Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:18 pm 

This will be a bit less general than my last thread, which basically asked for melodeath. I find myself having a certain interest in certain forms of industrial metal lately, especially the experimental kind that draws from black and death, but retains the distorted harshness from the industrial side. I'm not very big on industrial metal in general, and don't take well to straight industrial metal acts, so this is a bit difficult for me to describe, save for pointing to the bands that I already have and enjoy as examples:

I suppose Zaraza could have an honourary mention here for the sounds that they employ, but, having so much to do with funeral and death/doom, they don't really represent what I'm looking for at the moment.

Example songs:

Gatherum wrote:
Havoc Unit
"مبيد الدّيدان [Vermicide]"
"When Children Are No Longer Enough [C.oitus O.rgasm C.atholic K.ids]"

Tyrant of Death
"Transmogrification"
"Stapled Shut & Bled to Death"

Admittedly, I have no tracks to offer from S4D because I just found that there are no tracks by them on Youtube. It's a collaboration between two people from Tyrant of Death and Return to Base though, so you can imagine that it sounds rather similar to the former.

What else could I be rounding out my library with?

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Last edited by Schmengie on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:35 pm 

Nobody knows? :P

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:50 pm 

Im not familiar with the bands you mentioned, but heres my two cents.

Aborym (black metal with lot is programming), Blacklodge (same thing but not as good IMO)

Then there are the "urban" BM bands like "the work..." era Blut aus Nord, axis of perdition, Heleil, N.K.V.D., etc. these bands are less about using computer noises and more about creating a cold, mechanical, industrial atmosphere.

Hope that helps

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:49 pm 

Could you post a couple youtube links for the bands you listen to already? I'm not familiar with them either, and I can't really tell what the names of the top two bands are.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:16 pm 

Havoc Unit
"مبيد الدّيدان [Vermicide]"
"When Children Are No Longer Enough [C.oitus O.rgasm C.atholic K.ids]"

Tyrant of Death
"Transmogrification"
"Stapled Shut & Bled to Death"

Admittedly, I have no tracks to offer from S4D because I just found that there are no tracks by them on Youtube. It's a collaboration between two people from Tyrant of Death and Return to Base though, so you can imagine that it sounds rather similar to the former.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:36 pm 

Whoa, they're awesome. You might like Mechina, although they aren't as abrasive. Reminds me of Godflesh too, but they may not be Death metal-y enough. You should also try "Slave Design" by Sybreed and maybe "Antares" as well.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:09 pm 

I love Mechina. :D

Didn't include them because they're more overtly orchestral than anything else. The industrial only really comes out in their guitar tone. Good suggestion though. :)

Godflesh, I remember not liking the vocals. It's been a while though. Link me to something, maybe?

Used to have Sybreed. It's all right, but not quite what I'm looking for.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:59 pm 

I'm not too familiar with Godflesh and I just gave them another listen. Turns out they're not quite what I remembered. Might as well give you some links though, since I brought them up and as I understand it, they were one of the pioneers of Industrial metal.

From their album Slavestate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HVuqrilCM8

From their last album, Hymns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2VJTIsMDAE

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:31 am 

Try Red Harvest circa 2000 - 2006 as well as Tristwood (all albums). Also Umbah (the last three albums).

And kinda obvious but if you havent heard it : Fear Factory

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:00 pm 

Hesperus Dimension had reminded me a bit of Havoc Unit in the past, but you may have a hard getting a hold of their music although they have some songs up on their myspace: http://www.myspace.com/hdimension

Also, you probably know this all ready but Havoc Unit used to be ...and Oceans. The ellipsis is part of the band's name in case anyone was wondering whether that was for dramatic effect on my part or if I momentarily fell asleep at the keyboard.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:04 am 

check out the amenta i think they might suit what you are looking for especially their upcoming album(which comes out march we only heard one song from it but its sounding like it is what your looking for)

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:50 pm 

You might like the following bands:

Landfill - an older US band that was on Wild Rags for a long while. They mixed industrial beats and noises with death metal. Influenced equal parts by early Godflesh and OSDM.

Cynicon - a newish band that is a mix of extreme metal and industrial metal. They have some similarities to Havoc Unit from what I'm hearing. You may like their full-length.

Terra::POLARIS - another industrial/extreme metal band that has noticeable Thorns influence, but is a unique entity unto itself. They have some commonalities with Havoc Unit as well I'd say, but again are pretty unique.

Reply to topic