Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:04 pm 

IanThrash wrote:
In my opinion John Bush did an awful job replacing Belladonna, some of the worst/most boring thrash songs ever came from that Anthrax era . I guess I just hate Bush´s voice for no reason and widely prefer anything from Joey´s time.

I like John Bush a lot but Anthrax were already going downhill when he joined, not that I ever found them great to begin with. But he wasn't a great fit for the band, it seems.

His best vocals are far and away in Armored Saint.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:15 pm 

It's certainly debatable whether or not any guitarist in Overkill filled the shoes that Gustafson did.

Also, Paul Balloff.

bocohrt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:04 am 

Chris Degarmo was certainly an irreplaceable guy. as was Adrian Smith. and i thought Bostaph filled in very nicely for Lombardo.

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:16 am 

Tornado wrote:
HydroDrone wrote:
I don't know if anyone will top Mark Greenings drumming in Electric Wizard.

You might be pleased to know that he may well very be returning to the band!

No freaking way !, where did this information come from ? I gathered they didnt really get along anymore so this is pretty suprising ...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:33 am 

Hastein45 wrote:
Good call. Roddy is vastly superior to the boring Simonetto. Your description of Simonetto`s drumming is spot on.

Jade actually doesn't like me because of how known I've made it that I don't like his drumming. I had once sent him under my real name a video I'd done of a Hate Eternal song under the Subrick name, and since Jade didn't know that I was the guy in the video, he openly said he didn't like me because of how I've criticized him for being a poor replacement for Derek Roddy.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:11 am 

Subrick wrote:
Hastein45 wrote:
Good call. Roddy is vastly superior to the boring Simonetto. Your description of Simonetto`s drumming is spot on.

Jade actually doesn't like me because of how known I've made it that I don't like his drumming. I had once sent him under my real name a video I'd done of a Hate Eternal song under the Subrick name, and since Jade didn't know that I was the guy in the video, he openly said he didn't like me because of how I've criticized him for being a poor replacement for Derek Roddy.

:lol: I`m not sure why he got so worked up over your criticism, I bet his own band members would give Roddy the nod if asked who was better. What was his rebuttal to your criticism?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:24 am 

He just said "I don't like that guy. He talks shit on me." I've never just blindly said "Jade Simonetto sucks and I hope his dog dies from a freak ball licking accident", nor do I not like his style solely because he replaced Derek Roddy. Every criticism I've had of his playing has been both rooted in genuine criticism and studying his playing on the two HE albums he's been on. Plus I've seen many other people comment on his playing negatively in a constructive, non-"He replaced Derek, he sucks!" way. I think it's just because I've been more vocal about it on both Derek Roddy's own website and in reviews I've done of Hate Eternal's records.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:05 am 

Subrick wrote:
He just said "I don't like that guy. He talks shit on me." I've never just blindly said "Jade Simonetto sucks and I hope his dog dies from a freak ball licking accident", nor do I not like his style solely because he replaced Derek Roddy. Every criticism I've had of his playing has been both rooted in genuine criticism and studying his playing on the two HE albums he's been on. Plus I've seen many other people comment on his playing negatively in a constructive, non-"He replaced Derek, he sucks!" way. I think it's just because I've been more vocal about it on both Derek Roddy's own website and in reviews I've done of Hate Eternal's records.

Never got the whole fascination and adulation Derek Roddy receives from the metal community. He was only on a few albums as a hired mercenary and never really in a band. The few albums he was on were really nothing special. I've seen clips of him in the studio and such and yeah he's impressive but no more so than several other of metal's greats.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:16 am 

Have you listened to his Serpents Rise stuff or watched one of his clinics? If not, do so. It'll quickly change your perspective on him.

Also, not really in a band? Hate Eternal, 2002-2006, King of all Kings and I, Monarch. Deboning Method, early 90s, two demos and a full length that I can't be arsed to remember the name of right now due to only sleeping for 3 hours. When he was in Council of the Fallen he did most of the recorded instruments on Revealing Damnation. Basically the claim that he's never really been in a band is tripe.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:31 am 

FJ Receptor wrote:
For me, I was a huge Alex Hernandez fan during his tenure with Immolation. When he departed after Unholy Cult, I found Steve Shalaty's drumming to be wanting on several subsequent albums. It was only until Providence came out that I felt like Steve finally brought himself up to speed and matched Alex's style.

Steve was perhaps more suited to the style Immolation turned towards after Alex's departure. His cleaner, more efficient drumming was in line with the band's more streamlined approach.

Alex was brilliant on Close to a World Below and Unholy Cult that flirted with more atmospheric styles with songs like Father, You're Not a Father and Reluctant Messiah. He could deliver completely relentless drumming when it was called for, and his original use of rhythm and drum sounds were excellent for the band's more introspective passages that they experimented with on Alex's last two albums.

The songwriting hasn't been the same since Unholy Cult, but I think Steve found his feet nicely on Shadows in the Light.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:04 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Have you listened to his Serpents Rise stuff or watched one of his clinics? If not, do so. It'll quickly change your perspective on him.

Also, not really in a band? Hate Eternal, 2002-2006, King of all Kings and I, Monarch. Deboning Method, early 90s, two demos and a full length that I can't be arsed to remember the name of right now due to only sleeping for 3 hours. When he was in Council of the Fallen he did most of the recorded instruments on Revealing Damnation. Basically the claim that he's never really been in a band is tripe.

Maybe I was wrong about the band thing, but his career seems to me to be one of these guys who's more of a hired gun than a true band member per se'. Hate Eternal aside, he seems to have done a lot of one offs, and none of those recordings seem to me to justify the godlike awe he receives. I also was on his forum a while back where he was talking a bunch of slag against Vital Remains and more specifically Dave Suzuki. He wasn't able to justify any of his claims and it seemed really arrogant.

IdiotFlesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:20 pm 

super_ruben09 wrote:
Dave Holland replacing Les Binks comes to mind. I get that Priest were going for a simpler style, but getting a drummer that couldn't properly play some of their older material seemed like a bad idea. Scott Travis is a much better replacement in that regard, I don't like him nearly as much as Les (or Simon Philips for that matter), but at least he's technically proficient enough.

It's all too fitting that what I consider to be one of the worst albums in Priest's discography coincided with Holland's addition to the lineup.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:25 pm 

Kigo7 wrote:
Not sure if Dio leaving/getting fired from Rainbow would qualify as Joe Lynn Turner did an okay enough job replacing him, despite being less memorable for want of a better word.

JLT did not replace Dio in Rainbow....Graham Bonnet did. ;)

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:33 pm 

FJ Receptor wrote:
Subrick wrote:

Maybe I was wrong about the band thing, but his career seems to me to be one of these guys who's more of a hired gun than a true band member per se'. Hate Eternal aside, he seems to have done a lot of one offs, and none of those recordings seem to me to justify the godlike awe he receives. I also was on his forum a while back where he was talking a bunch of slag against Vital Remains and more specifically Dave Suzuki. He wasn't able to justify any of his claims and it seemed really arrogant.

Well how far back is "a while back"? I'm a moderator there and Derek has actually gotten pissed at members running down both other members and other drummers senselessly for the past few years. He's considerably more mellow now than he was a decade ago, no doubt due to not having to deal with the stresses of touring life and being able to devote all his time to clinics and his snakes.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:00 pm 

[/quote]Well how far back is "a while back"? I'm a moderator there and Derek has actually gotten pissed at members running down both other members and other drummers senselessly for the past few years. He's considerably more mellow now than he was a decade ago, no doubt due to not having to deal with the stresses of touring life and being able to devote all his time to clinics and his snakes.[/quote]

I honestly can't remember but it had to be a few years at least. The discussion was centered around whether or not Dave actually played his parts on Dechristianize. He allowed others to speculate on his behalf that it was he, Derek Roddy, who wandered into the studio during the recording only to find a Yamaha drum machine being used or something along those lines. I just thought it was a bit tacky. In reference to Jade vs Derek, not sure it's wise to use the comparison of Hate Eternal albums as examples. I'm pretty sure that whatever you hear on any HE album is at Rutan's behest.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:11 pm 

I actually went back and looked at threads on Derek's site about Vital Remains, and the only thing Derek says about a video VR put up of Dave tracking the drums for Hammer Down the Nails is speculating why in the video the audio is the song itself and not the raw camera audio, then saying that he's got no doubt Dave is a beastly drummer so as to not imply that there's foul play at work. Never saw any posts of his running down VR or Dave's drumming.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:25 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I actually went back and looked at threads on Derek's site about Vital Remains, and the only thing Derek says about a video VR put up of Dave tracking the drums for Hammer Down the Nails is speculating why in the video the audio is the song itself and not the raw camera audio, then saying that he's got no doubt Dave is a beastly drummer so as to not imply that there's foul play at work. Never saw any posts of his running down VR or Dave's drumming.

Actually, after reading your post I went to do my search on his forum and got this error below.:

Information

The board has been disabled. A new Derek Roddy website will be coming soon.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:41 pm 

Looks like he's finally getting around to updating the site. He said back in September I believe that the site was going down to be revamped, but never did it.

Also, maybe it's because I'm a mod there, but I can still view the forums and whatnot.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:58 am 

Subrick wrote:
Looks like he's finally getting around to updating the site. He said back in September I believe that the site was going down to be revamped, but never did it.

Also, maybe it's because I'm a mod there, but I can still view the forums and whatnot.

Hey man, it's all good. I totally respect Derek's ability and I've seen him in the studio doing some mesmerizing stuff. Being that we're on the subject of Dave Suzuki, I don't think Vital Remains ever recovered from his departure...I saw them live with Deicide a few years back and they sounded awful.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:58 pm 

Agreed kinda. Scott Wily was a shite vocalist compared to Dave, Damien Boynton, and even to Glen Benton. That Alberto Allende guy they had on drums back in 2011 was fucking atrocious and had no place in a band like Vital Remains. Brian Werner is infinitely better than Scott as a vocalist as is Jack Blackburn on drums, but really that band is just Tony Lazaro's excuse to not get a real job at this point.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:14 pm 

Vital Remains and Deicide are both two bands that have turned to shit after constant lineup changes and fucking up with the songwriting. Without Santolla Deicide lost any semblance left of interesting songwriting, Jack Owen is a skilled guitarist but has nowhere near the proficiency of Santolla's leads and overall ability to shred and the dude from Order of Ennead is just your average Floridian dm thrashy guitarist. Suzuki was Vital Remains last link to their mid-era where they mixed their classic black/death sound with epic songwriting, without him the band falls much into the same plot as Deicide and that's rehashing the same sound they've done since the filler parts of Dechristianize.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:59 pm 

The VR's Live DVD line-up was perfect, I liked Boynton way better than Benton and that Willy guy. Also, Donadeo was a beast behind the drumkit.

Has someone heard the new Suzuki's band? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyPtT0PM-z0

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:12 pm 

Agreed about the DVD lineup. Getting rid of Suzuki was the worst thing Tony could have done. They don't even play anything from before Forever Underground anymore, and even then they VERY rarely play something from that album, so it's more like they never play anything from before Dawn of the Apocalypse anymore. Last setlist I saw of their's it was most Dechristianize material and one or two songs from Icons of Evil. As much as I would love for Tony to do an album in the style of Into Cold Darkness or Let Us Pray, I know that will never happen because Dechristianize is their most popular album and so he'll continue that style which already got old on Icons of Evil.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:17 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Agreed about the DVD lineup. Getting rid of Suzuki was the worst thing Tony could have done. They don't even play anything from before Forever Underground anymore, and even then they VERY rarely play something from that album, so it's more like they never play anything from before Dawn of the Apocalypse anymore. Last setlist I saw of their's it was most Dechristianize material and one or two songs from Icons of Evil. As much as I would love for Tony to do an album in the style of Into Cold Darkness or Let Us Pray, I know that will never happen because Dechristianize is their most popular album and so he'll continue that style which already got old on Icons of Evil.

From what I understand, Tony didn't get rid of Dave, Dave got pressured out of it by his gf.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:39 pm 

That's...dumb. I get that perhaps the touring was too much, especially with as little as a band as VR probably makes (yes they're one of the more known names in death metal, but no death metal band aside from Cannibal Corpse and maybe Morbid Angel can make a decent living off it), but musically he was too valuable to lose.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 am 

Veracs wrote:
Vital Remains and Deicide are both two bands that have turned to shit after constant lineup changes and fucking up with the songwriting. Without Santolla Deicide lost any semblance left of interesting songwriting, Jack Owen is a skilled guitarist but has nowhere near the proficiency of Santolla's leads and overall ability to shred and the dude from Order of Ennead is just your average Floridian dm thrashy guitarist. Suzuki was Vital Remains last link to their mid-era where they mixed their classic black/death sound with epic songwriting, without him the band falls much into the same plot as Deicide and that's rehashing the same sound they've done since the filler parts of Dechristianize.

Well, with Deicide, I liked Stench but I didn't think it was the second coming of Deicide that almost everybody else thought it was. As for the songwriting, it's been largely claimed that Steve Asheim wrote and writes all of the music besides the solos. Glen and Steve always say that losing the Hoffmans didn't affect their sound or anything, but I don't think so. They def lost a lot of their flair. They had a very percussive way of playing their guitars that their replacements haven't captured.

bodomlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:16 pm 

I actually like newer deicide, especially the guitar solos. But I think that bloodbath is going to have a hard time replacing mikael akerfeldt.

savagevelocithrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:19 pm 

grauer_mausling wrote:
one non-metal mention if it's "allowed" - Fish, the vocalist on the first four Marillion albums, could never be reached by his successor Steve Hogarth.
Not only is Hogarth both a different singer and lyric writer but the departure of Fish also brought a change in sound.
Though I do like some songs of the Hogarth era, Marillion with Fish will always be "my" Marillion.

Cool to se more "Fish-era" Marillion fans here. Hogarth's Marillion is great too, but nothig that come from "Seasons End" and afterwards can top the beauty and genius of "Misplaced Childhood". Also, still no "Grendel" on any live setlist.

Back to the metal realm, I think that none of the vocalist Incantation had through their history can replace Craig Pillar. His voice on "Onward..." and "Mortal Throne..." are so fucking BRUTAL!!!.

Same with Steve Morse in Deep Purple. I never liked much his style of playing, so ... i mean, dude you can replace RITCHIE FUCKING BLACKMORE with that weak sound. At least live works fine.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:41 pm 

bodomlord wrote:
I actually like newer deicide, especially the guitar solos. But I think that bloodbath is going to have a hard time replacing mikael akerfeldt.

They just need to draft Peter Tagtgren again and all will be good.

As for Deicide, I love The Stench of Redemption and To Hell with God. 'Til Death Do Us Part is alright, but lacking in quality compared to the two albums it's between.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:23 pm 

Subrick wrote:
bodomlord wrote:

i think he'll be too busy (Pain + Hypocrisy)... unless there's some rivalry between the two bands, it would be cool if the Dismember vocalist would join Bloodbath, don't think he's really busy with anything at the moment...

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:33 pm 

Subrick wrote:
bodomlord wrote:

As for Deicide, I love The Stench of Redemption and To Hell with God. 'Til Death Do Us Part is alright, but lacking in quality compared to the two albums it's between.

Peter's vocals on Nightmares Made Flesh were probably the some of the most ferocious death metal vocals ever recorded.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:03 pm 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
Without Mikkey Dee, I think King Diamond's subsequent albums suffered. The Eye gets a lot of love, but I consider it somewhat average compared to the previous stuff, including even Fatal Portrait, if only because of the lack of amazing drumming.

I was about to bring this up, but at the same time, I don't want Mikkey leaving Motorhead. THAT would be a shoe to big to fill. Not even Philthy could fill that spot.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:47 pm 

I don't think Mikkey Dee will leave Motorhead because there might not be anyone to replace him. I'm not sure, but wasn't the reason that Philthy was fired from Motorhead the (I think) 3rd time was because he kept on making mistakes while drumming and "I'm improvising" didn't hold water as an excuse.

Speaking of Philthy, he did seem easy enough to replace, even though he was present for some of Motorhead's classic albums (Overkill, Bomber, Ace Of Spades).

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:14 pm 

The first Zyklon album was blessed with Daemon vocals, Secthdamon never came close to that performance, in fact, after World ov Worms I lost interest in the band
Not hearsay but the will of man

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:01 am 

Maybe the new vocalist of Mago de Oz will be in a big, big shoe waiting to be filled.
Maybe too soon to make an opinion, but as a fan of Mago de Oz and their vocalist Jose Andrea... i almost don't want to see him out of the band and another guy singing the classical songs.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:02 am 

TrooperEd wrote:
Liquid_Braino wrote:
Without Mikkey Dee, I think King Diamond's subsequent albums suffered. The Eye gets a lot of love, but I consider it somewhat average compared to the previous stuff, including even Fatal Portrait, if only because of the lack of amazing drumming.

I was about to bring this up, but at the same time, I don't want Mikkey leaving Motorhead. THAT would be a shoe to big to fill. Not even Philthy could fill that spot.

I don't see why Mikkey needs to leave Motorhead to do more work with King.

I wish it would happen. I think even King has said that the work hasn't quite been the same since Mikkey left.

There should be a way to get Mikkey & KD back together for another album. It would be fantastic.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:37 am 

I personally think Zak Stevens was a tremendous replacement for Jon Oliva. While not all the material from that era is terrific, his more emotive delivery fit that sound much better and Oliva's attempts at that type of emotional singing pales in comparison to Stevens'.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:13 am 

Judging from the advance track from Horna's upcoming album, Corvus's shoes were definitely too big for Spellgoth to fill. :(

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:14 pm 

Zack Wilde was a great replacement for Randy Roads, then Ozzy lost the touch for choosing guitar players...
Not hearsay but the will of man

ShadowKamelot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:12 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Kamelot's Roy Kahn (For me) is utterly, 100% irreplaceable.

Came on here to say just that. Sorry, Karevik, you're good, and I like Silverthorn well enough, but Khan>all. Damn do I miss that man.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next