* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
slayer85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:16 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
slayer85 wrote:
Hails! Im looking for dark occult death metal in the vein of Incantation and Masoleoum. Any good reccomendations?

Ignivomous
Dead Congregation
Father Befouled
Crucimentum
Grave Miasma

Thanks for the recommendations! I listened through all the works by the band Dead Congregation and I'm instantly hooked! Their full length album is yet another album worth getting after the holidays! The other bands sound promising too! Hails!

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:04 pm 

slayer85 wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:

Disma
Antediluvian
Sonne Adam

I'm listening to Disma now, and totally digging the full length album! The latter two will be next in previewing! I plan on buying album from all the bands recommended in due time as I like this style of death metal so much! Thanks a lot! :)

Glad to hear it. :)

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:57 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
In other rec questions, I've come to discover two of my current favorite OSDM releases are Amorphis' Privilege of Evil and Thou Shalt Suffer's Into the Woods of Belial demo. They've both got those sickly amphibious vocals, eerie keyboards, and plenty of rapid structural changes. Anyone recommend anything close to these?

Now, I'm a little late on this, BUT I (hopefully) do have some recs for you:

Innsmouth from Australia have some deep gloom in their compositions, and well, with that name how could you resist?

Zom from Ireland are still in embryonic stage, but bloody hell this demo rules hard. Pretty damn awesome stuff from the death metal primordial soup.

Manipulator from France I will keep on reccing until someone checks out the Voidbound EP because it's fucking AMAZING! Great obfuscated atmosphere with filth driven crushing power. Bloody brilliant. This clip however is the ONLY damn YT one I can find, and I couldn't be arsed uploading one from my EP (got no-one but myself to blame then eh?).

These are the only ones I could think of for your specific request, but I hope they have at least shown you something of interest.

My collection

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:16 am 

Cheers, Crushed! Will check these ASAP and duly report on them.

(You're quite right about Innsmouth. Ah, childhood memories. You have no idea how many postcards I receive from home each year, all scrawled in the same spidery, deteriorating hand, bidding me return. Perhaps when I'm ready to settle down, spawn, and start a brood of my own.)

EDIT: Some great stuff there!

ZOM has an awesomely heady sound that reminds me a bit of a more opaque Graveless. The only points that rankle here are the flimsy interludes (a minor point) and the fact that almost all the tracks on this demo seem to end prematurely, just when they're actually starting to build into something fantastic. Kind of frustrating in that sense, but still, really nice work.

Innsmouth I'm still warming to (putrefying before?). This track from She-Goat that you linked is quite good, though parts of The Departure of Shub-Niggurath that I've sampled didn't hit the mark quite so well. I do like their somewhat unexpected delivery, there seems to be more of a fertile stylistic blend happening in their music, though I think it'll still take a bit of exposure for me to fully appreciate what they're offering. Unfortunately, as a side note, their aesthetic doesn't strike me as particularly Lovecraftian, which is a bit of a letdown ;)

Manipulator is probably my favorite of these links... very atmospheric, with fog-shrouded audial field; those cryptic, reaching lead guitars a la Privilege of Evil; and a more unique vocal delivery than you'd normally find. I know I heard this some time ago when you linked it elsewhere, but I'm glad you reminded me of it. It's a shame more of their stuff isn't available in some form online, because I'm really curious to hear more.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:31 am 

Whoa. I wasn't overly impressed by Ignivomous' Death Transmutation and so didn't bother checking out Contragenesis until now, but damn... the title track at least is fucking head-crushing. Must consume.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:34 am 

Anyone heard of this band Desolate Shrine? I get the idea a lot of the old school DM regulars would love em. Long, sprawling songs, oceanic riff-work and just crushing, frenetic brutality even in spite of their sophistication. The album cover and song titles are all great, too. I only listened to it once so far, but it is really fucking good. Here's a sample.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:46 am 

Mr Starmere I am pleased that you have found at least something here to grab onto with your rubbery... hands? Excellent news indeed. As far as Manipulator is concerned, you really must hear the Voidbound EP, as it contains the song I linked, but re-recorded and somehow even more strung out and desperate than this rough version. It also includes a stunning rendition of Cromlech, as well as two other equally crushing, and damn unsettling odes. The EP comes with the Unearthed demo as a bonus, which is well worth the time.

As for Zom, well they are still embryonic, so hopefully next releases will be more cohesive as a whole.

As for Desolate Shrine, this band is on my list, and will be among my next purchases. I've heard/seen enough to have my interest more than piqued.

My collection

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:39 am 

So, I've recently started getting into Nunslaughter, but I've only heard Goat and Hell's Unholy Fire and I love them both. Now, where do I go from here? They have a pretty big discography and some of the stuff is pretty hard to find. I've been looking for some compilations, but I don't really know which of them to start with. I don't want anything extremely much rawer than Hell's Unholy Fire. Any suggestions?
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Vikare
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:43 am 

Looking for some more Finnish Death/Doom along the lines of Rippikoulu.

A friend of mine recommended Swallowed as a modern counterpart and whilst I think their sound is crushing, it feels as though their sound is still treading in its infancy. So I'm looking for something that's "festered" for a longer duration, haha

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:52 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:
So, I've recently started getting into Nunslaughter, but I've only heard Goat and Hell's Unholy Fire and I love them both. Now, where do I go from here? They have a pretty big discography and some of the stuff is pretty hard to find. I've been looking for some compilations, but I don't really know which of them to start with. I don't want anything extremely much rawer than Hell's Unholy Fire. Any suggestions?

You should also get their other album, Hex. As for the remaining stuff it's really hard to say which is worth it. Most of the releases are 3-4 song EPs or live renditions of studio tracks, demo versions, etc. There are a couple of compilations that you could check, this and this.

Vikare wrote:
Looking for some more Finnish Death/Doom along the lines of Rippikoulu.

A friend of mine recommended Swallowed as a modern counterpart and whilst I think their sound is crushing, it feels as though their sound is still treading in its infancy. So I'm looking for something that's "festered" for a longer duration, haha

There's a separate sticky for death/doom and funeral doom. But something Finnish and as dragging as Rippikoulu... Try the other thread, you'll get better luck perhaps.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:52 pm 

I have Hex too! But I'll look into those compilations, thanks!

If anyone else has suggestions, fire away!
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:15 pm 

You can listen to all of Demoslaughter online here
http://hellsheadbangers.bandcamp.com/al ... oslaughter
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

SSatanicSSatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:02 am 

I listen to plenty of 1 man Black Metal bands but I do not know of many 1 man Death Metal bands. I enjoy Putrid Pile, Insidious Decrepancy, Bloadsoaked and Syphilic. Recommend me any 1 man Death Metal that is good. A band can sounds like Morbid Angel, Obituary, Deicide, Vomitory, Spawn of Possession or whatever. As long as its good I will like it. I do not want mediocre music in the vein Cemetery Rapist, Goremonger or Chainsaw Dissection(And that dipshits million other bands).

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:54 am 

SSatanicSSatan wrote:
I listen to plenty of 1 man Black Metal bands but I do not know of many 1 man Death Metal bands. I enjoy Putrid Pile, Insidious Decrepancy, Bloadsoaked and Syphilic. Recommend me any 1 man Death Metal that is good. A band can sounds like Morbid Angel, Obituary, Deicide, Vomitory, Spawn of Possession or whatever. As long as its good I will like it. I do not want mediocre music in the vein Cemetery Rapist, Goremonger or Chainsaw Dissection(And that dipshits million other bands).

While theyre not a one mand band, Plague Angel sounds very similar to Bloodsoaked
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Plague_Angel/118430

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:53 pm 

One of my favorite local bands http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Grinkai/3540331684 has their debut avaliable on cd baby. Check it out if you like thrashy death metal with plenty of breakdowns.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/grinkai

Last FM

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:58 pm 

Here be Lago.

http://lagometal.bandcamp.com/album/tyranny-demo
http://lagometal.bandcamp.com/album/marianas
https://www.facebook.com/LagoMetal

Excellent death metal from Arizona. Think like if Blessed-era Morbid Angel, Emperor, and Aeon mated and Lago popped out.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:44 am 

I recommend them (Lago) wholeheartedly. The first EP is full of fast blastbeats, killer tremolo riffs and vicious, deep growls. It won't blow your face off, but it's very enjoyable.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:23 am 

The two new songs definitely are different from Marianas while still being the same band. The material is quite a bit faster than most of Marianas and the vocals of both Cole and Garrett have changed, with Cole being slightly less demonically low and Garrett not sounding like if Nattramn didn't suck anymore. Plus on The Coming Cataclysm the death metal element is there pretty much in full throughout the song.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

SSatanicSSatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:44 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
SSatanicSSatan wrote:
While theyre not a one mand band, Plague Angel sounds very similar to Bloodsoaked
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Plague_Angel/118430
these guys sound good but I am only looking for 1 man bands. With this recommendation I am more concerned with a Death Metal band being 1 man then the bands sound as long as the sound is good.

Does anyone know of any good 1 man DM bands that are not the ones I have mentioned?

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:04 am 

SSatanicSSatan wrote:
Does anyone know of any good 1 man DM bands that are not the ones I have mentioned?

Try Weeping Birth.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:05 am 

SSatanicSSatan wrote:

Cocytus

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:52 am 

Do you guys know anything that sounds like Celtic Frost had they gone into full blown death metal territory? You know, kind of a Morbid Tales/To Mega Therion sound with actual growls and blast beats included. Thanks in advance!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:28 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Do you guys know anything that sounds like Celtic Frost had they gone into full blown death metal territory? You know, kind of a Morbid Tales/To Mega Therion sound with actual growls and blast beats included. Thanks in advance!

CF with blast beats? That would kind of defeat the initial point wouldn't it? :p

Don't know if you'll find anything like that, I mean, you can find more than enough bands bearing similarities to early CF but they usually play with elements from those two releases more than anything.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:49 pm 

Well, yeah, it's just that I was hoping for some kind of extreme form of early CF worship :-P

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:02 pm 

You'll have better luck finding thrashy doom and thrashy black and doomy black and whatnot than getting CF inspired DM with blast beats. :p

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:16 pm 

:( :( :(

Guess I'll go back to To Mega Therion then.....

Xyphler
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:38 pm 

Looking for riff heavy death metal which has a groovy feel to it. A good reference is the song "Vault to the Voyaget" by The Chasm.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:15 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:

There's nothing wrong with that, I personally feel that it's one of the best albums ever made! :nods:

Xyphler wrote:
Looking for riff heavy death metal which has a groovy feel to it. A good reference is the song "Vault to the Voyaget" by The Chasm.

Usually groovy death metal has a lesser number of riffs when compared to more upbeat styles, nothing as riffy as The Chasm. With that being said you could try Demigod's Slumber of Sullen Eyes, or just dive straight into Bolt Thrower's entire discography! :p

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:56 pm 

androdion wrote:
or just dive straight into Bolt Thrower's entire discography! :p

Haha I considered just posting Bolt Thrower myself but figured it was too obvious
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:37 am 

androdion wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

There's nothing wrong with that, I personally feel that it's one of the best albums ever made! :nods:

Of course there's nothing wrong with that! And sorry if my comment sounded like I felt any other way. It's just that I was hoping to find something that reproduced the ideas of that album in a more monstrous context.....

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:34 am 

It didn't sound like that. :p

BreedingtheSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:38 pm 

Looking for albums similar to Soilwork- The Chainheart Machine and Predator's Portrait? Albums with a bit of keyboards. I already know of stuff by Hypocrisy.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:18 pm 

BreedingtheSpawn wrote:
Looking for albums similar to Soilwork- The Chainheart Machine and Predator's Portrait? Albums with a bit of keyboards. I already know of stuff by Hypocrisy.

In Flames circa 98/99 and Darkane are bound to make your day. Also try Dark Tranquillity, for instance Haven.

~Guest 300273
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:35 pm 

Revocation is pretty good. Instrumental wise at least. It's a mix of death and thrash metal and they are very talented. The vocals are their only flaw in my opinion, which has a metal core feel to it, which is either good or bad depending on the listener. You can listen to their new ep Teratogenesis for free (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&ved=0CEsQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.metalinjection.net%2Fav%2Fdownload-revocations-teratogenesis-ep-for-free-right-now&ei=cgTiUIOtEYTgqgHhzIGACw&usg=AFQjCNHedo6KSyerEi6-JsrE7srz1LTGyg&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.aWc)

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:39 pm 

I'm listening to Skeletal Remains' Beyond the Flesh at the moment. Fans of OSDM should enjoy this. It's plain and simple stuff but it sure rules hard. :headbang:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:07 am 

It def does. I've been meaning to pick it up for quite awhile, but I know DDR is going to be caring it soon with some more FDA releases so I'm just going to wait till then and order there.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:53 pm 

Okay, so Innsmouth's "The Plutonian Drug" kicks ass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT-MjbV-3Zc

Can anyone recommend anything else that sounds like this? I'd be curious to know what influences they might be pulling from here, if any come to mind.
Will repost in the black metal thread as well.

The Nightmare Rider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:10 pm 

I'm not entirely sure if the purpose of this thread allows for Melodic Death metal, but here goes anyway;

My knowledge of Melodic Death Metal is fairly limited, so I would like some recommendations as to some that may fit my taste. I'm a big fan of bands like Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity, Gormathon, Wintersun and Dethklok. The general qualities I love in these are the catchy riffs, the vocals that really project themselves and feel very powerful, as well as them being clear enough to understand what they are saying.

I'm also a fan of bands that crossover Melodic Death Metal with other subgenres, particularly Power and Folk Metal. Perfect examples of this would be Children of Bodom, Amaranthe, Whispered and Eluveitie. Does anyone know any good bands like these? Thanks in advance .

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:45 pm 

Only like the 90's melodeath scene so can only say the obvious ones which you are probably aware of: In Flames, Soilwork, Kalmah, Norther, Insomnium... Also check this list out, might be some of a similar style you'll like http://rateyourmusic.com/list/autothrall/autothralls_melodic_death_depot_200.

Can anyone recommend me some albums that has that certain tech death metal or thrash sound from early 90's? Can't really describe it well so here are some examples of what I mean:

Atheist - Piece of Time, Unquestionable Presence
Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients
Cynic - Demo 1990, Demo 1991
Death - Human
Hellwitch - Syzygial Miscreancy

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:04 pm 

That list is definitely a good start. ;)

@LifeDemise - There's early Gorguts if that's not too obvious. For something a little more obscure give Electrocution, Chemical Breath and Eternal Dirge a go. Only their debut albums though.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184 ... 289  Next