Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:53 am 

ಠ_ಠ

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:31 am 

Subrick wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Not gonna lie guys, I kinda liked Come Clarity. Thought the first half was pretty damn solid, plus the track they did with that girl, "Dead End" methinks, was excellent.

Come Clarity was the first In Flames album I ever heard. As shitty as they've become nowadays, many of those songs still are special for me.

I think the guitar work in Come Clarity covers up for Anders' shitty vocals. Gelotte is a fantastic guitarist, very few will argue on that.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:32 am 

It still really sucks that they have become as bad as they are. Their 90s albums were so goddamn good.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:00 am 

2012 will probably go down as the year for bringing to light so many scandals in many of the not so great institutions

Public trust in them is at an all time low

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libor_scandal

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:01 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Jackoroth wrote:
While I can't stand new In Flames, I've been spinning their older stuff like The Jester Race, does anyone know if they still play their older stuff like that album live?
I think I'd be able to cope seeing them play their newer, shitfest stuff if I could hear them play their a fair portion of their older works.

I saw them about five years ago, and the only pre-Clayman track they played was Morphing into Primal. And the only song from whichever album was after that (totally drawing a blank right now) was Cloud Connected. Otherwise? Entirely new stuff.

I saw them five years back too. And the only pre-Clayman track they played was 'Graveland' from TJR. The rest were Clayman and beyond till Come Clarity. I didn't mind the then newer songs (circa 2006, not the new shit) too much but I did mind their silly matching uniforms. Anyway, I enjoy the earlier stuff as most would agree as well.

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:04 am 

Well, after maybe a year-and-a-half of listening to King of The Dead (song not the album), Cirith Ungol has finally grown on me. Their music is the embodiment of cheese, but it's so damn good.

mindshadow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:49 am 

"Destroy the family, and you destroy society"

..then you can re-build it I presume, everyone the same, everyone equal, everyone paying their dues..

http://www.geekosystem.com/wp-content/u ... attery.jpg

you think that's air you're breathing now? hmm

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:04 am 

mindshadow wrote:
2012 will probably go down as the year for bringing to light so many scandals in many of the not so great institutions

Tell me about it. In Germany alone we had
- the investigation of a Nazi murdering spree gone public showing incompetence and corruption of the authorities
- a capital airport building site cost explosion and failed completion ridiculously behind schedule
- revealed widespread illegal favoritism in organ donations
- someone called Göring becoming leading candidate of a major German party (not really a scandal, just throwing that in here)
- KKK members working as police officers (funfact: even the Klan thought they were a little bit too extremist)
- a major German party apparently routinely manipulating the press
- resignation of the Bundespräsident due to corruption scandal
- even more politicians with plagiarized doctoral theses
...and a bunch of other stuff I don't remember right now.

mindshadow wrote:
dystopian nonsense

Oh stop the fatalism. You are being ridiculous.

VoidApostle wrote:
Well, after maybe a year-and-a-half of listening to King of The Dead (song not the album), Cirith Ungol has finally grown on me. Their music is the embodiment of cheese, but it's so damn good.

They are no more cheesy than other 80s heavy metal. Much less than Iron Maiden for example.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:16 am 

Subrick wrote:
It still really sucks that they have become as bad as they are. Their 90s albums were so goddamn good.

They are still able to make some great songs, though. I'm the Highway is absolutely amazing. The whole of ASOP is pretty decent actually.

@ Inhumanist.

There was also something about a extreme right party almost getting banned, right? I know that Germany had some problem with those in the past, but banning a party is pretty much exactly the same thing what happened back then.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:16 am 

To hark back to the discussion about Abyssal that was going on a few pages ago, anyone looking for more high-quality one-man death metal should look no further than The Wakedead Gathering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M1am8n3E1Y

Too bad the new Dark Circles EP isn't listenable anywhere online yet, but Tenements of Ephemera is a damn good full-length, excellently executed and carefully composed. Might not be news to some of you, but revisiting this now I thought I'd bring it up again for those not yet aware.

His side project Debauch sounds rather good as well:

http://debauchdoom.bandcamp.com/album/the-seeping-wound

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:35 pm 

^ Neat, I'll check those out. I just got into Abyssal.

I posted videos earlier about robots playing different instruments, now here's the full band...well sorta.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... c4ZA9WJEuI

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:03 pm 

Just posted this in the rec threads, but doesn't hurt to try here as well.

Innsmouth's "The Plutonian Drug" is fantastic, and likely not many here have heard it, so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT-MjbV-3Zc

Any recs on similar artists this might bring to mind?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:27 pm 

Two things:

1) Everybody should listen to more Descendents than they currently do

2) Early contender for funniest thing I've seen all year
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:36 pm 

Oh my, yes. I laughed so hard when Snowgrave linked that.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:39 pm 

It's the king of comedy, there's nothing at all about that picture that isn't funny.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:21 pm 

JohnnyDays wrote:
albuns

yum.

mindshadow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:17 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Rule 42: All persons more than a mile high must leave the court immediately

If only it was all nonsense then I could at least wake, but I'm not Alice or asleep you see, unfortunately (asleep that is)

Mad Hatter: Teeeea?

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:07 pm 

This Red krayola cover is great, listening to this album is making me want to take some drugs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le1exuOWtl0

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:13 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

1) Indeed. "All" is pretty much the only song where I have the lyrics memorized by heart.

2) That was pretty funny.

On the topic of In Flames, I've heard most of their stuff, and in my opinion Colony is their only album worth hearing. It's still bubblegum extreme metal, but it's damn catchy. I can't stand the vast majority of their work.

Seraphengorger
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:20 pm 

First, I still cant log on as TES on this stupid thing, second, and more important, I just ordered a metric shit-ton of patch's and two vinyls, its the first time I've been able to.... aquire music in a way I'm proud of for a while, I'm very happy about that.

The vinyls, for anyone curious are Children of Technology's Mayhemic speed metal and Midnight's split with Toxic Holocaust.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:26 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
To hark back to the discussion about Abyssal that was going on a few pages ago, anyone looking for more high-quality one-man death metal should look no further than The Wakedead Gathering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M1am8n3E1Y

Too bad the new Dark Circles EP isn't listenable anywhere online yet, but Tenements of Ephemera is a damn good full-length, excellently executed and carefully composed. Might not be news to some of you, but revisiting this now I thought I'd bring it up again for those not yet aware.

His side project Debauch sounds rather good as well:

http://debauchdoom.bandcamp.com/album/the-seeping-wound

Wow, thanks for these, Starmere! In my view, The Wakedead Gathering doesn't quite match up to Abyssal (just listened to their new record - daaaamn, are these folks even human? A churning, tormented maelstrom that you've got to hear to believe.), but has that chaotic feel that I'm coming to really enjoy. Debauch is so different, but pretty damn brilliant, in a more familiar sense - just the kind of doomy old school death metal I love; absolutely crushing. Bought the album immediately. A good day for death metal.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:21 am 

:beer: But of course! I still have yet to dig into Abyssal for real (will probably pick up both albums off Bandcamp tomorrow), but what I heard before reminded me immediately of TWG in terms of instrumentation and compositional feel, which was great because it prompted me to revisit and reevaluate Tenements of Ephemera, and I'm really glad I did so. Gotta love that cover art, too. I wish Dark Circles were 'Campable, life would be so much easier.

Apropos of nothing in particular, just ordered Blut Aus Nord's 777: Cosmosophy. The 777 trilogy has been quite interesting so far and I'm hoping the third installment won't prove a letdown. These discs haven't been BAN's absolute strongest work to date, but are great entries in the catalogue nonetheless... accomplished, forward-thinking, compelling and successfully experimental metal of a very high order.

Say, Calusari, have you heard BAN's What Once Was...Liber I? If you're looking for a great example of death metal in a ghastly new dress, you'd do well to give it a listen. It's a fantastically fucked up reforging of the death metal vision...mutant and harrowing. Now some might tell you it's black metal, but I think the riffs will tell you otherwise. It's closer to a black metal soul fused to a death metal body, and the results are as unnerving as can be.

Last edited by Under_Starmere on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:41 am 

Yes, fortunately more and more bands are using bandcamp, but not nearly enough; 'Dark Circles' is apparently available from the band's own store for a very low price, but I'd prefer to hear it first. Though if it's anything like 'Tenements...', it'd certainly be worth it.

I haven't, actually, heard that EP; I've not checked out much of BAN's back-catalogue, having only heard a few songs from various parts of the 777 trilogy. Their extensive discography has been a little intimidating to approach. Would you happen to have any links to a site where I could listen to that EP? YouTube is filled with BAN, but I can't actually find 'What Once Was...'.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:20 am 

Hmm...yeah, it seems like it's been taken off YouTube and I can't come up with anything else right now. I guess you'll have to find it through, eh...ahem...alternative channels...

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:31 am 

Abyssal is very very cool, this and the new Cult of Luna are making the first week of January a cool one.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:58 am 

Abyssal didn't impress me much, a bit too Antediluvian-esque for me. Anyone tried the new Fen yet? I'm intrigued to see if they're a one hit wonder.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:04 am 

Abyssal are better than cool, they're generous. A pay-what-you-like option for a masterpiece, complete with artwork and lyrics is truly giving and must be commended. On top of that only a one year wait between releases, that hasn't been done since like the 70's.

With all that being said, Abyssal has to make them self better known. More interviews, regular updates, merch, press releases, tours, etc.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:20 am 

Yeah...even on a casual browse through the tracks on this new Abyssal album I'm already very intrigued. Will purchase! This reminds you of Antediluvian, ghengis? Hmm... alright. Definitely getting an altogether different aura here, namely some French black metal influence, but whatevs. This fucking destroys that Bound by Entrails shite people were getting all excited about here earlier this year. :)

Gotta give that Owl album from last year a full listen soon. That was one that I meant to get to and then it sort of fell through the cracks. Hemmm... HEEMMM *ostentatious beard strokings*

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:26 am 

Reminds me of Incantation slowed down, it has some Antediluvian, some Loss and it has the aura and presence of The Ruins of Beverast. I added doom to their MA genre, I feel it was needed. I'm gonna check out their debut soon.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:50 am 

This page has a sample track from The Wakedead Gathering's Dark Circles:

http://www.i-voidhanger.com/the_wakedea ... ircles.htm

Sounds good enough, though the mixing feels a bit off. Not exactly blowing me away, but the full EP experience might be better.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:54 am 

@Starmere & Calusari

Your conversation has me salivating in anticipation, as the bands mentioned here are exactly my kind of thing. As for TWG, well the debut is an excellent slab of twisted, angular death metal. Dark Circles is most certainly on my list for my next purchase, and I STILL need to track down physical copies of both What Once Was... ep's.

My collection

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:06 am 

I'm here for you. :thumbsup: Speaking of which:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6dgnTgrCWA

Just found this through the I, Voidhanger label site and it sounds quite promising. Probably worth picking up for the fantastic cover art alone.

Oh, Crushed, I think you might also enjoy Mongrel's Cross, across whom I merrily stumbled through their inclusion on the split with Innsmouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOgYrc_sAtc

Speaking of incredible artwork...fucking hell. I'm just not quite sure the music fully lives up to it. What thinkestht thou?

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:12 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Yeah...even on a casual browse through the tracks on this new Abyssal album I'm already very intrigued. Will purchase! This reminds you of Antediluvian, ghengis? Hmm... alright. Definitely getting an altogether different aura here, namely some French black metal influence, but whatevs. This fucking destroys that Bound by Entrails shite people were getting all excited about here earlier this year.

I haven't had a good listen yet I admit, but I was getting a similar "dark and dense and morbid and twisty" vibe. Not a big focus on riffs and instead a lot of being evil which doesn't really impress me much these days. But I admit I've only listened to the first song.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:41 am 

^ I feel the same way about the preference of riff-oriented songs rather than just evil atmosphere. I listened to both the Abyssal albums, the first album, Denouement would be right up your alley. It's like Metantoine said, Incantation but slowed down with an added dose of that goody distorted atmosphere. Their recent 2013 album, while being good in it's own right, is a bit different from Denouement. Relatively less riffage and more chaotic atmosphere. That's how I feel.

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:53 am 

EVERYONE IN THE FORUM: I would like to make an apology. I am sorry for starting that discussion on kids nowadays, and for posting that picture of the kid that had to return his PS3 because he wasn't grateful for that Captain America statue (the ones the collectors put on their shelves) and me saying that it was "good parenting". I usually don't act like that nor think that way at all. I wasn't really acting like myself during that time (it also happened in December 2011 on Christmas break) so that should give you an idea on why I was acting like in ass by saying that those kids are being raised by MTV, etc. and I usually never think that way at all.

So again, I'm sorry for acting like an total moron.

And because of this, I have decided to leave this forum and will not be returning until March 6th. So until then, you will never see ANY post I make from now on until March 6th.

And I know you guys are totally excited to see me leave (especially you Metantione) and will probably throw a "Metalfuckingrules is finally gone" party.

Goodbye everyone. :metal:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:54 am 

The complex atmosphere did sound quite well crafted to my ears... lots of ideas, but tastefully assembled and carefully textured. Pretty fucking good for a home studio project, I'd say. But I know what you guys are talking about, it's a fine line between captivating and tedious with this type of approach, especially when there's always the option to throw on some steamrolling riffmonster like The Doom Skeptron and get to headbanging.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:04 am 

Home studio project? Alright, I'm motivated to do something like that now. Yeah, the complex atmosphere is not something I dislike. As a matter of fact, I'm listening to 'A sheath of deceit' this very moment and enjoying it very much. Abyssal strikes that balance between the instrumentation and atmosphere, without going overboard in either aspect.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:47 am 

:hyper: Yay, more Abyssal conversation.

volutetheswarth wrote:
Abyssal are better than cool, they're generous. A pay-what-you-like option for a masterpiece, complete with artwork and lyrics is truly giving and must be commended. On top of that only a one year wait between releases, that hasn't been done since like the 70's.
With all that being said, Abyssal has to make them self better known. More interviews, regular updates, merch, press releases, tours, etc.

Definitely; the quality of everything about both releases - from lyrics and song-writing to production, artwork and layout - would deserve far, far higher compensation that they'll probably be getting... While it's exciting to be, in a way, part of a 'word-of-mouth' wave of praise for this music, I do hope their adherence to the principles that are motivating them to do this won't result in them one day having to stop what they're doing; then again, given the calibre of what they've produced with, seemingly, few resources, there's the hope that they can keep going for as long as they've got ideas to work with.

@Tony and ghengis: I definitely agree with Tony there - ghengis, I think you'd enjoy Abyssal's first album. There are so many influences there - from doomy death metal to French black metal, as people have said - but there's just something transcendent here. Fantastic.

shouvince wrote:
^ I feel the same way about the preference of riff-oriented songs rather than just evil atmosphere. I listened to both the Abyssal albums, the first album, Denouement would be right up your alley. It's like Metantoine said, Incantation but slowed down with an added dose of that goody distorted atmosphere. Their recent 2013 album, while being good in it's own right, is a bit different from Denouement. Relatively less riffage and more chaotic atmosphere. That's how I feel.

Agreed; I really enjoy both, in different ways.

@Starmere: thanks for the Dark Circles link! I'm still on the hunt for more.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:58 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
I'm here for you. :thumbsup: Speaking of which:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6dgnTgrCWA

Just found this through the I, Voidhanger label site and it sounds quite promising. Probably worth picking up for the fantastic cover art alone.

:wtf:

Are you following my death metal browsing habits? Seriously, it would seem that you and I have some degree of affiliation (really fucking close) regarding taste in death metal eh? This is a band I have been tracking, listening and generally loving the shit out of lately. Probably will end up buying the album.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Oh, Crushed, I think you might also enjoy Mongrel's Cross, across whom I merrily stumbled through their inclusion on the split with Innsmouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOgYrc_sAtc

Speaking of incredible artwork...fucking hell. I'm just not quite sure the music fully lives up to it. What thinkestht thou?

Ohh yeah... Mongrel's Cross... ANOTHER fuckin' ass-kicking outfit, yes I like these guy a lot. A lot. Right up there with the earth shuddering Impious Baptism (new album will destroy faces), but having a little less ferocity (if that's possible).

While we're sharing, I have some treasures that you may, or may not have had the ugly pleasure of hearing, namely Grave Upheaval. Now this has absolutely no subtlety at all (or new), nor will it be for everyone, but holy shit balls is this single-mindedly, utterly, destructively, ferocious. Ridiculous.

Another band winging it's way to me soon is the excellent Doombringer. Their heritage is solid, consisting of some underground Polish maniacs, and is some finely crafted death. Very cool logo as well...

My collection

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:31 am 

Ah, Impious Baptism; that band keeps popping up everywhere recently! He's a hell of a musician - only really know his work in Nocturnal Graves, but that's damn impressive.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 747, 748, 749, 750, 751, 752, 753 ... 827  Next