Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic

Vote! It's a matter of life...yeah lame joke, sorry.
Poll ended at Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:57 am
Brave New World 58%  58%  [ 85 ]
Dance of Death 14%  14%  [ 21 ]
A Matter of Life and Death 15%  15%  [ 22 ]
The Final Frontier 13%  13%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 147
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:11 pm 

[/quote]I think that those repetitive choruses lines are catchy and really enjoyable.[/quote]

Braveeeeeee Neeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww Worrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrlddddddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

logan6511
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:29 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Fuck yes, Bruce is back!

My vote: Very hard! But I think I'll go with AMOLAD. I discovered Maiden with this album and I still think it's great, great epic songs like The Legacy and Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, while there's some fillers, I think it's more consistent than Dance of Death even if I prefer some of the individual songs on this album (DoD, Paschendale, Montsegur) while Brave New World...well doesn't have any fillers but I don't have the same emotional link to it, FUCK IT, I'll choose with my brain and vote it, Dream of Mirrors is so damn good!

I personally think the last 4 albums are one of the best an old band like these could have made. Perhaps, you could say they sound tired, but they tried (and managed) to reinvent themselves after a more than average/mediocre decade (I kinda like The X Factor though, but it's not saving the 90s for 'em)

Please, before putting your vote in the designated area, try to listen to the albums if you haven't heard them recently and discuss the topic in a respectful/classy manner.

Wow, Im surprised that anybody over 20 had not ever heard of previous Iron Maiden albums, so Im guessing you are fairly young to heavy metal. So the subject, I like most of Iron Maidens 2k albums but it think the one that caused bigger impact was BNW. And to be quite honest, I dont think it had much to do with Bruce's return more than Adrian Smith's return to the song writing. I always felt a huge gap (musically) between Seventh Son and No prayer for the dying. While 7th son was a very polished and progresive album, No prayer was more laid back rock and roll overall..plus Janick is a hell of a shows man, but an average lead player IMO. BNW brought back a lot of the magic that was lost when Adrian left yet still sounding very fresh.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:47 pm 

Logan, Metantoine (and pretty much everyone else here) is perfectly familiar with old school Maiden. It's just that this thread is dedicated to the newer stuff.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:52 am 

@logan6511: Yeah, honestly, out of your 13 posts so far, about half of them were facepalm-worthy material, best described as "Captain Obvious missed the point". In your own words, I'm guessing you are fairly young to online forum discussions. Free advice: please read and make sure you understand at the very least the opening post of a thread or, ideally, the bulk of the existing discussion before you jump in to "enlighten" us. You might also want to ask yourself whether something qualifies as a personal analysis or whether it's a universal consensus (ie newsflash: you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who would argue against the dip in quality from Seventh Son to NPftD), but that's less of a priority, I guess. Welcome aboard, though. :D

Re: Excessively repetitive choruses on BNW... Guys, that's certainly true, but in what way would you say it's setting apart from the three albums that followed? They're even worst offenders of excessive repetition in general, including a number of choruses X 100.

AuditaTremendi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:09 am 

That's easy. Brave new World. The poll results reflect my own feelings,every Maiden album after BNW was getting worse and worse. Dance of Death
is still enjoyable,with some good songs but the last 2 are just boring garbage. Seems every song has to begin with the same mellow or acoustic
introduction. No fire,no adventurous songwriting. The last 2 albums are walking corpses. So booooring,so looong. Has it become so impossible for Steve Harris to write
a few galloping songs for a new album,like the oldtimers of the 80's? A mix of everything they've done in the past. There seems to be no fun,no desire to create awesome tunes
anymore. Some unexpected tempo changes,hooks. Three guitarists and no duels like the days of old? A joke.

I found Brave New World a decent comeback album of both Bruce and Maiden;a shame it went so downhill. Well,the steepness would suggest not a hill but a dive in a ravine.

And no. It's not that they've (just) become softer,slower or anything. I have a big collection that also includes stuff like Rush,Queen,Deep Purple,Thin Lizzy etc. so it has
more to do with the abscence of good compositions and hooks.

Since Steve Harris is more or less the big boss of the lot,i guess he's the most to blame for the musical misdirection of this once greatest heavy metal band on the planet.
Oh. And the album covers are terrible too.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:11 pm 

Brave New World.

But their newer albums could be pretty good if the songs were shorter. Not every single track has to be Fear of the Dark, for example, in TFF, five songs over eight minutes, come on, this isn't doom. I don't mind long songs when they are like, I don't know, The Piper Never Dies, but this is fucking boring, guys.

That being said, Coming Home and When the Wild Wind Blows are awesome. WtWWB has this incoming doom vibe, it's like the perfect closer.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:02 pm 

logan6511 wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
Fuck yes, Bruce is back!

My vote: Very hard! But I think I'll go with AMOLAD. I discovered Maiden with this album and I still think it's great, great epic songs like The Legacy and Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, while there's some fillers, I think it's more consistent than Dance of Death even if I prefer some of the individual songs on this album (DoD, Paschendale, Montsegur) while Brave New World...well doesn't have any fillers but I don't have the same emotional link to it, FUCK IT, I'll choose with my brain and vote it, Dream of Mirrors is so damn good!

I personally think the last 4 albums are one of the best an old band like these could have made. Perhaps, you could say they sound tired, but they tried (and managed) to reinvent themselves after a more than average/mediocre decade (I kinda like The X Factor though, but it's not saving the 90s for 'em)

Please, before putting your vote in the designated area, try to listen to the albums if you haven't heard them recently and discuss the topic in a respectful/classy manner.

Wow, Im surprised that anybody over 20 had not ever heard of previous Iron Maiden albums, so Im guessing you are fairly young to heavy metal. So the subject, I like most of Iron Maidens 2k albums but it think the one that caused bigger impact was BNW. And to be quite honest, I dont think it had much to do with Bruce's return more than Adrian Smith's return to the song writing. I always felt a huge gap (musically) between Seventh Son and No prayer for the dying. While 7th son was a very polished and progresive album, No prayer was more laid back rock and roll overall..plus Janick is a hell of a shows man, but an average lead player IMO. BNW brought back a lot of the magic that was lost when Adrian left yet still sounding very fresh.

Nowhere Metantoine has stated that he's not familiar with early Maiden. He has said that he discovered Maiden with AMOLAD. If you can't distinguish the meaning of these two different contexts then you should probably head back to nursery.

P.S - Metantoine has even made a poll on early Maiden albums and I've seen you commenting on that as well. So I wonder what made you to post this silly arse comment here! :scratch:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:16 pm 

I <3 you guys, but yeah Logan's reading comprehension is definitely not his forté despite his "dudes, I'm 38 years old and I know metal!" attitude. Lurk a bit more and learn the ways of the forum.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:44 pm 

I think the newer albums utilize the repetition of choruses really well, and the songwriting, while it's a bit long-winded, sure, is always captivating and catchy. Bruce really knows how to sell a repeated chorus line and make it sound powerful. This is something they got better at on AMOLAD and TFF, and refined their style very well for.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:48 pm 

If you compare the lyrics and song structures, BNW is the more karaoke friendly.
AMOLAD, more thought inducing, one for the thinkers :)

er, interesting album art for DoD, it deserves better

FF tied at present with AMOLAD :???: what's wrong with you?

Necessitarian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:54 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
Nowhere Metantoine has stated that he's not familiar with early Maiden. He has said that he discovered Maiden with AMOLAD. If you can't distinguish the meaning of these two different contexts then you should probably head back to nursery.

P.S - Metantoine has even made a poll on early Maiden albums and I've seen you commenting on that as well. So I wonder what made you to post this silly arse comment here! :scratch:

He writes "had never heard", not "has never heard". As in "he had never heard the earlier albums at the time of AMoLAD's release". Makes perfect sense to me. Maybe check out that nursery...

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:26 pm 

Necessitarian wrote:
Makes perfect sense to me.

No, it doesn't.
Is this the same guy with different accounts or do we have several anal retentive types on a single Maiden thread?

Who gives a flying fuck if Metantoine discovered Maiden as a teenager through A Matter of Life and Death?

Or does he need to post a picture of himself as a toddler wearing nothing but Huggies and the Piece of Mind cover tattooed on his chest to get metal creds?

Necessitarian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:33 pm 

Makes perfect sense grammatically. I don't care in the least if someone discovered maiden through AMoLAD or the self-titled one or whatever.

But yeah, truly anal retentive, trying to point out someone's unfounded accusations. People are so touchy.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:06 pm 

Necessitarian, don't nitpick a nitpicker, foo. :D A) Logan said "had not ever heard of previous Iron Maiden albums", which would be outright insulting if it weren't clear that the guy had zero clue as to whatever the fuck he was talking about, let alone who he was talking to; so your point is beyond useless. B) Much more importantly, what Riffs said, slightly nicer version: what are you defending Logan's post for, exactly? Trying to prove that the particular way doomster999 rebutted it wasn't the most grammatically sound approach, even when you know full well that the post in question was way off anyway? That's like nitpicking's final boss, man.

Necessitarian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:24 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
Necessitarian, don't nitpick a nitpicker, foo. :D A) Logan said "had not ever heard of previous Iron Maiden albums", which would be outright insulting if it weren't clear that the guy had zero clue as to whatever the fuck he was talking about, let alone who he was talking to; so your point is beyond useless. B) Much more importantly, what Riffs said, slightly nicer version: what are you defending Logan's post for, exactly? Trying to prove that the particular way doomster999 rebutted it wasn't the most grammatically sound approach, even when you know full well that the post in question was way off anyway? That's like nitpicking's final boss, man.

A) Why would that be insulting? Strictly considered, I hadn't heard of any of Maiden's albums in 2006.
B) I got, and still get, from logan6511's post that he meant it the way I explained in my first post. doomster999 seemed like a hypocrite for accusing him of not comprehending simple sentences while (arguably, depending on what that logan guy really meant) doing the same himself.

It's probably not the most important thing in the world though.

Medrix
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:50 pm 

I voted for The Final Frontier. The "Return of Bruce" era I find to be full of epics. The 80's and 90's had epics as well, but only a few on each album typically. Dance of Death has only two disappointing songs, Wildest Dreams and Gates of Tomorrow, the former only getting dull after a few listens and the latter being completely grating until you get used to it.

Brave New World only has The Mercenary to shake my head at, but only because it tries to stand up next to all the others. AMoLaD has the most solid consistent track listing, but Final Frontier has my favorite Maiden song ever in Coming Home.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:40 am 

Desperta_Ferro wrote:
Brave New World.

But their newer albums could be pretty good if the songs were shorter. Not every single track has to be Fear of the Dark, for example, in TFF, five songs over eight minutes, come on, this isn't doom. I don't mind long songs when they are like, I don't know, The Piper Never Dies, but this is fucking boring, guys.

That being said, Coming Home and When the Wild Wind Blows are awesome. WtWWB has this incoming doom vibe, it's like the perfect closer.

I get what doom is all about and it's appeal so don't bother reminding me after I say this, but isn't it funny how people accept end expect doom songs to be eight minutes worth of one to two riffs repeated over and over again, when those same people think long Maiden songs with actual variety can get especially tiresome?

doomster999

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:33 am 

Necessitarian wrote:
He writes "had never heard", not "has never heard". As in "he had never heard the earlier albums at the time of AMoLAD's release". Makes perfect sense to me. Maybe check out that nursery...

He may have said "had never heard", but what does this mean?

logan6511 wrote:
so Im guessing you are fairly young to heavy metal.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:37 am 

I voted for Brave New World, because I'm teh Wicker Mantis.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Necessitarian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:53 am 

doomster999 wrote:
Necessitarian wrote:

He may have said "had never heard", but what does this mean?

logan6511 wrote:
so Im guessing you are fairly young to heavy metal.

That he's guessing Metantoine is fairly new to heavy metal. He's supposedly a 38 y.o. dude and I guess anybody who hasn't been into metal for two decades is a newbie to him. This makes more sense than the alternative, that he meant Metantoine's (still) never heard previous Maiden albums; in which case being "fairly young to heavy metal" would be a given, pretty much.

Jeez, this is like bible studies.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:46 am 

Let's get back on track, please. Yes, I heard (and own) all of Maiden's albums and no I'm not a noob. /end

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

doomster999

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:50 am 

Necessitarian wrote:
That he's guessing Metantoine is fairly new to heavy metal. He's supposedly a 38 y.o. dude and I guess anybody who hasn't been into metal for two decades is a newbie to him. This makes more sense than the alternative, that he meant Metantoine's (still) never heard previous Maiden albums; in which case being "fairly young to heavy metal" would be a given, pretty much.

Jeez, this is like bible studies.

How do YOU know so much about logan6511's mindset?

Last.fm

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:58 am 

A Matter Of Life And Death is a solid and consistent record and it is what I chose. It was a bit difficult for me to like because I felt it was an incredible departure from classic Maiden but after giving it the time it deserves, it has actually become one of my favorite Maiden records. Brave New World, on the other hand, now bores me. Except for "Dream Of Mirrors"! That song's a beast. A dark and brooding beast! And I love it!

Necessitarian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:18 am 

doomster, who said I know anything about his mindset? I just made some reasonable assumptions based on his post. Sorry that I actually read what is said and try to understand it without getting ready to crucify the person. The only reason I ever made the first post was because of your hilarious hypocrisy.

But whatever, we've been told to move on, so let's move on.

doomster999

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:27 am 

Necessitarian wrote:
doomster, who said I know anything about his mindset? I just made some reasonable assumptions based on his post. Sorry that I actually read what is said and try to understand it without getting ready to crucify the person. The only reason I ever made the first post was because of your hilarious hypocrisy.

But whatever, we've been told to move on, so let's move on.

I've no idea about your definition of hypocrisy, the guy's just flatout stupid and I was pointing out his stupidity. As simple as that. End of discussion. Period.

Last.fm

Oberst_Orlok_SS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:36 am 

Why are there two Maiden polls going at the same time?

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:21 am 

One for the 80s albums and one for the 00s albums.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:03 pm 

The 80s album one ended a while ago.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 152346
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:21 pm 

I go with "A Matter of Life and Death"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:47 pm 

A few spins of The Final Frontier over the last few days have led me to assume my opinion was correct, and that it is still the best post-2000 Maiden album. ;) Gods, "The Talisman" is fucking powerful.

FateMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:32 am 

Voted Brave New World!
That album to me is perfection. I love all of Maiden's '80's work plus "The X Factor" and it seemed to be a while till they made another worthwhile record and that album turned out to be Brave New World. The rest just don't come close by a whole fucking mile.

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:55 am 

Just voted for AMOLAD.
I hear something new every time I play that record!

ThomasBear
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:54 am 

Final Frontier for me. Yes, his raspy voice is defijnitely beginning to show but goddamn the opening and closing tracks rock so hard.

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:50 am 

AMOLAD!
"Brighter than A Thousand Suns", "The Longest Day", "For The Greater Good of God" and "These Colours Don't Run" are all strong songs.
The only song I liked on "Dance Of Death" was "Paschendale" and "Brave New World" is great stuff but lately I prefer AMOLAD!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3