Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
logan6511
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:31 pm 

How would you catalog the Testament discography from best to worse? Unfortunately if we go by amount of reviews here on the site some albums don't have enough reviews to be able to do a fair comparison. Lets just count full length albums/productions.

Here is my list;

1-The Legacy- Songs like"Over the wall", "the haunting","burnt offerings","apocalyptic city" make this album a classic.

2-The New Order-Very solid follow up, highlights "into the pit" , "trial by fire", "erie inhabitants", "diciples of the watch", almost as good as the legacy.

3-Souls of Black- Ok, there are some fillers here, but Alex work on this album is superb. Case in point the solo for "Malpractice".

4-The Gathering- With Lombardo, Murphy and DiGiorgio there is no way this album could had sucked. Its not a homerun thou, but a solid album overall.

5-Low- I love this album but just slightly less than The Gathering, still a great album, with classics like "Hail Mary", "Dogfaced Gods" and "Low". Murphy was really good on this album.

6-Dark roots- I like this album, but i'm not crazy about it. Some weak songs here and there and "Native Blood" chorus just doesn't do it for me.

7-Practice...- I like this album when I first hear it back in 90's but after decades of listening, I truly believe this album doesn't live up to the hype. Sure there are some killer leads and Chuck's vocals do not disappoint, but there are a lot of filler songs case in point "Envy Life", "Confusion Fusion", "Green House effect" "Blessed in contempt". Not a bad album, just not a must have thou.

8-Formation-Its an OK album, has good songs but nothing that I would care to worry about.

9-The Ritual-Ok here is where I had to actually get really drunk to be able to digest this album. After "So many lies" this album dies a sudden death. The rest of the album contains so many forgettable tunes that making this album a 2 song EP sounds like a great idea.

10-Demonic- I guess this was Testament attempt to go death metal. its just bad. Not because Chuck cannot hold his own as death metal vocalist, but because the songs are really bad. "Murky Waters" is probably the best tune, followed by "John doe", the rest of the album is a bad selection of monstrosities put into an album.

Anyone wants to pitch in?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:42 pm 

I don't think I could give a full review of Testament's discography since I've never fully listened to Demonic. My top five albums would probably be ranked at The Legacy, Low, The New Order, The Gathering, and The Dark Roots Of Earth.

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:15 pm 

Clearly The Legacy is the best (it's a veritable thrash classic, full of awesome songs and it's great fun). Practice What You Preach and The New Order are like slightly diminished versions of the debut, the former slightly better. After that, nothing's worth bothering with.

ThomasBear
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:28 pm 

"When was Iron Maiden best? When you first discovered them, that's when."

My first exposure to Testament was The Ritual - on a cassette tape. I loved Electric Crown and *shock horror* Return To Serenity. Still do actually.

Later, someone gave me a couple of the classic album that were copies of copies of copies that looked like they'd been vigorously traded. I appreciated it, but the 'Egyptian' sound and classic thrash didn't blow me away, cos I'm just not as into thrash as others are.

To each their own.

And yes, I like it when Chuck sings about his feelings in those ballads.

logan6511
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:32 pm 

ThomasBear wrote:
"When was Iron Maiden best? When you first discovered them, that's when."

My first exposure to Testament was The Ritual - on a cassette tape. I loved Electric Crown and *shock horror* Return To Serenity. Still do actually.

Later, someone gave me a couple of the classic album that were copies of copies of copies that looked like they'd been vigorously traded. I appreciated it, but the 'Egyptian' sound and classic thrash didn't blow me away, cos I'm just not as into thrash as others are.

To each their own.

And yes, I like it when Chuck sings about his feelings in those ballads.

I agree with the Iron maiden assessment, even Steve Harris has been quotes saying same thing. As for Testament I think i discovered them with Practice what you preach, then Souls of Black, so maybe not in my case. But like you said to each his own. I like return to serenity , the ballad and trial of tears but I don't think its their best material thou.

Reply to topic