Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CadaverMutilator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:14 am 

Where do you think they'd do? This is geared more towards the older bands obviously, but take a few years off more younger bands if you'd like.

Cannibal Corpse
Most of the guys in this band are in their early 40s. They're already going pretty strong as it is and are very consistent in terms of the quality of their recent releases IMO. I get a feeling they'd delve more into the technical BDM thing if you took off two decades out of their ages.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:22 am 

I would love to take 20 years of Faith No More. Patton and Bordin still got it, but the other guys seem to be getting a little to old and rusty.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:54 pm 

I wish Sentenced would have chosen to play more "north from here" style. But no. They did that one album in 93 then turned into gothic bullshit.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:35 pm 

Judas Priest. Hopefully they'd remove dry ice from their stage regimin and could have come up with a proper and fresh followup to Painkiller. It felt really felt like they were on the cusp of really reinventing themselves.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:00 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
I wish Sentenced would have chosen to play more "north from here" style. But no. They did that one album in 93 then turned into gothic bullshit.

Not what this thread is about. It's about aging musicians whose music you really enjoy, whom you'd just wish gained some more energy, or simply had more time to release albums before the inevitable retirement.

I'd say Manilla Road. Mark Shelton will probably continue releasing albums for as long as he can write songs and play them on guitar, but he's 57 now. If he had 20 extra healthy years to deliver great albums, I'd wish it to him more than to anyone else I can think of. He has made so many good albums that if it was in my power to give such a gift to anyone, I'd trust it on him.

Secondly, I think the new stuff would be more energetic and exciting if he was 37 again.

beeneNOLAdoobie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:11 pm 

i agree with the cannibal corpse post. that would be fucking awesome to hear their approach to more brutal death metal, especially with a technical flair. I guess my opinion as of lately would be enslaved, with their past like 5 albums i have been blown away. I can only imagine the albums they would put out if they had plenty more time under their belts. Especially since they are nailing the balance between progressiveness and heaviness at the moment.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:18 pm 

Black Sabbath. Maybe there would be a little less drama.

Maybe.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:23 pm 

well, I'd take THIRTY years off of Ozzy, back to the days when he was still a young-ISH "Madman of Rock" who still had some semblance of a voice left. But going back 30 years instead of 20 is stretching the point of the thread.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:25 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
well, I'd take THIRTY years off of Ozzy, back to the days when he was still a young-ISH "Madman of Rock" who still had some semblance of a voice left. But going back 30 years instead of 20 is stretching the point of the thread.

Eh, he sounded better in 92 than he did in 82.

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:38 pm 

Iron Maiden. Definitely.

I'm among those who thought The Final Frontier is the best thing they've done in 2 or so decades, so I'd just take 20 years off them so they could continue playing in that style or improving even more.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:47 am 

Surprised nobody has mentioned Slayer.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:59 am 

shwartzheim wrote:

Why? They haven't done anything relevant in 20 years. Why would you want an extra 20 years of mediocre music?

I'm going to say Iron Maiden. I love just about everything they've ever done, and they really show no signs of slowing down. I think that their reunion stuff is just as good as their classic material, albeit a different beast. 20 more years of reunion Bruce would be brilliant.

While they're at it, another 20 years of solo Bruce in the vein of Chemical Wedding wouldn't go amiss either.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:01 am 

Given Halford's love of black metal, I'd definitely like to take 20 years off him so he could delve into that realm - with Priest or with someone else.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:07 am 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
Halford's love of black metal

:eek: This is news to me. Any bands in particular?

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:24 am 

Well hes friends with Ihsahn and the Dimmu Borgir guys, and he was thinking of doing some black metal-type stuff.

Dunno if this indicates whether he's a fan of the rest of the genre though.

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/news/5368/R ... ack-Metal/

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:36 am 

juicebitch wrote:
Well hes friends with Ihsahn and the Dimmu Borgir guys, and he was thinking of doing some black metal-type stuff.

Dunno if this indicates whether he's a fan of the rest of the genre though.

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/news/5368/R ... ack-Metal/

Yeah, I remember reading something where he mentioned that he really got into it in the 90s when touring Europe.

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:02 pm 

Symphonic black metal stufff?

...I'm not really sure what to think about Halford liking and even considering participating in a project in that style.
No, he better stay old considering the atrocities that both Dimmu Borgir and Ihsahn has been putting out lately.

I wouldn't mind him continuing to release heavy metal albums though...I still had hopes of the ol' Judas Priest releasing a great album if they worked hard enough.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:47 pm 

Motorhead... because an uncompromising and consistently good 60-year career would be even more impressive than a near-40 year one. That, and speculations of Lemmy's immortality would reach an even greater high.

Would taking 20 years off-of Mayhem make Dead and Euronymous non-dead? That way they could create a good follow-up to De Mysteriis, with the "classic lineup". Although now I think about it, the death's were over 20 years ago now, almost?

ancientsgate
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:45 pm 

Katatonia. Lord Seth would be able to perform harsh vocals again. I truly miss the days of Jhva Elohim Meth and Dance of December Souls - pure majestic beauty.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:47 pm 

i think if shelton was 20 years younger manilla road would have sounded a lot different.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:29 pm 

I'd say Anathema because I want them to release more of the doom/death material. The sole reason why they changed their musical direction was because they got out of their degenerate late teen/early 20s drug life. Hopefully by removing 20 years off these now-grown-up-sober-mature Brits, would mean a return to their earlier decadent state :evil: Ergo, a return to more of their heavier stuff. I say all this because Serenades, Silent Enigma wasn't quite there and could well be improved upon. Anyway, that was just a thought.

A big yes to Motorhead and Priest. I'm not sure about new material but they deserve to tour endlessly and sell out huge arenas year after year.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:04 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:

Would taking 20 years off-of Mayhem make Dead and Euronymous non-dead? That way they could create a good follow-up to De Mysteriis, with the "classic lineup". Although now I think about it, the death's were over 20 years ago now, almost?

Nope, Dead would still be, well, Dead. Dead did not sing on De Mysteriis, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

People must stop thinking Dead and Euro did all the work that made DMDS great. Many of the songs were written after Dead was dead, and Snorre also wrote a big chunk of the musical material. And the album would not be the classic it is without Attila's vocal approach.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:13 pm 

I would love to see the Dead-era line-up do a full-length, though. But it would be a completely different animal to Mysteriis.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:32 pm 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
I would love to see the Dead-era line-up do a full-length, though. But it would be a completely different animal to Mysteriis.

Out from the Dark is a official demo album, maybe that is to your liking?

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:57 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
shwartzheim wrote:

Why? They haven't done anything relevant in 20 years. Why would you want an extra 20 years of mediocre music?

I'm going to say Iron Maiden. I love just about everything they've ever done, and they really show no signs of slowing down. I think that their reunion stuff is just as good as their classic material, albeit a different beast. 20 more years of reunion Bruce would be brilliant.

While they're at it, another 20 years of solo Bruce in the vein of Chemical Wedding wouldn't go amiss either.

Agree completely with 20 more years of Bruce solo. Love The Chemical Wedding more than anything Maiden has ever done.

Absolutely true that Slayer has done nothing relevant in 20 years, but seeing as the majority of Slayer fans I've met/am aware of have no quality control when it come to anything that band does, i am surprised they weren't mentioned.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

CadaverMutilator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:57 am 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Morbid Angel.

I think they'd be able to get to album Z if you shaved off 20 years. I don't see it happening at the rate they're going now. Of course, Pete would be back in the band as well. Oh and they should really let Trey write all the lyrics, it's my understanding he did a bulk of the writing for Altars, Blessed, and Covenant. I don't think Dave is a bad vocalist, but his lyrics leave a lot to be desired lol.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:23 am 

Terri23 wrote:

Even tho I like Maidens 90s material (except Fear Of The Dark) I don't think they really were on their peak at the time? :P

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:00 am 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
Even tho I like Maidens 90s material (except Fear Of The Dark) I don't think they really were on their peak at the time? :P

I took this with the idea of using the current line up, so the Brave New World and onward line up. Not where the band was 20 years ago. If we did that, the band wouldn't have a singer, as Bruce left the band in 1993!

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:30 am 

CadaverMutilator wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Morbid Angel.

I think they'd be able to get to album Z if you shaved off 20 years. I don't see it happening at the rate they're going now. Of course, Pete would be back in the band as well. Oh and they should really let Trey write all the lyrics, it's my understanding he did a bulk of the writing for Altars, Blessed, and Covenant. I don't think Dave is a bad vocalist, but his lyrics leave a lot to be desired lol.

i think i'd rather see them finish on a self-titled

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:09 pm 

CadaverMutilator wrote:
Oh and they should really let Trey write all the lyrics, it's my understanding he did a bulk of the writing for Altars, Blessed, and Covenant. I don't think Dave is a bad vocalist, but his lyrics leave a lot to be desired lol.

Little nitpicking here but your "understanding" is completely wrong, only lyrics that Trey wrote on those albums were the songs that were made before Dave joined the band, and that means 5 songs on Altars, 3 on Blessed and 1 on Covenant. He always wrote all the music but the lyrics have always been Dave's duty, apart from the time he was not in the band of course

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:01 pm 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
Given Halford's love of black metal, I'd definitely like to take 20 years off him so he could delve into that realm - with Priest or with someone else.

Given his mention of Ihsahn and Dimmu Borgir, we have the undoubtful right to think that his "love of black metal" is something akin to the "iloveblackmetall" poster on this forum. I don't think the idea of traditional metal musicians doing black metal will usually work, just like the opposite way it doesn't (see Darkthrone). Although for example this project Armour of SW is pretty decent.

iloveblackmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:52 pm 

[code][/code]
vengefulgoat wrote:
TheUglySoldier wrote:

Given his mention of Ihsahn and Dimmu Borgir, we have the undoubtful right to think that his "love of black metal" is something akin to the "iloveblackmetall" poster on this forum. I don't think the idea of traditional metal musicians doing black metal will usually work, just like the opposite way it doesn't (see Darkthrone). Although for example this project Armour of SW is pretty
decent.

No offence. But if you want to talk crap about me i would rather have you writing that to me directly.

Reply to topic