Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:44 am 

Real quick: is there a place where I can find whether or not a given album is being released as a digipak? I dislike jewel cases.

Reason I ask is because I just pre-ordered the albums Beyond by Omnium Gatherum and Saivon Lapsi by Eternal Tears of Sorrow and I'm rather hoping that they'll digipak these.

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:50 am 

Discogs.

I checked on my desk for a digipack release and found Plaguewielder, I checked on Discogs and here's my version: http://www.discogs.com/Darkthrone-Plagu ... ase/387232

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

todesengel89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:30 am 

that's quite a unique preference haha. most people tend to prefer jewel case over digipaks despite the latter's nicer packaging.
Heavy Metal Tribune #007 feat. Paradise Lost, Rogga Johansson, Riti Occulti, Antin Graham & Nepente!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:34 am 

That's mainly cause it's far easier to change out a jewel case incase something happens to it, like it gets cracked or the teeth holding the cd get broken. With a digi... teeth are broken? tough shit. They are easier to get damaged even with loads of care. they just don't hold up.

Horus666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:17 am 

I keep mine in protective sleeves. Just like vinyl. Works fine.

Asti78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:38 am 

and you can also replace broken CD holders in a digipack pretty easily. I bought some time ago a bunch of replacement inlays with the corresponding glue dots and works perfectly
Good users: ins88(2x), Oligarch, Mr_Belvedere(8x), coldsunproductions, Apostate, narlotep, Kubrat(5x), caine(2x), nothenam(2x), Mysticus(2x), Peststurm(3x), Brandanschlag, MDeth, MikeyC, SepticTomb, thunderbelial, KevinPage, Desekrate, WASPcollector, Wolfhead(2x), Mephs, ...

LordTool
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:45 am 

The paper corners and bends wear out/crease/rip in digipaks, I dont think its ever been a problem of the plastic base. Still I like digi's better.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:18 am 

While I hate digipaks for their fragility, I think most people who prize them are "collectors" anyway, meaning they have the "object", and don't worry that much about the fragility (since most collectors make efforts to take care not to throw that stuff around, and usually just keep it stored).

That is, if those collectors are anything like me, they usually rip that shit and then store it, especially if it's a digipak... all the while being super-careful not to breathe on the packaging or disc itself too hard.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong. Either way, I always rip lossless copies of CD's. I much prefer playing lossless rips of CD's and keeping the physical media in storage until I need to reference or re-rip it or something. I play all my music that's on the computer through my stereo system anyway, so it's really not any different from playing the physical CD (certainly not with my crappy stereo system, anyway. I can't tell a difference).

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:49 am 

Asti78 wrote:
and you can also replace broken CD holders in a digipack pretty easily. I bought some time ago a bunch of replacement inlays with the corresponding glue dots and works perfectly

3M make this wicked clear mounting tape, i use that to fix them, just 4 small squares and it's all done :thumbsup:
of course if the spindle is rooted it won't fix that though...

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:11 am 

todesengel89 wrote:
that's quite a unique preference haha. most people tend to prefer jewel case over digipaks despite the latter's nicer packaging.

I'm entirely in the 'nicer packaging' camp as a collector of physical media. If it has a digipak release, I want that for preference.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:29 am 

Getting way off-topic, but you know what really sucks is having the sort of cases you'd never buy in bulk... like smoky-black plastic cases (Bright Eyes - Digital Ash In A Digital Urn) or clear neon yellow-green (a Flux of Pink Indians bootleg I own).

How am I gonna replace that shit without buying a minimum of, like, 50 of those cases?!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:41 am 

Yea I don't trust pulling the plastic off the cardboard without it ripping. esp with older ones were it's ripping anyway already.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:40 pm 

the glue looks like hot glue gun glue, i'd say if it was heated again it'd soften right up.

:evil:

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:12 pm 

Well, oddly enough, digipaks have been more durable for me. Jewel cases are always breaking with very minimal force. Most of the time they just arrive broken. Mostly the CD holder finger thingies or the portion of the jewel cover that connects to the portion holding the CD.

I've had countless (hundreds) of Jewels case breaks, but not one problem with a digipak. Perhaps I'm an exception.

MalariaMosquito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:52 pm 

I store all my digipaks in plastic sleeves because it takes very little for the cover to be damaged when getting jostled around on a shelf. Jewel cases may crack, but they are easily replaceable and at least they protect the artwork.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:06 pm 

MalariaMosquito wrote:
I store all my digipaks in plastic sleeves because it takes very little for the cover to be damaged when getting jostled around on a shelf. Jewel cases may crack, but they are easily replaceable and at least they protect the artwork.

One thing I hate in jewel cases is those case lids with the two little plastic dot-prong things that are meant to keep the insert from sliding out... they ALWAYS seem to end up leaving hideous dents in the inserts... It sucks spending money on something you find online only to notice that the insert has these ugly indents pressed into it. Most, if not all, cases now have bars instead of those prong things, but I still have several albums that use those, and I am pretty particular about using label/period-specific cases for older stuff (like, some old Warner cases have the logo embossed into the plastic, for instance).

It's especially frustrating when it comes to rare/expensive items. I've resorted to storing jewel cases upside down (so the spine faces the floor when stored in a box or something).

I really need to look into some small polyvinyl sleeves for digipacks (and even regular jewel cases, since those get scuffed). On that note, I need to get some thick PV sleeves for most of my vinyl, too... and better shelving... and a million other stupid things...

Being a music collector is ruining my life.

zahgurim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:24 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:
I really need to look into some small polyvinyl sleeves for digipacks (and even regular jewel cases, since those get scuffed). On that note, I need to get some thick PV sleeves for most of my vinyl, too... and better shelving... and a million other stupid things...

http://bagsunlimited.com/

This site has everything you're looking for, and more...

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:05 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:
Being a music collector is ruining my life.
ha ha ha excellent :grin:

i've seen dots, bars and 'teeth' [looks a bit like a shark fin i suppose]
i'd prefer a full length bar like on the other edge over the smaller dots etc :(

todesengel89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:47 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
i've seen dots, bars and 'teeth' [looks a bit like a shark fin i suppose]
i'd prefer a full length bar like on the other edge over the smaller dots etc :(

The teeth one is particularly destructive hahaha. And I hate it when my nails are too short to pull them out!

And while I like to collect digipaks, I hate those that have booklets that are way too thick. I remember tearing my Anthelion digipak (front cover) 10 minutes after buying it because the booklet was so tightly packed inside the side where it was slipped into.
Heavy Metal Tribune #007 feat. Paradise Lost, Rogga Johansson, Riti Occulti, Antin Graham & Nepente!

Reply to topic