Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:16 am 

Medium shirts, 34" shorts/jeans/pants. Aww yeah, nice and easy.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:37 am 

Bezerko you suck. While on the topic of shirts I wear a medium or large to fit me nicely depending on the cut but where I run into problems is shirt length. I always find one that fit my arms and chest but end up being too damned short and show off half my stomach if I raise my arms above my shoulders.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:10 am 

I've lost 15 kilos or so in the last three months so I'm in an awkward stage where large is still a bit too tight, but now XL Seems too baggy. My Esoteric shirt being the most tragic victim of "too big to wear anywhere but bed" issues. Jeans wise I've always had a bastardhead issue of needing relaxed.fit, which meant I had to buy ugly ones, but I recently found some ones that were technically skinny but if bought a size too high look pretty.good, I need to buy more now.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:54 am 

Jeans, and pants in general, always is an issue at the time of purchasing. I have always had to get my jeans altered (read shortened) to suit my height. Also, the thigh areas seem to be problematic while sitting. So I go for a bigger size. I wear a 34"-36" and I'm 5' 8".

Spoiler: show
we're chitchatting like a bunch of girls

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:01 am 

You guys can bitch all you want, you still don't have to seek out all your clothing in midget size.

- Tim Minchin

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:00 am 

It's not even worth going to stores for me to by pants, they never have the right size. Just get custom orders online.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:34 am 

I do dat thrifting, just find women's pants there mostly....but I do loads of H&M, I'm crazy skinny, so a lot of trendy shit fits me.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:36 am 

BastardHead wrote:
In other news, I've been actually saving my money lately (something I don't normally do very well, but being dirt poor for nine months puts things in perspective), so I figured I should buy myself some new pants finally (I'm the typical metalhead with 70+ shirts and like four or five pairs of jeans). So with my newfound wealth, I walk into Walmart, and walk out with literally every single pair of jeans that could fit me comfortably. How many do you think that was?

ONE. ONE PAIR.

See, you can't tell in most photos of me because I tend to wear loose clothing (no reason I should wear XL shirts, but I do because I like the sleeves going to my elbow), but I have fucking thunder thighs. Normal upper half of my body, normal calves, even a normal ass, but thanks to the genes I inherited from my dad, my goddamn thighs are twice the size they should be. Ergo, I need to wear relaxed fit jeans, otherwise I can't even put my hands in my pockets due to it being so tight in that area. What makes this difficult is that I wear a 31' waist, so 31x32 is apparently a mythical size since every other human being on the planet has an even numbered waist size but me apparently, and almost every 31 that does exist doesn't accommodate for people that weren't drawn by fucking Tim Burton.

It sounds like you should just go for some boot cut jeans. I find relaxed/normal sizes to be meant for people with like, five percent body fat. For everybody else, that shit is just too tight. I wear boot cut jeans exclusively because I like baggy jeans, they're relaxed in the thigh/crotch area, and I can break them in so they fit me perfectly. Except I've lost a good bit of weight, so my 36/34 jeans might need to be switched to 34/34 because my belt is too big for me (in between two of the buckle holes), and the pants do that weird thing where the buttoned area of the jeans slip underneath the belt. It doesn't look too weird and it's not too big, but I do notice a sizing difference since I've lost like ten pounds.

Too bad there's only a few manufactures left that make boot cut jeans. Everybody's switched to ball-shrinking, ultra-modern slim fit for the anorexia-ridden metrosexual with .85 percent body fat.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:14 pm 

I might be going on eBay for the first time to look for an AMD Turion X2 CPU...

Apparently the one in my mom's laptop is fried.

Anything I should look out for to avoid scams or general bullshit?

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:17 pm 

You're going to replace the processor on a LAPTOP? That's...that's going to be a nightmare.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:19 pm 

I'd advise against it, Goatfangs.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:30 pm 

I'm not even sure it's possible, honestly. I was under the impression most notebook CPUs are directly soldered onto the motherboard.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:32 pm 

Well, the laptop itself is well past warranty since it's almost 5 years old now.

I do have experience cracking open electronics to fix them, though most of that is for desktops.

There's no guarantee that the problem is restricted to the CPU... the laptop is an HP Touchsmart Tablet PC, when I turn it on it has these LED lights that flash in a pattern - they flash only once, which means it's a CPU. There are other "blink codes" according to the HP website.

A more daring thing I could try is to open up my laptop, which is the exact same model, and switching the CPUs. However, I don't want to break my laptop.

Or I could take it to Best Buy and see if the Geek Squad can do anything about it.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:50 pm 

(I've been a computer technician for the last 7~ years, take that as you will)

What I'm trying to say is that I don't think it's ANYTHING like a desktop system. You can't just pull out a processor and switch it in/out. It's made as a permanent piece. So, I believe, you'd have to replace the entire motherboard itself, with built-in CPU. And I'm not even sure that's feasible.

If it's something you just want to play with because it's dead anyways and it may be fun then I completely understand. But any computer repair place you take it to is going to tell you it's either impossible, or would cost so much money you might as well get a brand new notebook.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:55 pm 

For the inexperienced, replacing a CPU on a desktop is hard enough. Replacing anything on a laptop is nightmarishly difficult unless you have copious experience. What I've heard from acquintances who work as computer techs, nearly all the unfixable cases they come across are laptops.

Five years is a decent age for a laptop. Especially many gaming laptops have cooling issues (and dust removal is obviously more difficult), making them heat considerably more than desktops.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:59 pm 

Okay, so I was just looking up Orphaned Land here in MA, and for some reason, I ended up typing "Oprah Land", not to mention I didn't realize it until the search was over.

:durr:

Beware brainfarts, people! Though it could've been worse, in the sense that I could've actually found something by that name. I shudder at the thought of such horrors.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:06 pm 

Been watching some Oprah recently, Xl?

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:08 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
For the inexperienced, replacing a CPU on a desktop is hard enough. Replacing anything on a laptop is nightmarishly difficult unless you have copious experience. What I've heard from acquintances who work as computer techs, nearly all the unfixable cases they come across are laptops.

Five years is a decent age for a laptop. Especially many gaming laptops have cooling issues (and dust removal is obviously more difficult), making them heat considerably more than desktops.

How about replacing a hard drive? The Asus I bought in August has two separate hard drives and I'd like to replace the one containing the OS with a solid state drive, which I've been told is actually possible unlike most other laptop-hardware-replacements.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:15 pm 

It depends on the case. Some cases I've seen make it surprisingly easy: you only have to unscrew & remove one small, separate plate from the bottom to reach the HD. The location of the HD varies between models; sometimes it can be in a very tricky place.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:23 pm 

For some reason it decided to work today. Started up with no problems.

The only thing different was it wasn't plugged in to the AC, so I can't quite figure out what the hell was going on.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:29 pm 

Good thing they are selling more MDF Thursday passes in February.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:35 pm 

You're probably better off replacing the whole motherboard rather than the CPU for a laptop of that age. Those HP touchsmart tablet PCs are a nightmare to work on though.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:45 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Not really. The only hard part about working on laptops is that 90% of the time you have to custom order specific parts from the manufacturer which can be pricey. Because of that I tell my clients I refuse to work on it unless they're willing to pay 200+ for a keyboard on a ten year old laptop.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:50 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Okay, so I was just looking up Orphaned Land here in MA, and for some reason, I ended up typing "Oprah Land", not to mention I didn't realize it until the search was over.

:durr:

Beware brainfarts, people! Though it could've been worse, in the sense that I could've actually found something by that name. I shudder at the thought of such horrors.

Freudian slip much?

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:20 pm 

Welp, looks like HMV has bit the dust. Unfortunate too, especially in my location where CD stores are few and far between. I guess it'll be strictly ordering online and whatever I can salvage from the 2 or 3 used stores in this province from now on.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:20 pm 

I had a random dip in my mood today, to the point of near-depression and I couldn't figure out why. After a bit of reading on Google, I arrived at this conclusion: FAST FOOD = BAD MOOD. I know it causes grogginess, cognitive slowness and similar things, but I never really thought about mood swings. I chuckled and said to myself, "you motherfucker."

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:38 pm 

IX Leviathan wrote:
Welp, looks like HMV has bit the dust. Unfortunate too, especially in my location where CD stores are few and far between. I guess it'll be strictly ordering online and whatever I can salvage from the 2 or 3 used stores in this province from now on.

I suppose this was inevitable. People have been joking about them having to go out of business soon for at least half a dozen years. Their selection has just been getting worse and worse and they've become less about just selling CD's anyway. Dinosaurs will die. I will miss the mega HMV in Montreal tonight, though, it actually has a lot of great stuff. Hopefully them going out of business will help sales for independent stores.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:53 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
I had a random dip in my mood today, to the point of near-depression and I couldn't figure out why. After a bit of reading on Google, I arrived at this conclusion: FAST FOOD = BAD MOOD. I know it causes grogginess, cognitive slowness and similar things, but I never really thought about mood swings. I chuckled and said to myself, "you motherfucker."

I don't know about mood swings, don't get too many of those but Fast Food = Bad (in general)

Blimey, I've been munching away on burgers, sandwiches, pizzas for close to a month now and I've realized I've been feeling weaker than when I used to have a somewhat balanced diet. I'm also starting to see more hair fall. I'm saying this out loud in an IronSheik kinda way, "Fastfood, you no good piece of shit, I will make you humble".

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:00 pm 

Yeah I hear that. I don't eat fast food that often but I eat a ton of processed microwavable crap. If it weren't so god damn hot outside all the time I wouldn't have a problem going on ten mile hikes every other day... but yeah. 90 degree weather can take a toll on you.

And during winter it's too cold :(

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:31 pm 

So Kelly Sundown Carpenter has joined Firewind now. This guy is slowly becoming a member of every power metal band. Not that I'm complaining.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:40 pm 

http://www.amazon.com/Wizards-Collectio ... B007FSEAHY

I present to you complete and utter fucking overkill. 31 discs for almost $500. THIRTY ONE. My Hitchcock boxset has literally half that and it's only $89.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:25 pm 

I'm listening to that new Darkthrone song that was released. I have a hard time believing it's the same band, and it fucking rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvbWDP0p ... r_embedded

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:39 pm 

iAm wrote:
I'm listening to that new Darkthrone song that was released. I have a hard time believing it's the same band, and it fucking rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvbWDP0p ... r_embedded

You know, iAm, there's a thread about it and I prefer to have discussions on already established threads about things like that.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95215&start=120

If you want to chat, there's a chat :)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:56 pm 

I thought this was Free For All? :p

Holy shit, the new Darkthrone does sound good! I've got to post about this on facebook now.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:57 pm 

Civil, the star from that recent WOMANS IN METURL ARE POSERS thread has a shitty myspace band. Check it for a laugh.

Mod note: link removed

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:10 pm 

I... actually kinda liked it. :???: How? I have no fucking idea.

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:13 pm 

As stupid as Civil may be, linking that is utterly unnecessary.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:28 pm 

Next you're going to tell me that the lunatic who publishes racist rants on Burzum.org has a one man black metal band :rolleyes:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:30 pm 

Honestly, it's not like he posted his address or anything private or intrusive. The dude has a public myspace page for his public band. Maybe Terri was trying to draw mockery towards him but putting your work out in public, you should expect people to listen to it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:39 pm 

So SoniCRIME TheRapy by GISM is actually a really sick thrash album with awesome breakdowns. Everyone panders over Detestation but no one checks out their other stuff I feel.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 760, 761, 762, 763, 764, 765, 766 ... 827  Next