Keita, Mahmoud Guinia.

If I weren't on my phone, I'd post some links, but this should give you a few places to start searching.

ExNoctemNacimur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:43 am 

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a band/artist similar to Hagalaz' Runedance. The main thing about them (her? It sounds a bit awkward) that I like are the vocals and the drumming. I've tried Garmana, not similar enough. I've also tried Omnia, but their sound isn't quite "thick" enough (for example, compare Fidhe Ra Huri to Hel, Goddess of the Underworld to get my meaning). Any ideas?

Tempered_Steel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:54 pm 

ROME. I am no sure if they have been mentioned but this Neo-Folk band from Luxembourg is truly impressive. Very evocative songs with extremely poetic lyrics.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:37 pm 

This thread hasn't been overly active in the last month or two, but I'll throw out my requests.

1.) Looking for something along the lines of Fire + Ice's Birdking. I really dig the super melancholic, feelsy atmosphere generated by the acoustic guitars and the flute-esque (?) instruments. Prime example would be around the 3 minute mark of the title track. I'm familiar with the band's back catalogue and quite a few of the other bands that play in this style (Tenhi, Sol Invictus, In Gowan Ring).

2.) I've tried for the life of me to get into Current 93 but Dave Tibet's voice rubs me the wrong way in virtually every way. Thus far I've heard Thunder Perfect Mind, Of Ruine and Some Blazing Starre, and their split with Om, but haven't really been able to get into them. They have a rather vast discography and free time isn't something I have a lot of these days so maybe someone with a bit more experience with them can give me a recommendation.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:47 pm 

IX Leviathan wrote:
2.) I've tried for the life of me to get into Current 93 but Dave Tibet's voice rubs me the wrong way in virtually every way. Thus far I've heard Thunder Perfect Mind, Of Ruine and Some Blazing Starre, and their split with Om, but haven't really been able to get into them. They have a rather vast discography and free time isn't something I have a lot of these days so maybe someone with a bit more experience with them can give me a recommendation.

Tibet used his voice a bit differently and less frequently on his early industrial records. Perhaps try Dogs Blood Rising or Nature Unveiled. There's also the excellent Haunted Waves, Moving Graves, which is entirely instrumental minimal ambient/modern classical.

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:58 pm 

I'm curious about what Saint David Tibet's "earth covers earth" concept is about. I believe there is a Current 93 album of the same name which I haven't heard yet, but he uses this line in many of his songs. Can anyone help shed some light on this for me? As for the haters to save comment, yes I am ignorant. :)

Also, are there any other more abrasive Current 93 songs such as Black ships ate the sky (from the album with the same name) and Inerrant Infallible / Black Ships at Nineveh and Edom (from the Om split)?

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:59 am 

Tempered_Steel wrote:
ROME. I am no sure if they have been mentioned but this Neo-Folk band from Luxembourg is truly impressive. Very evocative songs with extremely poetic lyrics.

Hell yes. I love their album "To Die Among Strangers". Very emotive and extremely dark.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:28 am 

Where to start with Current 93? I usually don't like martial/neo-folk, I'm a huge fan of drone/ambient stuff like Tim Hecker, Nadja, Ben Frost, and plenty of those black metal ambient hybrids, but the bigger names in neo-folk have never grabbed me. But anyway, one day late after work, around 4am I was sick and sleep deprived and some college station started playing Current 93 and I completely zoned out to it and loved it. I believe it was Christ & the Pale Queens Mighty in Sorrow, but when i hear youtube clips it's really not getting me. maybe it was something else, or maybe the awful sound/transmission from the station made it really cool.

I prefer melody and less acoustics the better. I may be be barking up the wrong tree to begin with, but regardless I'd like to give it a shot.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:28 am 

So I recently got into Daudi Baldrs. And now I'm searching for more "Medieval-like" music similar to this.
Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I think this was the closest.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:13 am 

You'd probably be into The Moon Lay Hidden Beneath a Cloud. They don't sound like the Burzum stuff you linked, but they had a heavy focus on medieval topics and fantastic music to go with it. You can pretty much start anywhere in their discography, but Rest on Your Arms Reversed and A New Soldier Follows the Path of a New King are my favorites.

Here's a track from RoYAR. Had to link from tumblr because this stuff is never on youtube.
http://separatioleprosorum.tumblr.com/p ... th-a-cloud

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:51 am 

Wow, thank you, this is amazing.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:32 pm 

Glad you like 'em! Hope you don't mind downloading because the CDs can get fairly expensive when they come up. I've seen their final release go for as much as $300 :grumble:

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:51 pm 

Yeah I noticed. My philosophy on torrents is simply to download it if I can't find it anywhere or it is too expensive.
Better to at least be a fan if I couldn't have bought the record anyway. :)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:13 pm 

Celtic Frosted Flakes wrote:
So I recently got into Daudi Baldrs. And now I'm searching for more "Medieval-like" music similar to this.
Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I think this was the closest.

Sorry a bit late to the party, but maybe check out The Soil Bleeds Black.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:19 am 

Hey guys. I think what I'm after is dark folk rather than straight up neofolk. I'm after folk stuff but I don't really want any of the modern industrial/martial/post-punkish leanings I've heard in a lot of neofolk. I'm totally fine with instrumental stuff and might even prefer it; if it has vocals I'd rather them either be female vocals or like layered, chanting type folk vocals rather than more modern sounding vocals. Examples of what I'm looking for is stuff like Kveldssanger, The Moon & The Nightspirit or Vali, but could even be darker stuff like Wardruna. In fact, somewhere between those two styles would really be ideal, as the former could use some slower, more percussion-heavy elements and the latter often doesn't have enough stringed instruments and melody for me.

Let me know if this isn't enough to go on and I can maybe link some stuff that might help.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:11 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Hey guys. I think what I'm after is dark folk rather than straight up neofolk. I'm after folk stuff but I don't really want any of the modern industrial/martial/post-punkish leanings I've heard in a lot of neofolk. I'm totally fine with instrumental stuff and might even prefer it; if it has vocals I'd rather them either be female vocals or like layered, chanting type folk vocals rather than more modern sounding vocals. Examples of what I'm looking for is stuff like Kveldssanger, The Moon & The Nightspirit or Vali, but could even be darker stuff like Wardruna. In fact, somewhere between those two styles would really be ideal, as the former could use some slower, more percussion-heavy elements and the latter often doesn't have enough stringed instruments and melody for me.

Let me know if this isn't enough to go on and I can maybe link some stuff that might help.

Have you heard German act Nebelung? I discovered them on BandCamp a while back, pleasantly simple but well-played neofolk with a similar autumnal feel to "Kveldssanger", Vali, etc.

http://nebelung.bandcamp.com/

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:36 pm 

Hey, thanks dude, hadn't heard that band before. Just the sort of thing I was looking for.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:04 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Hey, thanks dude, hadn't heard that band before. Just the sort of thing I was looking for.

No worries, glad to be of help.

Another different rec for you: for dark/sorrowful traditional folk with female vocals, you could do worse than the early material by Welsh folk band Fernhill:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnKE-cVCrt8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUttOY_MXdg

May not be your sort of thing, but nothing ventured and all that.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:05 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

You will love Tenhi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMEK2grsmtg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuPdXM1KLfk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9OxfDTsXrk

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:40 pm 

Hmm, that was very good, actually, but still not 100% what I'm looking for; I'm after something that doesn't really feel "modern" at all and it was hard to suspend disbelief with the frequent use of modern drum kits and piano. I liked it anyway, though!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:49 am 

After having checked out some Nebelung I'm not 100% convinced with them, either. At first I thought the vocals would grow on me but they actually sorta had the opposite effect. The instrumental elements were sometimes good but sometimes just sort of pedestrian-sounding backdrops for the vocals. So, not really doing it for me, I think. Again, I don't really want stuff that sounds like neofolk; I want either no vocals, limited chanting type vocals or vocals that sound more ancient than usual modern-sounding neofolk vocals.

ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:15 pm 

This isn't exactly neofolk, but I'm looking for stuff similar to these Suidakra acoustic folk songs;

Rise of Taliesin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS1n9AVOc5I

Dinas Emrys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGRDo4lmBDs

I'm familiar with much pagan folk like Omnia, Faun, The Moon and the Nightspirit, so instead of something with the general pagan folk sound, i'm looking for tunes that have the specific feel of the above Suidakra songs. rather wistful, pagan and magicky, mellow, preferably English lyrics and no electronic elements.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:03 am 

Just gonna post this here.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=96122

You don't have to hide your jealousy that I'm going to what I think is literally the only Neofolk festival in the United States and possibly the Western hemisphere.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:38 am 

iamntbatman wrote:

Hmm, perhaps Dämmerfarben's non-metal songs? Their most excellent latest album actually has more neofolk tracks than metal ones (although the metal ones are much lengthier). Only example I could find on Youtube were the first two tracks together:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZlAmhIgnxU

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:33 am 

Well, that was pretty much spot on. Thanks for that. So of course that begs the question: does anyone have any recommendations for bands doing that sort of style exclusively? To be honest I wasn't all that impressed with Dämmerfarben's metal bits but the folk stuff was great.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:47 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Well, that was pretty much spot on. Thanks for that. So of course that begs the question: does anyone have any recommendations for bands doing that sort of style exclusively? To be honest I wasn't all that impressed with Dämmerfarben's metal bits but the folk stuff was great.

Glad you liked it :-D unfortunately, I'm in the same position as you...I adore Kveldssanger, but I've only found a few things that stand up to it. So much neofolk sounds so inauthentic, like the band members just said, "Hey, Ulver is pretty awesome, we should totally do that." I suppose you might like Agalloch and October Falls acoustic material, and maybe, just maybe, Havnatt.

Agalloch's acoustic-ish EP:
http://agalloch.bandcamp.com/album/the-white-ep

October Falls:
http://octoberfalls.bandcamp.com/album/sarastus

Havnatt (the most recent thing I could find. Their latest album is on Spotify, though):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLZwB4Xb3kY

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:28 am 

I'm familiar with Agalloch's discography and found Havnatt on my own after posting my original request. I've heard of October Falls but never checked them out. I'll fix that now.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:57 pm 

balbulus wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

No worries, glad to be of help.

Another different rec for you: for dark/sorrowful traditional folk with female vocals, you could do worse than the early material by Welsh folk band Fernhill:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnKE-cVCrt8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUttOY_MXdg

May not be your sort of thing, but nothing ventured and all that.

This is just amazing. Any other bands in this vein that I should check out?

ravagingthemassacred, you should give this a listen. Might be what you're looking for.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:03 pm 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
(Fernhill) is just amazing. Any other bands in this vein that I should check out?

Early Clannad maybe, before they went synthesized? 2nd, 3rd and 4th albums specifically ("Clannad 2", "Dulaman" and "Crann Ull").
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mReocm8kCK4

It depends what specific elements you're referring to. Fernhill, like most traditional folk acts, don't focus exclusively on the dark stuff, they run the full gamut of feelings/emotions. For me at least, this is one of the main distinctions between "proper" folk (traditional and contemporary) and neofolk. Neofolk, as I've said before, tends to focus on the dark/pagan/gothic/medieval atmospheres, while "proper" folk conveys pretty much everything.

Coming from a metal background, I've always been drawn to the dark and droney, minor-key side of folk, and that first Fernhill song I linked ("Hela'r Dryw") is probably the darkest I've come across.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next