Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:58 pm 

lol@ people saying this sounds like groove metal. It was surprisingly fast and thrashy, which I liked. I've noticed while more bands are drop tuning lower than hell, there are also a few bands which have chosen to play in E or Eb standard, which I totally support (some stuff on the last Revocation EP could be played entirely on an E standard six string.) Finally, the production was a little tame for a suffo song, but it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be. I mean, relatively speaking, compered to some of the god awful prog shit out there, it doesn't sound too bad. The mix and EQ is good, but I'll agree the tone could have been better, and an analog recording would have been much better overall.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:08 pm 

That trailer sounds way better than the released full track. A bit more stoked now, which I was't really before.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:32 am 

CF_Mono wrote:
lol@ people saying this sounds like groove metal. It was surprisingly fast and thrashy, which I liked. I've noticed while more bands are drop tuning lower than hell, there are also a few bands which have chosen to play in E or Eb standard, which I totally support (some stuff on the last Revocation EP could be played entirely on an E standard six string.) Finally, the production was a little tame for a suffo song, but it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be. I mean, relatively speaking, compered to some of the god awful prog shit out there, it doesn't sound too bad. The mix and EQ is good, but I'll agree the tone could have been better, and an analog recording would have been much better overall.

?? were you talking about Suffo playing in E or Eb standard? They play down in C# if you were. But, yeah I get what you're saying.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:02 pm 

CF_Mono, where are you reading people saying that is sounds like groove metal? from all the responses here.. it's a complaint of the LACK of their signature groove and that it's much faster in the typical tech death style

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:22 pm 

I'll entertain the possibility that this song isn't necessarily indicative of how the rest will be, although an entire album in this kind of uptempo style would be an interesting choice to me. Going off of the songlengths (Beginning of Sorrow notwithstanding,) it's a comparatively shorter album so there is that to take into account. We'll get more of the picture and perhaps at least one more song as the release date gets closer. At the end of the day this is still a quality taste of the album as far as I'm concerned and if the sleeker production is its only real albatross once it hits and we all pass judgement, it's still a solid 21st century Suffocation album by that regard.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:24 am 

https://soundcloud.com/nuclearblastreco ... -cycles-of

New song. Cycles of Suffering. I like it more than I do the other one. The riffing style of the two songs are definitely the most "modern" sounding Suffocation stuff since the reunion. I think it's Culross's drumming too; it's such a different style from Mike Smith's that it completely changes the feel of a song compared to how Mike would do it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:31 am 

Love the technical aspects and fills that remind me of their 2006 album, its a furious song that would shit on anything that they recorded on Blood Oath. Dave Culross has already proven that he can be just as great as Mike Smith, you've gotta love his skill with the double bass and the constant changing of the drums. This is going to be one of the best death metal albums of this year.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:58 am 

Veracs and Subrick are both right, Culross's presence is really notable here. This is definitely more Suffocationy than "As Grace Descends", but there's an entirely different character to how Dave Culross drums in comparison to Mike Smith. Dave's more "normal" I guess, since Mike is well known for his weird, off-kilter timings and atypical fills and whatnot, whereas with Dave you'll hear more straightfoward blasts and double bass patterns more frequently. That said, they both own hard, they're just different beasts with a different signature flair.

For the record, I'd rather have Dave Culross on board if only for his attitude.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:06 am 

After listening to the two songs again I really do think that they specifically changed their riff style to accommodate Culross's drumming. The riffing is very "modern" in comparison to even Blood Oath, and it definitely better compliments Culross's style than it would Mike Smith's style.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:14 am 

Not an issue with me considering Despise the Sun is just as good as anything else during their first incarnation, and it's by far the simplest thing they'd done up to that point. Basically I'm even more pumped for this album now.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

IdiotFlesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:45 am 

Wow, the mixing and the sound of all the instruments sounds decidedly better on the trailer than on that first track released last year, and the new track is fantastic. I hear that classic Suffo riffage in this one. I'm excited for this release now.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:33 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
CF_Mono, where are you reading people saying that is sounds like groove metal? from all the responses here.. it's a complaint of the LACK of their signature groove and that it's much faster in the typical tech death style

MalignantTyrant wrote:
CF_Mono wrote:

?? were you talking about Suffo playing in E or Eb standard? They play down in C# if you were. But, yeah I get what you're saying.

Well, I'm sorry, I guess I read a lot of comments like that on soundcloud or youtube with people saying the song sounded groovy and/or composed on higher tuned guitars.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:37 am 

Cycles of Suffering just put this in the mandatory pile.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:44 am 

cultofkraken wrote:
Cycles of Suffering just put this in the mandatory pile.

I'll say! I didn't care much for Blood Oath and the art for this wasn't giving me hopes, but man that song kicked my ass. Reminds me of Despise the Sun a bit, but that's probably because of Culross.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:49 am 

Far happier with this 2nd song. All my complaints have been addressed, there is some suffo-signature groove... the production sounds more on line with what I expected them to sound like. Though it is still faster paced overall I'm much happier. I'm now on board.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:45 pm 

Now that's a song I am proud to call a Suffocation song! The skeleton riff throughout the track is not only crushing but also engaging. I'm so hooked on it that I can't stop bobbing my head to it. I agree with what some of you have mentioned about the drums. They stand out while the other instruments are doing their thing...I can hear more varied fills and the blastbeats are well placed too. Good job, Suffo.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:09 am 

I think Dave Culross inspired new life in this band. The style of the guitar riffs in "Cycles of Suffering" isn't that different from the self-titled; but since Dave Culross has a more varied arsenal and is faster paced, he gives the rest of the band more opportunity to make their songs (edit:interesting) engaging.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:51 am 

I prefer the earlier released track. Cycles of Suffering isn't bad but it's very predictable and self titled sounding. I think they need to change it up at this stage and incorporate different elements like Napalm Death, maybe not as extreme but certainly headed in that direction would be good. I hope there is enough variety to keep my interested because although Blood Oath was good, songs tended to blend into one another and be mostly forgettable.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:30 pm 

Have to disagree with you totally which I know I'm not alone on that. But also I really didn't care for the last Napalm Death album cause of the incorporating different elements and the over use of some groove that really did sound like korn to me. So i rather a band retread over and over again than add new elements cause to me.... 90% of the time leads to failure.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:44 am 

I don't like it since all I see is an evil version of Dr. Zoidberg. But maybe that's just me, anyway.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:54 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
I don't like it since all I see is an evil version of Dr. Zoidberg. But maybe that's just me, anyway.

maybe the album will have a 2 second intro of "wubwubwubwub"

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:43 am 

Not bad, but not yet amazing. I don't know. Something's lacking....

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Tempered_Steel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:18 pm 

I dig it.

emperorjvl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:51 am 

Wish they got Doug Bohn again instead. There's this part in "The Invoking" I just can't figure how the hell the guy did it. Oh well.

Night_Moves
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:21 am 

I agree pretty much with all the above statements regarding the artwork being terrible. I much prefer hight-detail, hand drawn album covers so this latest Suffo record would come across as pretty generic to anyone not in the know. Of the tracks I've heard, "Cycles Of Suffering" is really sick, but does sound very modern for Suffocation. Prefer the old "raw" sounding death metal production, but I'm liking Frank's vocals on these new tracks.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:51 am 

Cycles of Suffering was good, that other one not so much...anyway the last 2 Suffo records werent that great, hope this will change that

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:30 am 

It leaked. Really enjoying it. Gonna download it on amazon on tuesday.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:09 pm 

Got the album on right now. Very good piece of business from the band.

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:14 pm 

Certainly an improvement from Blood Oath if you ask me. Sullen Days is damn awesome.

Xithyl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:15 pm 

It's better than the last two, but falls short of Souls to Deny for me.

I'll still spin it now and again.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:27 pm 

^ I've spun it a couple of times. Pretty strong album compared to Blood Oath. I wouldn't compare this to 'Souls to Deny' or the earlier stuff because I look at that as a different era. That's just me. Will post more thoughts later as I listen to this piece over the weekend.

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:02 pm 

The past couple of days I have been spinning Pierced From Within and Breeding The Spawn. So its safe to say I am definitely in the Suffocation state of mind right now. I have read nothing but good things about Pinnacle Of Bedlam. I can't wait to get my hands on this.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:28 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQthrTOIw6s

My full thoughts on the record. Needless to say, I fucking love it.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:22 pm 

Wouldve been a good cover too, except for that font.

Xithyl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:38 pm 

The album title font, much like the single title font on that art, is pretty terrible.

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:53 pm 

Subrick wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQthrTOIw6s

My full thoughts on the record. Needless to say, I fucking love it.

Thanks for posting. That was a very informative review and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:48 pm 

The font looks like a metalcore logo.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:51 pm 

I don't get all the hate for Blood Oath. That's like my second favorite Suffocation album. There were several amazing moments in Blood Oath, especially the songs "Blood Oath", "Dismal Dream" and "Cataclysmic Purification" (which they played live last Saturday). Yeah, I got to see them play live a few days ago and they played "As Grace Descends" live as well.

I'd personally much prefer Mike Smith drumming for Suffocation, since he was a huge part of the early innovative sound of this band and I think he's one of the best drummers in death metal. His style is very unique and relentlessly powerful and pummeling, which I love.

As for the new track, I don't think it's that great really. It would easily be the worst song on Blood Oath if it were on that record. But, I'll definitely be listening to the rest of the album very soon, so we'll see. Suffocation also said they'd be coming back around and playing more songs off the new album in a few months, so I look forward to that.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:01 pm 

I think this is better than the shitfest that was Blood Oath, but I still don't like it as much as the S/T or Souls to Deny, it is certainly good album. I'm surprised by the amount of hate the S/T gets these days, it was pretty well received when it came out, and it has the off kilter grittiness to it which this album lacks for me. It's luckily not a boring album like the last one, but it's a bit too clean for what I like in my Suffo. I don't particularly miss Smith, I found him a bit obnoxious with his blast beat timings from time to time, but this guy is definitely not my pick for a replacement, he's a bit too straight forward, would have preferred Doug Bohn myself, but not that my unrealistic day dreaming means anything. This a good, respectable effort, which doesn't really impress in any particular way.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:07 pm 

I don't think Suffocation have released anything that would even remotely qualify as a "shitfest", I think all of their albums are at least solid/decent. But, that just has a lot to do with me loving their style so much.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next