Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:01 pm 

Dette can play the parts no doubt, so could Bostaph, so could most good drummers. Still rather see Dave behind the kit.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:09 pm 

Ancient_Mariner wrote:
Dette can play the parts no doubt, so could Bostaph, so could most good drummers. Still rather see Dave behind the kit.

This is really the point. I understand why fans are raging, but when it comes to live shows I'm not all that worried. Lombardo's style was integral to the band's sound early on, but now that those song are already written, he's pretty easily replaced/replicated. The only reason I care a bit more about Hanneman's absence is because if they go back into the studio without him, it'll actually make a difference since he writes a good chunk of the songs (though if you check the last two albums, King somehow wrote most of the good ones, it's like they flip flopped somewhere in the 90s).
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:30 pm 

Well to me its getting close to a cover band when half or more of the members are gone.

Neither one has really written many great song lately.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:32 pm 

Any bets on when Tom will be shoved out of the group in some manner leaving Kerry the only original member left?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:35 pm 

Wouldn't be surprised. He can get Corey Taylor to sing.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:26 pm 

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:
caspian wrote:
just popped into this thread to say that you certainly don't miss Lombardo live. The new drummer's a beast.

Better than Lombardo? Yeah right...

quit acting like lombardo is some kind of prodigy. he's a good drummer, nothing more.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:47 pm 

Turner wrote:
quit acting like lombardo is some kind of prodigy. he's a good drummer, nothing more.

:getout:

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:54 pm 

Ancient_Mariner wrote:

This. If you watch Live Intrusion on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoiPr_bDqow), Bostaph pretty much nails all Dave's stuff. I doubt you could tell the difference between both drummers if you didn't already know it was Bostaph behind the kit.

But of course this conflicts when recording new material. It's no secret that most fans want Dave's fast, aggressive style over Bostaph's technical more precise drumming.

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:55 pm 

Lombardo was pretty instrumental in the whole thrash scene. No one did the double time snare abuse quite as much as he did; quite influential I'd say, far more than "just a good drummer".

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:19 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Any bets on when Tom will be shoved out of the group in some manner leaving Kerry the only original member left?

I don't think Kerry is stupid enough to do something like that. Araya's vocals are associated with the band's sound about as much as the guitars and it's rather hard to think about any singers that would be drafted in his place.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:06 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Subrick wrote:

I don't think Kerry is stupid enough to do something like that. Araya's vocals are associated with the band's sound about as much as the guitars and it's rather hard to think about any singers that would be drafted in his place.

Wait wait wait, that dude from Evile sounds just like Tom Araya, and since he also plays guitar he won't need to bring back Hanneman, and since he'll be playing for his idols he'll probably work for chump change, then Kerry only needs to find a scrub for the bass.

Holy shit I think we accidentally just figured out his master plan :o
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:38 am 

^ LOOOL. Precisely it.

Last.fm

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:52 am 

Subrick wrote:

That will never happen. To too many casual fans, it would be the loss of the frontman and main presence. King is smarter than that.

Turner wrote:

:thumbsup: He was certainly influential in his day, but today there are plenty of drummers that can replicate what he's doing. I always preferred Bostaph anyway.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:34 am 

I can't decide what is more retarded between posts about Divine Intervention being Slayer's Magnum Opus, mediocre thrash albums made by guys who are now flipping burgers being hailed as more representative of thrash than Reign in Blood and now Lombardo being called "a good drummer, nothing more".

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:37 am 

Revisionist history knows no boundaries. Why else do you think some people can look at Cradle of Filth's crazy as fuck 90s material and say "that's not extreme at all"?

Last edited by Subrick on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:47 pm 

Its like when I talk to kids today who tell me Judas Priest and Iron Maiden aren't heavy metal, they are classic rock because they lack a screamo vocalist and death metal influenced guitarists. Dave L is an awesome drummer. Great feel and power. Is he the greatest drummer ever? No, but one of the greats in metal history and nobody else works in Slayer like him IMO.

ahr888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:56 pm 

Subrick wrote:

Now that's a change I wouldn't mind seeing. Slayer could use someone who tries to sing or growl and stops screaming. But seems that Tom is King's sidekick so it's unlikely.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:47 pm 

Riffs wrote:
I can't decide what is more retarded between posts about Divine Intervention being Slayer's Magnum Opus, mediocre thrash albums made by guys who are now flipping burgers being hailed as more representative of thrash than Reign in Blood and now Lombardo being called "a good drummer, nothing more".

Well, if you take things out of context, they can become as retarded as you make them sound, bro. I'm certain you know exactly what "representative" typically means as an adjective and how it differs from "good", "notable" or "popular" in the context of the post of mine you're making fun of, here. Also, out of principle, I'll have you know that flipping burgers and creating outstanding art are not mutually exclusive activities. Funny post in and of itself, however. :D

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:23 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
Riffs wrote:

Well, if you take things out of context, they can become as retarded as you make them sound, bro. I'm certain you know exactly what "representative" typically means as an adjective and how it differs from "good", "notable" or "popular" in the context of the post of mine you're making fun of, here. Also, out of principle, I'll have you know that flipping burgers and creating outstanding art are not mutually exclusive activities. Funny post in and of itself, however. :D

Thank you, LM! Happy you're taking it this way, I just had to handpick quotes for maximum effect :-P

It's all irrelevant, you know. It's just different perspectives. It's fun when the opinions are educated, and certainly I enjoyed reading your posts and that's all that matters. My opinions are not any better than anyone else's but I was surprised at how many things I disagreed with on this thread. The forum was buggy at the time I posted so I couldn't go through the thread and just picked what I could remember.

I'm used to opinions about Metallica that I find totally fucked up but I didn't know this had reached Slayer yet, I guess.

For what it's worth, I don't think there was such a thing as representative thrash. But if fans at large think it's stuff like some of what you mentioned here, it may explain why thrash died relatively quickly and never grew an audience worthy of succeeding traditional heavy metal. Cause some of that stuff sounds limited to me. Both is scope and in potential appeal.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:26 am 

Yeah, I see where you're coming from, dude. Well, being limited in scope was always a reality for thrash, that's part of what makes good thrash so good: it's not how many limitations you acknowledge, it's how you manage to keep things interesting within those limitations (current retrothrash bands might understand this someday, who knows). If the bulk of the riffs are not primarily based on tootootootootootootootoo-duh, too-too-too, too-too-too, too-too-too and too-duh, too-duh, too-duh, the music can quickly become something else and no longer (just) thrash. That's part of the fun.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:26 pm 

I remember back in the olden days when thrash was extreme metal and the traditional metal fans were often saying it was just noise.

Though in the late 80's-early 90's thrash, well a couple of the big bands, began to overtake regular metal in popularity at least over here. But it didn't last and while Metallica became bigger than any of the regular metal bands they did it by pretty much taking the thrash out of their sound.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:44 pm 

i've never seen slayer live, which is fucking shocking considering how long i've been listening to metal lol

any road, they are now coming to Belfast this year, but with no Jeff and no lombardo it seems: bit gutted i'll only see half original lineup but from what i hear the stand ins are accomplished and i shouldn't be disappointed

any thoughts?

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:49 pm 

Zephirus wrote:
i've never seen slayer live, which is fucking shocking considering how long i've been listening to metal lol

any road, they are now coming to Belfast this year, but with no Jeff and no lombardo it seems: bit gutted i'll only see half original lineup but from what i hear the stand ins are accomplished and i shouldn't be disappointed

any thoughts?
Saw them with replacement members, they still put on a great show. I have been a fan of them forever, so its a tough comparison for me personally. You won't be disappointed though. One thing Slayer has never done, and that's put on a disappointing show.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:03 pm 

Lombardo can be great when he wants to. But if he's bored, which he obviously was on Decade of Aggression, he is sloppy.
You can do practically unlimited takes in the studio, but what really matters is nailing it live.

I'll tell you one thing, he ain't no Hoglan!

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:00 pm 

Seem 'em three times with Dave since the reunion and he was amazing. Then again Bostaph destroyed it when I saw them live with him too. Still was a bit of a different feel to them for me. Maybe it was just that Dave is the guy who turned drums from something that keeps the beat to something I key on so I'm sentimental.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:40 am 

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/03/25/no ... -hanneman/

So yeah, I don't expect anyone to like this in any way, shape, or form.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:59 am 

Subrick wrote:
http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/03/25/now-slayer-are-considering-ditching-jeff-hanneman/

It's not surprising, considering Jeff is doing well nowadays and he doesn't want to be back to this drama queen-band.

Hell, when I saw Slayer live in 93, it was one of the most intense concerts I've attended on my life. You could feel the ferocity, the passion, the violence of the songs and how people got even more violent moshing. Now Slayer looks worst than Dream Theater/Portnoy. Now, this is for the money, how fucking lame.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:08 am 

It's still makes sense Slayer existence without Hannemann and Lombardo? :ugh:

"You make it easy."

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:08 am 

Subrick wrote:
http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/03/25/now-slayer-are-considering-ditching-jeff-hanneman/

Yeah, it was kind of obvious that the spider bite wound at this point was but a bullshit excuse, as I said earlier.

Slayer just isn't Slayer without Hanneman and Lombardo. And I sincerely hope those two unite to form their own band.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:28 am 

Wow, shitty idea to ditch Hanneman. Show some respect, Kerry.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:10 pm 

I bet when the new album flops, he'll blame it on downloading. Wouldnt be surprised if Gary writes a song for it.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:40 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Wouldnt be surprised if Gary writes a song for it.

That's the other depressing thing. I watched the whole interview and basically, King doesn't treat Slayer like a band anymore. Throughout the interview, King speaks of that other guitarist slot like it's an interchangeable part, mentioning Hanneman and Holt turn by turn like they are disposable robots.

He mentions having written enough material for the next album by himself and only opens the door for outside stuff if Hanneman was to come back. So basically, if Holt stays, it's as a mercenary for performances only. Kind of a waste considering how talented the guy is.

It's a shitty situation all around. Shitty for Lombardo and for Hanneman, of course. Also shitty for Holt (but hey, he's big enough to know what he's doing). It also drags the Slayer name through the mud and most importantly, I think it's a shitty situation for Slayer fans.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:48 pm 

Riffs wrote:
I think it's a shitty situation for Slayer fans.

Amen.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:42 pm 

Yop, Riffs summed it up very well.

I watched the whole interview as well and I really don't like Kerry's tone and attitude, there. He talks of Jeff like they're completely estranged by now and he makes it clear that he doesn't give a shit about that. He'll release a "Slayer" album soon, with or without Jeff, he's "got Slayer covered in case Jeff doesn't joins the party", and Jeff is only in contact with their manager at this point, not his teammates directly...

Also, I was a bit shocked by the way Kerry King addressed the question about Show no fucking Mercy's upcoming 30th motherfucking anniversary. He almost went "oh this old thing?" and improvised a half-assed answer on the spot by saying "it's been re-released I think 5-6 years ago", they won't play it live to celebrate the anniversary, and "the most I can see us doing is play the few tracks off of it we still play in a row, in the middle of the set or something".

Jeff Hanneman, please wake up and smell the lawsuit while there's still time.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:45 pm 

Kerry King seems to be 100% cynical businessman nowadays. Hell even Lars Hetfield and James Ulrich are more likeable at this point because at least they don't treat each other and their bandmembers like condoms.

Quote:
but I’ve always said that all of their albums — yes, even the non-Lombardo ones — are good, despite the fact that they never ever do anything different. In fact, but I am wearing a Slayer shirt right now by PURE COINCIDENCE — I put it on this morning before I checked my RSS feed or e-mail. Slayer are my favorite Big Four band because they never got crappy, never followed trends

90s amnesia?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:48 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Kerry King seems to be 100% cynical businessman nowadays. Hell even Lars Hetfield and James Ulrich are more likeable at this point because at least they don't treat each other and their bandmembers like condoms.

Quote:
but I’ve always said that all of their albums — yes, even the non-Lombardo ones — are good, despite the fact that they never ever do anything different. In fact, but I am wearing a Slayer shirt right now by PURE COINCIDENCE — I put it on this morning before I checked my RSS feed or e-mail. Slayer are my favorite Big Four band because they never got crappy, never followed trends

90s amnesia?

Yeah, people who say Slayer never changed or chased trends must have missed a few albums there.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:39 pm 

More like one album, maybe two at most. Diabolus in Musica was almost entirely written by Hanneman, so it's not like the guy's infallible when it comes to his output over the years. To be blunt, not every song he's written since then has been a zinger, either. If his taking time away leads to returning refreshed both physically and creatively, he can't be faulted because it's certainly been needed on both fronts. I'll speculate he's the more likely to come back between him and Dave. If King's this sharp businessman that he thinks he is, he knows damn well that the next album is going to be one hard sell to the label and to the fans without at least ONE of those two on board.

Really, I'd just like to see Gary get a break from all this shit so he can focus on the next Exodus album. Dude's been riffing it better than about all of his peers lately, anyway. Heathen doesn't look like they're doing fuck all so maybe Lee will write more for it, too.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:14 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Quote:

90s amnesia?

Yeah, I don't get this train of thought at all. Slayer aren't the "AC/DC of thrash" or whatever they want to call them. They were genuinely dumb enough to take actual musical inspiration from the nu metal bands (let's just stress that point some more: Slayer played nu metal thrash for two albums). And yet people will still say that they "never did anything different". Fucking numptees.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:28 am 

Well of course it's all about the money now. It's not like being a musician earns you a pension or entitles you to any either. You have to save every dime that you can and maybe reality caught up with them now.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:29 am 

Googled "how much money does slayer make". Got a bunch of results with Runescape strategy advice.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next