Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:12 am 

I finished season 4 of The Wire recently, about to watch 5. Loving every minute of it. This is why:

"the scope of content in the show is uncommonly large and all the various social/cultural/political/institutional aspects are maturely and tastefully portrayed"
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:21 pm 

SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
Finally started watching Sons Of Anarchy today.
The first episode of S1 was quite engrossing and I love the premise. Jax seems simple on the outside but there's more to him and I'm looking forward to see his character unfold.
I love Justified and I got into SOA because they are apparently the same...they're not! But I'll give it a chance, see how it all comes together. Any fans on board?

Sons Of Anarchy is really good. I just finished Season 2.
Henry Rollins guested as a real motherfucker! Great pacing. It kept me glued.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:45 pm 

Anyone watch Dexter? I missed the most recent season because I dont have Showtime right now :(
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:20 am 

Sure, the season that just ended has been discussed to death. Just check out the previous pages before this one. I have to agree with a lot of people here, it was a most disappointing season. It had its moments but it was mostly AAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGHHH!
Don't want to spoil it for you cause if you've followed the show you'll need to watch it for continuity's sake.

Homeland did have a strong season though. The best show on Showtime these days, if you ask me.

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:35 am 

VirginSteele_Helstar wrote:
Finally started watching Sons Of Anarchy today.
The first episode of S1 was quite engrossing and I love the premise. Jax seems simple on the outside but there's more to him and I'm looking forward to see his character unfold.
I love Justified and I got into SOA because they are apparently the same...they're not! But I'll give it a chance, see how it all comes together. Any fans on board?

Sons Of Anarchy is really good. I just finished Season 2.
Henry Rollins guested as a real motherfucker! Great pacing. It kept me glued.

Finished SOA Season 2 and I'm onto Season 3. The second season was the absolute best! Jax and Clay finally played it out and I love how it all came together. Henry Rollins was a real motherfucker! :wink:
Season 3 is good too from what I've seen.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:22 am 

I just finished watching all three seasons of the Inbetweeners and followed it up with the movie. I must say, it was a laugh riot for all the nonsensical things that were joked about. It's quite silly to be honest but the Brit accent made everything like 100x funnier. The movie was equally good and stayed true to the franchise.

Any fans here?

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:11 pm 

Sure, the season that just ended has been discussed to death. Just check out the previous pages before this one. I have to agree with a lot of people here, it was a most disappointing season. It had its moments but it was mostly AAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGHHH!
Don't want to spoil it for you cause if you've followed the show you'll need to watch it for continuity's sake.

Homeland did have a strong season though. The best show on Showtime these days, if you ask me.

Thanks I was expecting someone to spoil it so I wasnt even going to check this thread haha. I loved the first season of Homeland so I will be looking forward to catching up if I can get fucking Showtime this year.
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

The Nightmare Rider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:40 pm 

Are there any Tokusatsu fans here? For those that don't know; Tokusatsu are live action superhero shoes from Japan. Power Rangers was based off Super Sentai.

Anyway, over the past couple of years I've come to love Tokusatsu. My current favourite Kamen Rider series would be W, Kiva and Amazon, Kiva being where I take my namsake from. I love the character development, the fights, the designs, the villains, so much from it! It only looses out to W because of the detective elements and reasons behind why your monster of the week attacks.

Any other fans of Kamen Rider or Tokusatsu in general here?

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:17 pm 

shouvince wrote:
I just finished watching all three seasons of the Inbetweeners and followed it up with the movie. I must say, it was a laugh riot for all the nonsensical things that were joked about. It's quite silly to be honest but the Brit accent made everything like 100x funnier. The movie was equally good and stayed true to the franchise.

Any fans here?

This show is decent enough - it has some great moments, but fuck am i the only one who can't stand Simon Bird? That guy is awful. They had some other leading character except him and it might have been more tolerable. Anyways, Friday Night Dinner was pretty terrible despite some okay cast members.

KingAlastor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:23 pm 

Only a week until the next MLP episode. It's the first Fluttershy episode of the season and Discord is coming back. Should be worth the wait.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:27 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
shouvince wrote:

Any fans here?

This show is decent enough - it has some great moments, but fuck am i the only one who can't stand Simon Bird? That guy is awful. They had some other leading character except him and it might have been more tolerable. Anyways, Friday Night Dinner was pretty terrible despite some okay cast members.

I agree. I literally couldn't stand the pilot episode because of Simon Bird's character. Pompous twat the way he portrayed 'Will' to be but I sense he's similar IRL also. Anyway, I almost gave up on watching Inbetweeners entirely but Jay & Neil saved the day and that's how I ended up watching the series.

The Nightmare Rider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:16 am 

KingAlastor wrote:
Only a week until the next MLP episode. It's the first Fluttershy episode of the season and Discord is coming back. Should be worth the wait.

Ditto this! This will be a great test for Fluttershy and how she manages to deal with Discord. I hope we get a return of the Fluttershy stare XD. Should be interesting to see how Discord is developed too.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:53 pm 

....GTFO. No brony shit in this thread.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:37 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Yeah i vaguely recall there was an entire MLP thread wasn't there? I don't visit the forums much...

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:55 pm 

To the above couple of posters, I just recently got into Sons Of Anarchy (thank goodness for Netflix) and finished everything off there, as well as finished watching the episodes I recorded for the last season that just had finished.
Spoiler: show
LOVED the ending with Clay being sent off to jail, as much as I hate Jax just as well.

When's the next season?

EDIT by Azmodes: Spoiler tags added.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:02 pm 

^ you should remember to use spoiler tags bro.

Anyways, i used to watch that show - the first couple seasons seemed okay, but then it seemed to really take a downhill slide. I gave up on it around season 3 i think. The same happened with Walking Dead in se2, just gave up. Haven't revisited either show in ages.

The Nightmare Rider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:58 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

Yeah i vaguely recall there was an entire MLP thread wasn't there? I don't visit the forums much...

Well I did a search for the MLP Thread, and it was locked with Derigin saying that it could be discussed in the TV shows thread or the Cartoons thread (the latter of which I could not find). Morrigan is listed as a moderator so we have a contradiction here. Is there anyone who could clear this up?

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:21 pm 

^sweet. Yeah like I said I'm not on the forums much but I definitely remember there being one yeah they're both long time mods/admins . Not sure sure where they want you to go from here. Besides the obligatory. "Quit watching that show" comment, of course.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:30 pm 

Morrigan always outranks anyone else on this site, so no contradiction ;) No bronyism on this board. The internet is a big place, you'll manage.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:14 pm 

Marathoned season 2 of Downton Abbey yesterday with two female friends. I'm not sure what to think about how much I like it. It's like Jane Austen but better.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:34 pm 

No. It. Is. Not!

Wedge_Antilles
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:11 pm 

All set for the season premiere of Archer! Can't wait for another season of awesome.

The Nightmare Rider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:13 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Morrigan always outranks anyone else on this site, so no contradiction ;) No bronyism on this board. The internet is a big place, you'll manage.

What the hell is "Bronyism"? Seriously, people are turning people liking a cartoon into a condition or something now? Anti-Bronies make so little sense.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:39 pm 

I've never been one to say "I don't watch TV", but I never seem to ever watch/get into anything popular.

The list of shows that "everyone" watches which I have never seen, or simply thought were crap is endless... Like, the kinds of shows people, even strangers, actually expect you to be up on and be able to make small talk about... I haven't seen (or have any interest in seeing) many of them. The rest I just don't like at all, period.

Point being, I rarely "get into" TV shows... except cartoons/ID/syndicated older shows.

I've been enjoying Portlandia a lot, though. Before anyone says anything, yes, I know it's really retarded and totally devoid of any kind of real character development or plot, but I love it anyway.

It parodies everything I always imaged I'd simultaneously love and hate about Portland (a place I've never been but have wanted to visit for a long time, because it seems like the sort of stupid hippie shithole I could fit into happily enough).

It's fun...

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:36 pm 

For those who fancy 'Suits', a show which is like 'House' except that it's based out of a lawyer firm, has just resumed its second season.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:16 pm 

Watching some reruns of King Of The Hill. Great show, but Bobby is annoying as hell.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:33 pm 

Just watched the series finale of Fringe, it was good, no surprises not at all shocking. I don't Really think they could've done anything other than what they did so I'm ok with how it ended.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:27 am 

Started watching Firefly again, I forgot how much I love this show.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:47 pm 

Yeah, I watched two episodes of Portlandia and I'm unsure how I feel about it. On one hand I laughed quite a bit at the first episode and it's the most hipster thing ever so I should love it. On the other, somethung about it rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's that the_raytownian likes it :p

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:56 pm 

shouvince wrote:
For those who fancy 'Suits', a show which is like 'House' except that it's based out of a lawyer firm, has just resumed its second season.

:lol: Suits wishes it could remotely compare to House. For starters, no one on that show has anything on the brilliance of Hugh Laurie and Robert Sean Leonard, and from what I've seen, the writing seems much less complex. Thanks for the laugh though. If I ever find another show that legitimately compares to House, I think I will soil myself.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:22 pm 

Aye, House in it's early seasons was a triumph. Too bad it degenerated so much throughout the years.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:27 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
shouvince wrote:

:lol: Suits wishes it could remotely compare to House. For starters, no one on that show has anything on the brilliance of Hugh Laurie and Robert Sean Leonard, and from what I've seen, the writing seems much less complex. Thanks for the laugh though. If I ever find another show that legitimately compares to House, I think I will soil myself.

Touchy much? Before you went all fanboy on me, I probably should've clarified that what I was aiming at the fact that both shows had/have the protagonists solving crimes/issues brought forward in each episode. More or less, yes. And you can get off your high horse now and know that I'm a fan of Hugh Laurie as well. Pshaw.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:43 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Yeah, I watched two episodes of Portlandia and I'm unsure how I feel about it. On one hand I laughed quite a bit at the first episode and it's the most hipster thing ever so I should love it. On the other, somethung about it rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's that the_raytownian likes it :p

aw. :(

I didn't know I was that detested around here.
Feels pretty cool... :panda:

On the subject of the show, I think some episodes/viginettes kinda fall flat or just don't have the same entertainment value as others, but I still really enjoy it in general. The more outrageously-stereotypical-yet-plausible characters and scenarios, the better and funnier they seem to be.

It doesn't always work as well if they stray too far from that formula, I think.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:49 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Aye, House in it's early seasons was a triumph. Too bad it degenerated so much throughout the years.

:nazi: Shame on youuuuu

Anyway, I've enjoyed all seasons of House because honestly... they were all the same to me. Status quo barely changed (just new staff sometimes) but it was very formulaic, and stuck to the formula til pretty much the end, so I don't really get those who say the early seasons were so much better. At least Cameron was gone later on, boy was she annoying and not entertaining. :P

shouvince wrote:
Touchy much? Before you went all fanboy on me, I probably should've clarified that what I was aiming at the fact that both shows had/have the protagonists solving crimes/issues brought forward in each episode. More or less, yes. And you can get off your high horse now and know that I'm a fan of Hugh Laurie as well. Pshaw.
Wow, look at his posts, then look at yours. Clearly he's not the one being touchy here...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:55 pm 

Damn. It was a typo I tell you! Of COURSE it was formulaic but the formula worked. The problem with the later seasons is that the writing became lazy, they didn't take characters into interesting directions, the new characters were not interesting, and the number of really funny things House said per episode were drastically reduced.
@the_raytownian: You know I'm playin' bruv.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:01 pm 

To be honest I cared about none of the side characters (except maybe Wilson and Cuddy), and if anything, I liked some of the later staff members more than the early ones, at least they were kind of entertaining sometimes. Cameron, Chase and Forman were :zzz:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:07 pm 

You take that back about Chase! He killed a dictator damn it! But I will admit that apart from the ones you mentioned, Chase and Kutner, I never cared about the secondary characters. Foreman sucks super hard. Whenever an episode would focus on him a lot I would sigh. I think another problem with the later seasons (not that they didn't have a few exceptional episodes) is that they focused less on humour.
House spiraling deeper into addiction, when he finally got with Cuddy the dynamic was less compelling etc. The exception being Wilson's cancer and him losing his girlfriend. Poor Wilson.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:16 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
shouvince wrote:
Wow, look at his posts, then look at yours. Clearly he's not the one being touchy here...

...and it sure ain't me too :) I was merely clarifying. Besides, I got no beef with the show. In fact, I used to love House till the latter years of the last decade. Apart from House's shenanigans, I remember that the first ever diagnosis was always...LUPUS! And then they'd go for lung biopsy and possibly a lumbar puncture for good measure. Goodness, those words are forever etched in my memory.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:30 pm 

I think House had strong moments throughout the show. Season 1 was a bit shaky, as it felt like they were playing around with how comfortable they were with making House a complete and total ass (plus Laurie still retained a bit of a British accent for the first several episodes), season 2 was very strong, by season 3 the Foreman-Chase-Cameron dynamic was starting to wear thin. The Tritter arc was very fun, but after that ended the season felt fairly directionless. Season 4 was, surprisingly, still very strong, with Amber, Kutner, and Thirteen all presenting themselves as very strong characters (Taub can be a bit whiny), and in all honesty was probably saved by the writer's strike. Seasons tend to hit a slump around the last 1/3 of their duration, but cutting the season down to 16 episodes made for a concise season with a high degree of quality. Season 5 was the worst season by far, with the middle (episodes 7-19) more or less sucking for the most part with only a couple of reprieves. Season 6 was a slight recovery, but far too patchy, and as much as I love the gimmicks like
House and Wilson being gay and Wilson being in a porno
, it seemed like they were running out of material, and the finale flat out sucked. Season seven was also a bit patchy, but it did bring a new dynamic to the field and gave House some new problems to deal with, especially after the breakup. A couple of the episodes towards the end there rank among my top 10 favorite House episodes ever, especially the finale. Christ, the finale. Season 8 had a very strange, detached feel to it
without Cuddy, with House on parole, and with Foreman as Dean of Medicine
but Park and Adams are both pretty quirky characters, despite the fact that I prefer Thirteen to both of them. As to the finale, well we don't really talk about that. The finale was a sellout, and I like to pretend it ends
with House dying in the fire and the funeral scene being over an actual death.
. Still probably the best show I've yet to come across, with pretty damn consistent writing (barring a couple of rough patches), and top-notch acting all around, even from the supporting cast.

tl;dr - I am indeed a House fanboy, but I feel my reaction was completely justified by how awesome House is and how lame Suits is. Plus, House's character is sort of my idol.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:16 am 

Hmm. 'Suits' is a toddler compared to 'House' in terms of how both have impacted viewers. Still early days. And I wouldn't make a blanket statement and call 'Suits' lame. I think the show had its good moments especially in the first two seasons. The brilliance of Mike is somewhat incredible but how everything gets woven together with the routine cases at Pearson Hardman is something that I like. If one can probably scratch the surface of the show, you'd enjoy the smaller things like Louis Litt's eternal quest to get be better than Harvey, or the exchanges between Donna and Harvey's character (clearly, there's a past waiting to be unveiled), Harvey's own past and many more. Of late, the recent episodes have been getting a bit boring with the recurring issue of Mike's real identity being revealed. I find that really silly on the writers' part. They should just look forward after having addressed that way too many times in the past.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 182  Next