Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:51 pm 

What are some bands you think that really have just shown to be amazing as musicians, not just metal musicians, but general musicians?

I'm going to start with Enslaved, they have progressed so much. They really showed their musical diversity starting with monumension when they started using a lot of proggy elements, with clear floyd and crimson inspired parts in songs like "the voices", and the sleep. They continually progressed, I'd say in a pattern of two albums at a time before any major sound shifts, leading to their latest three albums, Vertebrae, Axioma Ethica Odini, and Riitiir; these three albums musically were amazing. Songs like reflection, ethica odini, and storm of memories musically were amazing in how they came together. You can listen to these three songs while looking at the album covers, and in your head picture just this spacey sci-fi/ Norse setting. For their progressiveness as musicians, and ability to incorporate so much into their music, I think they are musically amazing, not just in metal.

The second band I want to talk about is Boris. While they arent exactly straight metal, they have clearly progressed, and never stuck to the same thing. Their sounds is always changing in some way, large or big, and they experiment a lot creating some of the most out there music I've ever heard. They have their early epic Abstolutigo, then their fore-coming epics like feed backer, dronevil, flood, and their other albums like smile, pink, heavy rocks, new album, and everything else they've made, they have shown they are capable of playing almost anything, from sludge to pop. I could try to say what their best albums were in my opinion, but I would end up naming off 2/3's of their discography. Just looking at flood, and the ambiance they create with it, to new album, and the more poppy feeling they create with that, it is no question they are also musically amazing.

The final band I want to mention is Immortal, and simply for the album "sons of northern darkness". I don't know how to compare this to anything else in their discography really, at first it sounds a lot like battles in the north, at the heart of winter, or all shall fall, but when you hear all the little themes and elements they put into all the songs, this album is musically genius. They have thrash elements, grind elements, viking elements, ambient elements. The way that the drums and guitars compliment each other, on top of the bass and vocals is amazing (one by one and sons of northern darkness show this distinctly). And the solo at the end of "beyond the north waves" is something so musically complex that Abbath himself may not have understood how he did (referring to his lessons from guitar world). For this album I would consider immortal to be musically amazing.

These are just some bands I can think of off the top of my head, what are your opinions, and what bands would you say are musically amazing, beyond metal?

Dylbean
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:22 am 

I don't really like this sort of implication that good metal isn't good music by itself and instead has to be extra special and transcend metal.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:24 am 

Well look at bands like king crimson and pink floyd, they were bands so musically amazing that they influenced so many others in so many other genres. I'm not saying metal isnt good on it's own, but say you had to make a list of the top 20 musicians period, from any genre, what metal bands would fall onto that list? and why?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:39 pm 

Dylbean wrote:
I don't really like this sort of implication that good metal isn't good music by itself and instead has to be extra special and transcend metal.

Where's that "like" button?

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:43 pm 

I think that to keep "loyal" to your style/sound and still sound refreshing and innovative is just as hard (or even harder) than to evolve musically. I am not implying here that evolution is wrong, but to think that maintaining your sound means you're a bad musician is absolutely mistaken.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:57 pm 

I think perhaps I might have written this out bad. I was thinking along the lines of bands and albums history that made an influence on music as a whole, like court of the crimson king, lateralis, ect. and was trying to make a thread about metal albums that would fall under this category, I wasnt trying to say bands that were "better than metal"

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:33 am 

So why didn't you mention Elvis, Louis Armstrong, Chet Baker, The Bee Gees, The Beatles, U2?
You made it sound like prog rock is the absolutely best music ever, and only bands that really, really, really try to sound like those bands are worth something?
Yes, I'm in a bad mood!

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:04 pm 

I'm currently obsessed with Type O, but I think they deserve a mention here. Peter's handle on the craft of songwriting surely transcends the confines of metal and encompasses progressive rock, pop, and ambient. The instrument they played with the most technical proficiency was the mixing board, however. Not to say they were not all fine musicians.

dragmire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:22 pm 

Luke Jaeger of the one-man instrumental tech death band Sleep Terror is an amazing musician.
His solo album is like acoustic flamenco/jazz.
http://lukejaeger.bandcamp.com/
He also plays bass in a funk/fusion band called LVM Trio.
http://lvmtrio.bandcamp.com/

Ell
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:41 pm 

One album that I think is definitely worth listening to is the original 1995 cut of "In Times Before the Light" by the Covenant (if Black Metal is your thing). The year 2000 remix wasn't terrible, but it just lost a lot of the qualities/atmosphere that I thought were exceptional on the original album. It's a shame that they make such terrible industrial music now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7pU0gV3BnY

That being said, music is still just music, and I have to pretty much agree with the first comment, except that any particular piece of music is what you make of it, and therefore you develop a certain opinion of it and it becomes special to you.

Reply to topic