Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
StarGazer007
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:36 pm 

I personally think they are heavier than Nightwish. Where exactly did you get that quote from anyway?

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:48 pm 

That's the opinion of another moderator, actually. Are they an actual metal band, or just an Evanescence soundalike?
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

StarGazer007
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:54 pm 

HB has been compared in sound to bands like Nightwish and Within Temptation. They are far from being an "Evanescence sound alike".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGptGnBmlWg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJzHSg2ntFE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBvGQ60_p7I

These are some of their songs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HB_(band)

This link has them labeled as symphonic metal and power metal.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:58 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
That's the opinion of another moderator, actually. Are they an actual metal band, or just an Evanescence soundalike?

Don't waste your time, they're not even remotely metal and the verses often have the guitars drop out entirely, or play one note/chord per measure while the keyboards/vocals take the lead. Most of the music has no guitar riffing. The production is thick, it's basically Finnish keyboard metal with no emphasis on the guitars.

StarGazer007
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:02 pm 

Isn't stating that they are "Finnish keyboard metal" equivalent to saying they are a metal band?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:11 pm 

Only if you are adept at selective reading and cherry picking and ignore everything else he's said. :rolleyes:

HB is not going to be accepted, case closed.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

StarGazer007
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:15 pm 

Personally, I'm not even certain if any one bothered to listen to what they had posted. If HB isn't on here, I'd say Within Temptation and Nightwish should both be removed. They sound like Finnish keyboard metal.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:20 pm 

StarGazer007 wrote:
Personally, I'm not even certain if any one bothered to listen to what they had posted. If HB isn't on here, I'd say Within Temptation and Nightwish should both be removed. They sound like Finnish keyboard metal.

I'm familiar with the band as I reviewed them a while ago and the samples you linked fit what I said perfectly. That comment was about the production, not the music, and I'm not a site moderator. Morrigan said no, so there's your answer.

StarGazer007
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:24 pm 

Morrigan is just one site monitor. Besides, your description was way off. I highly doubt you listened to them. Again, I would have to contend that if we are to throw them out, then we should also have to throw Nightwish and Within Temptation out as well.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:42 pm 

StarGazer007 wrote:
Morrigan is just one site monitor.

Why don't take a peek at the main page, click on my username under almost any post? I mean, okay, you're new here, but I fail to see how one could be so clueless.

Early Within Temptation is clearly metal, and so was Nightwish, and they sound nothing like this tripe. Also, are the words "case closed" too complicated for you? Because I honestly can't find simpler ones. "Thick as a castle wall..."

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

StarGazer007
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:47 pm 

Fine. I am using my profile from now on to case my opinions. I think this site is more moving close to a "allowing just about anything" site and away from a "metal archive". You also encouraged me to start a blog critiquing some conclusions that I find highly objectionable.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:51 pm 

Start a blog over a rejection? Damn, that's what I call determination! Good luck in earning a living on that one, or if it's just a hobby, I hope you have fun while putting down time in that when you could do something more constructive.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:54 pm 

Yeah, the exact proof that we allow "just about anything" on the site is that we don't accept the band you want us to...

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

StarGazer007
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:58 pm 

Um, no. The "exact proof" I was talking about is that if we allow one band and disallow another that sounds heavier or equivalent, then we can just allow anything. This is the problem with gothic metal variations. Some of them are actually really not metal at all (Nightwish, HB, Within Temptation (sounds like Kittie on their first album)).

StarGazer007
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:01 pm 

@Porman

I find blogging to be quite relaxing at times. It allows my opinions to go out where any one can see it. Also allows for me to criticize things with my own voice. I also find it easier to argue for the genuine vs. fake metalness of bands doing that (ie - comparing SOAD with Iron Maiden). I do feel I know more about what metal is than a lot of people. I'd say I'd know more than everyone (it sounds arrogant but it can't be if it's true).

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:03 pm 

Gothic Metal? What did I miss?
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:04 pm 

And now you list HB as not metal? After starting by arguing that it is metal? Logic, you tiny thing sailing towards the horizon... Godspeed, farewell, we hardly knew you.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:05 pm 

On his profile: "Avenged Sevenfold is blacklisted unfairly. They would be far closer to power metal on their album City of Evil.."

This guy is definitely an expert on all things metal!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:06 pm 

Sounds like you found a new moderator.

StarGazer007
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:07 pm 

I never stated HB was not metal. I believe they are equivalently metal to Nightwish and Within Temptation.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:07 pm 

StarGazer007 wrote:
@Porman

I'd say I'd know more than everyone (it sounds arrogant but it can't be if it's true).

Believe me, it's not true...

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:08 pm 

EDIT: I was gonna bring that up but Metantoine did it first.

Dude, how old are you, anyway?
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

StarGazer007
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:15 pm 

@OpsiusCato

Does it matter? Probably younger than you. You can date me back to 1992 but no sooner.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:18 pm 

Ah, it all makes sense now. "Youth arrogance".
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:18 pm 

StarGazer007 wrote:
Um, no. The "exact proof" I was talking about is that if we allow one band and disallow another that sounds heavier or equivalent, then we can just allow anything. This is the problem with gothic metal variations. Some of them are actually really not metal at all (Nightwish, HB, Within Temptation (sounds like Kittie on their first album)).

1) None of those bands are gothic metal. Nightwish is symphonic power metal, early Within Temptation was doomy symphonic metal (and became lighter/more rock-ish later). You must be one of those clueless idiots who think having violins and/or a female singer makes a band "gothic metal". -_- Here's gothic metal.
2) Within Temptation sounds like... Kittie? Are you for real?
3) HB isn't "heavier" than those bands.
4) What part of "case closed" don't you get?
5) You're a whelp who knows nothing. The sooner you realize that, the faster you'll grow up.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

StarGazer007
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:21 pm 

Measuring wisdom and knowledge based on one's age isn't always accurate. I mostly dialogue about theology and philosophy anyway. This is my last post here on this forum. Moving on now.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:29 pm 

And there was much rejoicing.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:31 pm 

If the guy could tell us he witnessed the rise and fall of several subgenres in the metal spectrum he would have a point. He was born too late to witness the rise of Metallica, only the fall. He never witnessed the rise of Death Metal. He came about when Death Angel were already named The Organization and he claims to know more about Metal than most of us who have been around longer and DID witness these events (or even the rise and fall of NWOBHM).
Furthermore he probably didn't even look at Morrigan's profile since he stated that:
StarGazer007 wrote:
Fine. I am using my profile from now on to case my opinions.
. He probably doesn't even know that she is the site Owner.
How thick can one be?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:33 pm 

It's okay, he's gone, we can drop this IQ-reducing conversation now. ;)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

mikelevilkiller
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:52 pm 

Hi! Evil Killer demo is available on CD, I think you have to remove it from the blacklist...
Thanks!

RazorDick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:10 pm 

Why is Paranoid Freak Out blacklisted?
They are Grindcore/Powerviolence but more from the metal side of Grind. I own their 2010 demo.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mqq41f28cyn4o9g

I uploaded it to Mediafire for you to listen to :)

they are definitely metal and deserve to be on here.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:35 pm 

Why was Aluk Todolo blacklisted? They're pretty much black metal with a few other influences like drone, ambient, and krautrock.

here is a song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow1g4xd7gTM

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:50 pm 

mikelevilkiller wrote:
Hi! Evil Killer demo is available on CD

Proof?

mikelevilkiller
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:36 pm 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

200 copies, numbered, for sale on our facebook page, at concerts and by email

RazorDick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:27 am 

Also I forgot to bring up Vorvadoss up after the rejection.
I really believe they should get a second listen, they are Doom/Black Metal with experimental hardcore punk influences bit mainly Doom Metal and Black Metal. Saw them live a few years ago. They also have a live album but asI only own the demo though.

Here is a video with a song of Vorvadoss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bppvENh ... ata_player

RazorDick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:31 am 

Here is a live video of Vorvadoss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSaE765 ... ata_player

~Guest 298739
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:10 am 

Why is Caladan Brood blacklisted? They couldn't be more straightforward black metal.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:32 am 

mikelevilkiller wrote:
*pic*

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

200 copies, numbered, for sale on our facebook page, at concerts and by email

Can be submitted now.

Nhor wrote:
Why is Caladan Brood blacklisted? They couldn't be more straightforward black metal.

Because people kept submitting the band before the debut's release date (February 15th).

EDIT: Hm, never noticed that blatant Malazan reference until now. Pretty decent name for a metal band.

miasma_vienna
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:07 am 

Azmodes wrote:
@miasma_vienna: I understand what you're saying, but as a digital-only band 11 minutes with three songs is simply too short by our standards. I agree that it is very professional and serious from what I gleaned. I tried to take that into account when I rejected it. Still, a band with that little released original material (and that material also not being physical) at this point doesn't quite cut it. Please understand that accepting EPs in any form is rather the exception than the norm, as we prefer digital full-lengths, and when an EP gets accepted it's usually around 20 minutes long, 15 at the very least. I don't want to stress the numbers too much here, we're of course not into the business of assigning arbitrary values to any specific numbers, but there's gotta be a semblance of a line somewhere.

I'd wait until you guys have another release out and then resubmit (another EP like that and it would be no problem, for instance). Seems like you are getting a good amount of positive feedback, so that's probably only a matter of time anyway. :)

:beer: :thumbsup:

working already on the new stuff - will take you at your word later this year...... :wink: :-D

avetinja
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:21 am 

Metantoine wrote:
If there's some bands less heavy than this one on the Archives, feel free to point them out and they're gonna be removed.

Don't want to spoil discussions and annoy people on this thread with many ex-YU bands, so I made a separate thread concerning the old ex-Yugoslavian scene here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=96189

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189 ... 541  Next