Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
androiddream
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:57 am 

So, I'm looking to buy some cds. Below is what i've come up with so far. How am I doing? Are there any that you particularly love or hate? If so, let me know. Usually I know what to expect when I make a purchase, but this time I'm not so sure. Thanks for your help.

Condemned - Realms of the Ungodly
Mitochondrion - Parasignosis
Teitian Blood - Seven Chalices
Corpsessed - Dagger & the Chalice
Coroner - Punishment for Decadence
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence

Metantoine's guidelines
1) When you're posting a list of albums you want to get, include some thoughts with it.
2) This is NOT the latest purchases thread, this is more about counseling people on what they buy than showing your stuff.
3) What Dragunov did is alright, you can ask stuff like "is the new Lana Del Rey die hard LP with a patch made out of her hair worth it?" I think this could be cool.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:14 am 

I like the idea for this thread, lets hope it doesn't get locked for trolling. Keep this one alive, Tony?!

8/10

Condemned's Realm of the Ungodly is solid Unique leader-styled brutal death, great vocals and just punishing riffs in the vein of a lesser technical Defeated sanity/classic Suffo worship. 4/5

Mitochondrion while not necessarily my cup of tea is fine album for a newer generation of death metal, lots of discordant riffs and a massive wall of sound that is unequaled to a lot of imitator bands. 3/5

Teitanblood another album that has its fair share of admirers, I personally found it boring black/doom with the faster parts just being boring imitations of Blasphemy insert X War metal type band. But I can see the appeal of the band 2.5/5

Corpsessed-Dagger & the Chalice
I get them mixed up with all of the numerous OSDM bands that exist, I haven't heard too much of their stuff and if I did it did nothing for me (no opinion therein)

Coroner-Punishment for Decadence
Incredible musicianship, but no real punishing riffs. Great album for those that enjoy that style of "thrash". 3/5

Atheist-Unquestionable Presence 4/5

I enjoy this album for its technical simplicity. What i mean by that seeming contradicting term, the instrumentation and riffs are done in the small running time of the disc from dazzling ambient sections in the jazz moments to the thrashing madness taken from the prior album. I enjoyed it although it seemed a bit too brief.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:55 am 

I can speak for Corpsessed only.

They are from Finland and play Old School Death Metal the way it meant to be.

Dark, obscure, sophomore but also aggressive and in your face. I have the mcd 'The dagger and the chalice' out by Dark Descent records. Great artwok, spartane booklet with vintage style paper.

I highly recommend it if you want to deepen your knowledge of evil.

"You make it easy."

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:03 am 

The new Condemned is boring as all fuck and Parasignosis is a really, really weak album. I'm not familiar with Coroner, but Corpsessed and Teitanblood are great. I'd go with Unquestionable Presence overall, though, since it's cool plus it's got historical relevance on its side.

EDIT: Oh, fuck. I misread, I thought you wanted people to help you choose one CD out of those six. Basically Condemned and Mito = BAD, can't speak for Coroner, everything else = GOOD.

Last edited by MalignantThrone on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:05 am 

Did anybody grab any of those Grand Belial's Key LP reissues from HHR? How'd they turn out?

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:41 am 

androiddream wrote:

Waitin for this to show up in the mail anyday now.

Oblivion_Gene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:11 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
Did anybody grab any of those Grand Belial's Key LP reissues from HHR? How'd they turn out?

Did now... thanks for the heads-up!

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:45 pm 

This may be an unpopular opinion, but since you asked: I found the Atheist album to be long and kind of robotic. With the extra tracks especially it's really just too much. Bear in mind I'm not really a fan of technical death metal.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:54 pm 

Mitochondrion and especially Teitanblood are pretty awesome and I totally recommend those albums. The other bands however I haven't listened too (much) and can't really give you my opinion.

Von Jugel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:55 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
androiddream wrote:

Waitin for this to show up in the mail anyday now.

Got it yesterday on vinyl!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:19 pm 

:ugh: Ok Veracs, I'll give some guidelines then.

1) When you're posting a list of albums you want to get, include some thoughts with it.
2) This is NOT the latest purchases thread, this is more about counseling people on what they buy than showing your stuff.
3) What Dragunov did is alright, you can ask stuff like "is the new Lana Del Rey die hard LP with a patch made out of her hair worth it?" I think this could be cool.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:23 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
What Dragunov did is alright, you can ask stuff like "is the new Lana Del Rey die hard LP with a patch made out of her hair worth it?" I think this could be cool.

I figure a thread inquiring about the quality of the physical release, and maybe it's sonic quality aside from the actual music would be cool. Iniquiring about the actual music? I think that's what the reviews on the main site are for. :lol:

Oblivion_Gene wrote:
Did now... thanks for the heads-up!

:thumbsup:

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:24 pm 

Dragunov wrote:

I have the Judeobeast... and Mocking... reissues. Both very nice looking releases with all the silver ink printing and what not. Only complaint is that JA comes with a printed inner sleeve rather than a regular insert.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:29 pm 

Ah, that doesn't sound too bad. I think I'm going to grab all three of them sometime this week, along with one of their shirts. Thanks!

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:07 pm 

androiddream wrote:

Those are the only two I even know of out of your list, and what I'm about to say holds true for the both of them, so here goes. Do you already have the debut? If yes, then sure, proceed with these, but be forewarned: the follow-up is nowhere as good, let alone great. If your collection is lacking either debut, do it a favor and get it instead.

Where 'RIP' is an absolute must-have masterpiece that will still blow your mind and bring forth considerable enjoyment and amazement decades from the day you (will have) purchase(d) it, 'Punishment' will eventually be busy gathering dust on your shelves, in between the odd urge to rock out to "Masked Jackal", "Sudden Fall" or, once in a blue moon, the "Purple Haze" cover. Any other track will just leave you wanting and when you inevitably stop it, you'll find yourself craving for "Totentanz" or "Reborn Through Hate" or "Coma" or any other gem off of the debut.

'Unquestionable Presence' is a bit different in that it depends whether you're more into awesome thrash/death or "okay, fine" prog/thrash. I'm leaning more towards the former myself, so I unquestionably recommend 'Piece of Time' instead.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:28 pm 

androiddream wrote:
Condemned - Realms of the Ungodly
Mitochondrion - Parasignosis
Teitian Blood - Seven Chalices
Corpsessed - Dagger & the Chalice

I acknowledge your haul. I validate your existence.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:34 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:

Where 'No More Color' is an absolute must-have masterpiece that will still blow your mind and bring forth considerable enjoyment and amazement decades from the day you (will have) purchase(d) it, 'Punishment' will eventually be busy gathering dust on your shelves, in between the odd urge to rock out to "Masked Jackal", "Sudden Fall" or, once in a blue moon, the "Purple Haze" cover. Any other track will just leave you wanting and when you inevitably stop it, you'll find yourself craving for "Totentanz" or "Reborn Through Hate" or "Coma" or any other gem off of the debut.

Fixed.

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:01 pm 

Let me contribute my list of albums I plan on purchasing sometime hopefully soon.

Asphyx - The Rack (maybe Last One on Earth, too. I'll see) -- I own both Martin van Drunen Pestilence albums, so I figure it's about time I buy some Asphyx.

Samael - Blood Ritual / Worship Him double album -- This one will be more of a risky buy, but I like black metal and these guys are classics in the genre.

Nails - Unsilent Death -- I really am starting to get more into hardcore/crust stuff, and I think this might help me expand upon that.

Grave - You'll Never See / And Here I Die Satisfied double album -- I really dig Grave's debut, and SweDeath as a whole. Gotta get this.

Crucified Mortals -Crucified Mortals -- seems like some strong modern death/thrash metal here. I also am a fan of Hellcast, so I figure I at least need to show my support.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:18 pm 

p0wnn00b wrote:

Samael - Blood Ritual / Worship Him double album -- This one will be more of a risky buy, but I like black metal and these guys are classics in the genre.

Nails - Unsilent Death -- I really am starting to get more into hardcore/crust stuff, and I think this might help me expand upon that.

Early Samael is great. Ritualistic and morbid Hellhammer inspired bm, specially recommended if you like stuff like Beherit.

Nails is a pretty good choice if you are looking to get into the genre, ripping and crushing hardcore, plus the title track just fucking slays.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:43 pm 

p0wnn00b wrote:
Let me contribute my list of albums I plan on purchasing sometime hopefully soon.

Asphyx - The Rack (maybe Last One on Earth, too. I'll see) -- I own both Martin van Drunen Pestilence albums, so I figure it's about time I buy some Asphyx.

Grave - You'll Never See / And Here I Die Satisfied double album -- I really dig Grave's debut, and SweDeath as a whole. Gotta get this.

I don't think you'd regret purchasing any of these. Especially, The Rack because that's - hands down - one of the greatest death metal albums ever and if you love Pestilence already, you'll appreciate hearing Van Drunen sounding even better! Aiiiiiiieeeeee!

With regard to the Samael stuff: I think both albums are cool, Blood Ritual is superior, though, but if you're a Master's Hammer fan (like me) you'll enjoy Worship Him, too. They're both good albums: cool drumming, some great songs and a unique atmosphere that you don't find in much other black metal.

That Grave album is sweet, too. I prefer it to Into the Grave, but you really can't go wrong with either. The EP is decent, too.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:53 pm 

Haven't decided on everything I want to buy the next few days, I always tend to pick and delete things from my cart. But here was some of my planned purchases:

Witch Cross-Fit for fight
Dark Angel-We have arrived
Impetigo-Horror of the Zombies
Deceased-Supernatural Addiction
Züül-Out of time
Craft-Terror Propaganda
Opera IX-Call of the wild
Denial of God-The Horrors of Satan
SIG:AR:TYR - Sailing the Seas of Fate
Dishammer-Under the sign of the D beat mark

I still haven't figured out what non-metal stuff I wanted this check

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:00 pm 

Definitely snag that Dishammer record. It's exactly what it's title implies; very fun listen.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:35 pm 

Veracs wrote:
Dishammer-Under the sign of the D beat mark

Dragunov wrote:
Definitely snag that Dishammer record. It's exactly what it's title implies; very fun listen.

Funny thing is, I was actually going to do Veracs' wallet and collection a favor by telling him not to bother with this gimmicky, horribly repetitive, talentless turd. Well, now you have both sides of the coin, Veracs. Quality aside, might not be a problem for you if you like hardcore punk, but if you expect it to relate in any way with Bathory, black metal, or metal, period, you're in for a disappointement.

Re:'We Have Arrived', sure, get that if you can. The album itself is not that great, although half the tracks are quite good primitive speed/thrash fun, and one could say it's a minor piece of thrash history in and of itself. However, this humble beginning is home to "Vendetta". I rest my case.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:21 pm 

p0wnn00b wrote:

I did just get this the other day in the mail myself, and it's awesome. Listen to Worship Him first and keep in mind that it's second wave black metal...in 1991.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:34 pm 

For the first post,
Mitochondrion - Parasignosis, Great album, dissonant more abstract death metal. If you're into stuff like Portal and Antideluvian you'll most likely like this.

Teitian Blood - Seven Chalices, fuck yeah, great stuff. Really cool swampy death metal, has very unique atmosphere and production. Absolutely worth listening to.

Veracs wrote:
SIG:AR:TYR - Sailing the Seas of Fate

This is his worse release (not bad, though). I'd recommend Beyond the North Winds, which is fucking phenomenal. Really good songwriting, atmosphere and nice classical guitar sections.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:48 pm 

p0wnn00b wrote:

Asphyx is solid as it gets, the Rack is a classic so it's totally recommended.

SAMAEL... that's ESSENTIAL black metal there. See that Worship Him is the first album and Blood Ritual the second, both are absolutely crushing and evil. Vorph sounds inhuman on those and the riffs...you'll get dragged to the deepest hell, slowly. Also the production is excellent for the atmosphere they portay (in Blood Ritual you'll find a track with only piano/keys and Vorph's invocations, still evil as fuck).

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:40 pm 

Are any of Verge's releases worth it? Specifically the split with Blood Red Fog? I'm considering buying it but was I can't seem to find but a few tracks by this band online and need some further feedback.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:28 am 

I have "Hatemagic" which has become a fast favorite. Haven't heard anything else from them but planning on getting more soon! So yeah, go for it. Lemme know how it works out.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:03 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
gimmicky, horribly repetitive, talentless turd

The band's name is DISHAMMER, I am so very, very sorry if you expected anything more.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:15 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
I have "Hatemagic" which has become a fast favorite. Haven't heard anything else from them but planning on getting more soon! So yeah, go for it. Lemme know how it works out.

You've recced me some great stuff so I'll take your word on this one, I'll probably buy hatemagic first now but I'll definitely let you know how it turns out!

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:26 am 

How good are Megadeth live these days, and are they worth paying £35 a ticket for? Also I don't think I can afford a ticket for each, so which one would be better out of Megadeth, and Cryptopsy, with cattle decapitation and decrepit birth? (£20 a ticket)

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:44 pm 

Megadeth's setlists have become a little lame as of late. Check to see what recent sets are before buying.

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:39 pm 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
How good are Megadeth live these days, and are they worth paying £35 a ticket for? Also I don't think I can afford a ticket for each, so which one would be better out of Megadeth, and Cryptopsy, with cattle decapitation and decrepit birth? (£20 a ticket)

Personally, I'm not a fan of Cryptopsy, Cattle Decapitation, or Decrepit Birth, but that's just me.

I've seen Megadeth live once back in '10, a few months after Junior rejoined the band. It was incredible to see both Daves rip through Rust in Peace live. I can't say how they've been since, but I've had a friend who's seen Megadeth live a few times, and I think the general consensus is that they're pretty good. The only problem I could see is that it seems like Mustaine goes on in-between song banters about his politics. Not sure how often he does that, or how much you're willing to tolerate that. He didn't go on any long rants when I saw him live, though.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:40 am 

p0wnn00b wrote:
Twin_guitar_attack wrote:

Personally, I'm not a fan of Cryptopsy, Cattle Decapitation, or Decrepit Birth, but that's just me.

I've seen Megadeth live once back in '10, a few months after Junior rejoined the band. It was incredible to see both Daves rip through Rust in Peace live. I can't say how they've been since, but I've had a friend who's seen Megadeth live a few times, and I think the general consensus is that they're pretty good. The only problem I could see is that it seems like Mustaine goes on in-between song banters about his politics. Not sure how often he does that, or how much you're willing to tolerate that. He didn't go on any long rants when I saw him live, though.

I managed to read through his book, so can probably manage a few political rants. But does anyone know if they're still doing that Coutdown to extinction tour, or if we'll get a normal set?

Turns out I'm still in a job though, so hopefully will make it to both. As for Cryptopsy, I've only really heard their first 2, and None So Vile only just started to grow on me after 5/6 listens, but I wanted to go more for cattle decapitation.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:12 pm 

Correction: the Dishammer record I have is Vintage Addiction, not the other one that was mentioned. My bad!

Reply to topic