Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:43 pm 

Surprised that no one has posted anything yet, but there are 2 Black Flag quasi-reunions happening. Here are the two line ups:

Black Flag:
Greg Ginn - Guitar
Ron Reyes - Vocals
Dale Nixon (Greg Ginn) - Bass
Gregory Moore - Drums

FLAG:
Keith Morris - Vocals
Chuck Dukowski - Bass
Bill Stevenson - Drums
Stephen Egerton - Guitar
Dez Cadena - Guitar

I know that Greg was the driving force behind Black Flag, but his post-BF stuff leaves a lot to desired. He says his line up is going to tour and put out a new record. The FLAG line up is pure nostalgia, but I think I'd be more inclined to see them than Greg's version. Any thoughts?

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:53 pm 

Keith, Chuck, Dez, and Bill lineup is obviously the best...funny that Greg wants to do what he's doing with this, when I met him a few months ago he didn't express any interest in doing this sort of thing...

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:13 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
Keith, Chuck, Dez, and Bill lineup is obviously the best...funny that Greg wants to do what he's doing with this, when I met him a few months ago he didn't express any interest in doing this sort of thing...

I'm pretty sure Greg knew the Flag thing was in the works and this is his response. He pulled out the whole cat charity reunion after Henry did the WM3 Benefit. Chuck called Greg "pathologically competitive". I think his thinking is like "Oh, these guys think their gonna do Black Flag? I'll show them the real thing" because Greg thinks he's all Black Flag and everyone else involved was lucky to be apart of his thing (according to Keith).

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:24 pm 

Jesus fucking christ. Dale Nixon. The fucking tape recorder/mannequin again? I'd be more upset with Greg Ginn if he wasn't such a good dude about cats.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:51 pm 

I'm thinking about going to Punk Rock Bowling this year in Vegas, I'm not sure about the reunion(?) but the rest of the festival looks good.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:07 pm 

So...

The real Black Flag in 2013 is essentially Gone with Chavo? This is somewhat interesting, but as for whatever they put out as new material, I can't imagine it'll be anything at all like Damaged or prior. I fully expect it to be discordant experimental rock ala In My Head or Gone (maybe somewhere in between ala My War or Slip It In). Which is fine by me, because I LOVE late period Flag.

As for Flag, it's a cover band, no more, no less. A fun, awesome, and legit one, but a cover band nonetheless.

TadGhostal wrote:
FLAG:
Dez Cadena - Guitar

What's the sauce on this? Because I had heard about Morris/Chuck/Stevenson/Egerton, but nothing about Dez. If true, that's awesome. I'd rather Dez be involved in this over The Misfits at this point.

TadGhostal wrote:
I'm pretty sure Greg knew the Flag thing was in the works and this is his response. He pulled out the whole cat charity reunion after Henry did the WM3 Benefit. Chuck called Greg "pathologically competitive". I think his thinking is like "Oh, these guys think their gonna do Black Flag? I'll show them the real thing" because Greg thinks he's all Black Flag and everyone else involved was lucky to be apart of his thing (according to Keith).

Well, Ginn is Black Flag and there's hardly any dispute. He wrote nearly everything, funded SST, booked the tours, etc. As for the competitive aspect, it makes sense-he probably feels that these ex members are misappropriating his creative assets.

godsonsafari wrote:
Jesus fucking christ. Dale Nixon. The fucking tape recorder/mannequin again? I'd be more upset with Greg Ginn if he wasn't such a good dude about cats.

Yeah, it's surely a bit lame. I hope that there's someone to fill the void live (maybe C'el?) and Ginn keeps the Nixon gag for the recording.

Ultimately, I'm not too excited about all this. My old bandmates trekked from NJ to CA for the 2003 shows, and were only entertained by the absurdity of what they were seeing. I'm sure Ginn's album will be an interesting listen, but will it be a good album? Time will tell. I'll go see Flag if they come around my way.

The only Black Flag reunion lineup I can truly get excited about is Ginn, Rollins, Kira, and Stevenson. That was the most creatively intense lineup in the history of this band. But, I'll be holding my breath a very, very long time for that :lol:.
Obliteration

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:11 pm 

Dez's participation was just announced today.

Supposedly, Greg will have a real bass player for live shows. The Dale Nixon thing is just for the recording.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:39 pm 

WELL Greg is kinda Black Flag, and I'm certainly glad if they decide to release new material.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:04 pm 

You know, it would be one thing if we couldn't get proper reunification shows or tours of these bands best lineups because the guys were too principled as artists to make a quick buck, but instead it ends up that they all have bullshit problems with one another and so we get fucked up zombie bands and lousy reunions and the like. I'd prefer neither FLAG or Ginn's version of Black Flag (that will probably be all fucked up) exist at this point unless they can all get together and actually agree on some shit like adults. Instead, its like watching Jerry Only and Glenn Danzig keep flushing money down the drain year after year. Why care after a certain point?

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:00 pm 

Semi related note, I just heard a track from Ginn's new project Good For You with Mike V. (you know, the pro skateboarder pseudovocalist who did the whole My War album alongside Ginn and "Dale Nixon" during the 2003 shows) and....jeesh. Hopefully any new music released as Black Flag is not too reminiscent of this. Yikes.
Obliteration

Reply to topic