Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mentally_destroyed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:04 pm 

Here's an ebay announcement for a DEMIGOD CD to bid.

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 1436.l2649

The guy have various sealed copies of the 1st press "Slumber of the Sullen Eyes" to sell through ebay.

Here's a part of the description :
" I HAVE BEEN GETTING EMAILS ABOUT IF THIS DEMIGOD IS A BOOTLEG,AS FAR AS I KNOW THEIR A 100% REAL I AM NO BOOTLEG EXPERT.I GOT THEM FROM A WHOLESALER IN THE UNITED KINGDOM.I AM NOT TRYING TO SCAM ANYBODY ALL BIDDERS IF YOUR NOT SURE DONT BID I'VE NEVER HEARD OF DEMIGODS BEING BOOTLEGGED SO YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN DESCISIONS.I WILL PROVIDE ALL NUMBERS FOR THE CD TO MAKE UP YOUR OWN MINDS.ALSO IF YOU WIN DONT BE EMAILING ME TELLING ME THAT'S IT'S A BOOTLEG OR LEAVING NEGATIVE FEEDBACK THEIR WILL BE NO REFUNDS OR RETURNS. UPC CODE:4001617908228 S.P.V.084-90822 MATRIX CODE:CD-008 DRAWNED TECNO CD O2"

What's it's strange is the fact that he gives the matrix number of sealed CD's, the other thing about what he says is that EVERY CD can be "bootlegged"...
Then I checked the feedbacks of the guy and he has some neg'. He sold one copy few days ago then the buyer respond it was a bootleg but at the same time other buyers (maybe friends of him) say that the copies are 1st press...
I tried to contact the user who left a neg' feedback and I'm waiting him to respond and explain why he thinks it's a bootleg...

and you, what do you think ?
Cheers!

RIP Dave Brockie

Valgrinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:19 pm 

mentally_destroyed wrote:
Here's an ebay announcement for a DEMIGOD CD to bid.

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 1436.l2649

The guy have various sealed copies of the 1st press "Slumber of the Sullen Eyes" to sell through ebay.

Here's a part of the description :
" I HAVE BEEN GETTING EMAILS ABOUT IF THIS DEMIGOD IS A BOOTLEG,AS FAR AS I KNOW THEIR A 100% REAL I AM NO BOOTLEG EXPERT.I GOT THEM FROM A WHOLESALER IN THE UNITED KINGDOM.I AM NOT TRYING TO SCAM ANYBODY ALL BIDDERS IF YOUR NOT SURE DONT BID I'VE NEVER HEARD OF DEMIGODS BEING BOOTLEGGED SO YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN DESCISIONS.I WILL PROVIDE ALL NUMBERS FOR THE CD TO MAKE UP YOUR OWN MINDS.ALSO IF YOU WIN DONT BE EMAILING ME TELLING ME THAT'S IT'S A BOOTLEG OR LEAVING NEGATIVE FEEDBACK THEIR WILL BE NO REFUNDS OR RETURNS. UPC CODE:4001617908228 S.P.V.084-90822 MATRIX CODE:CD-008 DRAWNED TECNO CD O2"

What's it's strange is the fact that he gives the matrix number of sealed CD's, the other thing about what he says is that EVERY CD can be "bootlegged"...
Then I checked the feedbacks of the guy and he has some neg'. He sold one copy few days ago then the buyer respond it was a bootleg but at the same time other buyers (maybe friends of him) say that the copies are 1st press...
I tried to contact the user who left a neg' feedback and I'm waiting him to respond and explain why he thinks it's a bootleg...

and you, what do you think ?
Cheers!

Bootleg
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=87929&start=40

Vampallens
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:29 pm 

yes, and it's recognizable also by the different color used for the frontcover, it's more bright than the original.

mentally_destroyed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:18 pm 

here's the response of the abused buyer :

"I already own 2 used copies of the original Drowned productions Demigod cd and the matrix lettering is completely different. there is no barcode on the matrix only some letters and numbers to deceive you from thinking it is fake. The covers are darker than the original which is usual with bootlegs. This was released In limited quantity some 22 years ago and do you still believe that this jerk has 5 or 10 factory sealed original copies after all these years?? I think not... If you are clever do yourself a favor and don't buy this crap. I already warned you. I have opened a claim against him and have reported him on ebay."

clear enough right !
so buyers beware !!!
It's a shame that ebay let fucks sell bootlegs again & again !

RIP Dave Brockie

Daemonlord
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:57 am 

Fuck sake. It's hard work being a collector these days... :)

https://www.instagram.com/daemonlord_ig/

Grief_Of_Adoration
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:38 pm 

Its a bit hard to judge about him but If the abused Buyer confirms it has another matrix number, It means the seller sells the bootleg ones.
But the number of copies that he has, it isnt a good reason for calling him as seller who sells the bootleg copies.

InfidelAmsterdam
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:36 am 

I have had the bootleg and since a short while I have the original with the 01 matrix version.
I have had contact with the man who owned 'Drowned productions' and is now the owner of
Xtreem records, Dave rotten.
And he told me that the cd's never came sealed from the factory.
So if it's sealed, it's a fake from the start already.
I once bought a sealed one with the 02 matrix and it's definitely a bootleg.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:13 pm 

InfidelAmsterdam wrote:
I have had the bootleg and since a short while I have the original with the 01 matrix version.
I have had contact with the man who owned 'Drowned productions' and is now the owner of
Xtreem records, Dave rotten.
And he told me that the cd's never came sealed from the factory.
So if it's sealed, it's a fake from the start already.
I once bought a sealed one with the 02 matrix and it's definitely a bootleg.

Would be cool if you could ask him if there were first presses and second presses. Also if they really made a matrix with the obvious spelling mistake 'Drawned'. I'm asking because of what you can read in these two threads:

http://www.thecorroseum.com/phpbb2/view ... &start=165

http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ullen+eyes

My theory after looking into this is, that there were three official presses:

1. Matrix: DADC AUSTRIA

2. Matrix: CD-008 DRAWNED TECNO CD 01 (first press send on the market)

3. Matrix: CD-008 DRAWNED TECNO CD 02 (second press send on the market)

4. Bootleg: CD-008 DRAWNED TECNO CD 02 (but with a difference in font and how much the inner ring is covered by green print, probably the one you have, right?) - This is the one being sold lately sealed on ebay.

You can see on the Corroseum thread both versions of the '...CD 02'. First one is the bootleg, and second is what I'd consider an official second press. Notice how the green print in the inner ring goes all way in on the bootleg, but there's no green on the other '...CD 02'. This is a typical bootlegger mistake. It's very obvious on the bootleg of Illisposed 'Four Depressive Seasons'.
I might be wrong though, but it would be a sloppy bootlegger-job if he/she had the original 'CD 01' but decided to change it to 'CD 02'.

Last edited by Helvede on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vampallens
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:05 pm 

Helvede, you're right.
the second press matrix with 02 really exists and it's completely different from the counterfeit, easily recognizable by different fonts.

Reply to topic