Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:51 pm 

I hate Tobias Sammet, I hate him so much. His voice is grating, and he's nothing but a pompous little douche. I'm not a huge fan of Avantasia but I loved the Metal Opera pt 2. Pt 1? Not so much. But I must admit, "Serpents In Paradise" is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6xYv7iOpHE

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:22 am 

"Working Man" from Rush's first album, although I think there was some other track I liked from that album too.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:29 pm 

elf48687789 wrote:
"Working Man" from Rush's first album, although I think there was some other track I liked from that album too.

Finding my way

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:16 am 

Anyway, the one that always springs to mind for me is easily Framing Armageddon by Iced Earth. The album is so overblown and shitty and full of itself and dull with no good riffs and yadda yadda, but then one track from the end they just shit out this fucking awesome heavy/power metal song. Super aggressive, pummeling, with one of Ripper's better performances. The last 50 seconds are world class stuff.

Too bad the rest of the album is so fucking bad.[/quote]

What???? Am i the only one who actually thought that was a really good album, granted it was no stormrider, but still.

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:24 am 

Smalley wrote:

Not THAT much heavier than the rest of the mostly-tepid music that surrounds it, but "Things" still makes up for that with its sheer, ominous atmosphere and grand scope, IMO.

FiXXXer is the best song on that album, imo. Things comes close as does Devil's Dance.

Use Baloo and calypso music.

Corpus_Chain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:23 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Corpus_Chain wrote:
Fear Factory's Transgression albumn was almost universally panned, and it certainly lacked the riffs and lyrical themes that made previous albums so enjoyable, but when I first picked up this album, the opening track led me to believe it was going to be a blistering post-apocalyptic blizzard of riffs. How wrong I was, but how good this song is. That opening salvo actually conveys the image of a nuclear blast rather well, so kudos to the band for putting such a powerful image into music. Great lyrics too. "FEEL THE FIRESTORM INCINERATE YOU INTO ASH!"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQEhAVemKQ0

Hmm, I always pictured a plane hitting the twin towers with that sound at the beginning. And later on when Burton sings "So many lives, so many innocent, burn" I pictured all the people dying inside. Perhaps a reoccurring theme with Moment of Impact about the many people who jumped to their death and Controlled Demolition on Mechanize, about it being a inside job.

Whatever is the case, that song made me think I was in for a something better than Digimortal but it wasn't to be, Fahrenheit was one of the only refined and memorable tracks contained, although I felt their cover of Millennium was pretty good.

Supernova is good too, I reckon.

On the 540,000 deg F thing, I read that it's the average temperature at the moment of detonation in an atom bomb explosion. I don't think the temp inside the world trade centre would have been anywhere as hot as that.

tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:04 pm 

Best song overkill did in the mid-90s.

Love this song. The second part of it is really unexpected after than beautiful intro. Rest of the album is pretty bad though.

Pretty much every self-respecting metal fan hates this album, and for a good reason. But for what it's worth, I think the riffs in Bitter Peace kick ass (after that boring intro).

I found the majority of the album to be underwhelming and emphasize technicality over substance, but No Funeral is brilliant. (Craddle Robber is also pretty cool).

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

Blither
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:50 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
Anyway, the one that always springs to mind for me is easily Framing Armageddon by Iced Earth. The album is so overblown and shitty and full of itself and dull with no good riffs and yadda yadda, but then one track from the end they just shit out this fucking awesome heavy/power metal song. Super aggressive, pummeling, with one of Ripper's better performances. The last 50 seconds are world class stuff.

Too bad the rest of the album is so fucking bad.

What???? Am i the only one who actually thought that was a really good album, granted it was no stormrider, but still.

Hell No. I love that whole album. When Stars Collide is probably the weakest standalone song, and I still like it a lot.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2