Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:08 pm 

Upon revisitation, Atlantean Kodex still kind of sucks. On the other hand, Candlemass' Nightfall kicks ass. :thumbsup: The Sacred Balance™ broods unperturbed.

The moment in "At the Gallows End" where the end of the chorus climbs unexpectedly into the solo section at 4:05 is hair-raising, definitely one of my favorite bit of metalia in recent memory. :metal:

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:48 pm 

So I've been listening to this band called 'Ophidian I' from Iceland...and they reminded me a bit of the mighty Quo Vadis. Sucks that QV was put on hold. Are there any rumors or talks of them restarting the band? Any fans of the band?

Last edited by shouvince on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:07 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Upon revisitation, Atlantean Kodex still kind of sucks. On the other hand, Candlemass' Nightfall kicks ass.

Bought both of these albums recently, what didn't you like about Atlantean Kodex? I think they kick some serious arse. Maybe not as strong as Candlemass, Solstice or DoomSword in the epic doom scenes, but very strong overall I'd say. The vocalist might be a little hit or miss in some areas, but that glorious guitar tone man.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:26 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Upon revisitation, Atlantean Kodex still kind of sucks. On the other hand, Candlemass' Nightfall kicks ass. :thumbsup: The Sacred Balance™ broods unperturbed.

The moment in "At the Gallows End" where the end of the chorus climbs unexpectedly into the solo section at 4:05 is hair-raising, definitely one of my favorite bit of metalia in recent memory. :metal:

Nightfall, for me, is the absolute pinnacle of that epic doom style. I wouldn't change a single thing.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:37 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Upon revisitation, Atlantean Kodex still kind of sucks.

Yeah, for me they're one of those bands that I'd like to like, since I dig pretty much everything about them except the actual songwriting. They're a band that would be right up my alley if they weren't so mediocre, but it's like the songs never GO anywhere, they just meander around and then end.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:14 pm 

So I got my girlfriend a boxset with all the Harry Potter movies. She is kind of a fan. And even though I enjoy them, watching them in a row is no good for your health I assure you :lol:

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:41 pm 

shouvince wrote:
So I've been listening to this band called 'Ophidian I' from Iceland...and they reminded me a bit of the mighty Quo Vadis. Sucks that QV was put on hold. Are there any rumors or talks of them restarting the band? Any fans of the band?

Bart had health problems (and I think surgery on both of his knees) and was in and out of hospitals for some time apparently and then he lost a bunch of equipment after a lightning strike sent a power surge through the studio or something like that and fried everything. Basically, the dude's kinda had the worst luck ever over the last 2 years or so. Dunno about new material though. As of August 20th, 2012, they've gotten most of the shit in the studio back up and working and they said their would be more news to come, however that hasn't happened yet.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:10 am 

First, I'm definitely going to the MDF thursday show, I'll no doubt be wearing a vest with a motorhead back patch and will cause massive shit-storm should I not get a hold of any BT merch :-P

Second. it's exactly 666 miles from wear I live, which is some freaky foreshadowing.

450splush
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:39 am 

http://blood-lust3.deviantart.com/

This is my girlfriend's deviantart. Thought some metalheads would like it.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:47 am 

Had a pretty good night out at Ignivomous, Portal and Marduk. Ignivomous' set was really, really short, and with their mediocre sound it wasn't until the second last song that I was able to really get into it and actually start recognising those excellent riffs. Chris Volcano ended the night at my usual Melbourne drinking pub, so it was pretty cool to end the night with a chat with him and his entertainingly not very metal girlfriend/wife whatever as she went through my shirt haul calling the designs "nice" like an old lady looking at christmas themed sweaters, and Chris explaining to her that Disma are an American death metal band in simple terms.

Marduk's sound was pretty average considering they're a large internetational band headlining at a venue with generally good sound. Mortuus is a fan of that Oi! Oi! Oi bullshit, which kinda fagged it up a bit, but they looked cool and the music was solid.

Portal though. I've said it before, but jesus fucking christ, they are an amazing live act. This time I got to be leaning on the stage with the band playing with a good sound which rumbled though my ribcage, one of the best sets I've ever seen. They're amazing.

Then add all that to a good night out with a friend who I haven't seen in a year or two and it was a pretty great night

/FFA Diary entry.

Last edited by lord_ghengis on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:50 am 

We have this thread too, ya know! viewtopic.php?f=18&t=62580

I'd like to see Ignivomous live :(

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:21 am 

Ah that's where you moved it, I looked through the Metal Discussion board for it.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:48 am 

I think I'm gonna keep working on my screenplay. It probably won't amount to much too soon, but I can at least always keep it on the side. That and reworking songs. Tonight is a work night it seems.

How's every one else?

Lol

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:53 am 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:
Upon revisitation, Atlantean Kodex still kind of sucks. On the other hand, Candlemass' Nightfall kicks ass.

Bought both of these albums recently, what didn't you like about Atlantean Kodex? I think they kick some serious arse. Maybe not as strong as Candlemass, Solstice or DoomSword in the epic doom scenes, but very strong overall I'd say. The vocalist might be a little hit or miss in some areas, but that glorious guitar tone man.

The guitar tone's fine, I mean there are plenty of good ingredients to their style, but the vocals aren't strong enough to complete the mood most of the time and some of the songwriting is kind of bland...plus they occasionally pull annoying stop-start shenanigans that don't do anything but fuck up the aesthetic flow. In a lot of ways they remind me of some sort of Christian metal outfit, while paradoxically championing the opposite ideology :scratch: Still probably enjoy them more than Doomsword or Solstice, though.

failsafeman wrote:
Yeah, for me they're one of those bands that I'd like to like, since I dig pretty much everything about them except the actual songwriting. They're a band that would be right up my alley if they weren't so mediocre, but it's like the songs never GO anywhere, they just meander around and then end.

Yeah, their stuff could do with some tightening up. Either that or... actually, you know what? Tasteful keyboards could probably do wonders for them. Or some arching backing guitars, or...something. Something to heighten a sense of fullness or grandness in their aesthetic. As it stands, The Golden Bough aspires to this epic vibe but ends up feeling a bit thin somehow. But yes, the main thing is they just need better songwriting and stronger vocals.

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Nightfall, for me, is the absolute pinnacle of that epic doom style. I wouldn't change a single thing.

That'd be Scald for me :thumbsup: Will of the Gods is Great Power is a truly awesome, beautiful album, and I daresay it won't be surpassed in the epic heavy/doom field anytime soon.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:02 am 

Duane Eddie's Lonely Guitar is far more depressing than anything any DSBM band has ever released. Some lessons could be learned from that dude.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:24 am 

I love Scald; I'm not too fond of that style of doom, generally, but they just imbue it with such an incredible atmosphere.

lord_ghengis wrote:
Had a pretty good night out at Ignivomous, Portal and Marduk. Ignivomous' set was really, really short, and with their mediocre sound it wasn't until the second last song that I was able to really get into it and actually start recognising those excellent riffs. Chris Volcano ended the night at my usual Melbourne drinking pub, so it was pretty cool to end the night with a chat with him and his entertainingly not very metal girlfriend/wife whatever as she went through my shirt haul calling the designs "nice" like an old lady looking at christmas themed sweaters, and Chris explaining to her that Disma are an American death metal band in simple terms.

Marduk's sound was pretty average considering they're a large internetational band headlining at a venue with generally good sound. Mortuus is a fan of that Oi! Oi! Oi bullshit, which kinda fagged it up a bit, but they looked cool and the music was solid.

Portal though. I've said it before, but jesus fucking christ, they are an amazing live act. This time I got to be leaning on the stage with the band playing with a good sound which rumbled though my ribcage, one of the best sets I've ever seen. They're amazing.

Then add all that to a good night out with a friend who I haven't seen in a year or two and it was a pretty great night

/FFA Diary entry.

Yeah, Portal absolutely blew my mind; I was in the front row for that, right against one of the speakers; they were so gloriously loud and intense, it seemed like I could feel the sound move through my bones and veins. Utterly fantastic. :headbang: I was sad to see Ignivomous play such a short set (and leave out the "Circle..." cover), but - while the sound was far better at their recent Central Club gig - they were still pretty impressive. Didn't get around to greeting Scorntyrant - sorry, dude, you looked like you were being hounded by a few people at various points - but caught up with Matthew briefly. It was a great night for me, too; finally, a gig that lots of my metalhead friends attended (I was there with about a dozen people) and that drew many people with whom I hadn't caught up in a while. (Sorry for continuing the deviation from the thread here, Tony; I'll shift my response to the reviews thread once the gig is mentioned there)

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:27 am 

Marduk and Portal are playing in Sydney tonight, but I can't watch them because I have to leave shortly for an engagement party. :( Glad to hear you two had fun.

I spent the last week in Melbourne, though, and that was awesome.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:47 am 

Ah, that sucks; actually, the friend who'd most been looking forward to seeing them last night had to go to a wedding instead... Bad timing all 'round, it seems.

Good to hear you had fun here - despite the heat. :)

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:03 am 

Just wanted to say that Into Everlasting Fire is a ridiculously fun song to play on guitar. That's all.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:17 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:

Fuck yeah! 'Nightfall' is a killer album. Candlemass was probably the big discovery of 2012 for me. Not really a discovery, but that's when I really got into them. :headbang:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:44 am 

To put my two cents into the last two pages: TFS rules, best parody of anything ever. Nightfall is one of the best albums ever created (at the Gallows End and Samarithan are musical perfection.) Atlantean Kodex are OKAY. I didn't like them for the longest times but re-listened to them about two months ago and found them good enough. Nowhere near the best band in the style, but they have some cool passages (especially that one that's basically the chorus melody from Deep Purple's Child in Time). Necro out!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:16 am 

I'm one of the few metal people I know that kinda prefers Epicus to Nightfall. Both albums are absolute perfection, but I'm drawn just a bit more to the stuff on Epicus, particularly Crystal Ball and Solitude. Two of the most perfect songs ever.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:26 am 

Bro, I prefer Epicus too. Nightfall has some crazy heights, but Epicus is just spine tingling from beginning to end. Fucking Black Stone Wielder man. Johan Lanquist is a legend. :headbang:

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:00 am 

Epicus is a sentimental favourite for me - one of my first doom albums, and still capable of blowing me away. I still remember the day I first heard it: the dude at my favourite record store (spent hours in their listening booths every day after school) handed it to me and told me to check it out when he saw that I was buying Cathedral's 'Garden of Unearthly Delights'.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:04 am 

Scald's okay, the singer's great but the music's a bit too static. They're mostly just happy to plod along in a mildly entertaining fashion for about 8 minutes and then they'll call it a song. :P I guess my complaints are similar to those failsy has about the Atlantean Kodex. I don't think AK are particularly exciting in the studio, yet, but if you get the chance go see them live.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:33 am 

Calusari wrote:
Ah, that sucks; actually, the friend who'd most been looking forward to seeing them last night had to go to a wedding instead... Bad timing all 'round, it seems.

Good to hear you had fun here - despite the heat. :)

Yeah, definitely seems that way! I did have a great time in Melbourne. Would like to come back.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:32 am 

I've just found this recent interview with HellBlazer about MA. Interesting. :)

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:32 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Scald's okay, the singer's great but the music's a bit too static. They're mostly just happy to plod along in a mildly entertaining fashion for about 8 minutes and then they'll call it a song. :P

It did take me a few go-rounds with the album to fully open my ears to it, but since then it's become one of the few albums where virtually every song gives me chills. Agyl's vocals are amazing (heightened by those eerie backing layers), the riffwork is absolutely rugged, each instrumental voice is surprisingly active despite the relatively simple template of the songwriting, the compositions flow amazingly well, and the lead guitars bring so much beauty to the overall experience, either sculpting ornate shapes around the bodies of verses or piercing to the heart with disarmingly poignant solos. All bathed in a heroic, mythic atmosphere. :hyper: The overall songwriting is rather ponderous, yes, but I'd say it's actually pretty tightly composed for heavy, epic metal. Nothing ever overstays its welcome, and the heights reached on the album are simply breathtaking.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:37 am 

Yeah, Scald's record quickly became one of my all-time favourite albums. I've listened to it countless times by now and it never even begins to get old for me. Always an epic experience.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:48 pm 

I have returned, FFA thread, for my revenge!

A while ago I claimed that within the cover of Reign In Blood is one of those optical illusions depicting a portrait of Hitler's mug. Despite the fact that this claim wasn't far fetched at all considering the lyrical content of the album (even the damn goat headed figure on the throne is heiling for crying out loud), my claim was dismissed as:
Crick wrote:
Clearly you are suffering from a classic case of False Hitler Vision. You're seeing Hitlers where there are no Hitlers.

So I, the conspiracy theorist, have returned to you with evidence. Really I could have done this on paint a while ago but only today was I bothered:

Spoiler: show

Now with that in mind, look at the original at a pretty low resolution:

What do you say now, unbelievers?

Last edited by Poisonfume on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:18 pm 

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Norrin_Radd_1436/

Chiptune death metal.

Quote:
Anomaly is the newest album from Canadian chiptune artist, Norrin_Radd. Four years in the making, Anomaly is a concept album following a mortal traveler exposed to the horrors of infinite time and space. Musically, Anomaly weaves together the genres of technical death metal, prog rock, and thrash into extremely complex and anomalous arrangements. Arrangements created to mirror the confusion of the horrified traveler.

Really strange stuff ...

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:51 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:

Still doesn't look anything like Hitler. Also, I'm pretty sure that he didn't wear a flattop.

Here's another (partial) face for you:

oneyoudontknow wrote:
Chiptune death metal.

Chiptune is good for some things, unfortunately not for a full death metal album. I will say though that the riffs do kick a lot of ass. I'd really like to hear the album with real instruments.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:29 pm 

Come now. The features in your face aren't defined at all, and I see what you're trying to tell me by that but by the gods all I see every time I look at this album cover is Hitler's goddamn ugly mug.

And it isn't necessarily a flattop. You obviously know what his hair looked like--the part that I highlighted is the right side of his hair as he combed it.

Someone needs to back me up on this, badly. Nibiru is real and 9/11 was an inside job!

EDIT: the arm of the figure at the bottom is his lower lip. It's like those optical illusions, try not to focus on the trees but on the forest itself. I will contact the band/artwork artist if I have to, I'm not crazy.

Last edited by Poisonfume on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:30 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:

Uh, that you're crazy, maybe?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:31 pm 

Poisonfume, I think that you have stared at RIB's cover a few too many times.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:33 pm 

Noooooo how do they not see it, how do they not understand?!

This is actually quite cathartic an experience. It's a strange feeling to be so convinced you hear the voices when everyone tells you they're not there.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:37 pm 

Well, at least you're better than the conspiracy theorists I know. Bloody hell, paranoia can seriously fuck up someone's mind.....

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:44 pm 

At the very least I demand acknowledgment of even slight similarity, be it coincidental or not. Then I'll let it go (though by all means, long-time-lurkers-but-never-actually-posters, if you see the light and hear the voice too come and support my ass).

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:45 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
At the very least I demand acknowledgment of even slight similarity, be it coincidental or not.

Nope.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:55 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I'm one of the few metal people I know that kinda prefers Epicus to Nightfall. Both albums are absolute perfection, but I'm drawn just a bit more to the stuff on Epicus, particularly Crystal Ball and Solitude. Two of the most perfect songs ever.

I'm this way too. I just like the songs better on Epicus, and the production as well. I'm also a special snowflake that prefers Johann as a vocalist. Not to bash Messiah of course; he's still amazing.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 755, 756, 757, 758, 759, 760, 761 ... 827  Next