Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:01 pm 

Quote:
APOLLO PAPATHANASIO QUITS; REPLACEMENT VOCALIST ANNOUNCED FOR UPCOMING TOURING! (read press release below):

FIREWIND have announced Kelly Sundown Carpenter (Adagio, Beyond Twilight, etc.) as new vocalist for their upcoming North American touring activities, after longterm vocalist Apollo Papathanasio parted ways with the band.

FIREWIND comments:
“Today we are in the unfortunate position to announce that Apollo has decided to step down permanently from the vocal duties in FIREWIND. For the past few years it was evident that Apollo could not keep up with FIREWIND’s ever growing and demanding touring & promotional schedule. Several times we've had to recruit replacements in order to continue touring the world and keep playing for our fans. We're lucky enough to have worked with some of the best Metal singers out there!

Although we're sad to announce Apollo's departure and we sure will miss him, at the same time we feel that the show must go on! FIREWIND is a band that has gone thru lots of ups and downs the past 10 years, but is still going strong!

With that said, we're happy to announce that Kelly Sundown Carpenter (Adagio, Beyond Twilight, Darkology) will be singing for us on the upcoming N. American tour with Turisas! This guy's a phenomenal singer and we can't wait to get out there and Rock! We're looking forward to our return in America. See you all soon!”

Well, that sucks. I love Firewind and they'd finally nailed down a mostly stable lineup for long enough to look like a real band rather than a side project. It's not like they can't survive a change of vocalist, but Apollo was a favourite of mine and it seems unfortunate that they bitch slapped him on the way out by basically saying he was failing for years.

I have no idea what this Kelly character sounds like. I'll have to look into that.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:26 pm 

What is up with bands announcing tours and then having band members leave? Sabaton did the same thing.

Apollo was definitely a huge part of why I love Firewind and I'm nervous for the future. I'll probably still go see them just because they don't seem to get very high spots on the bill in North America and I've never seen them.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:28 pm 

He was always a really lame, weak and generic singer, so if they can get someone new in who can inject some fire into their songs, well, always a good thing for me. Kelly Carpenter, yeah, he should do - since Firewind is more about hard rockin' riffs than about the spastic prog jerking of Darkology and what not, might be a good change.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:49 pm 

Kelly is a tremendous singer. He can pretty much do anything vocally and pull it off, making it super metal in the process. I never gave a shit about Firewind but this seems like a good time to start.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:16 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
He was always a really lame, weak and generic singer, so if they can get someone new in who can inject some fire into their songs, well, always a good thing for me. Kelly Carpenter, yeah, he should do - since Firewind is more about hard rockin' riffs than about the spastic prog jerking of Darkology and what not, might be a good change.

I think Firewind's recent lameness has more to do with Gus G's. lazy songwriting than anything else. Aside from the first three songs on the new album (especially "Losing My Mind"), it sounds like Firewind is becoming the Black Label Society of European Power Metal.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:24 pm 

Thats a humorous comparison, considering who Gus G. replaced not long ago...
Hehe, foreskins.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:36 am 

I feel like they dropped the ball with Few Against Many, but I would actually go as far as saying Days of Defiance is my favourite album by them and one of my favourites by anyone in recent years.

The 'power metal' tag irks me a bit, as I don't hear anything in Firewind that can't fall squarely under the banner of plain old 'heavy metal'. Or is anything with keyboards power metal these days?
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:09 am 

I think that Apollo was their best vocalist so far. He had so much more power than their previous singers. I do like Kelly a lot, however. I think he might be a strange fit for Firewind, though. I guess I will have to see.

osborn89419
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:31 pm 

hopefully he can dedicate all his abilities on the new Spiritual Beggars now.

Reply to topic