Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:44 pm 

Hey Zodi, think you could sticky this for future reference whenever someone posts a thread regarding free amp sims? Think this would be a great resource for amp simulators.

In terms of amp simulation software, you're much better off going with free programs than you are paying for something. Guitar Rig has relatively lifeless tone, as mentioned in a post above. If you're dead set on paying for amp sims, then get Amplitube 3. It's expensive but completely worth it. You can definitely get a good tone with it, but it takes lots of time. If you choose that program, then play with the micing of cabs and try different microphones. What I would suggest is going through each microphone and listening to for subtle differences in them.

If you're okay with getting free amp sims (and who isn't?) then here's a list of all the ones I've used that are worth anything (as well as other plugins that are essential for good tone:

LePou
~ LeGion (original amp model from Poulin; it's great for rhythms, but I wouldn't use it for leads)
~ LeCto (supposed to be modeled off a Mesa Boogie Double Rectifier, I think. It does the job great, and has two different drive settings. Both are pretty high gain, so you could probably find something you like out of this)
~ LeXTAC (this amp is creamy sounding, but very high gain. It's awesome for thick leads that cut through the mix)
~ Hybrit (this is a great british Class A amplifier meant to model 70's Marshall sounds. With a Tubescreamer plugin, it can be used to attain a really thick, doomy tone)
~ Le456 (this is an Engl Fireball model. The GUI isn't exactly my favourite aspect of this amp, but it's pretty good at modeling the high gain and the punch of the Fireball)
~ SoloC (this is a Soldano amp model. It's sort of like the LeGion almost, but it's got more versatility in the tones you can get. I haven't played with this one too much, honestly.)

Ignite Amps
~ NRR-1 (If there was ever an amp that should be mandatory to have in your collection of sims, it's this one. It's clean tone is GOD LIKE, and it can only be rivaled by the clean tones I've gotten with Amplitube 3. It's absolutely fantastic. It's got really great drive too, but clean is definitely it's strongest point, hands down.)
~ The Anvil (I think, personally, this is a weaker version of the NRR-1, but it's still got some strengths about it. Haven't used it too much since it's pretty resource heavy.)

TSE
~ TSE X50 (this is a Peavey 5150 amp sim, supposedly, but I think the sound and design is a bit closer to the 6505. Calling it great doesn't do this amp justice; it's probably one of the best free amp sims I've used, and it's got monster gain. My only complaint is that it's incredibly resource heavy compared to other amp sims, so keep that in mind. It's still definitely worth the download.)
~ TSE X30 (this is an ENGL Tube Preamp 530 model. This thing is like the X50 but just a step under it. It's really great, and has really colourful distortion, as well as a great EQ section. Probably still my favourite amp sim.)

Stuff you MUST get
~ TSE 808 (Excellent Tubescreamer 808 sim, and it's fantastic. It's got the tone right, doesn't cut too much low end like other TS plugins, and boosts the signal.)
~ LeCab (this is an impulse loader from LePou. LeCab 2 is also out, but I think LeCab is simpler to use if you're not recording. There are MANY MANY MANY impulses from many different cabs all around the internet. PM me if you want some links)

Other Notable Amp Sims
~ Peavey ReValver mk3 (this is an official Peavey software in which their most famous amps are modeled, along with some generic stomp pedals, and a great option to mod the amps to your liking by changing the tubes, adding tubes, changing tonestacks, etc.)
~ Ronald Passion (first thing you should do is turn off the cabs since they're pretty garbage. Next, get LeCab or LeCab 2 and load some cab impulses of your own. It's great for dirty drive tones, but just get rid of the stock cabs!)
~ Simulanalog Guitarsuite (this comes with a Marshall JCM900 sim, a Fender Twin Reverb sim, a Tubescreamer plugin, and various other famous effects. Don't download it from the official download page. Instead, get it from Requietus)

Lol

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:03 pm 

I haven't used any VST amp sims in a while, but I recall two good sets called Canadian Metal and Nick Crow, I believe mattp recommended them. He posted a lot of good advice on VST amp sims a few years ago.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:05 pm 

I remember using the Nick Crow amps and thinking they were inferior to a lot of the Poulin amps. Also, the Canadian Metal set I know about. There's also this killer suite from a company I can't remember, but I just remember that you could frankenstein amps as well with custom sounds. I'm gonna try digging it up.

Adding Nick Crow amps after some revisiting.

Lol

Goran
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:27 pm 

Don't forget the TSE X40. Nice beastie, that.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:20 pm 

X40? I've never heard of it, much less used it. I must check this out! Will add it to the list once I try it out for sure.

Lol

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:55 am 

I use all the stuff listed in the OP. Good stuff!! Right now my favorite is probably the Legion along with the TSE 808 of course. Gotta get that clean gain boost.

Though not free, I also like supplementing whats been listed with Recabinet 3 which I got for $14 (it was a huge discount). Quite a sweet piece of virtual kit.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Goran
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:57 am 

Also interesting would be links to free cabinet impulses, for folks that start out with VST amps.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:03 pm 

I would also throw out the keFIR loader. LeCab allows for more experimentation in the way it allows you to load several different impulses, but keFIR is the most accurate loader you'll get for free.

The best impulses, IMO, are the GuitarHack impulses and the Sperimental impulses. The tone you get from the Framus impulse in the Sperimental pack is great.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:39 pm 

if you search, I made a post like the original one in here, along with some sound clips of what those amps sound like.

sibraa6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:55 am 

Are any of these standalone software? I can only see mostly VST's, but looking for standalone like Pod Farm haha

Goran
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:49 am 

sibraa6 wrote:
Are any of these standalone software?

All the free stuff isn't. Maybe one of the commercial packets (like Guitar Rig) has a standalone exe.

sibraa6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:08 am 

Ah okay, I use a UX2 with Pod Farm 2 usually, but it doesn't run too well through VST's, latency issues even with tweaking the buffer size and all.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:15 pm 

Have you tried changing the drivers? ASIO4ALL usually sorts out latency.

Goran
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:46 pm 

Yeah, unless your PC is a decade old or you have many, many VSTs loaded, you shouldn't suffer latency.

sibraa6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:38 pm 

got ASIO, PC isn't old, but it's not new either, but yes, I do have many VST's which is probably the issue. About 60 gig of them, hahaha

Goran
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:23 am 

sibraa6 wrote:
About 60 gig of them, hahaha

I meant: loaded in the active project. ;)

sibraa6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:03 am 

Close enough, superior drummer is 20 or so and EastWest is about the same, as well as piano VST's generally loaded and all. A shame, haha

Dubhar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:30 am 

Nice work man, your list really helped me when I was just starting to fill my VST folder.

If anybody dislikes DI-ing their basses, Ignite Amps are also doing a bass amp called SHB-1 these days. I've not used it a whole lot yet, but it's the only free bass amp VST I've come across. Only problem I've had with it is trying to find impulses that don't take out half of the low end.

Reply to topic