Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:19 am 

Hey everybody! I am a 17 year old drummer from Michigan that plays in my two-piece Thrash Metal band Cataclysmic. My guitarist and I met in highschool and eventually we began to find out that we shared similar music tates, and that we lived down the street from each other! We formed a band under a different name while he was still in Michigan and kicked it off from there. Unfortunately, he had to move out of Michigan and return to his homestate Oklahoma (His family is Native American and his father was retiring from the military). However, this past summer I had the opportunity to fly down to Dallas, Texas and stay with them and continue our perennial quest. We lived in Durant (some call it Texoma) and had the chance to play quite a few shows in both states. At the end of the summer I left and returned home to finish highschool (which will be this month: graduating a semester ealy) and plan on flying down again soon.

We have a 6 song demo entitled "Masked Insanity" and this is the first track to it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9lm5sFfCgY4
We also have two others on youtube you can listen to aswell. My request is simply your opinion. All feedback is welcome. Thanks for your time. -Alex

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:03 am 

We just uploaded Celestial Monstrosity aswell, the 6th and final track to the demo!
Check it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQo-D4ufsFE

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:34 pm 

Wish someone would give me their honest opinion of either of these songs!

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:57 pm 

Not a bad song, but that guitar tone/ mix is absolute shit. I really can't enjoy it because it's so weak and shitty sounding and I didn't even know there was bass on the track till it broke down to just the bass part. I can see how it would be good but I can't really offer much more than that until you get a better recording... doesn't even have to be polished or anything cause I love raw shit... but it sounds like he just plugged directly into the computer and went with it.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:08 pm 

Well to be entirely honest, that's exactly what he did lol. We recorded in the garage using a program called Studio One (very lo-fi). The production could obviously be far better. This demo is simply setting the scene for us and determinig the direction of our sound, without setting limits. We're hoping to get into an actual studio this summer to record an EP (Mainly new songs, but we may remaster some of these). I appreciate the feedback though! Recording is definitely not one of our strongsuits and it's going to be something I'll have to look more into and become knowledgable about over time.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:29 pm 

yea once you have that down I'm betting you would get a much better response. cause the drums sound pretty good as they are but everything needs a tighter and more powerful presence. cause what I can make out it sounds like it would be some pretty good thrash that borders in death metal.

Only other thing I would suggest is just my personal preference on how you drummed to the song I listened to, I think after the first section of double bass and it kinda kicked into the song I think it would've sounded stronger with the standard thrash beat of snare kick. and during some of the trill picking where you did the triplet style kick pattern I would've probalby done more just double bass. But like I said it's more of my preference on how I would've probably played.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:44 pm 

Right on man! These recordings are about 6 months old anyways (the drum tracks are at least.) I've gotten better since then, and plan on refining some of my beats in that song. What did you think about Celestial Monstrosity? The bass is MUCH more prominent in that song (which is one flaw of the production of this demo-each song sounds like it's mixed differently). We've been searching high and low for a bassist aswell, but the only ones we've found have been beyond mediocre. Alot of my favorite bands are three-pieces too (Coroner and Destruction for instance)! They just stand out more to me.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:25 pm 

that one did sound a bit better, but the bass tone is really flat and frrty sounding. but it was nice to hear it. it sounded a little awkward for me in the begining and then it went better. Kinda seemed a bit long to me like it could've been shaved down a tad, but overall sounded good. good luck finding a bassist.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:36 pm 

Thanks dude! I'm sure we'll stumble across the man (or woman) most appropriate for the gig in due time. However, in the meantime, I think you would appreciate this a little more than the other two songs. In my opinion, this is our best mix on the record that we have released to the ears of the public. We still have two more unreleased tracks on the physical demo that havn't made it online yet.

But here it is. Haunted Sanctum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFgjUW8Hdd8

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:56 pm 

Thank you everyone who liked/commented on or even just took the time to listen to any of those songs!!!! You are appreciated in multitudes.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:42 am 

As a means of bumping this thread, I'm going to promote one of my favorite bands: Obliveon. Obliveon fucking rules and is one of the less known progressive/technical death metal masterminds of the late 80's/early 90's. Their first two records are solid gold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9vYf7r3wUo

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:06 pm 

We just uploaded the last two tracks of the demo. Here is SLAY THE EMPEROR: our proudest work in my opinion. Keep in mind that we are just a two piece and the recordings are rough, but I'm willing to accept all feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYzn_vYwVkU

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:41 pm 

bump :)

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:12 am 

Your newest ones sound good! Very strong riffage as I would expect of guys big into Destruction and Coroner and good drumming too.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:00 pm 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Your newest ones sound good! Very strong riffage as I would expect of guys big into Destruction and Coroner and good drumming too.

Thanks alot!! Really means something when someone personally compliments the drums! Our EP is going to sound much more mature. Leaning more towards black/thrash with minimal blast beats.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Reply to topic