Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Einzige
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:35 am 

No, this isn't an article from The Onion:

Satanists Plan Rally in Support of Florida Gov. Rick Scott - ABC News

Quote:
The Satanic Temple is planning its first major rally, which will be held in support of Florida Gov. Rick Scott later this month for -- which might sound ironic -- signing a bill that allows for the possibility of prayer in public schools.

The religion's founder Neil Bricke, who is based in New York, is expected to speak at the rally. Bricke uses an assumed name for Satanic-related business and would not reveal his real name to ABC News. The group also hopes to open a temple in New York in the next few months.

It may be telling that the Satanic temple will be located in New York and the group's first rally, scheduled for Jan. 25, will be held in Florida.

"New York is a pretty good place for Satanism. Florida is too," said Satanic Temple spokesman Lucien Greaves.

The Florida bill that has delighted the Satanists is Senate Bill 98 and gives students "sole discretion in determining whether an inspirational message is to be delivered" at a student assembly. The bill prohibits school officials from participating in or influencing whether an inspirational message will be delivered.

Satanists feel that the policy "does a lot to support religious diversity," according to Greaves.

And these are honest-to-goodness theistic Satanists, as opposed to the LaVeyans:

Quote:
So where does Satan come in? The temple believes he is "God's proxy" on Earth and represents the central role of knowledge and wisdom in life.

"Satan was the force of design that urged humanity toward refined pleasures of the Arts and Sciences," according the web site. "It was He who first brought the fruit of knowledge to Humankind that thereafter we might live not as naked brutes in the wild, but develop our cultural splendor into ever more aesthetically and technologically advanced heights."

Well, Bricke is certainly right that Florida's been good to Satanism. From Deicide to Marilyn Manson, a lot of what passes for Satanism in American pop-culture comes out of that State for some reason. Makes sense he'd want to give something back. =D

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:22 am 

Spoiler: show
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:57 am 

:lol: Lucien Greaves. That is so the name of some creepy old butler in a horror movie or something.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:25 pm 

The Westboro Baptist Church should go there. It would be epic.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:16 pm 

Here's hoping that bill doesn't pass.

Also, I'm shocked this article isn't from the Onion.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:19 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Here's hoping that bill doesn't pass.

It only talks about "the possibility of allowing prayer in public schools". Nowhere in there says that it will be mandatory or that creationism will be teached along with science or similar nonsense. I don't like the idea of religions entering schools either, but a bit of cultural freedom is never wrong. It doesn't smell like a move a theocracy would do to me.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:02 pm 

There is no way Rachel Maddow won't do a segment on this. She loves to talk about Florida politics while rolling footage of Deicide. There was even a thread about it last time, but for those who didn't catch it:

http://gunshyassassin.com/news/msnbcs-r ... metal-rnc/

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:29 pm 

The thing nobody fucking gets about prayer in school is that it is still allowed. It's the whole "mandatory, teacher led" part that's not allowed. Therefore drafting a bill that says "Let prayer be allowed back in public schools" instead of "Let mandatory, teacher led prayer be allowed back in public schools" shows that those complaining about the lack of said prayer in said schools have no clue what they're talking about.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:15 pm 

Heh, check out the merch section on their website! I think this is a joke (as a actual joke).

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:19 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
The Westboro Baptist Church should go there.

StalUlv
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:28 pm 

That's so funny. I really like how Rick Scott won't say anything about it.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:05 am 

If the Satanists are really all about this bill, you'd think they'd be smart enough to stay away from it. Them showing support for this (in my opinion) would ruin its credibility, or purpose for most people and end up getting it thrown out faster than Satanist kids would be able to spill some goat's blood and light a few candels in their 15 minutes of set-aside prayer time. I'll bet Tipper Gore is already popping blood preasure pills over this one.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:00 am 

I think they are just doing it for shits and giggles. I don't think that actual agnostic satanists care about this law. Seriously, if they really are that devoted to Satan, and you really see yourself as some sort of religious rebel, why not start a underground high school cult anyway?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:33 pm 

I actually want it to pass, provided it means that it's universal and everyone's sect gets the spotlight throughout the day and the whole school grinds to a halt out of religious respect. After the three hour Carthusian intonement in the gym, I particularly want to go to the cleared-away lunch tables for the Voodoo ceremony. Prayer: better than fire drills. Though, at least with the fire drills you could listen to music while you sat around doing nothing.

Reply to topic