Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:08 pm 

I guess now he can fully focus on Queensryche!

http://www.bravewords.com/news/198498

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:35 pm 

A bit saddening, but it sounds as if he was very justified in doing so... and knowing Jon Drenning, this comes as no real surprise.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:48 pm 

Crimson Glory? That band that quit like 20 years ago?

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:00 pm 

what a surprise
*cough*
*cough*

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:06 pm 

Yeah, I've been waiting for this news for a while. Once he joined Queensrÿche, it was inevitable. Maybe Geoff Tate will join Crimson Glory now, and John Arch will take over Geoff Tate's Queensrÿche. :-P

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:13 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
Maybe Geoff Tate will join Crimson Glory now, and John Arch will take over Geoff Tate's Queensrÿche. :-P

Now that though is out there and cannot be taken back. :|

Last edited by Metal_Detector on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:19 pm 

I'm not really surprised, as he seems to be very focused on Queensryche. It's not like Crimson Glory were up to anything though, not to mention that I doubt they'll ever manage to even get close to the level of their first two albums, so..... Yep, I say more power to him.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:51 pm 

Man, CG just aren't ever getting anywhere else. Very doubtful they'll ever put out any new material at this point.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:53 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Man, CG just aren't ever getting anywhere else. Very doubtful they'll ever put out any new material at this point.

I agree. I've held in there for years now, but I think this was the last straw.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:03 pm 

I love Todd's facebook page because he posts like a real person rather than a PR mouthpiece. Hadn't heard this yet, but it's hardly surprising. The guy seems to be treating Queensryche like his life's calling more than just a job.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:36 pm 

Not surprised. Crimson Glory hasn't actually released anything since he joined.
What IS the point of getting a replacement for your dead vocalist if you aren't going to bother making albums?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:14 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Not surprised. Crimson Glory hasn't actually released anything since he joined.
What IS the point of getting a replacement for your dead vocalist if you aren't going to bother making albums?

From the sound of things it just has been a really slow process, but I see what you mean - have they played many shows since he joined? I guess they saw themselves as doing more than they have done.

Honestly, I'd like to see La Torre singing in a band he has formed as opposed to as a replacement for retired/dead vocalists, but it is his legacy to build anyway he sees fit. I did think he was younger than he is, though.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:24 pm 

They really dropped the ball by not recording an album with LaTorre while they had him. I honestly think that the Crimson Glory guys can write a better album at this point than the remainder of the QR guys can, based off of the clips I've heard so far of the new material :ugh:

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:28 pm 

novakm wrote:
They really dropped the ball by not recording an album with LaTorre while they had him. I honestly think that the Crimson Glory guys can write a better album at this point than the remainder of the QR guys can, based off of the clips I've heard so far of the new material :ugh:

Yeah, I do wonder about 'Ryche. I mean, Tate and the other guys were all part of the good records and the bad records (sans Lundgren and DeGarmo, of course) - and both seem to blame the other side for the records not being that good. Obviously I'll withhold judgement until I hear the final project, but I wonder if both sides of the creative force peaked with the old good albums, and neither is to blame exclusively for the downfall.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:34 pm 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
novakm wrote:

Yeah, I do wonder about 'Ryche. I mean, Tate and the other guys were all part of the good records and the bad records (sans Lundgren and DeGarmo, of course) - and both seem to blame the other side for the records not being that good. Obviously I'll withhold judgement until I hear the final project, but I wonder if both sides of the creative force peaked with the old good albums, and neither is to blame exclusively for the downfall.

Based off of the interviews I've read from both sides, Tate and his lackeys (Mike Stone, Kelly Gray, Jason Slater, etc) were responsible for the majority of Q2K onwards, but I wouldn't be surprised if the other 4 are rusty and out-of-touch with what fans of the band are looking for. I think Astronomica or whatever would have been better with a different vocalist and/or vocal approach.

That being said, I REALLY want this upcoming QR album to rule, but I have a feeling that, unlike Alice in Chains, they won't live up to expectations. :(

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:11 am 

The things that make me optimistic about the new Queensyche record:

1. I know the blame for the later material must probably be split but I also know Geoff Tate is batshit crazy, which makes me think he has a larger responsibility.

2. I love the setlists they have used since La Torre joined. Makes me think they at least are well aware of what their fans want and what they value in the Ryche legacy.

3. It seems like the guys really went through hell with Geoff Tate. And being deep in shit often leads to hungry bands writing better material than comfortable success.

As far as Crimson Glory is concerned, it really sucks that they never seized the opportunity of using such a great frontman on newer material. There's just no excuse but procrastination. La Torre isn't getting any younger and has no recorded legacy. There no time to lose in a second tier band at this point in his life.

Besides, fronting two bands is awkward.

Maybe this will be the kick in the ass Crimson Glory needed to find a singer and record material, maybe it will be the final nail in the coffin.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:33 am 

Well, well... I'll have an order of all of what Riffs just said, please. :D

The only two half-cents I have left to add are these:

Riffs wrote:
Besides, fronting two bands is awkward...

...even more so when they're two rival bands originally from the same scene and both in desperate need of a redeeming new release and a new, iconic frontman.

One pretty massive difference between the two is that CG still has its Chris Degarmo, however.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:13 pm 

Another thing to consider is that, provided Crimson Glory do continue and get a new singer, that opens up the possibility of a Queensrÿche / Crimson Glory tour. :metal:

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:01 pm 

I still haven't listened to much Crimson Glory, but I'm not too surprised about this move. Queensryche has done more in months than Crimson Glory's most recent reunion has done in years and I am noticing more hunger in Queensryche's attitude and performances. My expectations for a new album are somewhere on the Empire/Tribe level but it can't be any worse than Dedicated To Chaos or anything that Geoff Tate's new band comes up with...

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:40 pm 

And everyone is surprised!

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:01 am 

I don't think it's being surprised so much as it is being disheartened. At least one album with Todd by now or in the very near future would have been nice, even if nothing else with him would have come after.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:23 am 

So recently I've been getting back into USPM again, and of course I've been drawn back to the proggy classic Fates, Ryche, CG, Heir Apparent albums, all that stuff. I hadn't paid much attention to the details of Tate leaving Queensryche, but now that I've been made aware of the existence of this Todd La Torre dude everything has changed! This guy's pipes are incredible, he's absolutely perfect in conveying that white collar metal style, very sincere as well. I guess it's yet to be seen whether Queensryche will write great songs like they did so many years ago again, but if they're playing old songs again and really getting into it, I have hope for them. Really bummed that a new Crimson Glory album didn't pan out because I probably like their classics more than Queensryche. But regardless, this is an awesome discovery I've been missing out on. Just a few years ago I'd scoff every time I saw them playing nearby (which seemed surprisingly often) because I have no interest in their new crap. But with this new guy singing? I'd be extremely interested in seeing that.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Reply to topic