Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:36 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
the new Grave Upheaval

:beer:
Add new Impetuous Ritual and you have the unholy trifecta.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:11 am 

GravityLapse wrote:
Dragunov wrote:
the new Grave Upheaval

:beer:
Add new Impetuous Ritual and you have the unholy trifecta.

+1. Hell, yes. That would be glorious beyond words.

ThomasBear wrote:
Might have to check this out. Saw them the other week supporting Marduk. Very fast, very technical, very loud and very furious. Definitely one of the strangest bands I've ever seen (playing entirely in black hoods of course)

The Curator's head-dress I believe was a Medieval double henin princess-type thing. I've got a shaky video on my blog from my phone (no sound) showing the Curator and one of the guitarists in action.

Going by your blog there, I was at the same show. It was a truly incredible performance; I was in the front row, absolutely immersed in their sound. I'm very happy to be hearing this new record after that experience, which reminded me of why I adore their sound so much. I've gotta say that I do enjoy this new album - as others have noted, it's less chaotically churning, but still recognisably Portal-esque; I have to listen to it a few more times to fully absorb it, but I'm so far not disappointed in the least.

Oh, and re that head-dress - from what I heard, it's meant to resemble a kafia-type thing, but it definitely appears to be a Medieval double-henin (even has the ribbons along the, well, whatever you call it); not sure if that's a mistake on their part.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:24 am 

Either way, princesslike or not I reckon it works well enough with dull backlighting and a gang of executioners surrounding.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:41 am 

Oh, yeah, definitely; utterly, breathtakingly disturbing. Like I said, I was in the front row when they supported Marduk (yeah, I'll keep repeating that; probably my highlight of the year so far); even though I was close enough to see the shoes under the robe - odd little moment, haha - his presence was incredible on stage, and the Medieval headdress was eerier than a kafia would've been, I think.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:53 am 

Haha its worth repeating though, I was up up the front also, but on the other side of the stage (I think I recognised you, /sounding like a creepy guy) so I was a fair way from the vocalist, I'm glad they didn't have a barrier there, made it all the more immense.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:29 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Haha its worth repeating though, I was up up the front also, but on the other side of the stage (I think I recognised you, /sounding like a creepy guy) so I was a fair way from the vocalist, I'm glad they didn't have a barrier there, made it all the more immense.

I saw them at a gig prior to this and some guy up the front was flicking the curtain back and forth like a dick, he was drunk as most are but there's no excuse for trying to ruin their stage presence. I desperately wanted The Curator to come up and kick his head in, that would have been hilarious.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:32 am 

I've heard they're pretty harsh on show ruiners so that sounds plausible, but that curtain is an excellent part of their aura and that drunk asshole would have been a detriment

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:34 am 

Calusari wrote:
Oh, yeah, definitely; utterly, breathtakingly disturbing. Like I said, I was in the front row when they supported Marduk (yeah, I'll keep repeating that; probably my highlight of the year so far); even though I was close enough to see the shoes under the robe - odd little moment, haha - his presence was incredible on stage, and the Medieval headdress was eerier than a kafia would've been, I think.

Dunno why, but that had me in stitches.
Never seen them live, reckon it would be a nice experience.

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:58 am 

Can't wait for the album to release! I've seen them before for their Swarth shows and it'll be great to see them play some new ones in the Vexovoid costumes, especially after the disaster that happened last year. Without going into what happened, I missed Portal when the Curator had this awesome Cthulhu-like costume. :mad: Now there's no way I'm going to miss them again!

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:36 am 

Never ever miss portal, a lesson I learned quickly.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:43 am 

seeing them live was amazing i saw them at the bald faced stag and was right infront of the curator and nothing compares

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:37 pm 

Well Vexovoid leaked and it is pretty awesome. I will probably pick this one up when it officially releases. Pretty typical portal stuff which is not a bad thing at all.

ThomasBear
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:15 am 

Apparently at a previous gig some time ago he was wearing a pointy witch hat of sorts. This was at a small venue and I'm told there was a lull in volume between songs. Then came the heckle: "Go Gryffindor!

Aftermath1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:50 pm 

Anyone know of a good site to pre-order the album from? The Profound Lore store doesn't seem to have it.

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:58 am 

Aftermath1349 wrote:
Anyone know of a good site to pre-order the album from? The Profound Lore store doesn't seem to have it.

http://www.midheaven.com/item/vexovoid-by-portal-cd

That's where I pre order most Profound Lore stuff, they're really reliable and ship a week before release date typically.

Aftermath1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:31 am 

Thank you.

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:41 am 

Profound Lore has it available now, if it wasn't listed before.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4