Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:51 am 

inhumanist wrote:
@failsafeman: Sounds pretty cool. Care to post your mod list?

Sorry, I don't even own that computer anymore. I've been toying around with the idea of digging all of them up again someday in order to re-play Morrowind, as I seem to get the urge to go through it again about every 4-5 years.

Kevbo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:03 am 

Finally got around to playing the first Dead Space (yep, I'm Mr. Current Events alright) and, well, am glad I waited to pay a measly $15 for it. It's a fine game, but I completed my first playthrough (normal difficulty) in a little over 10 hours. Rewards for completion offer minimal replayability, but I've been going back through anyway (achievement whoring).

Definitely interested in 2 & 3 now. How do they compare to the original?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:06 am 

~37 hours of playtime since Monday afternoon (I finished around 11:00pm my time), and I've officially unlocked all 132 characters in Warriors Orochi 3. Without going into a huge thing, I'll say it's good, I liked it and I'll probably still play it just to tool around with the absurd amount of characters. Pretty much the only character who didn't turn out to be tremendously overpowered after a few stages was Joan of Arc (and I guess I only stuck with Fu Xi for one stage as well because he's so slow but I'm pretty sure it's worth it once he's sufficiently leveled). So yeah the challenge goes away unless you're consistently swapping out characters and keeping yourself underleveled on purpose (the game starts with basically just the right amount of challenge and punishment and eventually turns into a "let's see how many thousands of people I can cut down effortlessly in five minutes" contest), but it remains fun. The only part of the game I didn't like was getting the three endings because that entailed playing three pairs of nearly identical stages in a row, which got really tiresome.

I've only glanced at the Musou Battlefields thing but it seems pretty limited. If nothing else I'll make one just for the trophy.

Basically I'm hopelessly addicted to this series.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:28 am 

Kevbo wrote:
Finally got around to playing the first Dead Space (yep, I'm Mr. Current Events alright) and, well, am glad I waited to pay a measly $15 for it. It's a fine game, but I completed my first playthrough (normal difficulty) in a little over 10 hours. Rewards for completion offer minimal replayability, but I've been going back through anyway (achievement whoring).

10 hours is pretty decent mileage for a modern game.

DS3 really impressed me, I'd say it and the first are my favorites by far. DS2 didn't really bring anything new to the table other than more polish and better graphics, lots of recycled enemies, gave Isaac a voice and overblew it (something I felt was better in DS3), etc. Still decent but the weakest entry in my book.

DS1 is actually pretty fun on Impossible or whatever the hardest mode was, give that a shot. You'll actually want to run from a lot of encounters, spare ammo whenever possible, etc, definitely makes for a different experience. In a sense I feel DS3's design is a bit more action oriented in comparison though and well, just straight up cheap sometimes with enemies out the ass. Wasn't an issue but I could see it being less fun on higher difficulties, due to probably just being annoyingly frustrating, rather than fairly challenging.

satanic_neumann
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:16 am 

Kevbo wrote:

Aye, definitely play 2 & 3 too. Horror and claustrophobic feeling of first game is not so much present in those but overall gameplay is better. Especially DS3 has lots of replayability.

Speaking of Dead Space 3, i finally completed it yesterday. I was really skeptical first but after few chapters it was really enjoyable. Weapon upgrading is really great, it gives much more freedom to use different weapons and switch them as you go, all the classic ones are there too. Theres much more to collect stuff and different modes to play, so much replayability as mentioned. Also have to mention that at times DS3 looks really gorgeous. Especially during first half where its possible freeroam in zero g in actual space. Stunning stuff.

I was worried about action parts where you shoot people, steer spaceship and such, buy really, game is so long that those parts were actually really refreshing among necromorph soup cooking. Speaking of lenght, its really long game thats for sure. Twice as long as DS2, Visceral didn't lie. Took me 19 hours and i did all the optional missions, except co-op ones. Ending was epic. I'm satisfied, thats all i can say haha.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:48 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
And I suppose I don't have to even start getting into how the PS3 runs Skyrim.

Seems to work fine with me. What's your point?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:56 am 

Skyrim had a lot of problems on the PS3 when it came out but the updates fixed most or all of them. Runs fine for me.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:20 pm 

You definitely gotta check out the co-op missions in DS3 as well, it's pretty cool how they handled it.

And in general, one of the best ways I've ever seen co-op utilized. It didn't strip the single player campaign of anything nor are you stuck with retarded AI throughout the entire game like all of Capcom's new crap.

It's a bit unappealing at the start of the game, but yeah I didn't have an issue with the human enemies either.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:01 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
There was also a really cool combat mod that extensively retooled the melee combat, basically making a Skyrim-like combat system (years before Skyrim actually came out) of pushing different direction buttons to perform different attacks, except it was more complex. Each weapon type had its own combo system, for example you could press up up down while holding a 2h club to perform a knockdown, as long as you had the stamina. Other weapons had bleed effects, a chance at paralysis, shit like that. Of course these powerful combos required a mod to make the enemies stronger, but once I got everything working properly I remember it being quite balanced and fun. If you tried to just stroll into combat casually waving your sword around like in vanilla Morrowind, you'd get pummeled, but if you used the combos effectively and managed your stamina intelligently, you'd do very well. It rewarded smart play over just gearing up and clubbing people over the head with the strongest weapon you can find, as vanilla Morrowind did after a certain point.

I feel like a combat upgrade would really be the most critical part if I wanted to replay Morrowind these days; I could get around the graphics but that game's combat system would seem so monotonous compared to the more detailed, realistic combat in Oblivion and Skyrim.

Starting Mass Effect 2 today as well. Can't decide if I should stick with a Vanguard or roll something different.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:26 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Starting Mass Effect 2 today as well. Can't decide if I should stick with a Vanguard or roll something different.

If it means anything, I played through the entire trilogy as a Vanguard and I thought it was great fun. Being up front with a crushingly powerful shotgun and some cool biotic abilities was very enjoyable (though the shotguns in 2 and 3 didn't feel AS powerful as the juggernauts in the first). I'd recommend it.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:27 pm 

I don't have an internet connection on my PS3 so I never got to patch Skyrim, but it still worked basically fine. But I'm not the type to sit down and game for 5 hours straight, so that might have something do with it. I had two missions glitch up and remain impossible to finish, and the fort clearing levels for the stormcloaks/imperials slowed down to a crawl, but otherwise it played fine. Hardly experience ruining overall.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:45 pm 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:

If it means anything, I played through the entire trilogy as a Vanguard and I thought it was great fun. Being up front with a crushingly powerful shotgun and some cool biotic abilities was very enjoyable (though the shotguns in 2 and 3 didn't feel AS powerful as the juggernauts in the first). I'd recommend it.

I completely agree, but I ended up going with an infiltrator just for something different, and decided to up the difficulty to hardcore. Should be fun!

I like how the Mass Effect games actually make the "balanced" classes worth playing as opposed to a lot of RPGs that seem to make focused (solely magic/fighting/tech/etc) classes the only way to truly be effective.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:51 am 

Anyone else playing Guild Wars 2 on the Sea of Sorrows server? I just started (level 5 Sylvari thief), and so far it's kind of boring. I'm really hoping the meat of the game opens up once I invest a couple (dozen?) hours, and I'm also searching for people to play with. I'm in a clan, but the more noobs I can learn along with, the better IMO.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:53 am 

I started playing ME on Tuesday, beat in in the same day, started played 2 again on Wednesday, beat that last night, and began playing 3 again today. Did it without being Sheploo and did it / doing it as Vanguard. Loads of fun, and thankfully with texture mods now so that the games don't look like dogshit. Got the MEHEM mod on 3 so I won't be fucked.

10 PAGE RESEARCH PAPER DUE IN 2 DAYS BE DAMNED!
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:03 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:

Just FYI, Vanguard suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks in Mass Effect 2 if you're playing on the hardest difficulty. Even with a massively powerful shotgun you'll get torn to pieces as soon as you charge in.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:18 pm 

Holy shit yeah Vanguard was fucking worthless in ME2. "Let me teleport into my DEATH!" whatever that ability was was freaking trash.

I did Impossible with Sentinel. 20x better class.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:13 pm 

Finally been getting around to playing XCOM:EU some more. Probably going to finish this normal difficulty playthrough later tonight and start working on classic or impossible.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:57 pm 

Anyone played Corpse Party: Rebuilded? I dowloaded it for the PC and it says that it needs to install RPG Tkool XP Runtime Package to run. The game won't run without it but the installer for this program is fishy as hell, displaying a lot of weird characters, and mostly worrying me. I've read some people have used it and have had no problems whatsoever, but I've never seen anything quite like this. Is this program safe?

EDIT: Both game and fishy-program-thingy can be found here: http://www.memoriesoffear.com/games_cor ... index.html
Hopefully this rings some bells.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:31 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
I did Impossible with Sentinel. 20x better class.

Me too, but I think Infiltrator was a lot better. Sentinels have good defense but crap offense, at least until you get that extra weapon from the Collector's ship. Infiltrators don't have as much defense, but their cloak is fantastic both for setting up sniper rifle headshots and for running away if shit gets too hot. If the enemies can't see you, they can't shoot you. I have to say though, I REALLY loved how the Sentinel's TRON shields looked. Just a really cool and fairly original idea.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:36 pm 

Yeah that sounds about right to me. Probably one of the biggest changes I liked about ME3 over ME2, they took out the silly weapon type limitations. I recall ME1 having that, but you could still use them all. Another reason why Vanguard's were so crippled too, couldn't they just use pistols and SMG's or something? Maybe that was Sentinel too... but yeah, yikes.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:56 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Yeah that sounds about right to me. Probably one of the biggest changes I liked about ME3 over ME2, they took out the silly weapon type limitations. I recall ME1 having that, but you could still use them all. Another reason why Vanguard's were so crippled too, couldn't they just use pistols and SMG's or something? Maybe that was Sentinel too... but yeah, yikes.

I hated how I could have a sniper rifle but couldn't zoom in as an Engineer (my current play through, already took her through 1 and 2) and the goddamn HUD cross-hairs stretched out to the entire screen.

On a similar note, I've played ME3 online again after the new free pack came out, and I got a free equipment box containing one of the new classes and I got the Geth Juggernaut Soldier.

If there ever was a few sentences that I would say playing as him, it would be the following from Timeghoul's "Boiling in the Hourglass".

Spoiler: show
I AM A GOD, THE PRIMAL BEING.
I WILL IMPALE YOU ON THE CRUMBLED PILLARS OF THE MILLENNIA.

The most insanely powerful multiplayer class on ME3 now.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:01 am 

So I picked up the following today from three stores:
1: Extreme-G 2 and Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (both cart only), ~$10 each
2: New Super Mario Bros 2, Tetris Axis, and Chrono Trigger (DS), ~$83 total
3: Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (GBC, complete in box), $12

I think I did pretty good

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:46 pm 

Thought it was about time to get a 3DS, should be on its way to me with Super Mario 3D Land. Got Fire Emblem on preorder. Will probably get NSMB2 and some VC stuff. Can't wait to receive it, gaming has been a bit flat for me over the past few weeks and I think this might get me interested in something again. Need some Nintendo goodness.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:42 pm 

Well, Jagex released an old-school version of Runescape that's based off their 2007 game. I've been playing it since it came out. It's always interesting to meet metalheads through games, so I figured I'd ask here.

Currently 50cb, my name is AuraEternium in game. PM or write on here!
General Runescape-shit, too.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:44 pm 

Markov wrote:
Well, Jagex released an old-school version of Runescape that's based off their 2007 game. I've been playing it since it came out. It's always interesting to meet metalheads through games, so I figured I'd ask here.

Currently 50cb, my name is AuraEternium in game. PM or write on here!
General Runescape-shit, too.

I knew about this, but I can't figure it out. Does one need to be a member to play it?
I know it was only 6 or so years ago but for some reason I get very nostalgic over old Runescape. Something about those shitty browser graphics and the Lumbridge theme. I stopped playing around the time the GE was introduced.

From what I understood, if that poll reaches 750,000 votes it will be available for free, but does this apply to non-members as well?

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:00 pm 

I know I'm late to the party on the Skyrim discussion but FUCK it's buggy on 360. Mine freezes every time I open the main menu, nearly every autosave, switch spells via the favorites list, or travel between cells to the point where I need to bring up the XBOX main menu to get it back on track. Early on I tried turning off autosave to cut down on how often it would happen then the it would freeze outright and wipe out hours of progress (I'm to reliant on autosaving to remember to do it often I guess.) I like it enough to see it through but It completely kills the replayability for me.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:17 pm 

Get the PC version then. You'd also get all the cool mods too.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:07 am 

:lol: god dammit, another Path of Exile hardcore loss. Level 43 freezing pulse templar, had some great gear and gems and I'd been working on him for many many hours. That's the SECOND time I've lost a great character because I alt-tabbed at the entrance to a zone. Fucking URRHHGHGHGHGHGH shitty ass archers.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:46 am 

...there are only so many hours in the day...
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:05 am 

obviously it's incredibly rewarding as well as frustrating or I wouldn't keep going back to it! Also each character contributes to the overall stash of items which helps future characters.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:18 am 

Man, I sure hope you level up quicker in that game than in Diablo, otherwise that's a ridiculous number of wasted hours... :| I hope you learned the lesson about leaving your character "unattended" this time.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:02 am 

Like I've mentioned, hardcore characters are moved to softcore when they die. I can't imagine what it must have been like playing Diablo 2 hardcore, which a friend of mine (big PoE financial supporter and forum mod) did. Losing characters sucks enough even when they aren't actually lost.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:14 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Like I've mentioned, hardcore characters are moved to softcore when they die.

Sure, but if you still just start another hardcore character after one dies, that feature is not really helping. ;)

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:53 am 

I usually swear off hardcore mode when I die, and tell myself I'll start playing default, but it's too damn thrilling.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:15 pm 

Yay, Age of Empires II HD remaster is coming to steam
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/age-of-empi ... -9-6404962

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:19 pm 

Already own both games, and even have it installed on my computer. Doesn't look any different. Don't think I'll get it.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:05 am 

Does anyone round here play Trackmania? For those who don't know it's a fun arcade-style racer with big jumps, high speeds and sweet drifts. There's an open beta (free) version of TM2 Stadium available on Steam at the moment and it looks pretty good. Still some bugs and the odd bit of incredibly poor design to work out of course... People may be familiar with the old free TM Nations Stadium and it seems like there may be a free version of TM2 Stadium in the future too with limited single player stuff and only one online game mode available.
http://www.maniaplanet.com/trackmania/stadium

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:53 am 

anyone looking forward to bioshock infinite?

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:14 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Already own both games, and even have it installed on my computer. Doesn't look any different. Don't think I'll get it.

To me, it's more about being able to play multiplayer with my friends without so much confusion on community-made patches and having to deal with awful services like Gameranger. The HD remaster does look a lot better to me but perhaps it just aged really well. 2D games from the late 90s have a tendency to do that. :P
http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/ ... 1362697560

Arma 3 Alpha came out a few days ago. Game is still lacking in content (only basic infantry, armored cars, and helicopters are in) and yet I already sunk 21 hours into it while creating neat little engagements and doing co-op missions with my buddies. There's still a lot to look forward to; can't wait.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:19 pm 

the fastest kickstarter so far: a million in under 8 hours
what can change the nature of a kickstarter record? I think some of you old-school crpg fans might have a hunch.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 477, 478, 479, 480, 481, 482, 483 ... 940  Next